Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Future F1 Calendar

No, actually. I've either already experienced it, don't have a problem with experiecing it, or don't expect to experience it.

Now, had you added "11. You don't live in New Jersey anymore," then, yeah, that would put me off. Travel's not my thing.

laugh.png Sort of, yeah.

Agreed, I am like fine wine, I don't travel well.

I just can't wait for that meeting under that giant Exxon sign, Opera out on the turnpike, the ballet being fought out in the alley. when that streets come alive and secret debts are paid, contact made then vanish unseen. When the hungry and the hunted explode and face off each other down in the street.

Down there in 2014

So ..........Just wrap your legs around these velvet rims

And strap your hands across my engines...............

To add to the confusion over the 2014 calendar (just how many races are we having, seriously?) a certain energy drinks company has released a statement to say that Formula One will return to the A1 Ring Red Bull Ring next year.

"Sensational breaking news. 6 July 2014 is the day Formula One comes to the Red Bull Ring."

If you don't know much about the track, there is only one thing you should know. It's beautiful.

Ekstrom%20at%20the%20Red%20Bull%20Ring.jpg

audi_motorsport_120603-9774.jpg

Yes, the Red Bull Ring is great.

I think we can write off New Jersey. The progress is not being made there. Hindery said that they (NJ) had a "deal" with Montréal back at the Canadian Grand Prix. Given that the Montréal negotiations weren't going very well for securing the future, I can only speculate that New Jersey and Montréal could alternate year-by-year. It may be the only way to have both of those races at all.

There are always threats about the Korean Grand Prix going. I don't mind the track at all, though I know most do. It wouldn't be a crushing loss, though.

The German Grand Prix financial situation is a bit rough, and Ecclestone might not exactly be very welcoming of that particular country. So, that's another one to think about.

I think, most likely, they add Austria and Russia, and cut Korea. New Jersey never happens. That's how it looks right now.

Apparently there is not going to be more than 20 races in 2014, so if Austria and Russia are coming in, they will have to cut two other races, you could be right with Korea and New Jersey. So long as Spa goes nowhere we'll be fine!

Apparently there is not going to be more than 20 races in 2014, so if Austria and Russia are coming in, they will have to cut two other races, you could be right with Korea and New Jersey. So long as Spa goes nowhere we'll be fine!

Agree, I so hope spa stays. We need more classic circuits, a nice mix of newer and classic circuits is how it should be IMO. San Marino should still be there to, but bernie even said the Italian gp at monza isn't even safe. Why get rid of classic circuits that raise the money and have such passionate fans for the sport. That is obvious it isn't about the sport any more, that its all about money. Some of these multi million dollar circuits that have been built like Bahrain, china, turkey,Korea for eg have been all flops and classic European circuits have lost there slots purely for the sake of money.

well my 2 cents worth. IF F1 is a business, and it appears that it is, and it makes a lot of money, and it appears that it does, why then does it need Government money to be used to "Prop Up The Event" ? I know that the answer will be that the local community will gain zillions of dollars from the people visiting the event, but even given all that income the Australian/ Victorian government still end up SPONSORING the event, meaning they pay the LOSSES !! meaning the local citizens have to pay for the CIRCUS to come to town in order to have this town shown on the world stage via TV. BUT the real winners out of this are the organisers (read Bernie and his company) and to maybe a lesser degree the TEAM owners, who do get paid handsomely at the end of the year via payouts for points scored. I suspect that in the case of Red Bull this is no longer a loss making business but a very nice injection of profit to the TOTAL business empire.

Well, we have twenty.

India takes a "gardening leave" (;)), returning in March 2015. Russia and Austria join the calendar. There's twenty.

New Jersey? The Bergen Dispatch reports it is canceled, citing quotes from Lauda, who honestly would know. It matches up with everything we all were told; no one expected this race to happen as the information came out.

http://www.bergendispatch.com/articles/27724508/Grand-Prix-of-America-in-New-Jersey-Dropped-From-2014-Calendar.aspx

Now, the Red Bull Ring makes sense again. Red Bull and Infiniti were big backers in the New Jersey race. Vettel was sent to Letterman to promote it. He and Coulthard took local media around parts of the proposed circuit in Infiniti road cars. Later, Coulthard returned with an RB7 to do a demo around the completed portions of the track, as well as filming that tunnel video in NYC. Plus, Red Bull were pushing for a street race in Bangkok, but the government there banned street course racing in the city, ending that proposed 2015 race's chances of happening.

