Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

All Aboot The Canadian Grand Prix, Okay

Too bad if that's true.

Team Poochie have the car and drivers for a very good result. No team can afford a primma donna attitude this season, that's the problem.

At the same time, a good steering system is a must have for any top team-driver. They started with those problems months ago. Time to tick the box solved.

Shut up and drive fo KR and shut up and develop the steering system for the engineers.

Good prospects for Canada.

Radio interview:

Question: The two titles of RedBull are more work of Newey that of Vettel?

Answer: Yes.

:rolleyes:

You're just sad your two guys got beat. tongue.png

DRS was too obvious of an advantage given the zone. I'd rather it start later and force them to overtake in the final corners. That would be dicey and awesome...

...but I still consider it a classic, personally. Last-lap pass for the win, and that didn't have any DRS at all. It was dramatic, it was fun, and, hey, regulations are what they are. Where do you draw the line with "easy" overtakes? Is it easy when the guy has a more powerful engine and blows by? Is it easy when the track is designed explicitly for overtaking? Is it easy if the other guy goes off track and you pounce? I've always been of the opinion that there's nothing easy about anything when you're driving a racecar. Even though I'd like to see the DRS zone start later here, at the end of the day, those guys were carrying an a**load of speed into a really tricky corner and that takes extreme bravery. And I think bravery is cool stuff.

I see what you mean, but say - it is a hypothetical situation I know, say Button had passed Vettel on the last lap using DRS? Or if Vettel had stayed within 1 second and got DRS and passed Button? I'm not sure whether that'd be a very popular ending.

People making mistakes/engine/tyre/whatever advantages are fine. That is racing. That has been happening since the very first car race.

Just saying that there had been enough overtaking in that race up till that point that it was fine as it was. If it had been a boring race up to that point, fair enough for trying to spice it up. But people were quite easily defending and overtaking, and then people couldn't defend suddenly. It was a bit fake. But it was to be expected with the first year of DRS, some races DRS wasn't powerful enough, other races it was too powerful, others it was fine. Hopefully they've learnt from that for this year.

I say put the DRS detection just before the chicane, then activation on the main straight. Should be long enough to allow cars to overtake or at least get close enough to have a go and not so long that cars can just breeze by others with no effort on the back straight.

At the end of the day, I don't like DRS that much, but I can't complain about it. The driver still has to make the move and to me that's a better way to "improve the show" (or "make the show less intelligent," whichever) than what you see in American racing where NASCAR "improves the show" with fake debris cautions and green-white-checkered restarts, and IndyCar "improves the show" by holding a yellow for extra laps after cleanup so it will be a shootout rather than a fuel conservation run, and ALMS "improves the show" by changing the Balance of Power on a weekly basis...

It's just the kind of thing you have to put up with. Racing's entertainment and an F1 forum gives you a sample of people who were already entertained. But I'm sure DRS appeals to a lot of people outside of our little bubble; a lot of people probably don't even understand what DRS is and just see the passes and say "cool."

The fans walk around the track had to be suspended due to the recent protests.

Canada, the powder keg of the world?

This whole "this season is a lottery" should stop! :P

What's next? Valencia being the most awesome race ever? Bernie makes it to the centerfold of the next Swimsuit issue? Eddie Jordan becomes likeable?

Related to that, this is the disgusting poster student "protesters" are using.

img_984.jpg?w=500

Such a distasteful image to use, and it isn't even related to Formula One. Any scrap of respect I did have for these idiots and their pathetic protest has gone. Alex Zanardi p**ses over people like that.

Oh, and apparently the internet tough guys "Anonymous" are back. Read that they've hacked to access details of ticket holders for the Grand Prix. They're so tough, yet they choose to target F1 ticket holders over the Government in charge. Makes perfect sense...

Sounds like they may target F1 sites again. If TF1 goes down this weekend you know why.

Sparknotes: The internet is full of d*cks. tongue.png

Not going to make it political but if you want to know what I will never sympathize with it's first-world class warfare and student protests. I can't start because I'll have to ban myself for the things I'm think about this stuff. I don't care if they're disrupting a race or traffic or some guy getting into a McDonald's or nothing at all, they're all grouped together for me and you don't want to know what I have to say about that because I'm just going to be downright nasty and offensive.

So the race...

One of my all-time favorite races at Montréal:

http://tinyurl.com/7a9of49 (YouTube)

:P

The fans walk around the track had to be suspended due to the recent protests.

Just so you know, the student never threatened to disturb the GP. The problem here is that we have an extremely week and corrupted governement who tries demonise the students, who are totally pacific. In fact I'm so p**sed off by the cancellation of these prerace day by the governement (make no mistake, the cancellation is an gouverment initiative), that I won't go the the GP and sell my tickets.

