Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jean-Pierre

Does Maclaren Favor Button Over Hamilton?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that only Button had the new wing on his car for the last GP, which would partialy explain why LH was so p**** off with his team.

Since LH is the better driver, this would be unexcusable from this top team. and show bad leadership from the manager IMHO.

In any case, if they have the same car this time around, look for LH to win the race.

No, I can't imagine they would favour Button over Hamilton.

The only circumstances I could see that they would favour Button was if they knew that Lewis was leaving the team for definite. Even then, it would only be minor things, they still want to win the constructors title as well as the driver's championship, after all.

Regarding the rear wing last week, I still can't work out if Lewis chose that wing or not. I didn't see any eports that Macca only had the 1 new rear wing, but I may have just missed it.

Why yes they obviously do. Then again, hard not to favor the guy that seems more likely not to publish internal data on his twitter account (notice that I said "most likely" meaning that this can be applied for the facts before the twittergate) Hamilton has shown increasing signs that he feels everything butu comfortoable at McLaren. Button, as is usual in these cases, plays the "good son".

Now, that means that guys smile more at Button, that team members are perhaps more communicative with Jean Boutton than with Lewis, and possibly more helpful, or put more effort into it.

But as said countless times aroun here, that's about it. They don't like him, he doesn't like them. Giving upgrades, sabotaging pitstops or screwing strategies on purpose for ONE OF THEIR OWN DRIVERS is stupid and there are very, very few examples of something remotely close to that. And even in those cases it is highly controversial how far the team actually were.

I am right handed. I prefer my right hand over my left hand (Paul, stop giggling like a schoolgirl, I am trying to make a point here). I feel more comfortable doing things with my right hand. I DO NOT bite my left arm off.

The main impact when a t eam prefers one driver over another is on the driver's mood. Not on the mechanics/strategy, etc.

I am yet to see a single convincing sign that Boutton has been benefited more than Lewis. Nit-picking bad moments of Lewis and trying to convert them into some sort of McLaren's anti Lewis conspiracy might be reassuring for Lewis supporters for a while, but is a road more conducting towards paranoia than towards reality,

What Andres said. I'd be amazed if a lot of the team members didn't like Button more. Why wouldn't you? Seems like a much more down to earth, mature and genial sort of guy. But I am sure they also recognise and respect Lewis' talent as a driver, even if he is immature at times. It's quite a funny situation actually, as usually it's the stronger driver that's preferred by the team (see Red Bull and Ferrari). But even in those teams, I don't think that "favouritism" results in unequal treatment. Like Andres said, that's rare.

What George said I said.

It is indeed an uncommon situation now at McLaren with the favorite driver being the theoretical #2. Distant echoes from 2007...

But that year they sabotaged Alonso! They had voodoo dolls and such! They spied on Ferrari so he could be forever tarnished, not because of any actual gain from knowing Ferrari's secrets! I know it was like that! They rather had Kimi taking that championship than Alonso!!!

And now Ferrari...oh, yesss, do not think for a minute that you can fool me! Problems with the engine, gearbox and brakes. How many of those troubles did Felipinho got? Zero! And why? Geez, how blind can you guys be? He is managed by Nicholas Todt, son of Jean Todt, the guy that actually forbade Alonso from going to Ferrari while he was there.

Do you need a drawing or what?

A farce! A circus!

The problem Hamilton has is that it is always someone else's fault. It's the team, or the car, or the tyres, or the track, or the other driver, or the stewards and so it goes on.

He lacks the maturity Button has. Otherwise he'd never have tweeted that telemetry in the first place!

McLaren only really care about the WCC seeing as the last time they won it was in '98. That's what they've been aiming for over the last few years, and I believe what they've said they're really going for again this year.

So, no, they're not favouring Button. But helping him to overcome the problems he had in the first part of the season will only help the team in their attempts to win the big prize.

Regarding the rear wing last week, I still can't work out if Lewis chose that wing or not. I didn't see any eports that Macca only had the 1 new rear wing, but I may have just missed it.

I read that Hamilton had the new rear wing in FP3, and decided it didn't feel right to him and went with the old one.

That could have also been a PR cover-up that McLaren asked Hamilton to do after Hamilton fueled wondering about the situation.

In their situation McLaren have to support both drivers. Things would be different if they had a much better car than their rivals so the team could give the WDC title to either Hamilton or Button and still win the WCC title.

In this case they will never say we were racing Hamilton. I guess. :unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that only Button had the new wing on his car for the last GP, which would partialy explain why LH was so p**** off with his team.

Since LH is the better driver, this would be unexcusable from this top team. and show bad leadership from the manager IMHO.

In any case, if they have the same car this time around, look for LH to win the race.

You are making a supposition that isn't based on any facts we know for sure. You believe that LH is the better driver but I am sure McLaren make no such division and treat them equally. It is my understanding that the wing change was Lewis's call entirely. JB was consistently quicker through P2 and P3 and LH was clearly looking for a solution. We don't know how many wings Macca brought to Spa but I find it incongrous that Lewis should chose a different wing and then spit his dummy out in such a public fashion. Perhaps the answer may be that JB has a more 'hands-on' approach to setting his car up and Hamilton relies on the team to point him in the right direction. He clearly needed someone to blame. There was nothing between them at all today and I expect that to continue into quali.

It's a white supremacy thang.