So, I think that's how we ended up with a stunning, European track added to the calendar...Red Bull couldn't make a street circuit in another location work. Now, I'm not against some of the less-scenic, temporary circuits outside of Europe. I think it's great for F1 to try to be in new areas, and many of the newer tracks (but not all) have some nice safety designed into them. Plus, in this era of F1, the races have been very fun to watch no matter where they have been held. That said, I much prefer to watch a race from the Red Bull Ring in Austria on TV than one from the proposed New Jersey track, which, to be honest, looked very unsafe (super-fast, yet very narrow, on crowned roads, with armco all around, and a lot of residential buildings/gas stations/stores inches behind those barriers), or from the Bangkok track which had a horrid layout to it.

I think the calendar is better this way, though I'd prefer the Indian Grand Prix (not a bad track, really) to the Russian one on what looks like one of the worst circuits since Indianapolis (but we'll see how it races).

I'm satisfied with how 2014 shook out. Now, 2015...you have to get India back in, and Mexico is confirmed for 2015, as well. So, that's at least two 2014 races getting cut...yikes...we do this every year, don't we?

I'm glad India won't be returning. Russia is looking shakey. They might pull it off at the last minute like Korea did, but then that was an issue where they did have money, just didn't have the track ready in time. If it's a combination of the two... then at best you get a few headlines about it, and it's dropped for a venue that actually does have the money.

That narrows down the hit list of tracks. Bahrain & China are the next two to hopefully get the chop. But just like Hungary continues to confound critics and fans alike by being on the calender each and every year, I think China will be the first to go before Bahrain. Bahrain is all about pride by the governing royalty. Thus it matters not if it turns a profit, it will remain as long as they keep paying Bernie.

I want France back. If I was a dreamer, the Paris street circuit or Le Mans would be my pics. Otherwise Paul Ricard. But no more Magny-Cours.

A Scandinavian GP somewhere in any of either Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark or the Netherlands.

I'd be open to another South American GP. Argentina or something. A street circuit or something a little special than just a non descript race track out in the country side that could then have been anywhere in the world.

No to a South African GP. Not sure who would make more noise, the Vuvuzelas or the cars themselves.

Not more Asian GPs unless it is something unique or different. I count India and Turkey as Asian GPs. The interest in Asia just seems so low. I know there are fans all over the world, but there have been more empty GPs in Asian circuits than other places.

Laguna Seca? Why not. Won't happen, but why not.

Bathurst! A dreamer can dream.

Nurburgring Nordschleife, the original track. I know it would be insanely expensive setting up cameras everywhere.

Isle of Man TT. Just like Bathhurst and the Burg, the antidote to the fast food circuits we have today.

Of all those, most are dreams. France has the best hope of a comeback. I think in time you will see F1 dropping out of the "new world" circuits in Asia and going back to it's roots. I don't think it would change even if there was a Chinese F1 driver. Just look at Japan. They never really got behind Kamui compared to how they did Sato.

I know there are other great race tracks out there. A shame Uncle Bernie doesn't factor in great racing, and great race tracks into his vision of F1. But he'll be in jail or dead soon enough, so one can only hope where the next caretaker of F1 leads us.

So Russia has missed the application dealine to hold race in 2014, so it might not happen then.

Story here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109130

I'm glad India won't be returning. Russia is looking shakey. They might pull it off at the last minute like Korea did, but then that was an issue where they did have money, just didn't have the track ready in time. If it's a combination of the two... then at best you get a few headlines about it, and it's dropped for a venue that actually does have the money.

That narrows down the hit list of tracks. Bahrain & China are the next two to hopefully get the chop. But just like Hungary continues to confound critics and fans alike by being on the calender each and every year, I think China will be the first to go before Bahrain. Bahrain is all about pride by the governing royalty. Thus it matters not if it turns a profit, it will remain as long as they keep paying Bernie.

I want France back. If I was a dreamer, the Paris street circuit or Le Mans would be my pics. Otherwise Paul Ricard. But no more Magny-Cours.

A Scandinavian GP somewhere in any of either Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark or the Netherlands.

I'd be open to another South American GP. Argentina or something. A street circuit or something a little special than just a non descript race track out in the country side that could then have been anywhere in the world.

No to a South African GP. Not sure who would make more noise, the Vuvuzelas or the cars themselves.

