Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

admin

Moderators

Your honesty is always refreshing. You and I tend to agree on some issues and not agree on others, but I can always count on you to be genuine. That, sir, is a valuable quality. If you post it, I will read.

Yep, Honesty...we all like it, actually I love it. But when honesty is driven by a personal agenda you have to question it's motives..

It's the same as having good intentions but never fulfulling them... I have had friends who had really good intentions, but when the crunch comes they fall flat. It's the deed that counts not what we say and promise...rather disappointing...

Cav can do a deed that would be more worthy than spewing his personal war of useless words against another member of this forum, but he won't...

I don't think mods can do much to "bring this place back to its glory days". I never felt the lack of mods was a problem for the forum to lose its glory. Their job is not about that at all but you cav did a fine post just to state you don't like Craig.

You are free to write what you please but don't pretend you care about this place. This is f***ing hypocritical.

Thanks Cav, I appreciate that.

The "glory days" have never really gone away. People have just grown up, got lives to live and can't post as often. It happens.

Sure, I miss Alastair, Dan, John, Ankit, Shane, Jay(funke), Antonia, Kati and others. But it doesn't mean to say I like any of you less because of it. In fact I've gotten to know a few of you pretty well. You lot could still start a buzz in a hornets nest and be great friends 5 minutes later.

I've read too much of this "glory days" stuff. I enjoy better conversations now than I did then. The calibre of posters here is awesome and you guys know your stuff. Once in a while we get a new member who has the nuts to post his/her opinion which actually impacts and forces us to think outside the box. If anything, I think new members feel a little intimidated by the calibre of posters here, so just sit in the wings instead. I mean, Caesar for example. Started here with massive font. p**sed everyone off. Stuck it out. Had a fight over being a c#ck with me. He's still here, and I respect him for that. He has very good knowledge and we know this because he had the nuts to stay.

Maybe if we started a new welcome thread, with an option for members to post more about themselves through a series of questions (nothing too serious) like favourite f1 driver, favourite drink, favourite type of music, least favourite race of the season, hair colour, eye colour, celebrity crush, what are you reading/listening to right now, and give them the option to ask the members forum a question. In my previous experience it worked a treat and the place was never short of a few new threads a day.

Whilst we're not treating new members with kid gloves, we are giving the opportunity to feel like we want them here, to stay and enjoy this place like we do.

Up to you.

I really like that idea, Steph. Have the existing members fill it out, too. I think it isn't always obvious to our silent audience how close-knit this forum is, and how easy it is for new members to be a part of that. James and I, for example, have been talking off the board since we were 13 and know a lot about each other well beyond F1; though I've heard he knows more about me than he ever bargained for. :lol:

I think anything that shows a less serious side and a sense of community goes a long way. Another forum I belonged on did a lot of that; we did "20 questions with..." one member each week, asked 20 questions through PM, then posted a thread and we all talked about it. Same forum would have massive celebrations for members' birthdays and even some of the more obscure drivers (mostly the ones sponsored by boner pills) where we'd all change our avatars and signatures and make PhotoShops and all sorts of things poking fun at whoever we were honoring. We went through a phase where all of our posts were in the style of a commentator we particularly disliked with his overused phrases and such. A lot of inside jokes were born there, mostly at the expense of the moderators. ;) Other times people would just start a thread..."hey, this is something I'm working on that I really care about" and share an interest or their career or something they attended or read or whatever. It's stuff like that, spontaneous stuff, that brings out a community and I think when you pair that with the high level of discussion we do have here, you're going to be getting the most out of this forum, whatever that level is.

I remember people talking about "ykick disease." You know we can still do stuff like that guys. If you think something might be fun, say it! Worst case scenario is you end up like the time I tried to use a trivia game to auction off the rights to making my avatar and no one played. :lol:

Glory days? You don't get them "back" sitting there all nostalgic. The forum could be more active, we could get more new members signing up, sure. But that involves going forward, not resetting to 2005. Old members will return or not return at their own will, while new members will feel somewhat distant or excluded from a forum that's focused on people they have never even heard about.