Yes. Just like this:

post-1794-0-82723500-1347062606_thumb.jp

Oh, sorry...I thought you said white supremacy thong.

What we saw during last race was more of JB getting on with his job...regardless of what position he qualified or won, and Lewis displaying his pussy catness once in a while. We all know on raw pace Lewis is better, but these days it is also important to be calm regardless of what situation is like. Lewis was just so damn desperate to find an excuse for being that slow. I still think Lewis is a better driver, but the only thing that has stopped him from being the best is his ocassional stupidity. Which has cost him atleast one world title. Just stupidity alone.

Funny sht.

Not only favoritism is rampant and key to drivers' results. It is in fact impossible to understand F1 without putting prejudicial driver management front and center. Even if one wants to whimsically dismiss anything other than race strategies, these are so blatantly biased that only the truly fanatic could claim that Schumacher was not allowed and encouraged to steal from Barrichelo, Hamilton from Kovalainen, or Vettel from Webber.

There is absolutely nothing new to this. It is in the DNA of F1. Take a look at, for example, Mansell's tour de force (a great driver, btw), and how he was systematically fvcked over for the benefit of others' careers yet, ironically, only won a championship when his teammate was finally bound and gagged by contract.

Carry on, the four of you left...

EDIT: Fat is good for you.

I thought about it.

I have no way of knowing if McLaren favors a driver, but I do know that if they do, it doesn't make sense at this point.

McLaren stand a good chance of winning the WCC. They arguably have the best car right now, given the last two races and Monza qualifying. Ferrari are in a hole from having a bad driver in what was a bad car. Lotus have struggled with consistency for the 10 car with Grosjean. The Red Bulls don't have as large of pastures in which to graze given recent FIA rulings and scrutiny. Now's a good time to capitalize, and the only way to do that is support both. We've seen the drivers make errors and the crew make errors. You have to hedge your bets and support both guys equally. They can handle it.

Could it come at the expense of a WDC? Sure, but consider how much harder that will be. Hamilton and Button are last in the "actual WDC candidates" category. This means they have to gain not just on Alonso, but on everyone ahead of them. That also means the pool of drivers they are gaining on can always shift. It's not impossible for one to be champion by any means. It's also not super realistic. Making significant gains and then not negating those gains in future races has been really hard this season with so many competitive teams.

Basically, the WCC counts the most for the team and will be the easier objective to achieve this year. If they do favor one guy, they shouldn't. Attack for the WCC and attack now.

You are making a supposition that isn't based on any facts we know for sure. You believe that LH is the better driver but I am sure McLaren make no such division and treat them equally. It is my understanding that the wing change was Lewis's call entirely. JB was consistently quicker through P2 and P3 and LH was clearly looking for a solution. We don't know how many wings Macca brought to Spa but I find it incongrous that Lewis should chose a different wing and then spit his dummy out in such a public fashion. Perhaps the answer may be that JB has a more 'hands-on' approach to setting his car up and Hamilton relies on the team to point him in the right direction. He clearly needed someone to blame. There was nothing between them at all today and I expect that to continue into quali.

From what I learned, JB had the wing and LH did not, not by his own choice, but as you now, most sources are not dependable, so I would not put my money on that info. As to know who is the better driver, it is obvious for most, including FA. JB might be the "good son" type of guy (not my type of driver anyways), but LH is the warrior wjho always want to be in front and has the goods to deliver, and better driver IMHO also.

Yes. And about time.

Yes. And about time.

!!??

why would they favor the less talented driver (he almost always was behind LH both in quali and in races)?

Is he a familly member of yours?

LH would have been on gardening leave from the day he said he was leaving if I was Whitmarsh. I certainly wouldn't let him within a mile of any new bits. His car broke down - tough Sh#t! It happens. Lewis is certainly quicker over a single lap most of the time but not always. I am a JB fan. Why? He's a world class racing driver and he deserves all the help he can get from a team who has seriously under-performed this season.

!!??

why would they favor the less talented driver (he almost always was behind LH both in quali and in races)?

Is he a familly member of yours?

I guess he's that much of a 'lesser talent' he didn't beat Lewis last season. Must be an alternate reality or something.

And yes. He's my brother's cousin's auntie's great uncles nephews daughters son twice removed.

Thanks for asking.

Next.

I guess he's that much of a 'lesser talent' he didn't beat Lewis last season. Must be an alternate reality or something.

And yes. He's my brother's cousin's auntie's great uncles nephews daughters son twice removed.

Thanks for asking.

Next.

I would,nt go as far as to say Macca are favouring Button but i don't think with LH going to Merc they will be going all out to Help Hamilition either, no big deal either way, Macca dropped the ball big time this year and one cn only assume that it has influenced LH's decision to move to pastures new, plus i think a change will be good for LH, he may not win to much next season but i rckon it will be entertaining

On a side note, love the sig Kopite, Rush are a top band

I am not sure how worth is this debate. It's not as if being helped by McLaren at this stage meant too much for any of them.

Thanks for asking.

Next.

This explains that.

If JB is as dominant as you say, he won't have any problem beating the new guy on a regular basis next year.

I am not sure how worth is this debate. It's not as if being helped by McLaren at this stage meant too much for any of them.

If they did help Hamilton at the beginning of the season I bet he's more than happy not being helped at all. :P