Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

2012 Preseason Predictions Thread

Here's my predictions for the 2012 season, based on hope and no insight whatsoever.

Vettel will not win the WDC. Winning it 3 times on the bounce is just greedy as well as being very, very difficult. When Schumacher did his 5 on the bounce he had the whole team behind him and a team mate who was not allowed to race him, competition from the other teams at the time was not of a high standard (JPM & RS at Williams were more interested in beating each other than beating Ferrari, KR at McLaren often compromised by their race strategy which meant they qualified lower in the top 10). That's not the case with Vettel, therefore the difficulty level is so much higher and you've got to hope that the other teams will close the gap to RBR.

Alonso will wiin the WDC. He hasn't won since 2006 so its about time he won again. It's a crazy prediction given the 1st winter testing session and the quotes from Pat Fry, but I think they will knuckle down and get on with the work to make the car better over the whole of the season and will take the drivers title. I'm a bit worried about technical side of Ferrari but I'm going to stick with Alonso to win.

RBR will win the constructors but Webber will take wins from Seb as he did in 2010.

Surprise package will be Mercedes AMG. They will solve the tyre munching problem over the winter and make a step forward. Rosberg break his duck and will win more than 1 GP this season. He'll be in the hunt for the championship but not be able to sustain it.

If all of the above is true it must mean that McLaren will fall back. Button and Hamilton will take a win each but other than that it'll be slim pickings. Hamilton will get dumped by Nicole again and that will send his form into a tailspin. He will start writing to newspaper agony aunts for answers to his questions about relationships, Whitmarsh will get fed up with him.

STR will find out that their new drivers are no better than their old drivers.

Caterham will score a point or two this season.

Lotus will be similar to what they were last season.

Williams will struggle.

No one will watch the SKY coverage.

Here's my predictions for the 2012 season, based on hope and no insight whatsoever.

Vettel will not win the WDC. Winning it 3 times on the bounce is just greedy as well as being very, very difficult. When Schumacher did his 5 on the bounce he had the whole team behind him and a team mate who was not allowed to race him, competition from the other teams at the time was not of a high standard (JPM & RS at Williams were more interested in beating each other than beating Ferrari, KR at McLaren often compromised by their race strategy which meant they qualified lower in the top 10). That's not the case with Vettel, therefore the difficulty level is so much higher and you've got to hope that the other teams will close the gap to RBR.

Alonso will wiin the WDC. He hasn't won since 2006 so its about time he won again. It's a crazy prediction given the 1st winter testing session and the quotes from Pat Fry, but I think they will knuckle down and get on with the work to make the car better over the whole of the season and will take the drivers title. I'm a bit worried about technical side of Ferrari but I'm going to stick with Alonso to win.

RBR will win the constructors but Webber will take wins from Seb as he did in 2010.

Surprise package will be Mercedes AMG. They will solve the tyre munching problem over the winter and make a step forward. Rosberg break his duck and will win more than 1 GP this season. He'll be in the hunt for the championship but not be able to sustain it.

If all of the above is true it must mean that McLaren will fall back. Button and Hamilton will take a win each but other than that it'll be slim pickings. Hamilton will get dumped by Nicole again and that will send his form into a tailspin. He will start writing to newspaper agony aunts for answers to his questions about relationships, Whitmarsh will get fed up with him.

STR will find out that their new drivers are no better than their old drivers.

Caterham will score a point or two this season.

Lotus will be similar to what they were last season.

Williams will struggle.

No one will watch the SKY coverage.

We all have out hopes SG...

I wouldn't agree with all of Senna's Ghost's predictions, but the only one I would really argue against (since most of my disagreements are based, too, on hope) is the STR one. I don't think anyone ever thought much of Alguersuari and Buemi coming in; I didn't. I've seen Vergne and Ricciardo race, because I followed WSR last year for good Toronto boy Bobby Wickens. Both are more highly touted than Alguersuari or Buemi ever were, which doesn't mean they're better, but it does indicate they have a bit more flash. Less experience, so in year one, yeah, they might not be better, but I just feel both have real potential whereas last year's pair were "dead-end" drivers, who had reached the highest point they ever really could.

