Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Daytona Speedweeks

Yeah concussions are pretty much on the low side. The head is a no go zone, and any arms that drift up in a tackle towards the head will be penalised. Also things like spear tackles are outlawed (these being where you lift the guy up, turn him upside down and drop him on his head). Also the guys are taught to tackle properly. NFL guys would call it "open field tackling". The purpose being to wrap the guy up, ground him, and ensure he doesn't get a pass away.

Most concussions come from head to head contact (like the Paramatta player in the yellow and blue top that is in the still of the vid clip). The other concussions come from a fist...:P

And of course, they're tough b#####ds :P

Interesting, thanks. A lot of people figure if you have no padding, it hurts to throw the hit as much as it does to receive it, and it takes out the dumb stuff (though it doesn't really work on ice surrounded by boards). They got the cheap stuff out for the most part since every headshot is a suspension (loss of salary and all that). Always figured you dress 10 forwards instead of 12...three lines and a spare...teams won't employ "goons" anymore because they can't, and the extra workload will slow the game down juuuuuuuuuust a bit with added fatigue.

I like that Rugby League seemingly has more action. The NFL format is very dramatic with the pauses, so it's fine for the Super Bowl or a really close game, but most of the time, it's just boring. Especially in person...very much made-for-TV. Not sure how they ever sell them out; you're just paying to go get drunk when you could have done that for free. More people under the bleachers at high school football games than in them...weird sport.

And then Jimmy thinks he can just walk on in and talk about Daytona. :P

And then Jimmy thinks he can just walk on in and talk about Daytona. :P

Sorry for not giving a sh*t about any other sport other than motorsport. :P j/k

So it's postponed till tomorrow apparently. Hope it rains tomorrow too, otherwise there's no way I'm going to see it. I have a two hour seminar timetabled for when it is supposed to start - then commuting back home, eating...yep, RAIN!!!

If it does happen, I guess I'll just have to catch some action on the 'Tube. Which'd suck, seeing as I had really wanted to see this, and then my enthusiasm for NASCAR will die out of frustration and then I'll say every F1 race is crap and go and cry alone in my BTCC topic...

Maybe.

Motorsport? This is motortainment, kiddo. :P

According to John Roberts on FOX, the race is actually canceled. :lol:

NASCAR's weatherman says there's a window between 6 PM and 8 PM Daytona time...but that's enough time to dry the track. Not to actually go racing. There's no way they do this tomorrow at noon.

They'll race Tuesday.

Motorsport? This is motortainment, kiddo. :P

According to John Roberts on FOX, the race is actually canceled. :lol:

NASCAR's weatherman says there's a window between 6 PM and 8 PM Daytona time...but that's enough time to dry the track. Not to actually go racing. There's no way they do this tomorrow at noon.

They'll race Tuesday.

Thought NASCAR are totally against a Tuesday race due to potential logistical issues they'll have for the next races?

I say they stop being such wusses and just race in the rain. :P j/k

Depends. I guess getting to Phoenix would be hard but when it came up at Watkins Glen, they said they'd do Tuesday if they had to. In reality, the cars racing at Daytona aren't the ones racing at Phoenix, so it's not like they haven't already sent out different haulers of different cars.

They should race in the rain on road courses in Cup. Obviously they can't on ovals as you are well aware.

Start time is scheduled for 7:02 PM ET. That's 00:02 where you are Jimmy. Should be able to get the whole thing in, but they have to get it dry.

Honestly, I think they lucked out. They'll get more viewers in prime time than they would have in the afternoon, though they still lose their big money-making event television wise (and their one chance to showcase NASCAR to non-NASCAR fans in an effort to convert them).

Eh, a bit better than a 5pm start for me, but with it being on so late, I doubt I'll stop up for the entire 200 laps. Even though I have two days off. :P

Yeah, just race it Tuesday. :P

This is so damn cool. Please read this.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012/2/27/2829144/2012-daytona-500-nascar-landon-cassill-rain-delay/in/2539160

Landon Cassill is such a nice guy he's even said my jokes were hilarious (no really). I've always liked him a lot.

One of the guys in the photo in the Burger King and referenced in the article is a guy I talk to all the time online. He got to play mini-golf with a NASCAR driver and the writer of the article, Jeff Gluck. Gluck is in our fantasy NASCAR league, too. Honestly he's probably a really nice guy, though he blocked all of us on Twitter. :lol:

I don't even remember what I watched. Notes taken from my Twitter, so they start well after the race began (watched on TV, brought laptop down at some point):

Darrell Waltrip called Casey Mears a "good little driver."

