Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Indianapolis 500

SparkNotes of this thread: I like the Indy 500 but I don't know the rules so don't ask me but I know one rule and it's the only rule they don't even uphold to its fullest meaning.

Why did Kanaan and Viso not run anyway? I know Newgarden only did one run and said he didn't want to risk crashing, so I guess I've answered my own question in a way...

They're pussies.

Okay, the rule:

Slowest car, regardless of qualification day, gets bumped.

The one bumping cannot out-rank anyone who qualified on previous days.

If the rules were applied, the one bumping in would knock Viso out, and rank anywhere from 24th to 33rd depending on how fast he/she went.

But I don't think they would apply them that way, which is horse turd.

Never...because this is the first year anyone has not set a time in the Shootout.

But the rule states: the slowest qualified car, regardless of position, is bumped from the field.

However, when you bump in, I believe you bump into 33rd regardless of speed but you are not on the bubble unless you are the slowest car (so the slowest car could be ahead). But now I'm not sure...maybe you can bump in as high as 25th...but no, you wouldn't start any better than 25th, I know that, you can't start better than 25th...but you can knock out anyone qualified anywhere as long as that driver is the slowest qualified car, and technically, Kanaan and Viso are, but noooooo, let's make the rules messy, I say Kanaan and Viso are on the bubble...

My point being: someone would bump into 33rd, but they would knock Viso out of the field if the rules were applied the way they were written.

It doesn't matter anyway because we don't have more than 33 cars and I doubt we will.

But they qualified in the top-9 during the top-24 pole day. Those in 10-24 are set by their times today are they not? So the top 24 would stand even if none of the top 9 turned a lap for pole??

No, Jim, the serious answer is that they're pussies but the other answer is that they're pussies who didn't think they could win pole.

I'd kind of like to just go back to old qualifying where it's open until 6 PM for everyone and the chips just fall wherever. Three attempts, must withdraw time to go out again. But that's just me. This made-for-TV shootout stuff has too many weird rules implications.

In other words, the shoot out is just a bonus thing for the top 9 guys...much the same in V8 Supercars

But they qualified in the top-9 during the top-24 pole day. Those in 10-24 are set by their times today are they not? So the top 24 would stand even if none of the top 9 turned a lap for pole??

If no one in the top nine did a complete run, but everyone made an attempt (left pit road), they would start 1-9 in the order they were in prior to the shootout starting.

But the point is, their last qualifying run, scored, would be 000.000. Those would be the slowest times in the field and you bump out cars by speed, not by rank. You can't start ahead of anyone who qualified on a day before you, but you can bump them out.

I don't even know what the shootout is. A joke. :P

Unless Tag and Servià make the front row and Dixon has a fuel pickup issue on his final lap then it's great. :P

Haha I'm making no comment. He's a moderator. I'm scared ever since he edited my post in my topic waaaah it is so unfair he's a big bully. sad.png

Ouch. Sounds expensive. Hope you get it fixed up soon.

Yeah it might be...have to pull the engine out of the car this week, then we start stripping it. First thought is conrod bearing. Hope its a conrod bearing. Hope it's nothing too bad, but when your oil pressure drops to zero and you're in top gear at 5000+ rpm.....

But they used to do 11/11/11. 1-11 on day one, 12-22, then 13-33, then Bump Day. You always bump out slowest. So if on day two, you had 22 cars qualified, but the slowest was the guy in 11th, he would be bumped if the 23rd car were fast. But the 23rd car would start rank no better than 11th. Arie Luyendyk holds the single-lap and four-lap qualifying record; he started 20th behind 19 first-day qualifiers (I forget how they did it in 1996).

I don't even know what the shootout is. A joke. tongue.png

Unless Tag and Servià make the front row and Dixon has a fuel pickup issue on his final lap then it's great. tongue.png

Servia is going to tag Tag and both will crash out on lap 3. Scotty will economise his fuel, and win the race by overtaking Hinchcliffe on the last corner

But they used to do 11/11/11. 1-11 on day one, 12-22, then 13-33, then Bump Day. You always bump out slowest. So if on day two, you had 22 cars qualified, but the slowest was the guy in 11th, he would be bumped if the 23rd car were fast. But the 23rd car would start rank no better than 11th. Arie Luyendyk holds the single-lap and four-lap qualifying record; he started 20th behind 19 first-day qualifiers (I forget how they did it in 1996).

Typical complicated make a rule cause we need a rule, rule.

I hear that your new banking regulations being proposed, of 180 new rules, is already 5000-pages long and not even half of the new rules have been written. You'll never get a home loan Eric...the bank manager will need six months just to read the first ten rules...

http://www.indianapo...ventinfo/51728/

So IndyCar score Kanaan and Viso at their pre-shootout times, but are P8 and P9 for not turning in a time in their session because you don't withdraw times in the Shootout. I think that's dumb.

