Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

Testing Starts!!!

Lap times means very little, but I bet Mercedes are wishing that lap time had been set with their new car...

true, I see a headline with Schumie stating a winning car is highly unlikely for 2012...

I take it Marussia are doing all their pre-season testing on EA Sports F1 Challenge 99-02. Pic really needs some seat time, pull out last year's sled and send it some runs if you have to.

I think we can discount Schumi in a blown diffuser car and my contacts tell me, despite Macca's lowly placings, their long race pace sim in the the 1.25s was impressive. Clearly, RBR are still very tasty but Lotus and STR appear to have quick cars in the new spec as Force India.

I think we can discount Schumi in a blown diffuser car and my contacts tell me, despite Macca's lowly placings, their long race pace sim in the the 1.25s was impressive. Clearly, RBR are still very tasty but Lotus and STR appear to have quick cars in the new spec as Force India.

and Ferrari is struggling...

Hard to tell, my friend. Another guess could be that Ferrari does not trust Massa for anything more like testing the rearview mirrors...which is highly probable, ridiculous as it seems. Wait...this time you are talking about Ferrari so I should end up talking about Kimi, right? :lol:

The logic is that since the Ferrari is a completely new car (new suspension and all that jazz) they're more interested in data gathering/experimenting (also known as "testing") than anything else. We'll see.

Edit: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/02/ferrari-explains-different-approach-to-first-test-of-2012/

Hard to tell, my friend. Another guess could be that Ferrari does not trust Massa for anything more like testing the rearview mirrors...which is highly probable, ridiculous as it seems. Wait...this time you are talking about Ferrari so I should end up talking about Kimi, right? :lol:

Damnit, you saw through my brilliant disguise...

Yes, after 2 days of testing Ferrari should totally give up on this junk of a car and start on the '13 car already.

Quick, call the Daily Mail! :rolleyes:

Yes, after 2 days of testing Ferrari should totally give up on this junk of a car and start on the '13 car already.

Quick, call the Daily Mail! :rolleyes:

Yes, Ferrari is struggling to find speed out of the car, that I can deduce from the first 2 days of testing... which leave us with the possibility that it MIGHT be find. Please don't take my words out of context, seems everything needs to be explained to you from A to B.

08:00 So this morning world champion Sebastian Vettel tries a Red Bull RB8 for the first time, Lewis Hamilton has his maiden voyage in a 2012 McLaren, and Fernando Alonso gets his first chance to judge the new Ferrari.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08:01 Sebastian Vettel pulls out a marker pen and writes "Fugly Fiona" onto the c#ckpit.

08:01 Sebastian Vettel pulls out a marker pen and writes "Fugly Fiona" onto the c#ckpit.

I've been seeing you popping in and out and I'm grateful for your invalueble comment... :P

08:57 This is the first crash we've seen in testing so far this year.

08:56 @eddstrawF1 wins. Bianchi is in the tyres at the Sito Pons corner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Ferrari is struggling to find speed out of the car, that I can deduce from the first 2 days of testing... which leave us with the possibility that it MIGHT be find. Please don't take my words out of context, seems everything needs to be explained to you from A to B.

It's funny, because it seems to me from the experiences we've had talking on here that if someone was to put "OMG LOTUS STRUGGLING" or "Kimi's really slow" after two days of testing, you'd probably accuse someone of stiring. It seems infact, you are the one trying to do something on the basis of your "Ferrari has gone backwards since Alonso joined...so much for being the development driver" post a while back.

I'll say nothing more on that. It's the first group test. How people can make conclusions from the first group test when nobody has any idea of what fuel loads teams are running, what programme they're running to, etc, etc, etc, is beyond me. Several teams have said already for them it is not about finding the ultimate lap time. Does that mean they're struggling? Hardly.

I've said already - lap times at this stage mean the square root of jack all. You might as well time them with hourglasses for how much it really says.

It's testing. That is all. If you want to believe these times already and jump to conclusions, I think you'll get a surprise by the time we roll into Melbourne.

I've never been one of these scaremongering fans who go off on a "OH IT IS CLEAR AFTER TWO DAYS OF TESTING THAT TEAM X IS STRUGGLING, WHY HAVE THEY BUILT SUCH A SH*T CAR?!" - but, if it makes you sleep better at night believing that, by all means carry on.

That's all.

It's funny, because it seems to me from the experiences we've had talking on here that if someone was to put "OMG LOTUS STRUGGLING" or "Kimi's really slow" after two days of testing, you'd probably accuse someone of stiring. It seems infact, you are the one trying to do something on the basis of your "Ferrari has gone backwards since Alonso joined...so much for being the development driver" post a while back.