Just so you know, the student never threatened to disturb the GP. The problem here is that we have an extremely week and corrupted governement who tries demonise the students, who are totally pacific. In fact I'm so p**sed off by the cancellation of these prerace day by the governement (make no mistake, the cancellation is an gouverment initiative), that I won't go the the GP and sell my tickets.

Just so you know, I do believe you :P I have no idea about the Government, but I did not believe for a single minute that the cancellation was actually because students were such a threat to the GP.

On the other hand, if the cause is strong enough, then be my guest and burn down the whole track (and FYI, Montreal is my favorite track of them all) F1 is a passion for me, but it is just an entertainment.

I wasn't planning to reply to Eric's post but I STRONGLY disagree about his position on first world protests. I just didn't wanted to get into a political discussion. And here should be a bunch of mumblings and rantings and ravings that would have me banned along with Eric :D

I wasn't planning to reply to Eric's post but I STRONGLY disagree about his position on first world protests. I just didn't wanted to get into a political discussion. And here should be a bunch of mumblings and rantings and ravings that would have me banned along with Eric biggrin.png

And you are right! The less politic the better. I've seen things turn bad in other F1 sites.

Yeah, I don't want political discussion, either...

...but that's only because my views are never popular here. :P

Just read the DRS article James posted. I think they've done the right thing for this year.

img_984.jpg?w=500

Such a distasteful image to use, and it isn't even related to Formula One. Any scrap of respect I did have for these idiots and their pathetic protest has gone. Alex Zanardi p**ses over people like that.

Oh, and apparently the internet tough guys "Anonymous" are back. Read that they've hacked to access details of ticket holders for the Grand Prix. They're so tough, yet they choose to target F1 ticket holders over the Government in charge. Makes perfect sense...

Sounds like they may target F1 sites again. If TF1 goes down this weekend you know why.

I do beleive it has more vajayjay's.....

img_984.jpg?w=500

Such a distasteful image to use, and it isn't even related to Formula One. Any scrap of respect I did have for these idiots and their pathetic protest has gone.

If you spoke French and could read what it says under the picture, you'd see that this is not about F1 at all. If we were in a political forum, I'd ask you what you find pathetic about their protest, but since we are not, never mind.

We sit on the verge of Round 7 and the season makes its first trip to North America for the popular Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. As many recall, last year's race was one of the most dramatic of the year, with Jenson Button stealing a win from Sebastian Vettel after a rare leading-the-field mistake very late.

This year could prove to be even more dramatic; it stands entirely possible we could see an unprecedented 7th winner in as many races. Lewis Hamilton stands out the most as a non-winner, and Lotus continues to nip at the heels of victory. Meanwhile, Mercedes has shown decent pace almost every race, but reliability, clean pit stops and error-free mistakes will be necessary, especially for Michael Schumacher.

A few thoughts and questions as we head into the weekend:

1. Red Bull should not be considered a favorite

Though leading the Constructors Standings and despite being the only team to have both drivers with a victory, the FIA recently ruled that their car's floor is illegal and had to be changed. The good news for the team is that their victories will not be negated and be allowed to stand.

The bad news is that this will surely set the team back as they scramble to comply with the ruling prior to Montreal, coupled with the fact the Red Bull is not the fastest car on the straights -- a key factor for the very fast Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Qualifying, as usual, will be critical.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Is this a make or break race for McLaren's season?

Probably not. But one has to wonder if the UK team has what it takes to climb back after a strong start that has quietly faded into near desperation. Lewis Hamilton has yet to win a race, and Jenson Button suddenly seems unable to find the car's pace.

Meanwhile, several teams continue to improve and even previous mid-tier cars like Sauber and Williams have a chance to keep chipping away at McLaren's hopes. Both Button AND Hamilton needs strong results, otherwise the scrutiny will continue to mount, not helped by swirling rumors that Hamilton intends to leave McLaren at season's end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. If Michael Schumacher were going to win, this would be the time

Schumacher has won in Montreal seven times over this long and storied career, but not since 2004 with Ferrari. He has shown great promise through qualifying and strong race starts, but luck has not been on his side and he has virtually nothing to show for it.

However, both he and Nico Rosberg have a chance to take advantage of Mercedes' fast chassis and if Mercedes wants to be considered a Constructors title threat, they have to take advantage of the circuit and leave with some points. Time is running out for Michael.

4. Will weather continue to be a factor for the Lotus E20 pace?

Lotus has been quite the Jekyll and Hyde through six rounds. It's not just the fact that Romain Grojean has only finished 3/6 races (though granted, his pace is excellent when he is able to finish), but also the curious problem with the car's pace being sensitive to weather. It tends to perform well in warmer weather, but struggle when cooler. Team boss Eric Boullierhas openly admitted his concerns over this, specifically when it comes to tires.

Kimi Raikkonen is also seeking his first season win of the season, but again, much could rest in the hands of track and weather conditions and what the team has been able to do since Monaco.