I think it's fair as it rewards the top 9 and makes the previous session mean something, or why would you push to get into the top 9 if you could bump yourself into pole the next day?

Servia is going to tag Tag and both will crash out on lap 3. Scotty will economise his fuel, and win the race by overtaking Hinchcliffe on the last corner

Oriol's going to be pretty far back there to take Alex out...I wouldn't count Dixon or Franchitti out of winning. I'd be surprised if Hinchcliffe is still running on lap 200 personally...

Honestly, I have no prediction yet for the race. A lot of guys (mostly Honda guys) are a lot better with the normal boost in race trim, but it all depends on how well you can overtake. If it's easier to close (which it looks like to me) and slipstream (I can't tell yet), I'm not counting out anyone with a Honda/Chevrolet other than Legge, she won't win. If it isn't, I say Penske splits his strategies and one wins. I think the Chevrolet has better fuel economy at the moment...not sure there, either...

Oriol's going to be pretty far back there to take Alex out...I wouldn't count Dixon or Franchitti out of winning. I'd be surprised if Hinchcliffe is still running on lap 200 personally...

Honestly, I have no prediction yet for the race. A lot of guys (mostly Honda guys) are a lot better with the normal boost in race trim, but it all depends on how well you can overtake. If it's easier to close (which it looks like to me) and slipstream (I can't tell yet), I'm not counting out anyone with a Honda/Chevrolet other than Legge, she won't win. If it isn't, I say Penske splits his strategies and one wins. I think the Chevrolet has better fuel economy at the moment...not sure there, either...

Well that's betting your left testicle...."anyone with a Honda/Chevrolet" :P

Typical complicated make a rule cause we need a rule, rule.

I hear that your new banking regulations being proposed, of 180 new rules, is already 5000-pages long and not even half of the new rules have been written. You'll never get a home loan Eric...the bank manager will need six months just to read the first ten rules...

:lol: This house is paid for already and it's mine to inherit...I'll just have to rent until then... :P

I think it's fair as it rewards the top 9 and makes the previous session mean something, or why would you push to get into the top 9 if you could bump yourself into pole the next day?

You can't bump yourself into pole tomorrow; the 1-24 would be set. They should qualify 1-24 today in a session from 11 AM to 6 PM with no shootout. Then qualify 25-33 tomorrow.

I wouldn't be against qualifying 1-33 Saturdays and bumping on Sundays. If it becomes a free practice day, so be it...

But they do it this way so whatever. :P

Well that's betting your left testicle...."anyone with a Honda/Chevrolet" tongue.png

:lol: At least I'm still optimistic about Honda...many who probably know more than I do aren't...though Mike Hull and Bobby Rahal are so I'll trust them...maybe...Rahal had a fling with Danica...so I don't trust him...I don't know if she was even 18 back then...disgusting...

laugh.png This house is paid for already and it's mine to inherit...I'll just have to rent until then... tongue.png

You can't bump yourself into pole tomorrow; the 1-24 would be set. They should qualify 1-24 today in a session from 11 AM to 6 PM with no shootout. Then qualify 25-33 tomorrow.

I wouldn't be against qualifying 1-33 Saturdays and bumping on Sundays. If it becomes a free practice day, so be it...

But they do it this way so whatever. tongue.png

You should start a petition then.

Or become their boss.

Why do you want to live in your ma and pa's house....that shows no interest in getting out there off your own back, nor to go anywhere in the world and live...never understood doing that myself...growing up in a house, then when the olds pass, living in it....same town your whole life....etc etc

laugh.png At least I'm still optimistic about Honda...many who probably know more than I do aren't...though Mike Hull and Bobby Rahal are so I'll trust them...maybe...Rahal had a fling with Danica...so I don't trust him...I don't know if she was even 18 back then...disgusting...

I had a fling with Danica once...unfortunately she wasn't there at the time.... :P

I've lived in three towns in my life, I'll have you know, and two of them had the same name but were hundreds of miles apart. tongue.png

Can't get much further from here...teacher certifications are by state, so I can't leave this state once I get one, and I can only get one here, because I go to college here...now after working three years from five I'll be able to go to another state but I'd still have to take other courses that I don't want to take because the teacher certification for accounting/business ed is weird in my state compared to others...and being a teacher I'll never have money for a house here because the cost of living is very high...and I like free things...I just have to find somewhere to go until my parents decide to downsize and move out...

Last time I moved out I found out that I am:

1) Very clean.

2) Very good with money.

3) Very responsible.

4) Absolutely bored ****less living alone.

5) Absolutely frustrated ****less living with others.

6) Not someone who likes cities, at all.

7) Not someone who really likes much of anything or anyone. tongue.png

They might decide to sell up and give you a cheque for five times zero dollars....I hear that is a lot of money in the States these days :P

They might decide to sell up and give you a cheque for five times zero dollars....I hear that is a lot of money in the States these days tongue.png

:lol: One parent sold it to the other for $100...home values must be dropping worse than I thought. :P