Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Technical Reshuffle At Caterham

Mark Smith will now head the Caterham F1 team's day-to-day technical operation with Mike Gascoyne taking on a wider-ranging technical role in the Caterham Group.

Gascoyne, as group chief technical officer, will be responsible for proposing, supporting and coordinating key technical initiatives in Caterham's motorsport activities (F1 and GP2), Caterham Cars, Caterham Composites and Caterham Technology & Innovation.

Smith will now lead the F1 team's technical division as technical director and will increase his presence at races, which Gascoyne will continue to attend.

"This is a very proud moment for me," Gascoyne said. "My new role will now give me the chance to help drive value across the whole group. Mark Smith is exactly the right person to step up to the broader role he will now be taking on in the F1 team.

"I am looking forward to working even more closely with Mark Edwards at Caterham Technology & Innovation, Phil Hall at Caterham Composites and Ansar Ali at Caterham Cars. This is a big challenge but one I am extremely excited about."

Tony Fernandes added: "We are all delighted that Mike has taken up the challenge we have presented him. His experience, knowledge, enthusiasm and creativity give him the perfect skill set to help us achieve the ambitious goals we have set for all the group companies."

GrandPrix.com

As a long-time fan of Mark Smith I applaud this. Mark is a far better Tech Dir. than Gascoyne is and I'm pleased to see Gascoyne promoted out of the hot-seat. There has been a cult of following for the little man totally out of proportion to his achievements. All he's managed to do is produce boring car after boring car. His chassis design philosophy is stuck in 2001. Mark Smith should, if allowed a free hand, pull the Lotus up a bit.

What? It's not Lotus anymore you say? Toleman is now Lotus? Nonsense.

Anyway, Gascoyne is a better administrator than designer so this change makes sense. Someone over at Lotus has a good eye for putting people where they are best-used.

I thought I was reading a Jordan press release there...the one where Gascoyne was pleased to be chasing new goals, somewhere, with someone, that wasn't Jordan...

Credit where credit is due, you don't get to be where Gascoyne was/is without some talent, but the fish he is swimming with, and has swum with are just better.

Someone over at Lotus has a good eye for putting people where they are best-used.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it were Gascoyne himself? Never be afraid of those below becoming as strong, if not stronger than you. It allows you to move up.

I've just read that Trulli has been dropped in favour of Petrov. This is good news in my view. Trulli has been taking up a seat on the grid for too long now without producing the goods or even looking like he could produce the goods. He should have been dumped out the sport after he was dropped by Renault. One of the worst decisions Toyota made, in a catalogue of bad decisions for that team, was to give Trulli a drive and prolong his F1 career.

Could the announcement about Trulli be linked in anyway to the technical reshuffle. We all know that Trulli and Gascoyne had that "special relationship". Now with the day to day running of the team being handed over to Smith maybe he doesn't share Gascoyne's belief that 1 day Trulli will drive a race where he attacks and moves forward by overtaking cars rather than settle into a pace and defend your position. hoping that other will fall by the wayside in order for you to gain positons.

What strikes me is that Gascoyne is a clever man who has been in the sport long enough to know a good driver when he sees one but somehow with Trulli he had his blinkers on or he didn't want to hear what everyone else thought about Trulli's abiliity. Trulli was fast in qualiying; but that was as far as it went. He never raced well enough. Even his win in Monaco was a defensive drive, he was being caught by the entire field near the end of the race.

Petrov will also bring his Roubles with him so that may well influence the decision that has been made. I reckon Kovalianen should easily have enough to cover Petrov as I have him labelled as one of those drivers who will produce 2 or 3 good results in a season, but the majority of the time he doesn't show enough to make you take any interest.

What strikes me is that Gascoyne is a clever man who has been in the sport long enough to know a good driver when he sees one but somehow with Trulli he had his blinkers on or he didn't want to hear what everyone else thought about Trulli's abiliity. Trulli was fast in qualiying; but that was as far as it went. He never raced well enough. Even his win in Monaco was a defensive drive, he was being caught by the entire field near the end of the race.

ah, the magical trulli train, it always made me smile when it happened...

Highlight for me....He did however, beat Alonso till he was dropped...

Petrov will also bring his Roubles with him so that may well influence the decision that has been made.

So Kovalainen is gone too? I thought Roubles was going to Indycar...

Anyway, Gascoyne is a better administrator than designer so this change makes sense. Someone over at Lotus has a good eye for putting people where they are best-used.

tony

Re Gascoyne: Gascoyne, as said, is a great team builder, more than a great team leader. Caterham formerly known as Lotus formerly known as Prince did the right thing. They started on the right foot and got good momentum to pull through these traumatic first couple of years, it was abouut time to ignite phase two for a second boost.