Not more Asian GPs unless it is something unique or different. I count India and Turkey as Asian GPs. The interest in Asia just seems so low. I know there are fans all over the world, but there have been more empty GPs in Asian circuits than other places.

Laguna Seca? Why not. Won't happen, but why not.

Bathurst! A dreamer can dream.

Nurburgring Nordschleife, the original track. I know it would be insanely expensive setting up cameras everywhere.

Isle of Man TT. Just like Bathhurst and the Burg, the antidote to the fast food circuits we have today.

Of all those, most are dreams. France has the best hope of a comeback. I think in time you will see F1 dropping out of the "new world" circuits in Asia and going back to it's roots. I don't think it would change even if there was a Chinese F1 driver. Just look at Japan. They never really got behind Kamui compared to how they did Sato.

I know there are other great race tracks out there. A shame Uncle Bernie doesn't factor in great racing, and great race tracks into his vision of F1. But he'll be in jail or dead soon enough, so one can only hope where the next caretaker of F1 leads us.

Having just seen motogp at Laguna I'd love to see F1 give it a go, I reckon it's a bit too short a lap though isn't it? I'd love to see them through the corkscrew section, that would be awesome.

Not much of a runoff area at the braking point of corkscrew, so I guess thats a no go.

I'd want Zandvoort though

So, no New Jersey, no India, no Russia, yes Osterreichring...so confusing.

Heard that Imola is applying for a seat in Ferrari. And Alonso is in contact with professional wrestlers in Mexico, with the intent of pursuing his career there.

In a more serious note, bring old Kyalami back. I know it's destroyed and part of the lands sold. Build it again! I don't care!

And I think it's time Finland has its own GP as well. And that they stop making silly projects to bring F1 to Argentina and adapt Potrero de los Funes circuit here which is both beautiful and demanding.

Also sprach Quietonen.

Year-after-year, the races in Bahrain are so much better than they get credit for. I can totally see people who have non-racing-related reasons to want the event gone, but for racing, Bahrain is so far from the worst track they visit. I guess I feel like it's possible a lot of negative thoughts about the political climate, the purpose of the race, the low attendance, or the aesthetics of the track might be getting transferred in a way that clouds people's view of the race, i.e. you go in so convinced you won't enjoy it that you don't. But the race, in isolation (which, of course, isn't reality), is usually pretty decent. 2012 and 2013 were a lot of fun, I thought, and I loved 2006. 2007, statistically, had more overtakes than any other race that year, though that's obviously not a measure of a good race (when our emotional response to something becomes based on numbers, we'll all be very, very lost...) and the only 2007 Bahrain overtake that I can remember is, of course, Heidfeld and Alonso, a classic, for me.

I'm still convinced that if you build the same exact track in Europe, surrounded by a bit of scenery and not so politically-charged, people would then just focus on the race, go in with a more open-mind, and find more to enjoy about the racing that takes place there. Which isn't to say I'm immune to things like this; I'm not. I'm pretty sure I always say I like Valencia and try to justify it with how the many-turns layout allows for long battles or passes followed by re-passes better than corner-straight-corner-straight-corner-straight does, when really, I'm probably just lost in how pretty the place was. :lol:

Now, Laguna Seca, because people brought it up. There are two, big issues with that:

1. It is an FIA Grade II circuit and it would take serious upgrades to become FIA Grade I. It is too dangerous (closeness of barriers) and too short (must be over 2.5 miles to be Grade I, with Monaco getting the only waiver). It's also too narrow to produce effective car racing; it's a great bike track, just like the Sachsenring or any of those, but harder for cars to race on. The only memorable car racing moments at Laguna Seca? Most came in the ALMS, where the cars have more margin for contact and can use slower traffic as picks. ALMS, in that era (2006-2008) always overstated a track's potential (ALMS put on a good show in Belle Isle, the worst track in America), especially on shared weekends with IndyCar, so it's not really a good measure. The only open-wheel moment? Zanardi's pass, which is glorified, but also illegal. He left the circuit, and CART chose not to issue a penalty. Like the Hungaroring, Laguna Seca would force a lot of drivers to go off the track to pass, which would result in no real passing. They'd have to re-design the circuit to accommodate F1, and I'm not sure the money is there. Plus, in doing so, you'd probably lose a lot of what you guys like about the track to get it up to standards.

