Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Replacing Massa

No, Gené and Badoer were replaced after 2010 with Fisichella and Bianchi. Bianchi was then replaced after 2011 with Davide Rigon, who is the offical listed third driver with the team. I think they'd be hiring from without rather than from within.

Even given JV some credit, the guy has no actual, interesting credential to provide to F1. No experiene in the current cars, not a remarkable career after his William Renault days, no outstanding skills to offset his strangeness to the new F1 world, no sponsorship backing...you might as well bring back Bernoldi, Tarso Marques, Montoya, Kubica or my Aunt. Will he be better than Massa? Of course. I would be at least as good as Massa, now. Might even improve if I get hit on the head. Could he be a success? Sure, why not. But would be a mere hit or miss.

I'd rather put Petrov anyday if going on a limb.

The most important thing in F1 IMO is the level of talent of your driver, all the other factors are secondary.

After he left Williams for BAR instead of going to Renault or an other winning team (he had two offers) - this decision ruined his carrer, he was in an hostile environment (RIchards never liked him, neither did Thiesen), so that explains his lack of performance after his WDC.

I like Frank Williams and trust his jugement. He said of JV that he was the only driver who had enough talent to beat Schumacher in the same car. And he was right IMO.

Of course, JV will not be back, but it would be mighty exciting to see him drive again.

Perez or Diresta are my choices to replace Massa (but Kubica would be my first choice if he were healthy).

When Villeneuve came back in a new car at BMW (Thiesen) it took him only a hlaf season to be on par or beat NH in almost every qualifying and race.

It's a morale thing, even if you don't think it's a performance thing.

The team works hard, and obviously I think they have real management issues but without getting into that, I'll say this. The managers give them Massa to work with. Massa makes their hard work entirely pointless.

By replacing Massa, the team is making two statements:

1) We don't tolerate poor performance, even if we really like you.

2) You guys are doing your job, we're trying to get a driver to do his.

Don't underestimate the impact shuffling staff can have on everyone else in the team. If the team feels as though "hey, the bosses are seeing the problems and making changes," they'll feel better about doing their best. When you know the driver is just phoning it in, you get frustrated, and frustrated people don't work very well. Either that, or it's a collective kick in the a## to everyone; if they'll take out the driver, someone who is hard to replace and in the public eye, they'll take out anyone who isn't doing it the right way.

It really does make a difference for the people working in the team. Even if the driver isn't an upgrade, you might get the team extra motivated, and everyone feeling better, and that could even trickle over to Alonso's side. I don't work there, obviously, I don't know how the team is feeling or what they're doing but I know big personnel changes like this can be really positive for a lot of people in a work place. It isn't as cut-and-dry as "Massa is a 14th place driver, d'Ambrosio is a 13th place driver, what's the difference?"

There's more than that to it. Ferrari is not only being left behind in the WCC, their are being caught up fast by the teams behind. And that means less money. Money is not something Ferrari desperately need, but when you work in a multi national company you start to comprehend that there's money, and then there's MONEY. Prize money is worth lots even if you are swimming in euros, because that is what the shareholders want. Losing USD 5 because Massa sucks is hard to explain to a bunch of investors.

The more he stays, the more SD and LdM will get under fire. At some point, even a Badoer can't be worse than this. The only way they could do worse than Massa is if they crash more. And any other option will be either cheaper than Felipinho, or better even marginally. And there are plent, readily available and equally disposable drivers until Perez or whatever comes aboard.

Absolutely.

I was just trying to illustrate that even if it doesn't look like replacing Massa with any of the others would make any difference in performance (and therefore the WCC), it still can, because of what it does off-the-track. The ultimate goal doesn't change. It's just achieved in ways more complicated than "well I don't think d'Ambrosio or whomever is a better driver than Massa is."

I think we must also take into account that, at the moment, Fernando’s driving is amazing. He is on super form, maybe even perfect.

Fernando may be driving above form, but Felipe, I think we must also take into account that, at the moment, and for the last year, you're driving below form and getting pretty far away from it.

With my driving style maybe I struggle a bit more, because I don’t manage to find a smooth way of driving.

:lol: 10/10 would read again.

All the doctors I consulted are prepared to swear hand on heart that there are absolutely no traces of the impact with the spring. As for myself, I don’t feel in any way different to the way I was before that weekend. For example, if it was true that I no longer had the same will to win as before or the same courage, then how can one explain the fact that, at the race start, I am probably still one of the best drivers and I am not the sort to hold back when it comes to overtaking?

Boy's brave. I'd cop out and say "why, yes, I do feel different after the accident, it's so sad." :P

Full interview, I liked it:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-felipe-massa-qa-fernandos-alonso-driving-is-amazing

I spent several years in and around F1 and when I hear statements like, 'Felipe is one of the drivers we are considering for 2013' or' Felipe has the team's full backing, even the Chairman' it usually signals a swift exit for the subject of the quote - in this case, Felipe. On the other hand, far more perverse things have happened like Ross Brawn hanging on to Jenson, against all the pundit's forecasts when the team was bought for a song from Honda. There have been other cases too and it may suit the Scuderia to hang on to Massa. He doesn't make waves, for sure but he doesn't score points at the moment either and RBR have demonstrated that you can't win WCCs without the second car making the podium on a regular basis. Brawn's stunning debut Trophy was as much about Rubino's supporting role and fill-in wins as it was Jenson's early season's blast. Ferrari will never win another WCC without two reliable cars piloted by mercurial drivers. They know it, we know it and almost certainly, Felipe does too.

Heidfeld

Mazzacane

Trulli

Schumacher.

Why not? it would be a marketing wet dream for the remainder of the year, boost investment (those Spanish banks are looking shaky right now!) and give them time to source a long term pilot.

It would also get Merc and Schumi out of the inevitable embarrassing end of year none contract talks.

I honestly see no losers in this suggestion - it may well have been intended as a jest, but dribbler, you are a genius (on this occasion).

Schumacher.

Nah. He may get Domenicali's job, though.

McNish

Stranger things have happened - in fiction!

Heidfeld

Mazzacane

Trulli

Don't think someh.png

Hmm. Here we go. Juan Pablo Montoya?

Hmm. Here we go. Juan Pablo Montoya?

He wouldn't fit in there. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

He wouldn't fit in there. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Fit in the car?.... Yeah, he is a bit porkycool22.gif

I know english is not your first language, as in the case with me, but you really make me laugh sometimes...

And that's my friend what really matters at the end of the day!

Michael Schumacher may be the replacement after all, since Casey Stoner hasn't influenced him to retire. rolleyes.gif

http://www.gpupdate....nce-schumacher/

I'm sorry, but that's just the silliest journalism I've seen a while. What do they expect? "As a matter of fact, yes, I will retire right now, Stoner's retiring and therefore I must retire, too."

I'd love to see Schumacher as Alonso's number two at Ferrari next year. It would be too funny. But we all know Schumacher retired to save Massa's seat so I guess he'll retire again to avoid replacing him. tongue.png

By the way, has anyone mentioned Adrian Sutil? Will I be allowed to show my face in public again if I suggest they look at him?