Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

2013 Grid

Apparently Lotus and Kimi have signed the deal for next year, at least if I interpret this video correctly. Not a big surprise there.

Edit: Have to wonder why they didn't confirm Grosjean at the same time. Are they still testing him for the rest of the season to see that he has matured past his rookie mistakes?

Yep, no surprises. As for Grosjean, they probably just wanted to do a Kimi specific video because he's such a popular driver, but they should sign Romain up. After all, it's clear that he has plenty of speed and the capacity to actually negotiate the first corner when he engages his grey matter. In fact, it's not impossible there is some relationship between the shortness of his first stint in F1 and his mistakes this year; he probably feels a lot of pressure to not waste this second opportunity, and psychologically that means he's in a perfect position to waste this second opportunity. Better he feels safe and secure in the team and doesn't think about the starts at all.

[quote name='Rainmaster' timestamp='1351601839' post='350756']
Yep, no surprises. As for Grosjean, they probably just wanted to do a Kimi specific video because he's such a popular driver, but they should sign Romain up. After all, it's clear that he has plenty of speed and the capacity to actually negotiate the first corner when he engages his grey matter. In fact, it's not impossible there is some relationship between the shortness of his first stint in F1 and his mistakes this year; he probably feels a lot of pressure to not waste this second opportunity, and psychologically that means he's in a perfect position to waste this second opportunity. Better he feels safe and secure in the team and doesn't think about the starts at all.
[/quote]
Yup, once past the first corner he is one of the best 'rookies' out there.

He was remarkably good at India. (So did Senna, btw...Williams has a problem there: two excellent half-drivers. One has the balls, the other the brain and none of them is complete enough to make for a decent, consistent run through a championship)

I think Bottas/Williams is about to happen very soon.

Kovalainen, Pic, van der Garde, Kobayashi, Senna, and a few others are still in play for the remaining seats. Alguersuari's now linked to DTM (as is Sutil), while Bianchi may get the Force India promotion after all.

I do wonder if Sauber would look at Senna, given his funding (which includes Embratel, part of Sauber sponsor Telmex). I assume they'll go with Frijns or Gutiérrez, though.

Knowing sh!t about any of them, and caring even less about their glories earned at lower categories, I must say that I like Frijns spirit. Being part of the RBR program yet saying "I would never drive for them, they treat drivers like dogs".

:lol:

Wow! That's one to look out for (currently recruiting: substitute for Kimi worth of future blind worship).

Magnussen and Valsecchi also seem to have acquitted themselves well, even if I couldn't care less about their previous achievements. At least now I will remember their names ;)

I like Frijns because he wrecked Bianchi to win the title.

(Okay, fine, he really didn't. Bianchi made a great overtake, Frijns tried to come back, and racing happened...that happens when two title contenders are hounding each other for the trophy...get it...hounding...dogs...treated like dogs...)

Ah, well, it was probably a more interesting group than past years, even if Paffett and Turvey continue to waste our time (get it...our...Our Gary and Our Oliver...hahahaha woof....woof...get it...dogs...okay...)

I like Frijns because he wrecked Bianchi to win the title.

(Okay, fine, he really didn't. Bianchi made a great overtake, Frijns tried to come back, and racing happened...that happens when two title contenders are hounding each other for the trophy...get it...hounding...dogs...treated like dogs...)

Ah, well, it was probably a more interesting group than past years, even if Paffett and Turvey continue to waste our time (get it...our...Our Gary and Our Oliver...hahahaha woof....woof...get it...dogs...okay...)

Oh, I saw the move, I just didn't realize that was Frijns. Very...Schumacheresque, n'est ce pas? :P

Dirty cheater :P

I'd honestly rather see Bianchi at Force India than Alguersuari/Sutil/Buemi.

I'd rather see Frijns at Sauber than Gutierrez because Gutierrez has had a ruff (couldn't resist) year in GP2 this year. But he'll probably still get the driver thanks to Telmex.

I read somewhere that Sauber have signed Frijns on a long term deal. What that is I have absolutely no idea, but I presume it'll mean he is a third driver next year and get some Friday outings and hopefully get promoted to a race seat in 2014.

Da Costa's a good bet at STR for '14 as well if he can keep up the good form he's shown this year going through to next year. I found it interesting Ricciardo and Vergne have been told they have a genuine shot at a promotion to Red Bull, which is something I can't recall Alguersuari and Buemi being told. I guess if either Ricciardo or Vergne prove good enough next year and Webber retires/Vettel moves to Ferrari, one or both will get promoted, making room for Da Costa at Toro Rosso.

A lot of "ifs" and "buts", but makes sense in my mind.

Last rumour today: Alguersuari will drive for FI in 2013.

It would be surprising as both NH and PdR are doing fine.

Well, Hülkenberg is already confirmed at Sauber, so they do need someone.

Sounds like Gutiérrez will join Hülkenberg there, too.

Red Bull

Vettel

Webber

Ferrari

Alonso

Massa

McLaren

Button

Pérez

Lotus

Räikkönen

Grosjean

Mercedes

Hamilton

Rosberg

Sauber

Hülkenberg

Gutiérrez

Force India

di Resta

Bianchi/Alguersuari

Williams

Maldonado

Bottas

Toro Rosso

Vergne

Ricciardo

Marussia

Glock

Chilton

Caterham

Petrov

Pic/van der Garde

Kovalainen goes rallying. Kobayashi might get some work in a Toyota LMP1.

What about Senna?

What about him?

