Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negative Ions

Excuse My Ignorance - Testing Question

With the bans on testing, and all the gripes about young drivers not getting any time in the car I would like to pose the following:

Kimi will be testing in a 2009 car, does that count toward testing? Apparently he will get several extra days as a result so that would suggest it doesn't. If in fact it doesn't, what is the problem with the testing restriction if they can just jump into a slightly older car and do a myriad of laps? I know they change from year to year, but spending time in a 2 year old F1 car is not too bad really is it? Is it?

With the bans on testing, and all the gripes about young drivers not getting any time in the car I would like to pose the following:

Kimi will be testing in a 2009 car, does that count toward testing? Apparently he will get several extra days as a result so that would suggest it doesn't. If in fact it doesn't, what is the problem with the testing restriction if they can just jump into a slightly older car and do a myriad of laps? I know they change from year to year, but spending time in a 2 year old F1 car is not too bad really is it? Is it?

Yes, I think he can test using an older spec car as they'de like. Apart from the only 15 days of testing per year, he can get use to the "new" car doing promotional obligations, the same way Massa did this year...

I admit I also don't know the "full story" behind testing

Yes, I think he can test using an older spec car as they'de like. Apart from the only 15 days of testing per year, he can get use to the "new" car doing promotional obligations, the same way Massa did this year...

I admit I also don't know the "full story" behind testing

You mean to tell me that Massa got used to the car? :unsure:;)

Not sure, N.I., but an excellent question as I was wondering the same thing.

The reason they can get away with it, is because usually the 2 year old cars have been sold to a "separate" entity. Thus it's considered a private test and there are no rules and restrictions on that. That's my understanding on it anyway.

I hate F1 drivers not being able to test. It's absolutely ridiculous. They should have more sessions during the year, where they stay at a race track after the main event and can put in a good week of testing. The team, the cars and equipment are already there, thus it has to be cheaper than flying everything out to some remote track for a 2 day test. I think Todt might have brought up the idea of having more in season testing. It needs to happen as it's a mockery. NO other form of sport has a restriction where you cannot practice. Secondly the teams might make more money due to having a few test drivers with various sponsorship. The only negative I see is when Ferrari used to bang around their private track week in, week out. That's clearly not going to happen, but having virtually no testing isn't appealing either.

You mean to tell me that Massa got used to the car? :unsure:;)

Not sure, N.I., but an excellent question as I was wondering the same thing.

Sorry, what actually happened was that they got to test new parts mid-year with Massa using the promotional angle...

The testing ban was a symbolic gesture - nothing more. It was ill-thought.

But its reintroduction would be eco-back peddaling and politically incorrect. Humans don't like to think they are going backwards, even if they didn't move forward in the first place.

It is considered testing if the car conforms substantially to the 2010 or 2011 rules, or the 2012 rules. (the dates change to suit the year of the current season)

This means you can use a two season old car(including the current season, ie even at the first race of 2011, you could only test in a 2009 car) to your hearts content, as this car is not considered to comply with the test car definition above. Alternatively, you can use a car from 2 seasons or more in the future, too....

Straight forward really.

It is considered testing if the car conforms substantially to the 2010 or 2011 rules, or the 2012 rules. (the dates change to suit the year of the current season)

This means you can use a two season old car(including the current season, ie even at the first race of 2011, you could only test in a 2009 car) to your hearts content, as this car is not considered to comply with the test car definition above. Alternatively, you can use a car from 2 seasons or more in the future, too....

Straight forward really.

That's why we value you and the info comes in really handy

Straight forward really.

Got off my a## and did what I should have done in the first place.

Published with permission from the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile.

22) TRACK AND WIND TUNNEL TESTING

22.1 Track testing shall be considered any track running time not partof an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship, using carswhich conform substantially with the 2010, 2011 or 2012 Formula One TechnicalRegulations, with the exception of promotional events carried out using tyresprovided specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier.

22.2 No competitor may carry out more than 15,000km of track testingduring a calendar year.

22.3 No track testing may take place :

a) Whilst a Championship Event is taking place.

B) During the month of August except under c) iii) below.

c) Between the start of the week preceding the first Event of theChampionship and 31 December of the same year with the following exceptions :

i) One three day young driver training test, carried out on a siteapproved by the FIA for Formula 1 cars either, between the end of the lastEvent of the Championship and 31 December of the same year or, at any othertime during the Championship season following the agreement of all competitorsand the FIA. No driver who has competed in more than two F1 World Championshipraces may take part in this test and all drivers must be in possession of anInternational A Licence.

ii) Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straightline or constant radius sites between 1 January 2012 and the end of the lastEvent of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four hoursof wind-on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twentyfour hour period.

iii) If a team declares that one of its current race drivers is to besubstituted by a driver who has not participated in an F1 race in the twoprevious calendar years, one day of track testing will be permitted between thestart of the week preceding second Event and the last Event of theChampionship. The following must be observed :

- Any such day may only be carried out by the new driver and may nottake place on a circuit hosting a race in the current Championship year.

- Any such day may only take place within a period 14 days prior to thesubstitution and 14 days after the substitution has taken place.

- If a team, having declared the driver's substitution and performed thetest, does not then enter an Event with the new driver, the team will bepenalised by a reduction of one day from the pre-season track testing daysavailable in the following year.

22.4 During all track testing cars must be fitted with the FIA ECUrequired by Article 8.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.

22.5 No track testing is permitted at sites which are not currentlyapproved for use by Formula 1 cars. In order to ensure that venue licenceconditions are respected at all times during track testing, competitors arerequired to inform the FIA of their test schedule in order that an observer maybe appointed if deemed necessary.

22.6 During all Formula One track testing :

a) Red flag and chequered flag procedures must be respected.

B) No other type of vehicle is permitted on the track.

c) Every reasonable effort should be made to ensure that therecommendations concerning emergency services detailed in Article 16 ofAppendix H to the Code are followed.

22.7 If, after an incident during track testing, the Medical WarningLight signals that threshold forces have been exceeded the driver must presenthimself for examination in the circuit medical centre without delay.

22.8 With the exception of the full scale testing permitted in 22.1(a)above, no wind tunnel testing may be carried out using a scale model which isgreater than 60% of full size.

22.9 No wind tunnel testing may be carried out at a speed exceeding 50metres/second.

Basically, if the car is pre-2010 spec and the test mileage, [including the official allowance of 15 days?] does not exceed the limits set dow in FIA regs, Kimi can test to his heart's content. Why teams don't run a program for their reserve driver teams using this loophole has always confused me.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read down enough to see you have answered your own questionblush.gif

Schui did the same before he returned as I understand it.

I seem to remember it was a GP2 car.

Basically, if the car is pre-2010 spec and the test mileage, [including the official allowance of 15 days?] does not exceed the limits set dow in FIA regs, Kimi can test to his heart's content. Why teams don't run a program for their reserve driver teams using this loophole has always confused me.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read down enough to see you have answered your own questionblush.gif

Yeah I dont understand it either.

Straight forward really.

Not to me! I lost my brain remember? I can't remember! What? Testing?

I still don't get it though. Why can they use a "future" car? Am confused. Your fault!

I'll explain it to you later then, sweetie. Maybe even draw you some pictures so you can keep up :P