Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sadam

Schumacher's Frustration More Visible Now (Could It Be Due To Kimi's Success?)

Recently, Schumi has been very critical of Pirelli tyre. Statements like "It's like driving on raw eggs" show just how frustrated he has become. He kept cool for two years. But lets face it; Schumacher's return has been less than convincing, whereas Raikkonen's return has been Stellar. I think Schumacher's display of frustration is more a result of Kimi's success, because now he has nowhere to hide. Before there was no benchmark for Schumacher. Now, unfortunately for him, there is.

Kimi himself said that Schumi didn't have a good car in his comeback. And Schumi isn't the only one upset with the Pirellis. A lot of other guys are too.

As a fellow middle-ager with schumi. I can relate to the "grumpy old man" comments.

I've never been a great fan of schumi as a driver, but as a man, I am in awe.

He's still a great ambassador for the sport, and for all us guys.

I'm getting sick of hearing all the schumi-bashing now.

OK, so he's not the best on the grid - he sure ain't the worst.

I wonder how many other drivers would even be considered for a top seat drive when they're in their forties.............mmmmmmnnnm NONE!

I fear that in the none too distant future, the grid will be full of polite, media-groomed young autons - then we'll all remember just how good (and interesting) these "old guys" really were.

ok ,,,,,,, that's my grumpy old man moment passed .....for now!

Kimi himself said that Schumi didn't have a good car in his comeback. And Schumi isn't the only one upset with the Pirellis. A lot of other guys are too.

True

Agreed. Agreed. But I'm talking only about Schumi's state of mind. Maybe we shouldn't compare Schumi and Kimi. But Schumi in his own mind is comparing himself with Kimi. That's what I'm saying.

As a fellow middle-ager with schumi. I can relate to the "grumpy old man" comments.

I've never been a great fan of schumi as a driver, but as a man, I am in awe.

He's still a great ambassador for the sport, and for all us guys.

I'm getting sick of hearing all the schumi-bashing now.

OK, so he's not the best on the grid - he sure ain't the worst.

I wonder how many other drivers would even be considered for a top seat drive when they're in their forties.............mmmmmmnnnm NONE!

I fear that in the none too distant future, the grid will be full of polite, media-groomed young autons - then we'll all remember just how good (and interesting) these "old guys" really were.

ok ,,,,,,, that's my grumpy old man moment passed .....for now!

This was not at all meant to be Schumi Bashing. Maybe saying "... because now he has nowhere to hide" was a bit harsh, for which I apologize to all Schumi fans.

Agreed. Agreed. But I'm talking only about Schumi's state of mind. Maybe we shouldn't compare Schumi and Kimi. But Schumi in his own mind is comparing himself with Kimi. That's what I'm saying.

This was not at all meant to be Schumi Bashing. Maybe saying "... because now he has nowhere to hide" was a bit harsh, for which I apologize to all Schumi fans.

I don't think Schumi benchmarks himself against Kimi; he's too experienced to do that.

And you don't have to apologize for "anti-Schumitism", as you didn't personally attack his fans.

I actually respect Schumacher for what he did. He didn't have to return, but he did when he had nothing more to achieve. He came back such was his love for the sport. It's fair to say that not many people if they had been in Michael's position would have done that.

It's also clear that the cars and the sport in general changed a great deal more in the time he was out than it changed in the time that Kimi was out. No disrespect to Kimi, but that's the way it is.

It has been frustrating for me as a Michael fan to see his struggles. Michael was basically the guy I grew up watching when I was younger. I had hoped when it was announced he'd return things would go better, but F1 is a difficult sport to be successful at. I think serious questions would have to be asked of the current driving talent if a 40 something year old could suddenly come out of retirement and start beating everyone again anyway!

Okay, I can accept, 2010 was a mediocre year for him. 2011 was stronger, he was closer to Rosberg's pace more of the time compared to '10. This year has been difficult so far, but a positive sign. Qualifying so strongly at the first three races of the year, outqualifying Rosberg in the first two...I think if he can just stop worrying about the tyres and get some decent luck things will go a lot better than 2010 and 2011 put together.