Re Trulli and Petrov: Bittersweet news, but again the most rational. Trulli as previously said was never able to be more than a lightning quick qualifyier and the creator of the Trulli train, not exactly WDC material. Yet he and Fisichella (and Rubinho, and some others) stuck around because they were essential for a transition towards a new generation of drivers more skilled than them. As such, were guys with lots of experience (not just knowing the tracks, bump by bump, but also how to work in F1) and, most notably, they were generous enough to share their knowledge (can you imagine Alonso being so generous with the next generation? Nah!). With Trulli, we are losing one of the last "teachers" in F1. New blood, the stage is yours.

Petrov? I like the guy!! His driving is still too inconsistent to know his actual talent, but the few times he displayed his better sides they were above average. We already know he is a great defensive driver (ironically, one of Trulli's best features) and he has shown flashes of speed, aggressiveness (and the reverse image of clumsiness and recklessness) We'll see. I find him entertaining and big mouthed. Ideal for midfield.

Petrov's still in F1!

Joy upon joys! Could my day get any better?

I seriously doubt it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it were Gascoyne himself? Never be afraid of those below becoming as strong, if not stronger than you. It allows you to move up.

ha! Yes, it would be like him to do that. I'm not bashing the guy, but Tech Dir is not the best place for him. I don't know the structure of the team but I'd guess he still has the ultimate say on which driver they run. At the very least his opinion on that will be influential to the final driver choice.

But the problem with the smaller teams isn't the driver. The driver can't fix what's wrong and he's only a small part of the team when it comes to improving the car. Smart move is hire a solid driver for the first few years then hire the superstars when you're regularly near the sharp end. Hiring big name drivers is just a waste of money for the back-end of the grid.

Ain't too tricky to be gracious with the check Caterham cut him to get him out of there. ;)

Fact is, he'll score the same number of points off the grid as he would have on it. They have a long way to go. Kovalainen and Petrov is a solid pairing for this caliber of team though, and they're doing what they have to do, which is reshuffle and try something new.

Ain't too tricky to be gracious with the check Caterham cut him to get him out of there. ;)

Fact is, he'll score the same number of points off the grid as he would have on it. They have a long way to go. Kovalainen and Petrov is a solid pairing for this caliber of team though, and they're doing what they have to do, which is reshuffle and try something new.

Wait. There's more to it. Apparently, it's the first season in ages with no italian driver on the grid. So I hereby start my campaign:

GIVE LIUZZI A CHANCE!

Smart choice by Caterham really, I mean look at the situation VP can bring in plenty of Russian sponsors (the first of which has just been announced Sibur) massive exposure when F1 gets to Russia in 2014 (if VP is still with Caterham) over what JT brings to the team experience and a performance curve that is going the wrong way. Cash is king in F1 and even more so with teams looking to make the step up in resources ect like Caterham are doing now. Wise choice Caterham you have just replaced a driver who costs you money with a driver of equal (more depending on your opinion) speed and will actually bring money to the team. No brainer there, well played.

Exactly right. Funny how a sum of money and the threat of legal action can make a person sound oh so sweet. Not until the dust settles and the legal time frames have past will we hear what JT really thinks of the current situation at Caterham.

Wait. There's more to it. Apparently, it's the first season in ages with no italian driver on the grid. So I hereby start my campaign:

GIVE LIUZZI A CHANCE!

You still banging on about VL - Man it's been years, I admire your dedication!!!

Smart choice by Caterham really, I mean look at the situation VP can bring in plenty of Russian sponsors (the first of which has just been announced Sibur) massive exposure when F1 gets to Russia in 2014 (if VP is still with Caterham) over what JT brings to the team experience and a performance curve that is going the wrong way. Cash is king in F1 and even more so with teams looking to make the step up in resources ect like Caterham are doing now. Wise choice Caterham you have just replaced a driver who costs you money with a driver of equal (more depending on your opinion) speed and will actually bring money to the team. No brainer there, well played.

Exactly right. Funny how a sum of money and the threat of legal action can make a person sound oh so sweet. Not until the dust settles and the legal time frames have past will we hear what JT really thinks of the current situation at Caterham.

You still banging on about VL - Man it's been years, I admire your dedication!!!

nice to see you again :)

Cheers Brad - Thought I might log in and see what you lot are raving on about!!!!

Well, well...look who's back! We were beginning to think that Australia finally sank to the bottom of the ocean :P

And yes, I devoted my life to the Liuzzi cause. :D

Cheers Brad - Thought I might log in and see what you lot are raving on about!!!!

Good to see you here, Nathan.

Well, well...look who's back! We were beginning to think that Australia finally sank to the bottom of the ocean :P

And yes, I devoted my life to the Liuzzi cause. :D

It hasn't sunk yet, but I wonder how all those people in Australia can spend all day upside-down :S

It hasn't sunk yet, but I wonder how all those people in Australia can spend all day upside-down :S

They have more to worry about. Like the fact that Fosters tastes like ferret p1ss.