That said, Vergne lost the title to his teammate (the aforementioned hero of Massa's European racing interests, Wickens, who stays fit in the off-season playing pond hockey), even though he had the bigger backing (Red Bull). Still looked to have "it," if you know what I mean, more than Wickens did, regretfully for me though I actually regard JEV as a nice guy, albeit more of your typical one-dimensional racing driver (the standard for F1) than guys I'd normally support (which is why I don't really get behind him). Wickens won with some character, some heart, some grit, and some luck. Vergne lost with a hell of a lot more ability and potential.

Ricciardo, well, he was pretty good at HRT, I think, but I have one real concern with the guy, and no, it isn't that he has enjoyed NASCAR since he was a little kid and I don't like sharing. ;)

You see, he knew he had his Friday drives lined up, and he knew he was hot s*** in the Abu Dhabi young drivers' romp (but come on, he was also in the Red Bull, no one else had that kind of car to play with). He lost the WSR title the year before, hell, would have finished behind Guerrieri too (shame Guerrieri's resigned himself to a life in IndyCar's on his government's dime). He knew he couldn't win it this year since he was going to miss some rounds, and despite being with the top team, ISR, he really just phoned it in. Had he run all the races, he still would have placed behind Wickens and Vergne if you adjusted his points total to a full season. He wasn't motivated. I get it; he didn't have to be. He was all set for his future, nothing to prove, but you know what, I think that's a gutless way to be. Red Bull kicks you to the curb (well, Red Bull kicked Mikhail Aleshin and Wickens to the curb and they went on to win the next two World Series by Renault titles over Red Bull guys so I guess Ricciardo would've done something if he were gone) for whatever reason, and it just reflects poorly on you trying to convince people you're motivated when your references down the ladder are saying you didn't give a damn and just went out for some Sunday drives, thinking less about the weekend and more about your future. I'm sure Ricciardo's a nice kid, he's young, he's on top of the world, but you gotta have some character to impress me.

Still think if Ricciardo can keep his head in it and not be overwhelmed, and Vergne can just be Vergne, STR has a line up that will go places. Buemi and Alguersuari weren't going places; they went. As far as they ever could. I wish Buemi well in that pretty Toyota, seems to me he's doing what he ought to do, and Alguersuari, well, maybe Mercedes has some hope for you but dammit if Mercedes-Benz North America could just say "you know the guy we really want is Bob Wickens"...

I wouldn't agree with all of Senna's Ghost's predictions, but the only one I would really argue against (since most of my disagreements are based, too, on hope) is the STR one. I don't think anyone ever thought much of Alguersuari and Buemi coming in; I didn't. I've seen Vergne and Ricciardo race, because I followed WSR last year for good Toronto boy Bobby Wickens. Both are more highly touted than Alguersuari or Buemi ever were, which doesn't mean they're better, but it does indicate they have a bit more flash. Less experience, so in year one, yeah, they might not be better, but I just feel both have real potential whereas last year's pair were "dead-end" drivers, who had reached the highest point they ever really could.

That said, Vergne lost the title to his teammate (the aforementioned hero of Massa's European racing interests, Wickens, who stays fit in the off-season playing pond hockey), even though he had the bigger backing (Red Bull). Still looked to have "it," if you know what I mean, more than Wickens did, regretfully for me though I actually regard JEV as a nice guy, albeit more of your typical one-dimensional racing driver (the standard for F1) than guys I'd normally support (which is why I don't really get behind him). Wickens won with some character, some heart, some grit, and some luck. Vergne lost with a hell of a lot more ability and potential.

Ricciardo, well, he was pretty good at HRT, I think, but I have one real concern with the guy, and no, it isn't that he has enjoyed NASCAR since he was a little kid and I don't like sharing. ;)

