Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Things I Like (Outside Of F1)

So Eric is into hockey (of the frozen variety), Steve and Steph into motorbikes, and Andre's into having his head rubbed for luck, but what is everyone into outside of F1 or motorsport?

Post your sporting/interests highlights packages here, and share what tickles your fancy.

(No Andre, you can't film your head and post it for people to "virtually" rub it)

I'll kick it off with:

Mountainbiking and trials. Danny MacAskill is an amazing, self taught trials rider. Things he can do on a bike, I can only dream of...

and

And my favourite winter ball sport kicks off next weekend with my Warriors up against the team they lost to in the Grand Final last year, the Manly Sea Eagles. Benji Marshall is one of my favorite players (alongside Warriors Kevin Locke and Sean Johnson of course)

My boys:

And of course (outside Historic Motorsport), I like speedway too, be it stock cars, saloons, midgets, TQ's or sprint cars. I took my 4-yo daughter to her first ever meet at the start of February, and she absolutely loved it...the noise, the dirt, and the "crashy-cars". She was also pretty chuffed that girls were racing too!

Can you spot us in the crowd (big hint, she has a pink blanket)? (this being the meeting I took her to)

The guy in the white car here is Tiger Wood's ex-caddy...NZ's Steve Williams

Well, the only sports I follow properly are F1 and MotoGP, although I'll watch certain tennis games and boxing matches (and football, every four years). Although on YouTube I find myself watching all kinds of stuff I don't really follow or know about, for example last night I was watching some Zidane clips. Seriously, somebody who knows football tell me where do you rate Zidane historically? He seems to have been blessed by God when he's on the pitch, so much so that, despite only seeing him play live a few times, I appreciate his talent so much I put him up there with my favourite sportsmen..

Also, Ken Block's Gymkhana videos are pretty sweet but I imagine most people here know about those.

Sports I follow (not actually often): Football, Tennis, some odd boxing match.

Music: lots of indie and hunting for those rare covers that really make you enjoy a well known song in a different way.

Reading:

Non fiction: History, mainly ancient Greek/Roman/biblical age books, some of the less covered aspects of the middle ages, the two great wars and Agentinian history of the XXth century. Science, as long as it is delivered in a comprehensible language (Asimov like)

Fiction: currently reading "House of Leaves by M.Z. Danielewski. Deliciously unsettling. Don't you just think it's just the book version of The Blair Witch Project (they were more or less contemporary, it's a pity I watched the rather ordinary movie and the thousand copycats first instead of reading this book, the impact would have been greater).

Other books in the same vein (I call them "Non-Euchlidean books" or, if you prefer, "WTF are these about?"): Murakami books. I know he is so fashionable now, but the guy has an undeniable talent, just like Garcia Marquez in his days. "Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link, and "The Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall (which I havent started yet, along with "253: a Novel" and "Double or Nothing"...will tell you when I get there)

Sports I follow (not actually often): Football, Tennis, some odd boxing match.

Music: lots of indie and hunting for those rare covers that really make you enjoy a well known song in a different way.

Reading:

Non fiction: History, mainly ancient Greek/Roman/biblical age books, some of the less covered aspects of the middle ages, the two great wars and Agentinian history of the XXth century. Science, as long as it is delivered in a comprehensible language (Asimov like)

Fiction: currently reading "House of Leaves by M.Z. Danielewski. Deliciously unsettling. Don't you just think it's just the book version of The Blair Witch Project (they were more or less contemporary, it's a pity I watched the rather ordinary movie and the thousand copycats first instead of reading this book, the impact would have been greater).

Other books in the same vein (I call them "Non-Euchlidean books" or, if you prefer, "WTF are these about?"): Murakami books. I know he is so fashionable now, but the guy has an undeniable talent, just like Garcia Marquez in his days. "Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link, and "The Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall (which I havent started yet, along with "253: a Novel" and "Double or Nothing"...will tell you when I get there)

and looking after Quiet 2, who I hope is still alive and kicking... :P

Seriously, somebody who knows football tell me where do you rate Zidane historically? He seems to have been blessed by God when he's on the pitch, so much so that, despite only seeing him play live a few times, I appreciate his talent so much I put him up there with my favourite sportsmen..

Soccer and tennis are the only sports I follow as much as F1. I think Zidane and Federer have been blessed by God with something that in Spanish we call plasticidad (plasticity fits here?) It looks so easy what they do, so perfect, they look like ballet dancers but they are white sharks.

Zidane is among the GOATs with Di Stefano, Pelé, Maradona, Zidane... And few others.

Soccer and tennis are the only sports I follow as much as F1. I think Zidane and Federer have been blessed by God with something that in Spanish we call plasticidad (plasticity fits here?) It looks so easy what they do, so perfect, they look like ballet dancers but they are white sharks.

Zidane is among the GOATs with Di Stefano, Pelé, Maradona, Zidane... And few others.

Ah yes, thanks Ale, that's pretty much what I'd thought. I see what you mean too, about Zidane and Federer, they certainly have/had that kind of elegance which makes it look easy, which is always an appealing quality in a sportsmen. Another example of that which springs to mind is Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker (whose sporting idol happens to be Ayrton Senna):

Ah yes, thanks Ale, that's pretty much what I'd thought. I see what you mean too, about Zidane and Federer, they certainly have/had that kind of elegance which makes it look easy, which is always an appealing quality in a sportsmen. Another example of that which springs to mind is Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker (whose sporting idol happens to be Ayrton Senna):

Yes, ellegance is good word too. O'Sullivan is more elegant because of the bow tie. :D

Recreational drugs.

Everything else is irrelevant.

I too can't live without tea.

