Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Future F1 Calendar

Absolutly, I live on the Gold Coast so I know exactly how this ridiculous council and government work, I always hear people saying "no way it would work, track is to tight" but they seem to forget about the size of a champcar. If a champcar could race there, so could an f1 car, I've seen some fantastic races at that circuit and as you said it will remain a dream, and that is just that. Bernie wants Melbourne to race at night and they won't do it. Why not have it at night along the beachfront of surfers paradise. That would be epic.

Indeed it would look great, and I'm sure be a great event... at least for the first 2 years before the Govt. funding disappears and some twit claims a population of hendra invected bats are being threatened within the race paddock.

The thing with Champcars was, back in the 90s when the real IndyCars raced there, they were not as technical as today's F1 cars. Heck they even changed the gears manually, no paddle shifters. Thus there was plenty more opportunities for drivers to sneak up the inside, or capitalize on the others racing. Now in F1, everything is perfect. Apart from no traction control, every gear shift is spot on, the brakes are amazing, the list goes on. IndyCars going ok on that circuit, is the same as the V8s... there's room for more error. F1 not so much. It would be a pole to finish race, unless someone went into the wall.

F1 actually couldn't race on the Surfer's Paradise track. It is an FIA Grade II circuit. F1 can only run on Grade I circuits.

To become Grade I, the track would need a new pit lane/paddock, I'm certain. It would also need revised run-off and barriers as deemed appropriate. The track is, however, long enough (just) to be Grade I (2.5 miles or more...Surfer's Paradise is between 2.7 and 2.8, I think). There are other standards to be Grade I, but I think the pits, paddock, and run-off areas would be the key ones to address there.

So, no, as is, they can't run that circuit. The only Grade I tracks (as of August 27, 2012) that do not have Formula One dates in 2013 (bold have never had an F1 date):

Dubai

Fuji

Hockenheim (but it obviously has a date on an alternating basis)

Imola

Indianapolis

Magny-Cours

Mugello

Paul Ricard

Red Bull Ring (added to the 2014 calendar, of course)

Valencia street course (may be alternating with Barcelona and therefore back in 2014, but that seems less likely now...)

And that's it. So, Dubai and Mugello are, at present, the two tracks that could most easily become 100% new-to-F1 circuits.

(Another note, if you clicked the link and had a look...notice Circuit of the Americas, home of the USGP, is not listed. The Grand Prix ran in November; this was published in late August. That's how down-to-the-wire getting the USGP to happen was...the track was not finished, so it could not have an FIA license yet)!

(Oh, and, missing in that PDF are Grade IT tracks. These tracks can host F1 tests, but not F1 races. They include the Portimão/Algarve track, Jerez, and even Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama).

Indeed it would look great, and I'm sure be a great event... at least for the first 2 years before the Govt. funding disappears and some twit claims a population of hendra invected bats are being threatened within the race paddock.

The thing with Champcars was, back in the 90s when the real IndyCars raced there, they were not as technical as today's F1 cars. Heck they even changed the gears manually, no paddle shifters. Thus there was plenty more opportunities for drivers to sneak up the inside, or capitalize on the others racing. Now in F1, everything is perfect. Apart from no traction control, every gear shift is spot on, the brakes are amazing, the list goes on. IndyCars going ok on that circuit, is the same as the V8s... there's room for more error. F1 not so much. It would be a pole to finish race, unless someone went into the wall.

Probably right there, heck there isn't much passing at Monaco let alone at surfers as most corners turn into the wall as the racing line, lots of accidents would occur. More or less waiting for drivers to let them though so you mentioning racing back in the day is absolutly correct,f1 also then would have been good there in the late 80s early 90s now you have convinced me that it probably couldn't work.

@ MASSA - I didn't realise it wasn't graded at 1, when you look at whats needed for the fia class 1 it's pretty far of.

Let's face it there are more tracks that want a race than will fit on the calendar, and even more tracks we the fans would like to see the cars race at. As per usual I suppose we'll all have to wait and see who gets on and who doesn't. For my part there are maybe half a dozen races I would hope will be on there and disappointed if they're not, but wherever they race I will be watching with interest.

Does seem they have to go through a lot of hoops to hold a race, we all know how Bernie made such a fuss about Silverstone and threatened not to let us have the race here unless things were done to his standard. As always it comes down to cost for the indvidual tracks concerned whether they can afford to have the correct standards, I suppose you have to spend money to make money.

You're showing your age by posting that ;) I loved that show as a kid though as well.

Richard Briers at his finest (apart from when he got to play with Felicity).