You see, he knew he had his Friday drives lined up, and he knew he was hot s*** in the Abu Dhabi young drivers' romp (but come on, he was also in the Red Bull, no one else had that kind of car to play with). He lost the WSR title the year before, hell, would have finished behind Guerrieri too (shame Guerrieri's resigned himself to a life in IndyCar's on his government's dime). He knew he couldn't win it this year since he was going to miss some rounds, and despite being with the top team, ISR, he really just phoned it in. Had he run all the races, he still would have placed behind Wickens and Vergne if you adjusted his points total to a full season. He wasn't motivated. I get it; he didn't have to be. He was all set for his future, nothing to prove, but you know what, I think that's a gutless way to be. Red Bull kicks you to the curb (well, Red Bull kicked Mikhail Aleshin and Wickens to the curb and they went on to win the next two World Series by Renault titles over Red Bull guys so I guess Ricciardo would've done something if he were gone) for whatever reason, and it just reflects poorly on you trying to convince people you're motivated when your references down the ladder are saying you didn't give a damn and just went out for some Sunday drives, thinking less about the weekend and more about your future. I'm sure Ricciardo's a nice kid, he's young, he's on top of the world, but you gotta have some character to impress me.

Still think if Ricciardo can keep his head in it and not be overwhelmed, and Vergne can just be Vergne, STR has a line up that will go places. Buemi and Alguersuari weren't going places; they went. As far as they ever could. I wish Buemi well in that pretty Toyota, seems to me he's doing what he ought to do, and Alguersuari, well, maybe Mercedes has some hope for you but dammit if Mercedes-Benz North America could just say "you know the guy we really want is Bob Wickens"...

I understand your point of view on Buemi and Alguersuari. It was so difficult to understand whether they were both drivers on a par with each other and had both found a level they were comfortable at; or they were both pushing and had topped out on the performance they could extract from that car. I am not suggesting that they were world beaters and future world champs, however I do think they are decent performers and worthy of a place on the grid.

I am always weary of drivers who enter the sport with a lot of press and marketing in front of them declaring them to be a bit special. You often find that this does them no service at all and often hinders their career as I think they believe that they will continue with the success they have had throughout their career to this point and it is a bit of a rude awakening when they find themselves qualifying near the back and not having the advantages they enjoyed in the lower formula.

It will be interesting to see how these two measure up to one another over the season. If the tale is similar to Buemi and Alguersuari does that mean they'll be kicked out at the end of next year?

I don't have a lot of faith in Red Bull's program. Few took greater pleasure in Aleshin and Wickens beating Ricciardo and Vergne to win the WSR titles after being released by Red Bull at the end of the 2009 season. I've shared this before, will share it again. Not exactly what I'd call "well-written," but it gets the facts out there:

http://www.popoffvalve.com/2011/8/18/2371386/red-bull-driver-search-feature

It's great that Red Bull are one of the few that are willing to help drivers up the ladder, I'm not going to deny that. It's not so great how they do these terrible contracts, and how STR has been run. Drivers get pinned; if you don't sign the deal, you're not going to have a backer to help you out and there are few others to align with (sure, Lotus has gotten involved in juniors, but, uhh, guys, let's talk about their finances...and all the money they owe racing teams they "sponsored"...and their sudden cutting of any support to a factory engine program in IndyCar...you really think a niche car brand is actually paying to be in F1, Indy, WEC, ALMS, GP2, GP3...). But if you do it, you're absolutely damned. Success? Great, but you're always on Red Bull's leash, no matter where you go. Not attracting the interest of other teams? They'll cut you. They don't want to invest in a driver's development; they want to cash in on a driver making an instant impact and then selling him off to another team. Vettel was an exception; had Red Bull had championship-caliber drivers in the big squad, he wouldn't have been.

And they do what they can to make sure you never resurface. You are required to still wear a Red Bull helmet for three years after they stop funding you. So you can't sell personal helmet sponsorship. That's just more money you're not getting, and that hurts your chances of finding a ride more and more. It's fair to say you're in debt to Red Bull if they get you up the ladder, but not to the extent the contracts mandate.

I suspect, with Red Bull as good of a team as they are, and Vettel as good of a driver as he is and their ability to attract someone else quite good if Webber leaves, that Ricciardo and Vergne are never going to be on the track to graduate to the big club. After all, there's more money in it for Red Bull when they drive for someone else.

The way they ran their NASCAR program, though not for here, was documented as pretty poor, too, though the blunder of blunders was Red Bull driver, a perfectly healthy, athletic twenty-five-year-old, in top fitness, was diagnosed with blood clots. Around the same time studies were coming out linking Red Bull to, you guessed it, blood clots...

