Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caesar

2012 F1 Cars

The new McLaren is beautiful. It looks like a winner, to me. You heard it here first. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Button will run Vettel very close indeed for this year's title.

Seb will of course take it. Just.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...errari-s-F2012

Sky Sports' Technical Analyst Mark Hughes has identified the F2012's front suspension as the most significant change in Ferrari's radically-different design concept for the new season.

Although focus on the team's new charger has immediately fallen on its sharply-declining 'boxer's nose', Hughes believes that the car's overall design will represent a greater departure in design lineage than will be the case at either McLaren or Red Bull.

Though certainly not an attractive creation, the F2012 may thus yet prove to be one of the most interesting - and possibly innovative - cars on the grid.

"It's no beauty, is it? The way they've incorporated the new front nose height regulation is much more brutal than on the McLaren, more like the Caterham. But there's probably less to that than meets the eye. Of more significance is the front suspension - which is pull-rod rather than the more common push-rod, which is quite a radical change," commented Hughes to Sky Sports.

"Short sidepods, like the McLaren as the aero teams seek to keep the airflow attached to the body along the car's 'coke bottle' contours on its way to the rear wing and over the diffuser, compensating as best they can for the disappearance of exhaust-enhanced aerodynamics."

Ferrari have been badly hampered in recent seasons - and particularly in 2011 - by their struggle to put heat into their tyres, and Hughes belives that the radical-looking new look has, in part, been inspired by the need to fix that fault.

"Being the first design overseen by Pat Fry, and with the very clear recognition he had of the 2011 car's limitations, I'd expect this one to behave quite differently - though that isn't from anything that can be seen on the car. But I'd expect the kinematics of the suspension to be designed to work the front tyres more, to get heat in them faster than Ferraris of the previous few years, and give them a performance pattern more like their rivals.

"Ferrari's 2012 car will probably represent more of a break with the team's design lineage than is the case at either McLaren or Red Bull. Whether that's a good thing or bad remains to be seen."

Until they'll lower the nose and get of the weird front and rear wing it's hopeless.

The voice of negativity returns...

I'm just kidding. :P

With the step, air goes up over the driver and into the airbox. Without the step, it goes down into the driver's crotch. I can make a graph or a spreadsheet or a drawing on a napkin if you'd like, anything backed up by any of those is 100% true 37% of the time.

With the step, air goes up over the driver and into the airbox. Without the step, it goes down into the driver's crotch. I can make a graph or a spreadsheet or a drawing on a napkin if you'd like, anything backed up by any of those is 100% true 37% of the time.

I believe it is also for safety purposes in the eventuality of a car hitting another head on, and to stop it riding up the other car, like with Schumacher/Tonio Abu Dhabi '10.

SC_2213.jpg

The idea, as you can see from the pic, is to avoid the nose to hit t he driver so the big fukcing wheel above Schumi can do a proper job of crushing his german skull.

It is indeed just for safety purposes in the event of those types of crash (Webber at Valencia 2010 being another one). They do look hideous though.