Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

2013 Grid

Interesting rumours too linking Kovalainen to Lotus for an all Finnish driver line-up.

Doubt it's gonna happen. I think it's still most likely that Grosjean will continue, and if they decide to drop him, there is also Kobayashi, who would bring enough speed (the racing kind tongue.png), some money and lots of interest from Japan.

From Heikki's interview with the BBC at the weekend, where he seemed pretty downbeat and p**sed off, I think at least at that point he certainly hadn't had any contact with Lotus. It's a shame to see a GP winner with still something to offer leave the grid.

I've probably said it before, but Bottas interests me as the first in a sample that may never grow of drivers who bypassed GP2 and took the Friday driving route. It will be hard to make any kind of generalization on one driver, obviously. Nevertheless, I still want to see how it pans out because you hear a lot on the side of "well you need to be racing every weekend, you won't learn anything if you aren't racing" and a lot on the side of "F1 cars are so specialized, you need to be in an F1 car." They're probably both correct to some degree.

Kind of reminds me in a small way of how Raikkonen bypassed pretty much every single junior formula category and got an F1 ride straight out of Formula Renault.

Apparently Kobayashi may be a contender for the Lotus seat. Japanese fans have already raised over 1 million USD to help him find a drive.

Rumours today, Alguersuari very unlikely in F1 next season. Truth is he won't have a seat in F1 ever again.

Kind of reminds me in a small way of how Raikkonen bypassed pretty much every single junior formula category and got an F1 ride straight out of Formula Renault.

Exactly. Interest doubled :D

See, Eric, you have 2 people for your studies now XD

I think the most important thing is to love racing. The guys that make the biggest impression on fans are pure racers (like Kubica) that stop at nothing. I was just taking a look at Autosport's article about Zanardi. Whatever happens you still want to race, that's it. Doesn't matter if you've never been in an F1 car, if you're excited and love racing it will work out somehow. And what the heck, Bottas has been in an F1 car for this whole year, I don't think anyone doubts his abilities to drive around a circuit. And it gets better when the team let you compete!

Just adding my name to the Bottas fan club. Could replace Perez as my favourite up and coming driver. Frank Williams seems to think he's one of the most talented drivers he's had in his cars - high praise indeed. Look forward to seeing how he goes.

I think Hulkenberg will be the next big thing. Very soon I expect. A pitty he made that mistake in Brazil.

I like Hulk, too. I rated him really highly before he came into F1 and I think he's a good guy. It's just a shame his best performances only seem to come at one track, albeit a great track. But no, he did perform really well at the end of this season when the Force India improved a bit, and seemed to get the measure of Di Resta. He was the star of the Brazilian GP, it's just unlucky for him that it was the championship decider; probably people won't remember that he led more laps than anybody else.

Just adding my name to the Bottas fan club. Could replace Perez as my favourite up and coming driver. Frank Williams seems to think he's one of the most talented drivers he's had in his cars - high praise indeed. Look forward to seeing how he goes.

Williams seem to be having a bit of a competition with Sauber at the moment to see who can sign the most promising youngster. I'm not convinced on Gutierrez yet (even he says he's not sure if he's ready for F1...) so would have loved Sauber to have taken a punt on Frijns instead. Apparently Peter favoured him...but some rich Mexican guy wanted his guy there apparently... :P

Still, at least he is the team's reserve, which is better than nothing I suppose.

On Bottas - I remember Williams were very high with their praise of Hulkenberg, before they had to let him go through lack of funds. Hope something similar doesn't happen to Bottas.

Not sure what would really underwhelm me more, Alguersuari or Sutil at Force India. Combined with di Resta, either of those two would complete the biggest "meh" line up on the grid in my opinion. Not saying neither deserve a second chance, just that both don't particularly excite me and I'd still rather see Bianchi there.

Someone may know better, but here's how I see we're at with the few remaining seats, including all the rumours that seem to be out there at the moment.

Lotus

Grosjean/Kovalainen/Kobayashi

Force India

Sutil/Alguersuari/Bianchi/Senna/Petrov

Caterham

Van Der Garde/Senna/Petrov

Marussia

Chilton

HRT (if they even still exist...)

Somebody with lots of money, presumably.

HRT (if they even still exist...)

Somebody with lots of money, presumably.

AFAIK HRT management do not want to stay in F1. They rejected any help to find funds and sponsorship to run the team next season. I heard they just want to sell the team ASAP for 12 M€.

I like Hulk, too. I rated him really highly before he came into F1 and I think he's a good guy. It's just a shame his best performances only seem to come at one track, albeit a great track. But no, he did perform really well at the end of this season when the Force India improved a bit, and seemed to get the measure of Di Resta. He was the star of the Brazilian GP, it's just unlucky for him that it was the championship decider; probably people won't remember that he led more laps than anybody else.

