Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AleHop

Valencia, Es La Tierra De Las Flores...

Funny - only watched the live timing, but I'm even looking forward to watching the race tomorrow - a rarity for Valencia.

Incredibly exciting Valencia GP. Who'd have known?

Alonso deserves DOD (yeah I still hate him) for driving the life out of the car.

Webber quietly slots into 2nd place in the WDC standings. Wouldn't mind him winning the WDC.

Bad day for Lewis, Grosjean & Vettel. Lewis's tires were gone, should have settled for damage limitation.

Of course, Schumi provided the maximum joy! Sure he'd a large slice of luck, but so did Alonso. Doesn't matter, finished on podium. Hopefully, Schumi will get a few more podiums before bowing out at the end of the year.

Button continues to struggle. He won't win the WDC this year, that's for sure.

Koba could have done well, but for the tangle. Good show by Hulk.

Dan said Schumi under investigation for using DRS under yellow flags & may have podium taken away. I don't know how much more cruel luck that guy can bear.

I have to say, the incident between Lewis and Maldonado shows the difference between old school drivers and newer drivers (like Pastor). A lap earlier, Kimi had a chance to overtake Lewis in exactly the same place as Pastor did a lap later, but instead of forcing himself to overtake and risking the race, he gave Lewis room at that point, only to overtake him a couple of corners later in a clean way. In other words, he respected his fellow competitor. Pastor had no respect for Lewis, came from outside the track to punch Lewis and ended both their races. I understand now what Alonso meant when he welcomed Kimi back saying "it's always a pleasure to fight him since he does it in a respectful way."

DoD has to be Alonso, magnificent drive!

What a race.. pity about Vettel's retirement.

Jay, happy day for you!!!

I'm not so sure now. Schumi under investigation for using DRS under yellow flags, may lose podium.

From BBC:

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn has confirmed that he informed Michael Schumacher that he couldn't use his DRS while the yellow flags were out. Brawn also personally double-checked the data and Schumacher stopped using is 30m before the yellow flag zone so he's confident there won't be a penalty.

Wow, what a race. Easily best race there's ever been at Valencia, and a nice sign off if that's the last time they race there.

Disappointed for Vettel and Grosjean. Happy for Alonso and Schumacher!

valencia is normally quite tame i feel but this was really enjoyable. i get the sense alonso is like a rabbid dog on a leash.....ferrari release him and say "go catch the others" and the hunt begins!

I think this is the first time I haven't slept through the Valencia race, and I'm quite happy :D

Alonso was spectacular, Kimi did a solid race and got a podium without looking asleep and Schumi came out of nowhere to claim third ^^ It's a pity about Grosjean I guess, but hopefully it won't happen again. I won't say the same about Vettel because it probably won't happen again, so... a breather from having him win all and everything :P

I was surprised by the amount of overtakes, not all making use of DRS. The first laps were good stuff, and Schumi on softs was unstoppable in the end.

During the first part of the race, I was thinking: why do people hate this place so much? The track layout, I think, is very, very cool. It's a unique challenge, beautiful surroundings...I'd love to see it on the future calendar. Best track for overtaking? No. But the DRS zone isn't a free pass and it's very technical. It's like a Monaco designed for modern cars. And it's the only race I have seen all year, any series, any country, that actually had people in the grandstands! Looked damn well-attended here and I know Silverstone will be and Austin's sold out non-PSL seating and adding more seats, but really, I haven't seen a capacity crowd at many races in ages.

But no, let's just cancel a great event because they don't overtake enough...and of course if they did, they'd overtake too much and be cheapening overtaking as an art or whatever. :rolleyes:

After that, Vettel retired and it looked like it was going to be a great battle between Alonso and Grosjean, but Grosjean didn't have enough for Alonso and then the car just went anyway. And that was that.

Some good moments, some great drives, some really dumb stuff, too, and a very, very, very minor role for DRS. So it was a good race. Not what I expected when I started watching. Not at all.

One complaint: Leigh Diffey on FOX. I never want to hear him commentate F1 again. He talks too much, he talks too loudly, he has nothing to say and uses a lot of words to say it (like me :P), he displayed a lot of bias toward the two Australian drivers, and he just missed a lot of important stuff (Hülkenberg will get a podium...no he won't, Schumacher was already ahead, and everyone else saw it on TV...and if you say "home hero" one more time...he's a sideshow demo derby monster truck announcer, not the polished and understated Bob Varsha. Disappointing that Varsha chose to do a classic car auction over this race because Diffey's just...noise. A lot of noise).

a nice sign off if that's the last time they race there.

It isn't.

They confirmed officially a month or so ago that it was alternating with Barcelona. Barcelona in 2013, Valenca 2014, etc, etc.

Another classic race from Alonso. He should not be leading the championship. Happy for Schumi. Good job by Kimi but he shouldn't have needed to inherit so much, he seems to lack some aggression when trying to pass which costs him some time (but what Ikyrotz said is also true).

Hamilton? Why to fight the inevitable so much? These kind of mistakes are what lose championships. Although yes, it was Maldonado's fault. That guy is probably even worse than Massa when it comes to race-craft because he seems to willingly drive into people rather than back out. Absolutely bizarre.

Race did a number on the WDC standings. I know it's a long year, but wow, it's just weird now. Webber takes the title finishing P4 in every remaining race. ;)

Sucks that Kobayashi eliminated Massa from some points. Not that it makes up for the fact that Massa still sucks but at least he wasn't the loser today.

