Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Future F1 Calendar

Since I've done a lot of talk about F1 in the U.S. here, I figured I'd just pass along that the Canadian Grand Prix on FOX was believed to be the most-watched Grand Prix in the United States in the last decade.

It scored a 1.1 rating, which is still very low, but a huge gain over the 0.8 it got last year. My rough estimate says that's about 1,800,000 viewers this year to 1,300,000 last year. Formula One is now well clear of IndyCar in ratings outside of the 500, both on cable (SPEED for F1 and NBCSN for Indy) and network (FOX for F1 and ABC for Indy).

That's all great news for the future races here, I think, though for perspective, they are still the fifth in auto racing TV viewership, behind NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide, NASCAR Camping World Truck, and NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing.

Huge full page ad for the USGP in Texas featured in USA Today. I guess it's for real, and Wild Bubba certainly thinks so. The man in literally more F1 articles this year than under-the-radar FIA president Jean Todt has now dubbed Elroy, TX as Speed City, TX. The Elroy Gazette, which Mr. Bubba appears to be involved with, has been rebranded The Speed City Gazette, and Speed City, TX is listed as the location of Wild Bubba's Wild Game Grill, which is now offering an F1 burger (does Ecclestone know?), weighing one pound and containing BBQ sauce, pickes and onions, all for a very F1-esque high price of $10.99. Wild Bubba himself is wearing a Circuit of the Americas hat.

http://www.wildbubbas.com/

If it weren't 1,953 miles away, I'd go for the food alone... :P

Hearing some quite interesting rumours.

As you probably know, London is holding the Olympics in a few weeks time. There has been plenty of debate as to what could happen to the main stadium after the games, with reported interested buyers being numerous football clubs, etc. However, the latest potential buyer to emerge is Bernie Ecclestone. There's growing reports that he could buy the stadium and use it as part of a lay out for a Grand Prix around London. It is very early at this stage, so I couldn't really tell you what a potential track route would be, but it is interesting to hear. With Silverstone having a contract to I think 2025 or even later, you'd have to think that if these rumours turn out to be true, it could mean a second British round.

I'm not personally suprised. There's been plenty of speculation about a Grand Prix in London in years gone by, and I think after the Olympics and the failure to secure the World Cup, the potential for another big sporting event like a Grand Prix was always a possibility.

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/story/15234/7834443

Doesn't Ecclestone own a soccer team? I'm not saying that in particular is related but he does more than just F1. It makes sense for him to buy it and use it for something that isn't related to F1 at all. Major cities don't need or want F1. They make more money with the streets open; they get an a**load of tourism without F1. That's why they're racing in Weehawken and Elroy and not NYC and LA (and I'm thankful for that...you could get me to go to Jersey and Texas, you couldn't get me to go to a big city for anything).

I think the one to watch for is a street race in Thailand. It has big Red Bull support (Red Bull originates there and I'm pretty sure the Thailand tourism branch has sponsored or does sponsoe them). The Race of Champions is in Bangkok and the people involved in that want to do a Grand Prix, whether that's in Bangkok or a different city.

A big-time calendar shake up wouldn't surprise me, though, whatever is coming on-board. Europe's not in the best position right now, and Ecclestone has big ambitions elsewhere (not saying any of the other places are in all that better of a place, but there's new money).

Doesn't Ecclestone own a soccer team? I'm not saying that in particular is related but he does more than just F1. It makes sense for him to buy it and use it for something that isn't related to F1 at all. Major cities don't need or want F1. They make more money with the streets open; they get an a**load of tourism without F1. That's why they're racing in Weehawken and Elroy and not NYC and LA (and I'm thankful for that...you could get me to go to Jersey and Texas, you couldn't get me to go to a big city for anything).

Obviously I have no interest in football (:P) at all, but I don't think so. Besides, it specifically refers to F1 using it:

'This is a firm that happened to be bidding for use of the stadium, not to own it. They came up with a scheme whereby Formula One would race around the stadium, inside it, outside it. They wanted to make sure I would be interested."

I could have sworn he and Briatore owned some team at some point.

I skipped the article because I just figured anything about London was going to be the same baseless speculation as ever. My bad. :P

Seems like quite a flimsy link to Bernie, in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless.