Things I like outside of F1: the documentary series Storyville on the BBC, which showcases some great international documentaries. Recently watched one called "Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst (2004)" about the remarkable case of Patricia Hearst and the SLA in 70's America. Reality is stranger than any fiction.

Things I like outside of F1... Hmm... :eusa_think:

A cold beer in the summer, all kind of prison films, a sunny and warm day, tripes a la Madrileña, kindle eBooks, rice a la paella, my new WP7 phone, Real Madrid beat Barça, discovering good songs of the past, Bethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Forrest Gump, etc.

I like, in no real order:

• The United States, or at least the people, or maybe just the U.S. on paper, or the U.S. that's supposed to be. Whatever it is I like it a lot.
  • Any place that's usually busy when it's empty. Bring one other person along and just talk etc. Everything is better at 3 AM.
  • Summers. Early summer mornings, late summer nights.
  • People who do not take themselves seriously. You can take your goals etc. seriously, but never yourself. Play your strengths, make fun of your weaknesses, admit your mistakes, just lighten up.
  • New wave music (80s into the early 90s). Tears For Fears being my all-time favorite.
  • When females in my age group call me a d**k/flirting. Used to hate that, then I figured out how to do it, now it's my only hobby.
  • Going to auto races and ice hockey games.
  • Terrible school dances in school cafeterias.
  • Short, easy commutes, by car, never by anything else. Private transit all the way. #AMERICA!
  • Cuddling with pretty girls with messy hair wearing sweatpants. Easy on the makeup, brunettes preferred, must smell nice because I smell nice, and never, NEVER, NEVER painted nails. They freak the **** out of me, so weird, agggh, no.
  • Solid color v-neck t-shirts, usually size small.
  • The look on people's faces when they hear my voice for the first time.
  • Band of Brothers, Glory, Primal Fear, and Up.
  • When people ask "are you from Philadelphia?"
  • Decisive people, because I am not one.
  • Personal hygiene. Every aspect of it. Very into hygiene.
  • Being both c*cky and self-deprecating simultaneously...and when people pick up on that.
  • People who dress well. If you can't tie a tie properly, I have no respect for you, unless you can't tie a tie because you think it's a woman's job to tie your tie for you, then I respect you again, though I personally tie my own ties, and never that four-in-hand kid stuff.
  • Twitter, and not having a Facebook account.
  • Cat's Cradle.
  • High school and everything I did there, though it's been over for quite some time now.
  • Peer mentoring, peer tutoring, all that stuff.
  • Air-conditioning in my car in winter.
  • Being the sober guy at a party where everyone else is sober.
  • People who take me seriously when I'm not being serious.
  • Kardashians reruns on E!.
  • Small groups, small institutions, small networks, etc.
  • Giving presentations.
  • Spandex shorts as underwear...and as outerwear for sleeping.
  • The one steak-and-cheese sandwich I eat in a year.
  • Lists.

Things I don't like:

• Painted nails, obviously.
  • Timepieces. Very thin wrists; watches just look dumb on me because of it.
  • Cities.
  • Days when I shave. Clean-shaven is the worst. Two or three days after is the best.
  • Winter mornings.
  • Clothes shopping as a thin-waisted male in a beer-bellied world.
  • Quoting movies.

That's not everything but that should cover most of it. :P

Hearing my daughters laugh.

Painting.

Vidja games (currently the Star Wars MMO).

Drinking distilled and fermented grains.

Watching super hero flicks ('cause they're rad).

Books about most everything, specifically history of the 1700s, religion (all varieties), and the Crusades (Templars and Hospitaller in specific).

Conspiracy theories. I love them. Eat them up like candy corns. Nom Nom.

Piña Coladas.

Getting caught in the rain.

Making love at midnight.

I'm into Champagne.

sing it, bro.

Mainly; Scorsese, things that sound nice, oxygen, curry, zoo's, trees, red wine, buttocks and cheese.

To watch: women, tennis, wtcc, AMLS and LMS, rugby, football.

To play: women, football, running, skiing, slot cars, table tennis

hobbies: amateur part time car designer, watch collector.

[*]The look on people's faces when they hear my voice for the first time.

Whatsup Eric?

[*]Giving presentations.

Valueble asset to have if you enjoy that sort of thing...

Hearing my daughters laugh.

Painting.

Vidja games (currently the Star Wars MMO).

Drinking distilled and fermented grains.

Watching super hero flicks ('cause they're rad).

Books about most everything, specifically history of the 1700s, religion (all varieties), and the Crusades (Templars and Hospitaller in specific).

Conspiracy theories. I love them. Eat them up like candy corns. Nom Nom.

Piña Coladas.

Getting caught in the rain.

Making love at midnight.

I'm into Champagne.

sing it, bro.

I like your "list"...it's... cool

Mainly; Scorsese, things that sound nice, oxygen, curry, zoo's, trees, red wine, buttocks and cheese.

Ah, you're a stilton fan.

Lunch with my daughter

Candlelight dinners with my wife

The sea - anywhere

Al Laboriel Jnr drumming

Jimi H playing

Keith Richards talking

Doodling on my 60-year-old Telecaster

Walking for miles with my dogs

Anything made by Apple

Oh, Apple!!

I love the apple pie I ate today (and enjoying good food, I think I found a new hobby :D)

I really love spring, now is the nicest time of year ^^

I enjoy making plans - and having them ruined in a nice way

Staying home, going out

Reading a completely childish book and being told that I'm childish

Japanese manga (childish and not, but parents don't get the difference)

Music (although I definitely like reading more, and my musical likes are varied, meaning I'm still looking for the best for me)

Scott Pilgrim!