I typo'd "gentlemen" as "gentleman" twice.

David Stremme spun. Mears was the first off pit lane.

Montoya did what he's best at.

They talked about Mears.

Brian Barnhart and I were ready to go racing.

Waltrip says he's seen it all, figure that means he should retire.

All the older drivers were standing around Danica.

Danica went to go to the bathroom and the cameras followed her.

Terry and Bobby Labonte never left Danica's side.

FOX did "side-by-side" commercials where they show the race and the commercial...but they only did it under yellow and under the red flag. Green? Full commercials. What.

Waltrip wasn't wearing an undershirt.

Commentators couldn't stop talking about Brad Keselowski having a cell phone.

Casey Mears tried to join the big circle of drivers talking. He walked in with total sexface, stood there for a few seconds, then walked away. Poor guy.

There was a rather butch female cop who shoved Danica back into her car.

Labonte and Danica laughed at something.

Commercial with "The Heat Is On" after the fire.

Guy wearing flood pants.

Mears had a fuel pickup problem. My night was substantially worse for it.

Then he wrecked.

Bobby, Paul, and Landon were all I had. None of them did anything.

Pansy Greg Biffle too afraid to take a risk, just blocked for his teammate Kenseth to win, least exciting way to end a really bizarre race. I am mad.

TV numbers.

RAIN DELAY coverage of the Daytona 500 on Sunday: 4.5 overnight.

RACE DAY coverage of the 2011 Indianapolis 500 on a Sunday: 4.3 overnight.

Truck race, Friday night, SPEED: 1.63 final

Bud Shootout, Saturday night, FOX: 4.0 overnight (7.8 mil)

Nationwide, Saturday afternoon, ESPN: no clue.

Daytona 500, Monday night, FOX: 7.7 overnight; after the red flag, which ended just after midnight U.S. time, a 7.3.

Tuesday at 1 AM and they had a 7.3. Most viewers for a Monday night on FOX in a very, very, very long time...maybe ever. If you totaled the ratings of every single IndyCar race last year outside of the 500, you wouldn't even get a 7.3. Big event.

And IndyCar tries to be something other than a niche sport. Know your role, Indy. Cater to people who like racing, not to people in general, because the people in general have spoken.

The race got an 8.2 on Sunday afternoon last year. In 2010, they had a huge delay to fix the track; that scored a 7.0 (again, Sunday afternoon into night).

They should do more Monday night races. Run a 300-miler or something in primetime. It's fun. Only thing I enjoyed about Speedweeks was watching that late at night and tweeting with the racing buddies. Had they run it Sunday, I don't think I even would have watched until the last 20 laps.

[quote name='Massa' timestamp='1330456058' post='341178']
Wrongly titled, here is Dale Earnhardt, Jr. racing Brad Keselowski to the restroom last night.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCajn4NIoo[/media]
[/quote]

I like how easily amused the crowd are. But I guess by that stage, a high proportion of them were slightly intoxicated. :P

Crowd noise? Dale Junior. Enough said. :P

The 7.7 number seems to have been updated. At 36,500,000 viewers (no idea the rating), it was the most-watched race ever aired on FOX since they took over in 2001. Probably the most-watched race in American television history.

I still have a headache from last night. So jealous of the guys I know who went...the stories they have. They should just cancel the Indy 500, 24 Heures du Mans, Monaco Grand Prix, etc. This was the race to end all races (and as a race itself, it wasn't that good).

I have to admit, watching some of the action this week has had an impact on me. I know what you've said before about you not really liking Daytona, etc, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen over the past week. It has been new and exciting.

Certainly I think I'm over my snobby view of NASCAR. Maybe this year will be the year that I properly become a fan and understand NASCAR. :P

Wrongly titled, here is Dale Earnhardt, Jr. racing Brad Keselowski to the restroom last night.

Hehehe....imagine that ever happening in Formula One?...not likely...

I have to admit, watching some of the action this week has had an impact on me. I know what you've said before about you not really liking Daytona, etc, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen over the past week. It has been new and exciting.

Certainly I think I'm over my snobby view of NASCAR. Maybe this year will be the year that I properly become a fan and understand NASCAR. :P

Get the man some sunglasses...he's opened his eyes to new possibilities....maybe he'll order his fries with sweet chilli sauce next??? :D