Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

The Qantas Australian Grand Prix Official Race Preview Thread

At pretty much this time next week, the first starting grid of the season will be known. Will it be Massa on pole? Or perhaps di Resta? Who knows? Maybe the rookie driver Kimi Rack'o'fin (or whatever his name is) will surprise everyone and grab a pole on debut!!

Proceedings actually start at the track on Thursday (that's Wednesday night for our European audience, and Wednesday day for our American folk) with the support races which this year feature V8 Supercars (which fills the stadiums faster than someone saying "free VB here", and then empties again at the conclusion of their time on track, when oddly enough is when they all go to buy some VB at the beer tents), Formula Fords, Porsche Carerra Cup, Group A & C touring cars, and a historic cars parade, and the Red Bull Race off which involves DC, Rick Kelly (V8 Supercars driver), Robbie Maddison (stunt dude), "Mad Mike" Whiddett (my work-next-door-neighbour and sometime maker of my signwriting needs), Mitch Evans (Mark Webbers protege - Kiwi up and coming single seater star), and Speedway Champion Jason Crump.

This is Mike's new car, that is frickin loud when he cranks it up - I don't normally wear ear muffs when I'm outside the workshop...least not till he started testing the engine :P This was filmed at Hampton Downs on a wet day, so it kind of helps the drifting a bit. At 2:48 you see the puddle that is the bain of everyones life if they get out of control on turn three on a wet day....

Some footage of Rick Kelly starring as the victim and the villian, and featuring Eric's favourite Aussie, Marcos Ambrose being a naughty boy :P

Robbie Maddison doing what he does best....how he'll do this on four wheels around Albert Park I'm not so sure....

Mitch Evans takes the NZ Grand Prix title in 2011....the New Zealand Grand Prix previous winners include Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Chris Amon etc and is one of only two sanctioned FIA Grand Prix's outside of Formula One (the other being Macau)

Thanks Craig.

Any idea what the weather may be like yet, or is it too soon to tell? Heard some rumours rain could play a part in proceedings at some point, which I guess would make the opening race even more interesting.

Ten-day forecast, which will never, ever, ever be accurate:

40% chance of showers on Friday, 40% chance of showers on Saturday, 20% chance of showers on Sunday.

1) That doesn't break it down by hours yet so it may mean nothing.

2) I find 30% or less to mean it won't rain. 40% means there's barely a chance but they aren't ready to conclusively say it won't. So it probably doesn't mean anything.

3) It's a whole week from now so it definitely means nothing. :P

The "Probability of Precipitation" (PoP) describes the chance of precipitation occurring at any point you select in the area.

How do forecasters arrive at this value?

Mathematically, PoP is defined as follows:

PoP = C x A where "C" = the confidence that precipitation will occur somewhere in the forecast area, and where "A" = the percent of the area that will receive measureable precipitation, if it occurs at all.

So... in the case of the forecast above, if the forecaster knows precipitation is sure to occur ( confidence is 100% ), he/she is expressing how much of the area will receive measurable rain. ( PoP = "C" x "A" or "1" times ".4" which equals .4 or 40%.)

But, most of the time, the forecaster is expressing a combination of degree of confidence and areal coverage. If the forecaster is only 50% sure that precipitation will occur, and expects that, if it does occur, it will produce measurable rain over about 80 percent of the area, the PoP (chance of rain) is 40%. ( PoP = .5 x .8 which equals .4 or 40%. )

I'm not sure what all that means, but I'll get back to you on it after I've had a shot or two of rye.

So what you're saying is, that there is an 80% chance that 50% of the race track will be wet, and 50% chance that 80% of Melbourne will get wet, and 40% chance that 100% of Australia will get wet?????

So what you're saying is, that there is an 80% chance that 50% of the race track will be wet, and 50% chance that 80% of Melbourne will get wet, and 40% chance that 100% of Australia will get wet?????

and 100% chance that you are wet?

yea, I can't wait too :lol:

must be the most unpredictable start to a F1 season ever!

the q still lingers... Has the FIA successfully curbed RB's dominance... remains to be seen

So I've read the Red Bull has an edge in qualifying, but over the course of a tire run, McLaren can eat their lunch in an even bigger way than last year. I guess we'll find out how true that is this weekend. It'd be a lot of fun, though, to keep that gap really close not just in the championship, but over the course of an entire race.

Helmets guide: http://www.planetf1.com/photo-gallery/7592836/2012-Driver-Helmets#photo=0

Weather? Looks like it'll be clear all weekend, maybe a little rain Friday, but no doubt we should ask racing driver, BBC commentator, iTunes-charting musician, and renowned medical doctor Jaime Alguersuari for his opinion on the weather, given that he is, of course a meteorologist. Perhaps he's heard there will be enough rainfall Friday to fill a glass, and that...

That guide is wrong. All those should mention Vettel, as without doubt the fact that the guy changes his helmet design an average 2.765 times per race means that eventually he will have to wear all those combinations. Kinda the one thousand monkeys with one thousand typewriters with one thousand helmets, all being eaten by Helmut Marko for Christmas (just the mokeys and typewriters, the helmets are usually sold after new year's day)

As for helmets, there was only one cool helmet, and that one was Trulli's with his silver...chromed...shiny...whatever helmet.

