Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Monaco

A week today it'll be the Monaco GP. Thought it'd be a good time to start a topic.

Can probably expect the normal type of thing. Safety cars, quite a lot of crash damage, a lot of blocking, lots of drivers using different helmet designs just to be annoying/confusing.

Can someone make it six different winners in six races? Hamilton will surely be the most likely candidate, but watch out for the Lotuses and Webber as well.

Interesting to know that this year there's seven previous Monaco Grand Prix winners on the grid

Oh, and then there's some big race in America on afterwards that Eric thinks we should all watch...:P

I salute all who will watch every single second of the Grand Prix de Monaco, the 96th Indianapolis 500, and the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday. I don't have the endurance for it. I only pick one, and it's the same one every year. You get a week free from my biased drivel and complete misunderstanding of everything. :)

If you need me, I'll be buried in a thread with 324 posts, 300 of which are probably mine. :lol:

Be nice to Craig, Steph, and Sean because I'm leaving you with them and my absence doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. It just means you can say whatever you want about me. :P

I hope a sixth different driver wins. Monaco can be weird enough that it might actually happen. I think we'll get a sixth team winning at some point this year (Lotus and Räikkönen), but I could see Hamilton or Webber pulling one off. They're both really good here. They're both number two drivers now, too. :P

Meanwhile, Grosjean will use this design it seems. Told you drivers would be changing designs!

389582_424145027603673_173854285966083_1487355_189082562_n.jpg

If I was a betting man, I'd actually put money on Grosjean winning. Don't ask why...

(If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise) I'll be there! Expecting and hoping for good things from Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen. Also of relevance is a certain P. Maldonado's record at Monaco.

You expecting the Red Bulls to not turn up then? :P

No, I kid. I'm envious. Enjoy every second of it.

Monaco favours two things - a guy with balls, and a car that is slightly underpowered / bit more draggy in the wind department than the others, hence Williams' best results of previous Cosworth seasons being at Monaco.

I'll be on the look out for a Hamilton, a Kimi or Alonso for the win. Or, in the slower cars, a Perez stunner for the win or Maldonado making the podium again. I think the Bulls will be up there, but it's just not seemingly their year - a 5th for them maybe?

Look...there is only one thing Vettel should ever be remembered for and that is for holding the record for shortest time elapsed before gaining a penalty; 6 seconds into his career for speeding in the pitlane at the '07 US grandprix.

:P

Monaco is a white or black race. Either a boring procession or a full of drama race. And in the second case, the most likely race to produce an unexpected winner. Considering this year's failure to produce a single expected winner, I'd said this race might be won by either Juan Valdés and his Burro or Yuri Gagarin.

@George: get drunk, get arrested, harrass the royal family, ask dumb questions about F! to all the people around you. In short, make us proud!

I say, get drunk and teach people dumb facts about F1, that will be more like you :D

Early weather predictions. Rain is possible for qualifying it seems. Sunday should be dry, but it is not completely certain.

Practice on Thursday is expected to be dry, with some sunshine during both sessions, but patches of cloud will drift over the circuit from time to time – heightening concerns for the teams as they grapple with Pirelli’s temperature sensitive tyres – while the ambient will reach 21 Celsius during the afternoon.

On Friday night a risk of rain begins to appear from the west and should last into Saturday. Wet running is anticipated as showers merge into longer spells of rain from time to time, creating a gloomy picture potentially for qualifying. With increased cloud around and little or no sunny spells, air temperature may only get up to 17 degrees.

Sunday does look somewhat drier and brighter at this stage, but as I mentioned earlier, this is very much dependant on how the low pressure evolves over western France when we get to the weekend. Showers and prolonged rainfall is expected over much of France, but the situation is on a knife-edge for any rain to extend as far as Monte Carlo, and in this set-up (much as we have typically at Monza), when rain looks set to threaten, the Alps tend to suck the energy out of the system and therefore Monaco stays dry most of the time.

A case of watching and waiting for now. Air temperature will recover to 19 or 20 degrees Celsius.

So it’s a rainy start to the week in Monaco, dry practice sessions on Thursday but a careful weather eye on Saturday, while cool temperatues are set for the weekend. I will be back on Wednesday evening with another detailed update, as preparations for round six of the championship reach a conclusion.

Early weather predictions. Rain is possible for qualifying it seems. Sunday should be dry, but it is not completely certain.

ooohhh flliippp, I can see another unexpected winner.....

Monaco is a white or black race.

So you're saying it's Hamilton against the rest?

I finally watched the Spanish GP on HD and no breaks at all. Based on that and my fortune-teller skills, the winner will be either Hamilton or Raikkonen if nothing unexpected happens.

I see both McLaren and Lotus ahead of the rest with Williams being a comfortable third. Red Bull would be the fourth competitive car but is not as good on every track. Then Ferrari that have improved forsure, Massa was always good going round and round Montmeló so it makes unclear how much Ferrari's step forward. Last but not least are Sauber.

