Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Indianapolis 500

James Jakes goes 217.755, fastest official lap ever turned by a DW12 at Indianapolis now.

Here comes Jean Alesi. Let's see how it goes.

Clauson just flew past Alesi and rocketed away. Yikes. Jakes goes 217.893, even faster now. It's not much, but three Honda engines ahead of the Chevrolet says that in the hands of the right driver (like Franchitti or Dixon), Honda can do it.

Alesi, fastest lap ever (with a tow briefly): 175.808. He's flying now.

218.268 for Jakes, we've broken 218! It's starting to feel a little more like Indy. I don't think he even had a tow.

Clauson's been steady in the 215 range without a tow.

Alesi's second lap of this stint was a 174.796, but now he hits 179.647 on the third. He's all over the place. Still not even quick enough to run the Brickyard 400.

All cars in the pits now.

Bryan Clauson has completed orientation. Just Wade Cunningham and Jean Alesi left to pass.

Cunnigham isn't looking quick enough right now, but he's hovering around 210. Gotta beat it, though.

Alesi did a 186.387. He's faster than a stock car. He can't even get through phase one. I wonder how fast the Lotus would go with a real team and a competent driver. We'll never know, since it's just Alesi and de Silvestro who, as nice of a person as she is, is not going to take the Lotus to its full potential (low as that is) on this particular track.

Also: streaming will be available beginning Saturday with the first full practice, open to everyone.

Final times for today:

1. James Jakes - 218.268

2. Bryan Clauson - 217.046

3. Josef Newgarden - 216.573

4. Rubens Barrichello - 214.083

5. Simon Pagenaud - 214.055

6. Michel Jourdain, Jr. - 213.633

7. Wade Cunningham - 210.318

8. Jean Alesi - 186.387

Cunningham did not complete the third phase. Alesi did not complete any phases.

Eligible drivers for Opening Day on Saturday total 29, assuming Tagliani has an engine. Bourdais, Legge, Cunningham, and Alesi cannot practice until they complete their objectives.

18257109_BG3.jpg

I'm as surprised as Luyendyk that this guy is only 47. Mid-60s, maybe.

Looks like Cunningham and Alesi will get their chance tomorrow. If Legge and Bourdais have engines, they'll be there, too.

Some new paint:

Clpv.jpg

Newgarden's Dollar General.

asi4rqcaaeogwojpglarge.jpg

Jourdain's Office Depot.

asja6aecmaalzo7jpglarge.jpg

Alesi's F.P. Journe.

5-10-Alesi-First-Laps-At-IMS-Wide.jpg

Same car, another angle. So glad this is the only black-and-gold car in the field now.

asjl8wmcqaa5ipqjpglarge.jpg

Clauson's barren wasteland.

The cars are still really offensive from certain angles, but the speedway wings/bumper/aero package is a lot nicer. They're racecars going around the greatest track of them all, preparing for the world's best race. I have no complaints.

GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! LOOK WHAT THEY DID! THEY INCREASED THE BOOST FOR THE PRACTICE ON MAY 18, POLE DAY THE SUBSEQUENT DAY, AND BUMP DAY THE DAY AFTER. EXTRA 40-50 HORSEPOWER FOR QUALIFYING ONLY. THEY'RE LETTING THEM GO THIS IS SO COOL THEY'RE GOING TO BE FLYING AND THE DRIVERS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO REALLY GET ON THE WHEEL NOW AND THAT FAVORS ED CARPENTER AND BRYAN CLAUSON and those talented European guys too I guess AND IT'S REALLY COOL LET'S GO!

With the boost changes, pole speed is estimated to be around 223-225. I will take that.

To celebrate Target's 50th anniversary, Dario Franchitti will run car #50 in the Indianapolis 500 instead of his usual #10. #50 has never won the race.

It's sort of silly as an idea, but it didn't bother me...until I saw the number...

5-11-Franchitti-New-Number-Other.jpg

I think it's time for Indy to just give out standard number decals. Get that trash out of there. That to me is car #5 with sponsorship branding on the endplate. It looks so goofy and unprofessional to have numbers like the ones Viso and Barrichello use, and now this #5-target crap.

Ban Dario Franchitti!

Jean Alesi passed phases one and two today. He and Cunningham need to still pass the third. Alesi's fastest was somewhere in the high 208s. Huge progress.

This goes 12:00 to 6:00 Eastern today for Opening Day. Should be streaming.

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

I wonder how much extra boost they gave Alesi yesterday. He and Cunningham can't practice this afternoon; neither can Bourdais or Legge, who still have no engine. As far as I know, Tagliani, who can practice, also has no engine. So there are only 30 cars entered for the Indy 500 right now, and only 28 of them can actually run. I am confused as to why Cunningham didn't try to complete phase three yesterday; only Alesi was on the track.

The ultimate underdogs, Fan Force United, don't even have a real website: http://lotusfanforceunited.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/chapter-1/

Good for them to have made it through two phases.

And lastly, Rubens Barrichello has now been to Indianapolis: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-millers-mug-n-bun-trip-with-barrichello-kanaan

1107911_article_img_large3.jpg

Stream is horrid but it's live. Josef Newgarden is the only one with a flying lap thus far. 218.328 mph.

