Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manolopink

Vergne's Tyres @ Catalunya

Likewise, the same for Senna in this picture. I may be just being stupid, but where's the yellow stripe on his rear tyres?

article-0-13115D2E000005DC-51_634x317.jpg

I hadn't seen the Senna pic but it's the same as Vergne... I thought he might have rubbed tyres with someone but that seemed a long shot... I'm still amazed no commentators mentioned it ...I'm still confused!

From the rule book:

25.2 .....

c) A set of tyres will be deemed to comprise two front and two rear tyres all of which must be of the same specification.

25.3 Control of tyres :

a) The outer sidewall of all tyres which are to be used at an Event must be marked with a unique identification.

From the rule book:

25.2 .....

c) A set of tyres will be deemed to comprise two front and two rear tyres all of which must be of the same specification.

25.3 Control of tyres :

a) The outer sidewall of all tyres which are to be used at an Event must be marked with a unique identification.

Well, it's certainly unique.

:lol:

In any case, lets not forget that the stweards are a bunch of guys in front of some monitors getting little more than the feeds we get. So unless some other team spots these things as they happen and make the call, they might miss this.

However, with the images in the open and circulating around the net it might bring this to the FIA's attention and it is still not too late for them to review the race and act accordingly.

Welcome to the forum!

The Senna picture...Pirelli doesn't have a black sidewall compound. The lettering can and does wear off a tire. That's what happened.

It does not violate 25.3 (a) because the tires are marked. You can't see the mark but they are. That rule, as I read it, means that Pirelli must put a different marking on each type of tires. That is all. Remember the old tires with white lines? The white lines wore off plenty of times. I guess they were running three softs and one hard, what a strategy, those cheaters! And those tires were moving whilst contributing to the aerodynamics of the car!

I don't know what's up with Vergne, but the Senna picture, it means nothing. Markings get worn off in contact all the time in auto racing and I don't think that's how they apply 25.3 (a) (I interpret that it is enforced before the tires go on the car. Afterward, it doesn't matter; they know what tires went on and that's sufficient).

The smoke coming off Senna's rear wheels indicates that they were spinning when that photo was taken. No conspiracy here.

Actually, yellow lettering can be read while tires are spinning. That's why Goodyear switched from white to yellow lettering in NASCAR; you couldn't read Goodyear in many photographs or see it on TV. I don't know why it is but they make a huge deal about it and mention it every other second over there as NASCAR's greatest contribution to science or something. :P

But you're right, no conspiracy there, just markings that got rubbed off by contact. Everything was within the rules, and I'm assuming it's the same case for Vergne.

What a letdown. I was hoping for some conspiracy theory.

Although I'd rather see Ricciardo involved than Vergne. I like Vergne. He smiles. Quite as much as Grosjean, except Grosjean smiles about 12 kph faster (average response time for some not-funny comment, mileage might vary if, for example, Bernie makes a joke, or Tost tells that old anecdote from his youth for the upteenth time and the thugs poke them in the back to make them smile)

they asked paul hembrey why people have problems with the vergne's tyre, and he said:maybe cause it's black?

just kiddin'

I'm probably wrong, but I can't recall seeing the marking come off a tyre since Pirelli, or even Bridgestone, used the colouring on the sidewall of the tyres.

We didn't see any wheel-to-wheel contact Senna could have had that may have removed the stripe, but I guess it is a possibility.

You guys are probably right. Damn. I like conspiracies. :(

Possibility? It's a guarantee, from me, the most reliable poster on this forum. :P

There's no other way for a marking to come off that was already there then to be rubbed off. And that happens all the time when there is contact. There just isn't much non-race-ending-tire-to-something contact in F1, hence you don't see it a lot. I've seen a blank Bridgestone before, don't remember when or why.

But then I look at the picture again, closely, and I see a silver/white stripe faintly on the tire. A spinning yellow stripe still shows and can be read. A spinning silver/white one blurs. And it looks like a silver/white one spinning and blurred.

Williams cheated and burned the evidence.

Caease

What did I just type there...

yeah after my initial surprise I did figure something like tyre rubbing. It's funny that I've never noticed it before... even DiResta has a rear with no markings.

Just have to make sure I don't stare at tyre markings for all of the next race and miss the action!

...(Pirelli will have to put another guy in pit lane with some touch up paint in future!)

:lol: No worries, I've made worse mistakes when viewing an F1 race. Good to have a new member generating discussion.

laugh.png No worries, I've made worse mistakes when viewing an F1 race. Good to have a new member generating discussion.

Your new signature is brilliant! :D

I'm probably wrong, but I can't recall seeing the marking come off a tyre since Pirelli, or even Bridgestone, used the colouring on the sidewall of the tyres.

We didn't see any wheel-to-wheel contact Senna could have had that may have removed the stripe, but I guess it is a possibility.

You guys are probably right. Damn. I like conspiracies. sad.png

So you missed he and Grosjean having a little dosey-doe then? Was even that wheel vs sidepod vs wing endplate (and for those keeping score it was tyre 1, wing endplate a big fat zero)

That wasn't wheel to wheel on the basis that Grosjean damaged his front wing.

I doubt very much that'd rub the yellow markings off, but whatever.