2. Laguna Seca and F1 still don't get along. In the late 80s, Laguna Seca did an entire re-design. It added all new parts to the track, upgraded facilities, etc. They poured a lot of money into it. Why? The USGP was done with Dallas, and they wanted the date. After the upgrades that made Laguna Seca what it is today, it was, for the time, up to F1 standards. They were sure they'd get the date. F1 changed their minds, though, and decided a street track in Phoenix was the way to go. I think Laguna Seca still holds that against them and would be very nervous to upgrade the track once again, only for F1 to change.

I'd want Zandvoort though

If we have Zandvoort, which would be nice, then we must have Brands Hatch (unlikely, due to odd people who moved in next to a circuit and then complained about the noise!), and Montjuich Park (even more unlikely, possibly because of 1975).

If we have Zandvoort, which would be nice, then we must have Brands Hatch (unlikely, due to odd people who moved in next to a circuit and then complained about the noise!), and Montjuich Park (even more unlikely, possibly because of 1975).

Count me in for a Montjuich revival.

Year-after-year, the races in Bahrain are so much better than they get credit for. I can totally see people who have non-racing-related reasons to want the event gone, but for racing, Bahrain is so far from the worst track they visit. I guess I feel like it's possible a lot of negative thoughts about the political climate, the purpose of the race, the low attendance, or the aesthetics of the track might be getting transferred in a way that clouds people's view of the race, i.e. you go in so convinced you won't enjoy it that you don't. But the race, in isolation (which, of course, isn't reality), is usually pretty decent. 2012 and 2013 were a lot of fun, I thought, and I loved 2006. 2007, statistically, had more overtakes than any other race that year, though that's obviously not a measure of a good race (when our emotional response to something becomes based on numbers, we'll all be very, very lost...) and the only 2007 Bahrain overtake that I can remember is, of course, Heidfeld and Alonso, a classic, for me.

I'm still convinced that if you build the same exact track in Europe, surrounded by a bit of scenery and not so politically-charged, people would then just focus on the race, go in with a more open-mind, and find more to enjoy about the racing that takes place there. Which isn't to say I'm immune to things like this; I'm not. I'm pretty sure I always say I like Valencia and try to justify it with how the many-turns layout allows for long battles or passes followed by re-passes better than corner-straight-corner-straight-corner-straight does, when really, I'm probably just lost in how pretty the place was. laugh.png

Now, Laguna Seca, because people brought it up. There are two, big issues with that:

1. It is an FIA Grade II circuit and it would take serious upgrades to become FIA Grade I. It is too dangerous (closeness of barriers) and too short (must be over 2.5 miles to be Grade I, with Monaco getting the only waiver). It's also too narrow to produce effective car racing; it's a great bike track, just like the Sachsenring or any of those, but harder for cars to race on. The only memorable car racing moments at Laguna Seca? Most came in the ALMS, where the cars have more margin for contact and can use slower traffic as picks. ALMS, in that era (2006-2008) always overstated a track's potential (ALMS put on a good show in Belle Isle, the worst track in America), especially on shared weekends with IndyCar, so it's not really a good measure. The only open-wheel moment? Zanardi's pass, which is glorified, but also illegal. He left the circuit, and CART chose not to issue a penalty. Like the Hungaroring, Laguna Seca would force a lot of drivers to go off the track to pass, which would result in no real passing. They'd have to re-design the circuit to accommodate F1, and I'm not sure the money is there. Plus, in doing so, you'd probably lose a lot of what you guys like about the track to get it up to standards.

2. Laguna Seca and F1 still don't get along. In the late 80s, Laguna Seca did an entire re-design. It added all new parts to the track, upgraded facilities, etc. They poured a lot of money into it. Why? The USGP was done with Dallas, and they wanted the date. After the upgrades that made Laguna Seca what it is today, it was, for the time, up to F1 standards. They were sure they'd get the date. F1 changed their minds, though, and decided a street track in Phoenix was the way to go. I think Laguna Seca still holds that against them and would be very nervous to upgrade the track once again, only for F1 to change.

I think it's true that we do inevitably judge circuits on things which are not necessarily relevant to the racing. For me, it doesn't make too much difference that the scenery of Bahrain isn't that impressive providing the race is reasonably entertaining, which I think it probably is. I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with having trees and plants or nice architecture in close proximity to a motor race, but nevertheless they are. Obviously, it would be great if we could have all the circuits surrounded by beautiful scenery, as well as having good attendance figures and so on, but like you say this isn't reality.