Irrespective of the size of future F1 calendars, I'm just wondering how many teams will come to the party! Lotus, Sauber, Caterham, Williams, Sahara Force India and Marussia are all at the mercy of the volatile markets their shareholders are operating in. I have never heard stories about drivers not getting paid before though there probably was difficulties for some of the privateers down the years. To be honest, I can see an eight car grid by 2015. Marussia and Caterham have made little progress over the past couple of seasons and neither seem likely to either. Sauber's new partners are yet to show their hand but Williams are certainly struggling. Vijay Mallya's business woes could still bring the house down at SFI although he only hold 50% of the shares now. The team is a valuable property now though and will probably survive. Lotus is an enigma. They have the grunt to challenge for the WCC but the financials are clearly rocky. I would like to see another manufacturer or two coming back to the party like Honda and BMW or a new face from the VW Group like Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini or Porsche. Button in a Bentley? Alonso in a Bugatti? Kimi in a Lambo?There's a marketing man's wet dream, eh?

Do Marussia and Caterham want to improve?

If you look at the payouts, the additional prize money for P9 in the WCC over P10 isn't going to offset the budget increase it would take to get there. It seems to me that Marussia and Caterham are deliberately spending as little as possible to get P10. Eventually, one or the other will run out, but until then, I don't think they'd be on the verge of leaving over performance. I think they're performing exactly the way they want to be; it would cost too much to perform any better, and you're not going to get the sponsors and prize money to make up for it just by gaining a place or two in the WCC table.

Do Marussia and Caterham want to improve?

If you look at the payouts, the additional prize money for P9 in the WCC over P10 isn't going to offset the budget increase it would take to get there. It seems to me that Marussia and Caterham are deliberately spending as little as possible to get P10. Eventually, one or the other will run out, but until then, I don't think they'd be on the verge of leaving over performance. I think they're performing exactly the way they want to be; it would cost too much to perform any better, and you're not going to get the sponsors and prize money to make up for it just by gaining a place or two in the WCC table.

I have never met a team that didn't want to excel in performance. Was possible point is there in that? I understand the prize money thing but even some one as shrewd as Tony is going to aim for dead last on purpose - he has cars to sell. Quite what the point of Marussia's existence is baffles me.

Ah, yeah, I worded that poorly.

What I mean is: Caterham and Marussia will never increase their budgets, so, realistically, they will never improve, and they're okay with that.

Yes, Caterham and Marussia would love to win the WCC or even just finish ninth in it if they could, but they will only do it on their budgets.

So, I guess it's not that there isn't a desire to improve, it's just that they need to improve under their own constraint: budget. And they won't be able to really do that. The additional investment required to moved up can't be justified; the prize money isn't a big gain, the TV exposure isn't a big gain, the potential for partners isn't a big gain, and the number of Caterham and Marussia cars you sell isn't going to be a big gain, either.

My post was bad because it implied they're just abusing the system and had no will to win. Obviously, that was just careless wording on my part. What I mean is that they want to win, like all the other teams, but they can't risk increasing their budgets to that level, so they don't improve.

Ah, yeah, I worded that poorly.

What I mean is: Caterham and Marussia will never increase their budgets, so, realistically, they will never improve, and they're okay with that.

Yes, Caterham and Marussia would love to win the WCC or even just finish ninth in it if they could, but they will only do it on their budgets.

So, I guess it's not that there isn't a desire to improve, it's just that they need to improve under their own constraint: budget. And they won't be able to really do that. The additional investment required to moved up can't be justified; the prize money isn't a big gain, the TV exposure isn't a big gain, the potential for partners isn't a big gain, and the number of Caterham and Marussia cars you sell isn't going to be a big gain, either.

My post was bad because it implied they're just abusing the system and had no will to win. Obviously, that was just careless wording on my part. What I mean is that they want to win, like all the other teams, but they can't risk increasing their budgets to that level, so they don't improve.

Hey man, you did not commit a crime here! I got your drift. F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport. I am all for the underdog taking the best bone every now and then but this is no longer the golden ages of Vanwall or Tyrell and wasting millions on a fruitless pursuit may be OK for Bernie but it doesn't cut it with shareholders and potential investors. I would like to see a set budget for teams. If the creme a la creme in engineering and driving can't innovate or perform under those parameters then they lack ambition in my book. Ferrari have probably spent more than Silvio Berlusconi's legal bill on polishing a turd for the past three years and still struggle. Big budgets don't necessarily win WCC trophies. Brawn GP was testament to that fact in recent years. Cap the budget and we'll see more innovation than you can shake a stick at.

[quote name='hairy_scotsman' timestamp='1379064803' post='357227']
That's funny. I was reminded yesterday of Reservoir Dogs when I posted this.

[/quote]

Nah, that looks more like Whitting and a bunch of engineers and track authorities walking around a circuit.