I think it'd be a great story for F1 in general if Michael returned to the podium, or even won. Look at Canada last year where he came so close to a podium - Michael was trending for a long time on Twitter after the race. Even people who before weren't Schumacher fans were excited to see him doing so well. F1 is full of great stories, and that'd be another one right there.

I don't agree with his comments about Pirelli tyres as I've explained before. No doubt if he does manage to get on the podium again they'll be the best tyres he's ever had!

I'm no Schumi fan, but you cant compare his circumstance to Kimi's. There are too many factors to consider if you were to compare them. In the modern era of Pirelli F1 small differences in driving style can make or break someone's sunday afternoon. I suppose that is the essence of his complaint against these tyres.

Michael's comments have as much to do with Kimi's comeback as tits have to do with blancmange.

I don't think you win seven championships by letting other drivers get in your head. Maybe Schumacher's mental game has regressed, but I doubt it. I think he's just a little bit older and no longer driving in the perfect situation surrounded by the perfect people against a field of drivers who aren't.

I've never understood why things that are just so simple in other sports (i.e. athletes get injured, or that athletes very rarely produce as much in their lates 30s and beyond as they did in their 20s and early 30s) in racing. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that we try to find reasons for all this stuff that happens; certainly, it's interesting. But I just think these things are just the way things are and always have been and we spend a lot of time shocked by things that are happening all the time everywhere else.

Performance aside, his frustrations...

If Schumacher is showing more frustration, I think it has more to do with the fact he has a better car this year than the last two, and is pretty sure it's his final year, and he knows that he could really be getting better results than he has. I assume he only cares about his own performance and he's not happy with it because he should be regularly in the points and he knows that. The fewer races he has left to run, the more important each weekend gone wrong becomes.

SparkNotes: He's a professional athlete and he's competitive, but this is racing, so I'm going to try to explain that in great detail. :P

Guys that complain aren't all idiots. Guys that are happy aren't all PR drones. Guys that seem to have less life than an abandoned quarry aren't all Kimi. We tend to take a single comment/action from a guy with a mind as complex as ours and motivations as complex as ours, extrapolate it as if it was his only reason d'etre and then surprise ourselves about "how childish they are".

For simplicity's sake we tend to call Kimi a lifeless drunkyard, Alonso/Lewis as d#ck Dastardlys, Vettel as a mere spoilt kid and so on...we cannot accept that a guy can some day be happy, another merely grumpy. If a guy feels frustrated about something the only reason could be "because he is a sore loser". If he is happy he will be labeled as "arrogant"

Well, that's a bit too simplistic. In MSC's case, having been around for so many years and having done so much and having been exposed so much we can at least be cautios before dismissing some comment as "he is just mad because NR is kicking his a##". At least, consider some other options before analysing his personality as if he was 5 years old.

That said, I think he just does not like the current way of driving, which does not mean that this is worse than the way of driving they used to have in his old times, or that any of these are better/worse than the 50's or whatever.

If you didn't understand, I can make my next post even more confusing :D

I agree with QO and Eric. I don't think a driver or a man of Schumi's experience would be bothered by the performance of Kimi. Athletes are concerned by their own performance, especially ones who already proved themselves. Schumi's frustration for me comes from the fact he has lost points through bad luck this year; when his luck improves I think his mood will too. That's not to say that his criticisms of Pirelli aren't genuine.

Michael was never the fastest over one lap: He was the fastest over lots of laps, when he was flat out. I think it's great he still believes he could have an edge if he were able to drive in this way. The reality might be quite different.

I maintain that the current tyres favour the intelligent. For this, Michael should be grateful.

Kimi's doing OK because he sold his soul to Satan's Little Helper, Flabbio. Michael's p*ssed because he didn't think of that. He thought it'd be wise to invest in Oreos and Chicken Poo.

Yep. Makes about as much sense as this thread. No offence to the thread starter.

I

Well, I can think of one: Jacques Villeneuve. He haa the talent for it, but his days with his first manager (I don't even want to say his name) ruined everything for him. He was young and inexperienced and got scammed bad. He has two contrats on the table with at least one top team when the freak convinced him to go with BAR. The freak was hated in the paddok and this reflected on the rest of Jacques carrer, when he was not welcome anywhere.