Hamilton's helmet is wrong. Looks like he's copying Vettel's idea of having a different design for every race.

This is Australia's design.

422945_10150593495541360_608812161_n.jpg

Copying Vettel? He isn't the first driver to ever do different helmets for different races (Dan Wheldon did it every race for years, and he wasn't the first to do it, either)...and it looks like Hamilton is using the same design overall every week anyway with just a little touch to confuse people about his nationality (the American media still insists he is African-American; it would be politically incorrect to call him black and unpopular among journalists to research his actual heritage and nationality. They could just refer to him as the fine racing driver he is, recognizing that the only race that matters in F1 is the one that takes place after the lights go out, but then they wouldn't even be covering it in the first place). I guess drivers can't name their cars, either, that'd be copying Vettel, and they can't win poles and races, either, because that, too, has been legally protected by Vettel as something only he can do, and Barrister Alguersuari will be here any minute to defend that... :P

It ain't 100% accurate but I figure it's a nice spotters' guide for those of us (okay fine, for those of me) who need a little help telling the drivers apart. For all I know they have graphics and stuff to tell you that but what's the fun in being told?

Copying Vettel? He isn't the first driver to ever do different helmets for different races (Dan Wheldon did it every race for years, and he wasn't the first to do it, either)...and it looks like Hamilton is using the same design overall every week anyway with just a little touch to confuse people about his nationality (the American media still insists he is African-American; it would be politically incorrect to call him black and unpopular among journalists to research his actual heritage and nationality. They could just refer to him as the fine racing driver he is, recognizing that the only race that matters in F1 is the one that takes place after the lights go out, but then they wouldn't even be covering it in the first place). I guess drivers can't name their cars, either, that'd be copying Vettel, and they can't win poles and races, either, because that, too, has been legally protected by Vettel as something only he can do, and Barrister Alguersuari will be here any minute to defend that... :P

It ain't 100% accurate but I figure it's a nice spotters' guide for those of us (okay fine, for those of me) who need a little help telling the drivers apart. For all I know they have graphics and stuff to tell you that but what's the fun in being told?

Fine, if you want to be pedantic about it, copying Vettel's idea in F1 only because Vettel is the only driver ever, ever, ever to change his helmet design for every race IN FORMULA ONE but that may or may not apply to all other forms of motorsport around the world, including but not being limited to - Indycar, NASCAR, Touring Cars, Le Mans, Rallying, MotoGP and lawnmower racing. How's that? :P

I kinda like the idea of drivers changing their helmet designs. I know Vettel and a few others got a lot of flack for doing it IN FORMULA ONE last season because some fans would rather just see a driver use one design his whole career, but hey, I like changes. I like seeing new helmet designs before every race.

I know. I'm sad. I need to get out more. :P

I like the idea of drivers having designs that are personally meaningful to them rather than reflecting team colors. I know they have their sponsors and I know you don't want anything to clash, but could you imagine if Senna had a white and Marlbororange helmet? Then Bruno would have one, too! Wouldn't that be something?!?!?! History would be changed forever.

Okay fine, I guess it makes no difference, I just like when drivers have something personal...

...as long as it doesn't include any color Sebastian Vettel has ever liked, he was, after all, "FIRST!!!!!!1" ;)

Go, Nando! Go Team Poochie! Welcome back, Kimi, I hope you are still in as good form as ever!

post-1794-010866600 1331771018_thumb.jpg

How can he be African-American....he's from England, so it would be African-English if you were trying to be half right, because his ancestory is Grenada, so he is infact Grenadan-English.

You dumb-arse Yankees... grrrrrr

:P

Okay fine, I guess it makes no difference, I just like when drivers have something personal...

You raise an interesting point - I'd love to know what Vettel's helmet design was before he became a Red Bull backed driver.

I mean, it seems as soon as you become a RB junior driver, you have to wear what is effectively a glorified can design. Okay, Webber's perhaps the only exception. But look at Ricciardo and Vergne's helmets for this year - good luck telling them apart from the grand stand this year or in a wide shot on TV.

A shame as the crash helmet is part of a racing driver's identity. Or if you're Kimi, it simply protects your head. I heard someone once say they thought it should be illegal for drivers to have sponsor logos on their helmet designs because otherwise it'd be like having a Red Bull logo on your finger print. Not exactly normal. :P

At least with Mercedes it is easy. They've colour co-ordinated their drivers. Rosberg with yellow helmet, gloves, boots and camera, and Schumacher with red helmet, gloves, boots and camera. That's geeky levels of attention to detail and very German like. :P

This is Rich ! Mercedes apparently have some sort of rear-wing F-Duct System, which appears to've been Green-Lighted by Charlie Whiting. But Ross Brawn wont discuss what the system is, instead he goes into a soliloquy about "What is an F-duct" :P

I just Hope he isnt blowing Hot air :)

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/409917/Rivals_to_follow_Mercedes_wing_concept/