I'm very impressed with the hulk, hopefully the Sauber is a good enough car and he can get his first win. I would have chosen him instead of Perez, I really think Mclaren was too hasty in their driver decision. Hopefully we'll see him there soon....

Why were there no 'Incredible Hulk' headlines in the press after the Brazillian Grand Prix?

I might get a banner made, or doctor something existing.

That is all.

Why were there no 'Incredible Hulk' headlines in the press after the Brazillian Grand Prix?

Because he took out Lewis Hamilton.

Isn't it obvious?

:P

Apparently Kobayashi may be a contender for the Lotus seat. Japanese fans have already raised over 1 million USD to help him find a drive.

I don't like to tell others how to spend their money, but I certainly can't understand why anyone would just donate money to an F1 driver to get a ride. Oh well, good for him if he gets a seat. I think Grosjean's quicker and has more potential.

I think Hulkenberg will be the next big thing. Very soon I expect. A pitty he made that mistake in Brazil.

Hülkenberg's always been exceptional in the wet. A1GP was a terrible series, but I do remember watching a wet race in Malaysia which he just dominated. Obviously, his runs in variable conditions at Interlagos highlight that ability. He was stellar until he went onto the dark line there. Great that he tried, but perhaps he should have been a little patient for his own sake. As a fan, I love that he went for it, though. Take the flags away, and we'd hear a lot more about Hülkenberg than di Resta, who benefits greatly from having Sir Jackie Stewart as his mouthpiece. On the flipside, take the flags away, and I'd probably rate di Resta more than I do...I just assume all the Brits have their horns tooted too much and can't be any good. Same with the U.S. Americans in the ladder; you finish eighth in a GP3 race as a U.S. American and you're linked to Ferrari in the media...

Williams seem to be having a bit of a competition with Sauber at the moment to see who can sign the most promising youngster. I'm not convinced on Gutierrez yet (even he says he's not sure if he's ready for F1...) so would have loved Sauber to have taken a punt on Frijns instead. Apparently Peter favoured him...but some rich Mexican guy wanted his guy there apparently... tongue.png

Ah, yeah, ride-buyers...a problem so common today it's less common than it used to be. :P

Given the strange financial structure of Grand Prix racing, in which all but the top half-dozen drivers buy their rides from constructors and then must scramble for sponsors or backers or turn to their own bankroll to defray the $100,000 or so yearly tab, Posey could probably be a Grand Prix regular today.

From November 1971: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085474/1/index.htm

$100,000 then is about $547,682 now, by the way, so certainly it's more expensive...but there's also more money in it...

...and I'd still hire Frijns, too.

I don't like to tell others how to spend their money, but I certainly can't understand why anyone would just donate money to an F1 driver to get a ride. Oh well, good for him if he gets a seat. I think Grosjean's quicker and has more potential.

I don't really understand it either, although I guess it's only the same as spending money on anything that will ultimately make your life slightly happier, like an iPod, for example tongue.png The strange thing is why anyone would like him that much, since he isn't particularly impressive compared to other drivers (like Grosjean as you say). Nationalities...

Hülkenberg's always been exceptional in the wet. A1GP was a terrible series, but I do remember watching a wet race in Malaysia which he just dominated. Obviously, his runs in variable conditions at Interlagos highlight that ability. He was stellar until he went onto the dark line there. Great that he tried, but perhaps he should have been a little patient for his own sake. As a fan, I love that he went for it, though. Take the flags away, and we'd hear a lot more about Hülkenberg than di Resta, who benefits greatly from having Sir Jackie Stewart as his mouthpiece. On the flipside, take the flags away, and I'd probably rate di Resta more than I do...I just assume all the Brits have their horns tooted too much and can't be any good. Same with the U.S. Americans in the ladder; you finish eighth in a GP3 race as a U.S. American and you're linked to Ferrari in the media...

I don't think nationality ultimately makes an actual difference in of itself, to how much the paddock rates a driver. Maybe some elements of the British media will push for Di Resta, but that's not going to get him a seat, and isn't a good reason to dislike the guy, or to rate him or not rate him. Nationality is sometimes quite unhelpful too, Mclaren were reported to have said when they signed Perez (instead of Di Resta who has links with them) that they didn't want another all British line up as it limits their reach. Obviously, that won't have been the main reason, but it is still something that complicates the idea that a certain nationality is always a positive.

I didn't mean that I thought di Resta's career would advance because of his nationality, just that I think we hear a ton about him without much to back it up. I also wonder if he's linked to rides in the media when he isn't even in talks there.

Not like it's a bad thing. I'd end up disliking Hülkenberg or Bottas or Frijns or whoever else if they were getting the attention, so I guess it's better it goes to someone I don't really expect to be a top driver.