No one's there. PA announcer Dave Calabro is providing commentary.

Bryan Clauson's going out now. Only SFHR seem to want to send their cars out early, for whatever reason.

No engine noise on the stream, which is too bad.

214.655 mph on his first lap. These cars are really ugly at speed, but oh well, they're at IMS.

You know, Clauson was born in California, but lists Noblesville, IN (or Deerfield, depends) as his hometown. There's another California-born USAC driver with a Hoosier hometown. Jeff Gordon. Those two aren't as connected as Danica Patrick and Casey Mears, of course. Both have women's names, both have just one career win at the top level, both finished fourth in their 500-mile IndyCar debuts, and both did so driving for Bobby Rahal.

To celebrate Target's 50th anniversary, Dario Franchitti will run car #50 in the Indianapolis 500 instead of his usual #10. #50 has never won the race.

It's sort of silly as an idea, but it didn't bother me...until I saw the number...

5-11-Franchitti-New-Number-Other.jpg

I think it's time for Indy to just give out standard number decals. Get that trash out of there. That to me is car #5 with sponsorship branding on the endplate. It looks so goofy and unprofessional to have numbers like the ones Viso and Barrichello use, and now this #5-target crap.

Ban Dario Franchitti!

That's pretty similar to the numbers used in MotoGP actually.

VALENTINO_ROSSI_46_STOCKER.jpg

lorenzo_99_halo.gif

Etc.

Clauson does a 217.421 without any help.

Rubens Barrichello seems like a really great guy.

Viso, Carpenter, and Newgarden out on the track now doing laps.

Viso does a 202.282, now up to 213.409. Charlie Kimball heads out, Carpenter does an installion lap and pits again.

Newgarden doing 216s now; was in the 218s earlier. Kmball doesn't do a lap. Viso up to 214.198 mph. Everyone's on a different program, but it's good to see that Chevrolet isn't just lighting Honda up out there.

Jourdain's looking to get a tow from Newgarden, we'll see how quickly he can go now...211.276. Didn't get close enough for the draft as Newgarden pits. Up to 213.467 now; fourth of the four who have done laps. I'll be interested to see what kind of trim the SFHR cars are in; it's hard to tell how fast they really are, but they're well clear of the other two.

Barrichello suggested that these cars are hard to keep going in a straight line because they want to turn so much. Welcome to oval racing. All about oversteer.

Jourdain does a 214.019, pulls off. Four drivers have taken time as I go for a lunch break from updates only I will read. :P

That Lorenzo number is horrid. I'm ready to advocate for standardized black numbers in a white box again. :P

sf-ind01.jpg

:lol: Servià still has Lotus colors on his Chevrolet. Awesome. Can't wait to see them get some colors for the 500. I think they tried to make the gold into a silver-ish white at first glance.

That Lorenzo number is horrid. I'm ready to advocate for standardized black numbers in a white box again. tongue.png

sf-ind01.jpg

You'll love when he used the Number 1 then:

jorge_lorenzo_number_1_logo_by_grishnak_mcmlxxix-d3bp7q1.png

Haha it's so clever he mixed J and L together to make 1 hahahaha.

Anyway...I'll stop dragging this off topic.

216.281 puts Kanaan third as the SFHR cars both go purple. They are running in tow; Newgarden trailing Clauson. Josef is 219.795, Clauson is 217.651. Definitely faster to be behind, but surprised they can't even break 220 in a tow.

:lol: No trust me, James, it looks better when other people post here. Three pages of me talking to myself isn't a great endorsement of me. :P

That's an awful number. These stupid kids and their creativity. Get a haircut and a job. :)

This time it's Kimball passing the slow car of Hildebrand. Two guys who I don't think ever want to meet again.

vtbAx.png

Kimball's looking more comfortable this year, both in the Texas test, and now at 215.928. Bob Jenkins takes over the PA. Bob's a good guy. I've emailed him a few times. He has so much passion for the 500.

Kimball and Hildebrand both go over 217. Getting closer to those SFHR cars. Kimball pits at 217.361. Not bad. Top three all Honda engines. Have to see what the Chevrolet big guns can bring.

Bryan Clauson's heading out. I guess the last PA announcer, Dave Calabro, went to get a hot dog. The food's a big part of the 500. Pork tenderloin sandwiches...if you ever go, that's what you have to do, or else you never actually went.

Clauson does a 217.256 on his own; not as fast as his lap leading Newgarden around, but still, pretty good, as Rubens Barrichello heads out for his first flying lap. Servià is out on track now too. And we have engine noise!

Barrichello doesn't complete a lap, just checking that everything works. #50, whoever that is, goes out.

Clauson does 217.965 without a tow. This guy is good. I hope we see him at some more ovals.

Carpenter, Kanaan, Servià, Briscoe, Newgarden, it's getting crowded on the Speedway!

Carpenter, Servià, and Kanaan may be towing off each other. Servià looks to have deliberately lost the draft to do single car runs.

Kanaan: 216.670. Servià is way off the pace. Did two laps in the 203s and one in the 196. Remember that he has a Chevrolet for the first time now. Probably not Chevy's finest engine and as I say that he goes to a 216.732. Not sure why it took him four laps or so to get there, but he's P5 now.