Last race I liked Maldonado, who has a long list of stupid mistakes in the past and was even banned for life to race again in Monaco (rumours say it was Hugo Chávez himself who solved it) but he's mentally improved, it seems. He likes Monaco and will do great there.

I liked Kimi, he's doing a fantastic job at Lotus, no team Poochie no more. He deserves a win immediately. Two years outside F1 have been refreshing for him, he's as good as ever and looks determined to win the title in his return "a lo grande".

Hamilton should be leading this season but McLaren is doing everything at hand to impede it. At least they have produced a good car, although Button is struggling for some reason. Pirellis? I think Hill pronounce 'pie-rellis' and they are eatable.

As I said, I am privileged to a be guest of the Automobile Club de Monaco this year and I will be hanging with the Marshals. This will be my last Monaco though - I can't afford it anymore! I am staying with my friend Marco (a senior Marshal who talked me into volunteering back in the '70s) in Nice and I booked my flight months ago. A report from their viewpoint will appear here when I get back. It is my favourite race without a doubt and I hope you all enjoy it. Off to Nice tonight.

I liked Kimi, he's doing a fantastic job at Lotus, no team Poochie no more. He deserves a win immediately. Two years outside F1 have been refreshing for him, he's as good as ever and looks determined to win the title in his return "a lo grande".

I'd actually find it totally hilarious if Grosjean, almost the forgotten man at Lotus, got a win before mighty Kimi.

First two races aside, kid gets the job done consistently. Does it quietly, without fuss, is happy to talk to the media, never stops smiling and generally seems appreciative that he has been given a second shot in F1. Has outqualified Kimi 3-2 so far.

Nothing against Kimi at all, but I do think that Romain has been doing a superb job and not nearly getting as much recognition for it as Kimi. I have my favourites, but I also like the underdog, which is why I was happy to see Alonso get beaten by Maldonado at Spain. So come on Grosjean, win! tongue.png

I hope both you and George enjoy it fully. We expect a great report!

I had a couple of things more to say about VET and KOB but the comment posted itself, I think. I do! Briefly, the did well and they'll do well too in Monaco. Finally Webber and Button, never count them out in Monaco.

Now I'll look stupid if none of the drivers mentioned win in the Principality. I have a couple more, Pérez and Schumacher.

Nothing against Kimi at all, but I do think that Romain has been doing a superb job and not nearly getting as much recognition for it as Kimi. I have my favourites, but I also like the underdog, which is why I was happy to see Alonso get beaten by Maldonado at Spain. So come on Grosjean, win! tongue.png

I think Kimi had problems at least once in Qly so it doesn't mean a lot after just 5 races that RG leads 3-2. Both are doing very well but Kimi knows the way to win, he's been there before. Maldonado could win again but I doubt Grosjean can do it, a first win in Monaco!

BTW, I reported you for the bolded part. tongue.png

I did! yes.gif 

I think Grosjean deserves credit too, aside from early brain fades and nervousness he's done well. I think he'll give Kimi a hard time in qualifying throughout the year (Kimi isn't the best qualifier), and the races too. If Lotus are to win and Grosjean does it first I will never forgive him, though. In fact if I find him in the lead at Monaco I will throw a banana skin over the armco.

Grosjean has always been up there with Kimi, first two races notwithstanding, so the thing I'm most afraid of is exactly what James says. After all, isn't it the car nowadays the biggest factor? That "ability to win" may count for less than we think XD

Grosjean has always been up there with Kimi, first two races notwithstanding, so the thing I'm most afraid of is exactly what James says. After all, isn't it the car nowadays the biggest factor? That "ability to win" may count for less than we think XD

Monaco is fortunately a track where a driver can still make a difference, even with these unpredictable tyres. And Grosjean has'nt been "up there" with Kimi in terms of race craft. As George said Kimi is'nt the best qualifier, but have you seen or remember the qualifying of 2005, one of the best I've ever seen! Let me refresh some memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMc8qy6U1o0&feature=related

His record at his pitstops (entry and exit's) are almost unmatched, the only one who use to make it work like Kimi was Schumie during his heyday. Although the Monaco pits are shorter than the usual race it can still make a difference.

If not ahead at qualifying, what Kimi just need to do is to be faster during the race, and put pressure on the management team.biggrin.png

Kimi knows how to speed through the Principality like no one else. That I give him. Ditto for Lewis.

Kimi's main problems is already solved. Namely, Sutil's car :-p

Monaco is anyones race and I suspect young guns with good car will try to pull one off (Maldonado, Perez, Grosjean for example) and emerge from the crowd of new young talents. Of course, they can also crash trying too hard, and I'm sure it will happen to one or a few or them. My gut choice for a podium : Maldonado. For the win : Hamilton or Kimi.