I'll say nothing more on that. It's the first group test. How people can make conclusions from the first group test when nobody has any idea of what fuel loads teams are running, what programme they're running to, etc, etc, etc, is beyond me. Several teams have said already for them it is not about finding the ultimate lap time. Does that mean they're struggling? Hardly.

I've said already - lap times at this stage mean the square root of jack all. You might as well time them with hourglasses for how much it really says.

It's testing. That is all. If you want to believe these times already and jump to conclusions, I think you'll get a surprise by the time we roll into Melbourne.

I've never been one of these scaremongering fans who go off on a "OH IT IS CLEAR AFTER TWO DAYS OF TESTING THAT TEAM X IS STRUGGLING, WHY HAVE THEY BUILT SUCH A SH*T CAR?!" - but, if it makes you sleep better at night believing that, by all means carry on.

That's all.

...of course you can make certain assumptions as a result of the testing. and you're not suppose to care, as it's a meaningless sport in your view.

some quick action... yesterday Kimi set consistent speeds on long runs so it seems they've a very good, fast and reliable car... SO FAR ^_^

09:38 Grosjean shoots to the top with a 1m18.901s.

09:38 Told you this was when the quick times happen

09:38 That's the fastest lap we've seen from a 2012 car so far, and bodes well for Lotus given that Raikkonen led the way on Tuesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09:42 Another improvement for Hamilton, who gets down to 1m20.303s.

oh I forgot to add this...sorry folks!!!!

McLaren's best time of the year so far as well.

09:46 Bad news for the Spanish crowd coming up... Alonso has a problem.

09:47 News from @InsideFerrari: "It will be a long break before Fernando can rejoin the track. A hydraulic problem occurred on the car so we are working to fix it."

Eish, all those fans waiting in the grandstands, quite alot of them today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09:57 Grosjean lowers the overall benchmark once again as he bangs in a 1m18.806s.

09:59 Anyway, racing cars... Grosjean's 1m18.806s is now three tenths ahead of the week's previous best from a 2012 car, set by Webber yesterday.

Vettel's been quiet, re-acclimatising and system checks probably....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:17 Lotus confirms Grosjean set his times on the medium compound - born out by the number of quick laps he was able to bang in

0:29 Grosjean sets the quickest time of the day with a 1m18.419s. He is now 1.3 seconds clear of his closest rival

10:30 That is also the fastest we have seen all test, trumping Michael Schumacher's time from yesterday - which was set in a 2011-spec Mercedes

10:31 He follows it up with a 1m18.979s, itself almost a second faster than anyone else has managed all day

10:32 Grosjean's times haven't gone unnoticed by his team... Lotus F1 Team: How about a 1min 18.419secs? Looking good out there for @RGrosjean at this stage

Mclaren showing some good pace... SO FAR

11:16 Hamilton is next round and he gets down to a 1m19.464s, improving on his previous best by around three tenths of a second

11:17 That's the fastest McLaren have been all test, although he is still over 1s shy of Grosjean

11:25 Alonso, sporting soft compounds and the periscope gauge seen without fail so far on the F2012, heads out of the pits for his first run in nearly two hours

well,they've been going backwards since he arrived. So much for being THE development driver

Haha :-P

Nice to see the times coming down today too. Webber proclaimed he could do a 1.16 around this track in a Brazil spec car, so maybe the 1.18's aren't too great :-P

Haha :-P

Nice to see the times coming down today too. Webber proclaimed he could do a 1.16 around this track in a Brazil spec car, so maybe the 1.18's aren't too great :-P

lol yes, I read that

They're getting faster...

11:46 Good news for Ferrari as Alonso completes his fastest lap of the day: a 1m20.412s

11:48 For the record, Alonso's time is also Ferrari's best lap at Jerez this week, some four tenths better than Massa's best from yesterday

I think this is done of the soft compound...

11:49 Rosberg flies to the top of the times with a 1m17.613s

11:49 And the quickest lap of the week by nearly a full second

it was a qualifying type lap, cause he's in the next lap

EDIT: Sh#t SORRY....SO FAR

Though I once worked for Renault within the environs of F1, infer doesn't come easy nowadays. However, I can tell you they are absolutely delighted with the new car, Kimi and Grosjean. It's very easy to drive and is mega quick in the corners. All based on texts from other ex-Mecachrome employees sniffing about at Jerez this morning.