Senna did a great job not getting into more trouble than he did when whoever hit him (was it Kobayashi or Pérez?) and he went sideways. He then came from P23 to score a point. A single point isn't much, I know, nor is it P11 to P1 or P19 to P4, or Schumacher's huge charge which was fun to watch. Still, I wanted to mention it because his day went largely unnoticed was a nice recovery with a lot of help from his competitors being less than intelligent.

Hamilton's block on Räikkönen was pretty dumb. I could just feel a wreck with Hamilton and Maldonado coming. I admire that Hamilton won't quit, though, I just wish he'd understand (and Massa, too) the line where you go from tenacious to sore loser. Big difference between not quitting on the race and just ruining everyone else's since yours went south.

During the first part of the race, I was thinking: why do people hate this place so much? The track layout, I think, is very, very cool. It's a unique challenge, beautiful surroundings...I'd love to see it on the future calendar. Best track for overtaking? No. But the DRS zone isn't a free pass and it's very technical. It's like a Monaco designed for modern cars. And it's the only race I have seen all year, any series, any country, that actually had people in the grandstands! Looked damn well-attended here and I know Silverstone will be and Austin's sold out non-PSL seating and adding more seats, but really, I haven't seen a capacity crowd at many races in ages.

But no, let's just cancel a great event because they don't overtake enough...and of course if they did, they'd overtake too much and be cheapening overtaking as an art or whatever. rolleyes.gif

People just don't seem to like it, even those who work in F1 usually talk about it in a negative sort of light. Strange really.

But yeah, a good race today, much more interesting than any of the others we've seen there. It's definitely a challenging track too. I'm happy to see it stay on the calendar, but also glad it's becoming an alternating race.

Race did a number on the WDC standings. I know it's a long year, but wow, it's just weird now. Webber takes the title finishing P4 in every remaining race. wink.png

Sucks that Kobayashi eliminated Massa from some points. Not that it makes up for the fact that Massa still sucks but at least he wasn't the loser today.

Senna did a great job not getting into more trouble than he did when whoever hit him (was it Kobayashi or Pérez?) and he went sideways. He then came from P23 to score a point. A single point isn't much, I know, nor is it P11 to P1 or P19 to P4, or Schumacher's huge charge which was fun to watch. Still, I wanted to mention it because his day went largely unnoticed was a nice recovery with a lot of help from his competitors being less than intelligent.

Hamilton's block on Räikkönen was pretty dumb. I could just feel a wreck with Hamilton and Maldonado coming. I admire that Hamilton won't quit, though, I just wish he'd understand (and Massa, too) the line where you go from tenacious to sore loser. Big difference between not quitting on the race and just ruining everyone else's since yours went south.

It is quite strange to see Webber in 2nd, but not as strange for me than to see Alonso leading! Well said about Senna's drive.

All of Hammy's driving/defending was fine in itself, imo. He did what everybody did by taking the racing line and making the other car go off the track. The only difference is that some drivers, once in that position, will always back out of that to avoid an incident because they are intelligent and not completely in the moment (e.g. Raikkonen, Alonso, Webber), whereas some drivers will not (Maldonado and Massa are the best examples, but Grosjean has shown it too and so do others). Knowing that, and knowing his tyres were going off, Hamilton should have just let him through. His mistake was not in his execution of the corner or his defence, but in his strategy: choosing to fight a losing battle against a reckless driver. I wonder if he will ever learn.

Glad that Maldonado has been penalized. But I expected the drive-thru penalty to involve someone driving a car through him. Oh well.

About Hamilton refusing to yield, I guess the botched pit stop (which deprived him of a possible win) was playing on his mind. "I've lost the first place, why the hell should I give up on a podium finish too?" Otherwise, I guess he's played the percentage game nicely this year.

According to the drivers, and in Mark Webber's own words, it isn't a challenge. It's accelerate, brake, accelerate and brake. Pretty much all the corners are slow speeds, there's nothing that really challenges the cars, or even really challenges the drivers.

I wouldn't even say it is a particularly attractive venue. Aside from the beach, it looks like some kind of building site. Plus the weather adds to the dullness. Is it ALWAYS hot and sunny in Valencia? I know I'd get bored of that after a while. Be nice to see some variety in the weather, like...I don't know, some rain? tongue.png

No, I'm joking. Still not keen on that circuit as a whole, and it was close to being a very predictable, traditional Valencia race with Vettel running away with it. Thankfully, saying this even as a Vettel fan, it wasn't and we were treated to a good race. Would still be glad to see it off the calendar. One race does not make it a modern day classic track or whatever.

Good job by Kimi but he shouldn't have needed to inherit so much, he seems to lack some aggression when trying to pass which costs him some time (but what Ikyrotz said is also true).

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that Kimi needs more aggression to his passes (great example of this was right after first pit-stops when Alonso came out right in front of Kimi and behind a number of slower cars. Fernando was able to pass them fairly easily whereas Kimi struggled more and lost about 6 seconds to Alonso and others in top spots). In the particular case of Kimi/Pastor on Lewis, though, I think the difference between an experienced, intelligent driver and a hot-head was quite manifest.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that Kimi needs more aggression to his passes (great example of this was right after first pit-stops when Alonso came out right in front of Kimi and behind a number of slower cars. Fernando was able to pass them fairly easily whereas Kimi struggled more and lost about 6 seconds to Alonso and others in top spots). In the particular case of Kimi/Pastor on Lewis, though, I think the difference between an experienced, intelligent driver and a hot-head was quite manifest.

Yep! He's definitely still got that respect and intelligence that he always seemed to have when battling other drivers. It was exactly that part of the race I was thinking of, when he was behind Alonso, that I thought he was a little tame. Lack of aggression is not something I'd usually associate with Kimi's driving, based on his first career in F1, so maybe he's just rusty..