Also agree about Laguna Seca. It's an amazing track. For motorcycle racing. In F1 it would be an absolute procession. There isn't a decent straight on the track and therefore the braking zones are incredibly short, obviously even shorter in an F1 car. The corkscrew is good for passing in MotoGP because the officials don't seem to punish "off track" passes made on the inside. Any corkscrew pass made in F1 would probably be a drive-through.

The track doesn't have to look pretty for a race, I mean the hotel in Abu Dhabi with the colour changing lights and so on is pretty but frankly I'm not watching it for that. What I want is decent on track race action and if you don't get that, then to me, it's not a good track. Spa is and always has been my favourite because it's a true racers track, we need more of them not these Mickey Mouse affairs we have seen in recent years. Give me a whole season of races at Spa and I'd be happy enough to watch thanks.

I like the pretty lights. Mmm, shiny. No place for a circuit, though.

My eyes malfunctioned for a moment there and I thought you said you'd be happy enough to watch tanks. Must go to Spec Savers........

Is it coincidence that the classic tracks which we drool over simply follow the topography? Find an interesting chunk of scenery and build a track. Spa, Brands, Interlagos (especially before it was truncated), Watkins Glen and so on, they utilise the natural features. Too many Tilkedromes are glorified car parks but then in most cases his hands are tied, before he even starts, by the demands of Bernie, the FIA and the meeja. They need transport links and all the ancilliary facilities that the old tracks didn't have to contend with when they were originally conceived.

Edittid: four gramer and spellig..

My eyes malfunctioned for a moment there and I thought you said you'd be happy enough to watch tanks. Must go to Spec Savers........

I also read 'tanks' but I just thought it was an ancient saying from the war that you still say becaus you love old things like the monarchy, the imperial units, Paul's underwear and Sean.

Anyways, I think Spa should go back to one of their previous layouts. The current one is way too sanitized.

Is it coincidence that the classic tracks which we drool over simply follow the topography?

My exact sentiments. That's why I mentioned Kyalami before.

[Excessive wording for a Gorilla. Ignored]

I know it's a random question but does anybody think the f1 cars could run on the surfers paradise circuit the champcars used to run on. I know it's tight but do you actually think it could be done.

I know it's a random question but does anybody think the f1 cars could run on the surfers paradise circuit the champcars used to run on. I know it's tight but do you actually think it could be done.

It's possible yes. I have been to that circuit 2 times in the years when IndyCar was really "Indy". It's a very hard circuit to pass on due to it being just so narrow though. It would look fantastic on TV however. As you know it's now a very shorter version of what it used to be, and a nothing special event in my view. The only thing I used to looked forward to was the International racers in the cars, but they have changed the rules on this and it won't ever have the same draw as it once did. Let alone back in the days of when it was a real Indy event.

The QLD Govt. can't even fund the sand erosion on the Gold Coast beaches, so how they could pay the $30m race fee every year, and then the I'm sure another $20m odd to setup the stands and barricades... it will remain forever a dream.

It's possible yes. I have been to that circuit 2 times in the years when IndyCar was really "Indy". It's a very hard circuit to pass on due to it being just so narrow though. It would look fantastic on TV however. As you know it's now a very shorter version of what it used to be, and a nothing special event in my view. The only thing I used to looked forward to was the International racers in the cars, but they have changed the rules on this and it won't ever have the same draw as it once did. Let alone back in the days of when it was a real Indy event.

The QLD Govt. can't even fund the sand erosion on the Gold Coast beaches, so how they could pay the $30m race fee every year, and then the I'm sure another $20m odd to setup the stands and barricades... it will remain forever a dream.

Absolutly, I live on the Gold Coast so I know exactly how this ridiculous council and government work, I always hear people saying "no way it would work, track is to tight" but they seem to forget about the size of a champcar. If a champcar could race there, so could an f1 car, I've seen some fantastic races at that circuit and as you said it will remain a dream, and that is just that. Bernie wants Melbourne to race at night and they won't do it. Why not have it at night along the beachfront of surfers paradise. That would be epic.

I also read 'tanks' but I just thought it was an ancient saying from the war that you still say becaus you love old things like the monarchy, the imperial units, Paul's underwear and Sean.

Ah, yes. Paul's imperial underwear. Fit for a King.