Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Indianapolis 500

:lol: Not even Scotty Brayton hit 238 his pole year in 1996, though Luyendyk almost did the next day...

Cunningham had an issue with mechanical grip yesterday. Much faster today.

Saavedra lost an engine, first Chevrolet failure. This could be exciting...we haven't had engines letting go in a long time...

NBCSN's telemetry said Will Power was doing 253 mph in turn three. These new cars aren't so bad after all. ;)

Big rumor:

Part of the deal with Lotus to get Chevrolet engines for Dragon? Ban T-cars from qualifying tomorrow and thus ensuring both Loti race.

I hope that's not true. That's against the Indy 500, that's against history, that's against everyone and everything.

Been balancing qualifying with other things/NHL hockey.

My understanding:

A lot of teams got overboost penalties during their run, such as Andretti and Dixon, and therefore they are not very fast. Race control makes the engine go reuigheruifherwf and it screws you up.

Bryan Clauson lost it and destroyed his car. Dammit.

Oriol Servià crashed, too. Dammit dammit dammit.

Big surprise? Rubens Barrichello (BAR, NOT BEAR, GAAAAAH), just bumped out by Tony Kanaan who had his first time voided by a missing weight on his mirror, is solidly in the show. The four fastest laps he ever ran at the track were in qualifying today. Clutch. Guy's a class act, really, really is. I like him. I swear, that F1 paddock, it must do a number on these guys. You see Barrichello here (with the U.S. flag on his helmet now :P), and he's just so happy and personable.

Ed Carpenter's slow. Slow slow slow.

Honda's slow. Slow slow slow.

Wade Cunningham was doing 214s, got flagged. Had to laugh; A.J. Foyt just threw Clauson and Servià under the bus in his interview (because Foyt and his drivers have never wrecked...I think Foyt's just upset they went aggressive on the wing angle because Foyt doesn't actually know how wings work...anyway, Servià was almost signed by Foyt for this year until Conway bought money, and Clauson was linked to Foyt's second car for Indy all winter and spring...ironic), then his driver goes out there tooting at 214.

Sébastien Bourdais got flagged by Jay Penske. I think Jay just wanted to see himself with his slicked back hair on TV waving a flag. Bourdais would have been in the top 24 and actually did his fastest time on the lap he was flagged.

www.racecontrol.indycar.com will be up for a few hours, then it goes back on U.S. TV and therefore offline.

Big disappointment: the cars don't sound cool on TV. Only on the crappy quality stream. They sound quiet, low, and boring on TV. Sucks. They were SCREAMING on the stream.

ALSO:

They are practicing right now, not qualifying, as they do when no one wants to qualify. So the timing and scoring times are for practice not for qualifying.

I guess Ed Carpenter had a big hit. I wouldn't know because NBC and NBCSN are both showing the same exact coverage of pre-race to something with horses. I understand; horsies get more viewers, but what I don't understand is why people watch two hours of pre-race for like, what, 10 seconds of horsies running to their death. But they watch it and that's why it's on.

Conway bumps Bourdais for the 24th spot.

Bryan Clauson has a wrist injury or a thumb injury or something. Should be cleared for tomorrow. Sucks to see two small teams (SFHR and ECR) with good USAC guys wreck. I guess ECR won't be pulling out a second car tomorrow even if they're allowed to.

James Jakes doing business in the 223s. That knocks Conway out of the 24. Jakes is P17, ahead of his teammate Wilson.

It'll be interesting to see everyone at 130 kPa for the race. I don't like that we lost all the parity in qualifying, mostly because I don't like Andretti Autosport or Team Penske :P, but if the cars starting at the front aren't the ones that are going to win the race, that's awesome. I have a hard time seeing Hinchcliffe, Hunter-Reay, or Andretti being good enough drivers to win the Indy 500, no disrespect to them. 500 miles is a long time for the latter two and Hinchcliffe...he's never been a real "winning" kind of guy. Consistently toward the front, but he doesn't really win races and championships, and this is a big one.

Jimmy Jakes from Leeds...what an accent, though we'd like him more if he were from Leeds, AL. :P

Sebastián Saavedra on and I just want to mention that tonight the USAC Silver Crown championship is running nearby in Clermont, IN.

Qualifying is over for the top 24 after Saavedra. Pole shootout next. Wade Cunningham is on the bubble.

Saavedra is in at 24th.

Drivers who need to qualify tomorrow:

Wade Cunningham

Mike Conway

Sebastién Bourdais

Bryan Clauson

Ed Carpenter

Katherine Legge

Oriol Servià

Jean Alesi

Simona de Silvestro

Drivers going for pole in 26 minutes:

James Hinchcliffe

Will Power

Ryan Hunter-Reay

Hélio Castroneves

Ryan Briscoe

Tony Kanaan

Marco Andretti

Josef Newgarden

E.J. Viso

Drivers 10-24:

Rubens Barrichello

Alex Tagliani

Graham Rahal

Ana Beatriz

Charlie Kimball

Scott Dixon

Dario Franchitti

James Jakes

J.R. Hildebrand

Takuma Sato

Townsend Bell

Justin Wilson

Michel Jourdain, Jr.

Simon Pagenaud

Sebastián Saavedra

Anywhere there's a stream for what is going on? Searching justin.tv and such right now.

Nevermind, just found one. This should be fun to see without having any knowledge of what is happening. When do they start going for pole?

HEY ERIC THERE'S PEOPLE TALKING IN HERE ISN'T THIS BRILLIANT? :P j/k

Err...on the very little I know about Indycar, I'd like to see Hinchcliffe or Newgarden on pole. Or both on the front row. Same difference.

Hinchcliffe looked like he'd do it but lost it on the last lap. P2 for now. Biggest reaction from the crowd so far.

Typical...other people start posting in Eric's thread and he packs a tiffy and throws his toys out of the cot and runs off....

:P

Good time to try and overtake his number of posts in this thread then...actually, I'm not sure that is possible! :P