Note: As of this post, there is a reported 20% chance of rain on race day.

5. Given Felipe Massa's strong Monaco result, is it too late to salvage his 2013 seat with Ferrari?

Felipe mustered his best result of the season so far, finishing 6th at Monaco. It would be folly to rest too much hope on that result alone given the nature of Monaco. But moving forward, is it too late to stay Ferrari's hand for his replacement? While there is a small hope for Massa to keep his ride, it would take an extraordinary turnaround to see to it.

Teammate Fernando Alonso continues to exceed expectations and thanks to a podium in Monte Carlo, he currently leads the Drivers Standings. That's a big shadow for Felipe by itself, coupled with his marginal results since his 2009 accident at Hungary.

Monaco's result may ease symptoms, but the cause still remains until proven otherwise.

6. Who will win?

As it's been true for the entire 2012 season, it's anybody's guess. However, the unbiased fan in me hopes it is in fact a 7th winner, just to keep the guessing game lively. All eyes on Hamilton, Schumacher and Raikkonen.

Odds & Ends

• Pastor Maldonado looks to bounce back after a horrific weekend in Monaco, while Bruno Senna hopes to build on his 10th place finish. This will be Pastor's second career F1 race at Montreal, with 2011 resulting in a DNF.
  • Only 3 points separate Williams and Sauber in the Constructor Standings, competing for the 6th spot. It will be interesting to see if either team can get the measure of the other in Montreal.
  • I'm curious to see if there is any ground gained for Force India, Toro Rosso, Caterham and Marussia. Caterham and Marussia both had their best results of the year at Monaco, but again, we'll need more evidence of improvement to feel confidence.

Hamilton or Kimi would make nice 7th winners of the season.

I don't understand why Lotus and Kimi still suffer from such a basic but vital issue as not getting the steering right...

Hamilton or Kimi would make nice 7th winners of the season.

I don't understand why Lotus and Kimi still suffer from such a basic but vital issue as not getting the steering right...

You try to make a steering right for a drunk man and then we talk.

This guy is actually talking alot of sense, if what he posted is his own...

Thanks man. And sorry I didn't clarify, yes, the write-up is mine.

img_984.jpg?w=500

Seems to me they are complaining about tuition fees and using the GP as a platform to deliver their message from. I could be wrong.....

If you spoke French and could read what it says under the picture, you'd see that this is not about F1 at all. If we were in a political forum, I'd ask you what you find pathetic about their protest, but since we are not, never mind.

I don't speak French, and neither do many others here, and we talked and talked and talked about Bahrain's problems, so why not Canada's too? Please translate, and tell us the countries woes. I'm serious. Just because we are an F1 forum doesn't mean we can't talk politics...it's not like Bernie has never used politics or politicians before to feather his nest, so the two are not mutually exclusive or anything.

Seems to me they are complaining about tuition fees and using the GP as a platform to deliver their message from. I could be wrong.....

That's whats been reported here in Kiwiland, Sean...the bit about you being wrong the bit about the students.

Yep indeed. Those despicable F1 fans going to help the economy and tourism by spending money at one of the highest attended races on the calendar! :P

I don't think they're telling people to not go to the Grand Prix. They're playing on the term "grand prix" and the text to my limited knowledge is about a demonstration against high tuition fees. They aren't saying "cancel the race" or "don't attend the race" as much as using a racing image and the words "grand prix" to attract the attention of a lot of people in the city who are obviously thinking about the race this week. The Bahrain protests did eventually become a protest of the actual race, but this doesn't seem to be one (though I don't really know and I'm sure someone knows more). It's just using the race (something on a lot of people's minds) to get something else on their minds. It's like women in beer ads or anything like that. The only thing targetting F1 and the race, as far as I know, is the Anonymous stuff they're planning, and Anonymous is independent of the protests (I think).

See? I can be fair. Sometimes. :P

Yes you are wrong, but I have to admit the picture they have chosen is not the best choice because for any non French speaking person it is confusing, and since it is the week of the international GP...

Now, back to Canadian GP, I don't see who can stop Alonso, with the Ferraris improving sensibly fro on GP to the other. Remember that overly anxious drivers (like the younsters) often make mistakes in the Senna S, and this year, with an extremely tight group, be ready to see some bumbing in there. Experience will be a big factor IMHO. So, if not FA, may be KR. Hamilton and JD do not have the best car and should not be in the race for the win.

Yes you are wrong, but I have to admit the picture they have chosen is not the best choice because for any non French speaking person it is confusing, and since it is the week of the international GP...

So whats it all about then? Enlighten us heathens....I mean, we're all world experts on F1 (you can tell that by how much crap we talk about it), but as far as most of us are concerned Canada is just a place with really good mountainbike trails on BC's North Shore....oh and the police wear red.