Pic has been officially confirmed at Caterham now. Can't understand it personally. Caterham are behind Marussia in the championship at the moment, and it is hardly a big step forwards career wise is it?

Unless he knew he was out and did better than di Grassi and d'Ambrosio did by finding another team...

I've seen Senna's name among Force India candidates, but it didn't seem as strong as prevailing Bianchi or Alguersuari rumors. You are correct, though, that I completely forgot about mentioning Senna at the bottom there.

As for Pic, he either sees more potential in Caterham improving (go where the puck is going to be, not where it is...) or Marussia got rid of him. I have to say he hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I expected him to be.

Well that means that Caterham will run petrov and pic interesting. so where does that leave Hekki? He is one of the best drivers (if not the best) in the "new" teams. I would be suprised if he is left standing when all the seats are filled he is def worth a shot by a midfield team!

Can someone confirm who is confirmed for 2013 at which team.

I know the obvious ones

These are how i think it is feel free to correct/add:

Red Bull

Webber

Vettel

Mclaren

Button

Perez

Farrari

Alonso

Massa

Mercedes

Hammilton

Rosberg

Lotus

Kimi

Fatjohn (grosjean(not sure he is confirmed but think he will stay))

Sauber

Gutierrez

Hulkenberg

Force India

Di Resta?

???

Williams

Dont know if anyone is confirmed but likely pasta.

Torro Rosso

Vergne

RIccardo

(i believe that they are staying?!)

Marussia

Glock

Someone who will be rubbish prob

Caterham

Pic

Petrov (likely)

HRT

De La Rosa - hope not

Kartykane - hope not

(both useless)

What about him?

Pic has been officially confirmed at Caterham now. Can't understand it personally. Caterham are behind Marussia in the championship at the moment, and it is hardly a big step forwards career wise is it?

Unless he knew he was out and did better than di Grassi and d'Ambrosio did by finding another team...

Of course it is. You get your backside in a seat, and you get out on the track - that is the utmost best step forwards in your career...none of this sitting around, the occasional Friday (dirty track) running, and driving the simulator.

Bob Varsha on Twitter says that Max Chilton is confirmed for Marussia in 2013. He also suggests "Senna, Sutil, Bianchi, Kovalainen, Alguersuari, Petrov" as Force India candidates. Whether that's accurate or not, I don't know, but I'm a Varsha fanboy so I'm going to make sure you know every last word he says on his final weekend as our F1 broadcaster. ;)

I've heard strong sounds that petrov will be getting the other caterham drive and that hekki was dependent on them beating marussia to 10th so they could afford him! I think that Hekki is good enough to fight in the midfield but this maybe his last chance to do something/ win again!

Of course it is. You get your backside in a seat, and you get out on the track - that is the utmost best step forwards in your career...none of this sitting around, the occasional Friday (dirty track) running, and driving the simulator.

There's very little performance difference though, is there? Surely better the devil you know, particularly when Caterham and Marussia are so evenly matched, and Marussia is actually AHEAD of Caterham in the championship this year.

Say the same thing about Hulkenberg's move to Sauber. Can't really see the point in it - Force India and Sauber are too close performance wise to really view it as a "step up", more a "step sideways."

I think the drivers look to see which they think they can win (for hulk) or do better (pic). I agree that Pic may not have really made a step forward particuarly as it looks like marussia will get the 10th spot and therefore more money and could make a bigger step next year, although caterham should have done that this year.

I think for Hulk it is a lil different as sauber could win next year or atleast get him up closer to a championship seat for 2014/15.

You go where you're wanted.

Pic lost his ride to Max Chilton, who brought more money than Pic does. So Pic brought more money than Kovalainen does. He didn't have an option to race for Marussia, and teams like Sauber and Force India passed on his offers to join them. What else is there to do? He's Charles Pic; he's not going to McLaren just yet.

Nico Hülkenberg, as Peeweev suggests, may have more opportunity at Sauber. It's a better team than Force India on maximum potential, because they can get on the podium whereas Force India cannot, and both Kingfisher and Sahara aren't exactly without problems outside of F1. On top of that, Force India is connected to Mercedes, and I think Hülkenberg took the hint that with the Hamilton signing, and with di Resta still being their guy, he just wasn't going to have a chance to be promoted there. After McLaren chose Pérez, I think Hülkenberg's plan was to go to Sauber, get closer to Ferrari (where he was linked), and hope that Vettel stays at Red Bull so he can get Massa's seat. Sauber's been a good place to be if you want to be promoted to a better team because they're just good enough that you get results, but just small enough that those results look really impressive and the poor ones are excused. It's a dream for a young driver to start there because you can almost never look bad as a young guy in a Sauber.

Pretty much nailed it again. Although, you can very easily look bad as a young guy at Sauber. But it's true that it's the best team for young drivers, which is just as well as it's also one of the best teams at evaluating and signing talented young drivers.

To understand driver decisions you always have to look deeper than just the surface, e.g. championship position. I think Hulk's move ultimately makes sense from the perspectives Eric mentioned. Also, NK may just feel he'll have more support at Sauber with an incoming team mate (becoming effective team leader), and maybe realises it'll be easier to differentiate himself at Sauber with its arguably better potential, and with a different team mate (di Resta and Hulk currently perhaps suffering from the problem of both being quite capable drivers, but neither standing out because they're so equally matched).

Bottas confirmed at Williams as expected. Senna could go to Caterham I'm hearing.

Interesting rumours too linking Kovalainen to Lotus for an all Finnish driver line-up.