Bernie and Briatore did own shares in Queens Park Rangers (QPR) football team, but sold those last year sometime and are no longer involved (the shares now being owned by a certain Tony Fernandes who you may have heard of). I think they bit off more than they could chew with that particular investment. As a footnote, there's a good documentary called "The Four Year Plan" about the fortunes of the club, where Briatore comes across as his usual modest, reserved and likeable self.

The London Grand Prix thing continues to persist. Heard rumours that if it did happen it'd run under the name of the European Grand Prix.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he would consider throwing financial weight behind any attempt to stage a grand prix in London in the future - ahead of a promotional event by sponsor Santander on Thursday evening to unveil its idea for a track around the city.

Just a week after it was revealed that one option being considered for the London Olympic stadium is to turn it in to a grand prix venue, Ecclestone has reiterated his belief that the British capital is the perfect venue to hold an F1 race.

Santander is ramping up interest in the British Grand Prix, which it is title sponsor of, by hosting an event that will reveal how a grand prix in London could look – having commissioned a proper evaluation of a potential venue and commissioning a CGI film of how the race would appear on television.

The plans will suggest a three-mile route around some of London's famous landmarks which could play host to more than 120,000 spectators.

Although it is not thought that there has been any serious discussion about turning the idea in to reality, Ecclestone has suggested that he thinks it makes financial sense – and would be willing to fund it himself.

"With the way things are, maybe we would front it and put the money up for it," he told The Times newspaper. "If we got the okay and everything was fine, I think we could do that.

"Think what it would do for tourism. It would be fantastic, good for London, good for England – a lot better than the Olympics."

Any future grand prix in London would have to be in addition to the British GP, as Silverstone has a long-term deal in place.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100760

And now Ecclestone's false claims about New Jersey being behind schedule make sense, don't they? It wasn't adding up at first, but you can only have twenty races, and Ecclestone (maybe sensibly, maybe not) lost interest in a race that's close to New York for a race that's actually in London to take Valencia's place.

EDIT: Wow, that layout flat out sucks on paper...one of the worst designs I've ever seen a drawing of, and I've seen some real **** drawn up in a parking lot for SCCA stuff. Maybe it will be better in real life. I've seen wonderful street circuits, but this one's obviously been chosen for location and not for the actual roads it is using being conducive to anything of interest, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. :P

And now Ecclestone's false claims about New Jersey being behind schedule make sense, don't they? It wasn't adding up at first, but you can only have twenty races, and Ecclestone (maybe sensibly, maybe not) lost interest in a race that's close to New York for a race that's actually in London to take Valencia's place.

EDIT: Wow, that layout flat out sucks on paper...one of the worst designs I've ever seen a drawing of, and I've seen some real **** drawn up in a parking lot for SCCA stuff. Maybe it will be better in real life. I've seen wonderful street circuits, but this one's obviously been chosen for location and not for the actual roads it is using being conducive to anything of interest, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. tongue.png

Good way to live life, then you will always be surprised rather than let down :P

(I'm such a cynic)

Turn 9 looks like a passing spot....get on the inside into the right hander 90, hold onto the position as best you can through the following open two lefts, then pull away as you are on the inside out of the exit right hander.

Also turn 5 is a possibility.

I can't imagine them forced into single file though through an arch - that seems a bit out there in today's safety conscious world.

Yeah, the single file part at the end is ridiculous.

What if they make it 2 tunnels? Drag race opportunity.

Still a whopping big solid obstacle in your path...do I go left...do I go right...do I...oh ****...*smashes into column*

James Allen covers this whole story well, http://www.jamesalle...ondon-gp-track/

Haha...Boris the Mayor is worried about air quality...so he must fear improved quality as having the race would reduce normal traffic flows for the duration, and therefore improve the air. And yeah, sure it'd be noisy, but I am sure the queen has some royal ear muffs she could put on...

So we have Spa-Francorchamps for 2013, 2014, and 2015, which is a change, and a nice one.

http://www.gpupdate....il-2015-season/

I wonder if this is why Ecclestone won't let New Jersey on the calendar in 2013? Does Paul Ricard get New Jersey's full-time, annual date? Or did the French election just kill all the plans for a race at Paul Ricard to begin with?