Predictions....

Vettel

Hamilton

Button

Alonso

Webber

Rosberg

Kimi

Schumi

Massa

Di Resta

Perez

Grosjean

Kobayashi

Hulkenberg

...others

Hopes...

Webber and Massa prove themselves ineffectual as always and their seats get given to two of the following (probably not until 2013, but the sooner the better)...

Kubica (if he ever returns)

Kimi (instead of Webber - obviously not at Ferrari)

Di Resta

Kobayashi

Heidfeld aaaaaaaah no no no no no NOOOO!

Vettel to win another world championship

Lewis' ego to deflate still further

Massa to touch his toes for anyone but Lewis.

Webber and Schumacher to retire at the end of the season

Kimi to have a massive crash.

Alonso to run Vettel close

Lewis 3rd

Webber 4th

Button 5th

Welcome to TF1, myF1space! Please keep links to your own site in you signature rather than advertising in your posts. Thanks! :)

Actually if you clik the "TF1 Forum Terms & Rules" button there really are no terms and rules so I guess every time we delete spam we're actually violating our end of the user agreement by enforcing rules we don't even have.

I reworded my post for you. :P

@ Massa,

How can you say that Kimi wont win in 2012 ??? IF brown can take WDC in 2009 why not a single race win for Kimi ?????

My Predictions for 2012 season:-

1. Kimi Raikonen will end the 2012 season with two race wins and few podiums(atleast)

2. The first inaugural race, Vettel wont start australian grand prix from Pole, in my prediction, Lewis.

3. Shumi can do nothing this year also, means nico will outperform him every race every quali !

4. Redbull and Mclaren will fight it inch to inch every race !!! Lotus (ofcourse Kimi) will be clinching 'company' for them in podium.

5. Lewis hamilton will outperform button this year

6. Massa can do nothing this year, that means, out of Ferrari by year end !!!

7. I dont expect Brawn coming up with a surprise just like in 2009 !

Hey sid9, welcome!

Never put any weight in my predictions. I once said Brawn Grand Prix would be the only team on the 2009 grid to score 0 points, and that Sebastian Vettel would never win a Grand Prix! ;)

I'd certainly like to see Räikkönen win races. The more drivers to be competitive, the more interesting the season is. Hopefully you will enjoy it with us. :)

Hey sid9, welcome!

Never put any weight in my predictions. I once said Brawn Grand Prix would be the only team on the 2009 grid to score 0 points, and that Sebastian Vettel would never win a Grand Prix! ;)

I'd certainly like to see Räikkönen win races. The more drivers to be competitive, the more interesting the season is. Hopefully you will enjoy it with us. :)

:)

Lets wait till Mar 18th....we will see

Just keen to see how Kimi Raikonnen goes with his Romain Grosjean. I personally think it will make a dynamite combination. Hopefully Lotus' car is more competitive than last year.

Welcome to the forum, nice to have new members! :)

I think Räikkönen/Lotus might be the biggest storyline going into the 2012 season. We've been talking about it for months and still haven't run out of things to say, so it has to be pretty interesting! It's definitely something I'll be following this year, and it's nice to see some optimism about it, too. Like him or not, I think we all want to see guys like Räikkönen at the top of the field, if only to really test Vettel's merit.

Clippo? Who the heck is Clippo?

Perhaps a hippopotamus with chlamydia?

laugh.gif

He's the annoying paper-clip helper thing in windows that tells people what they really don't need or want to know.

Clippo's the kind of guy who compares everything in F1 to something in NASCAR, which does nothing to help anyone else understand it but himself. :P

Predictions are not my game, but I think there is a good change Grosjean will give Kimi a run for his money. The kid a amazing, he's got guts and talent.

I also see Ferrari back in the race for a podium soon (2-3 races) and fight for the championship (drivers at least).

The wdc wcc will be British...

Its a bit cheating to make preseason predictions after the season has begun, but welcome anyway. Hope your wish comes true

Its a bit cheating to make preseason predictions after the season has begun, but welcome anyway. Hope your wish comes true

Thank you.

You are right,

and that is why I kept mine very general, and I made them because this year is anybody's year and it is impossible to see a clear winner.