I'm having a lot of fun with this forum in recent months. I think we have a good group. Just keep posting about what interests you, show that you care about the topics and the people and having a good time, and the forum will be what it will be. Don't get caught up in trying to do the impossible and let that ruin your enjoyment of what we have. We don't know what the guests want to see here.

I've posted on so many forums in the last few years. If you ever want to learn to appreciate TF1, try posting elsewhere. This place is really great, but no one's going to believe that if we don't. When the people already signed up are complaining, no one new is going to join to find out why.

Just some thoughts.

I mean, Caesar for example. Started here with massive font. p**sed everyone off. Stuck it out. Had a fight over being a c#ck with me. He's still here, and I respect him for that. He has very good knowledge and we know this because he had the nuts to stay.

Yes, good knowledge, I could see right from the beginning that he was very passionate about the sport. He also has some very thick skin, which helped, as you say.

Although Caesar brings another dimension to the forum, but we still need to get his real name :naughty:

@Eric - thanks dude! My brain is still ticking away somewhere so I'm happy! Also, I completely agree with everything you said.

@Brad - I know it! :naughty: But I made him a promise to not tell. So I can't. :lol:

You, the poster above.

I like your signature, below the picture, the last paragraph.

"To be brutal and honest I don't have a thin skin and others who whine over every little thing will not curry favour. I'm just going to try to keep this place fun, as it has been for all of these years." Pumpdoc, 8th Decemeber 2010.

Hello. Is this 2006?

I don't get that. Guess I'm not meant to.

Speaking of Bruce though, he once told me "TF1 is full of whiny old bitches at times. You just gotta let em have their PMT moments."

I don't get that. Guess I'm not meant to.

Cav, Mike and others, in full swing. Felt like the past.

Get it now, thicko?

You are too arrogant, too divisive, and your buttons are too easily pressed for you to inspire any respect as a moderator. Unlike the three people above, you are extremely vulnerable to being corrupted by power and you know that. Be the bigger person and do what's best for this fragile community. You can't resist stirring the pot, taking a dig, insulting someone or mocking a serious discussion. Most importantly, you are utterly incapable of admitting that you were wrong.

Pot, kettle, black.

favourite drink

Or favourite food in your case, Edna :P

Oops sorry remembered you are one of the bosses now, must be on best behaviour. :)

On a more serious note....... Middle C :)

And seriously think your idea of a new welcome page is good, but throw a bit of humour in there too. Favourite joke/position or summat.

Also agree that allthe talk of glory days is borrocks. When I first came into this forum there were massive fights going on with flaming posts between some members not here present. We tend to forget the body of the experience and just remember the frothy head....

Cav, Mike and others, in full swing. Felt like the past.

Get it now, thicko?

:roll: F**k you, sh**head. :P

Your honesty is always refreshing. You and I tend to agree on some issues and not agree on others, but I can always count on you to be genuine. That, sir, is a valuable quality. If you post it, I will read.

Coming back to this point, actually the person that I think is really honest and just himself...is Steve... no pretences from him.

:roll: F**k you, sh**head. :P

:lol: xx

Coming back to this point, actually the person that I think is really honest and just himself...is Steve... no pretences from him.

Thank you Bradley, that made me feel warm inside. As true as I sit here on my diamond encrusted throne, stroking my pet unicorn.

All, please leave my unicorn out of this. You're giving me the horn.

Brad is a kiss-a##, Brad is a kiss-a##!! :P

This moderator thing is fun! I checked Chris' IP address. It said he was in Thailand at the Gotsumcok Tavern and was eyeing up two rather fetching ladyboys.

I'm happy for ya, Mrs Doubtfire ;):P:lol:

This moderator thing is fun! I checked Chris' IP address. It said he was in Thailand at the Gotsumcok Tavern and was eyeing up two rather fetching ladyboys.

Now come on Edna. we all know this IP address business is nonsense and it was really you behind the bar of the same tavern polishing the glasses. I wouldn't mind, but did you really have to spit in them first? :D

Now come on Edna. we all know this IP address business is nonsense and it was really you behind the bar of the same tavern polishing the glasses. I wouldn't mind, but did you really have to spit in them first? :D

Banned for 1 month.

:P;)