Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rumblestrip

Nbc Picks Up F1 Coverage In The Us For 2013

Sorry if there's already a thread about this. I'm amazed there isn't, but depite searching the forums, I've found nothing.

So Speed loses the rights to broadcast F1 races in the US next year, and according to formula1.com, NBC is the new broadcaster. The article states that 4 races will be on NBC, and the rest will be on NBC Sports Network, which on our plan is a pay service.

I'm not horribly happy about having to pay to see F1 after all these years (and even less happy about the possibility of losing the Hobbs/Varsha/Matchett team). Does NBC really think that F1 is popular enough in the US to charge for it? It seems like this would just reduce viewership.

I'm sort of baffled.

I agree it should be free but that's not the way the cookie crumbles, is it. In the UK, we have a choice, of sorts. A complete live offering from Sky including every practice session on a dedicated channel as part of a chargeable monthly sports package or some quail and races from the BBC for free. Bernie is a greedy little Sh#t and completely uncompromising as far as the fans are concerned. A three-day pass for the F1 Paddock Club at the Indian GP is currently advertised at $10,000. F1 is a luxury product, horrendously overpriced and that's why it will never get a foothold in the US. I sat on The Boot at Watkins Glen in 1970 and existed on beer and hot dogs for the entire weekend and it cost me $50 including entrance! It was packed. We'll never see that again, I'm afraid. Most of the new tracks are paying through the nose and without government backing will fail in the short run. So, Bernie constantly wanders the World looking for more suckers to fleece. The Koreans, Indians, Malaysians et al see F1 as a status symbol. Unfortunately, the American people prefer the to see the whole game for the ticket price they can afford, not just 3-400 yards of blurred action in a seat you had to get a bank loan to buy. That's why it's on pay TV - Bernie already knows the stands will be half-empty.

I'm confused. NBC isn't charging fans for Formula One. Your cable provider is charging you to get the channel, just like they did with SPEED. SPEED is not free and never was. It's moving from one cable network (which you pay for) to another (which you pay for).

You personally may already receive SPEED in your cable package that you are paying for, and need to upgrade for NBCSN. Likewise, there were people like me who get NBCSN in basic cable, and SPEED required an upgrade (which can now be canceled).

The 2012 deal had four races on "free" TV and sixteen on cable. The 2013 deal has four races on "free" TV, sixteen on cable, and all twenty live and free online (on NBC's Sports Extra, which is a very nice service if you don't mind watching on your computer and don't wish to change your cable package to get NBCSN). So, in theory, anyone with an Internet connection and U.S. IP address gets F1 totally free provided they are willing to view it on a computer rather than a TV.

F1's viewership far exceeds IndyCar's in the U.S., and NBCSN already has that. Outside of NHL playoffs, F1 will be the highest-rated program on NBCSN. It's a good move for them to pick something up, and NBC, the broadcast network, has already aired advertisements for the F1 season in March, something I never saw on FOX.

The SPEED Channel will cease to exist in June 2013. Why would Ecclestone accept a lower bid from a channel that was about to vanish? That's not greed, that's just how decisions work.

NBC and NBCSN will be good partners for Formula One in the U.S. It's not a flawless deal; I sympathize with you having to pay extra to get NBCSN because we had to pay extra for the last decade to get SPEED, but that's something to take out on how the U.S. cable system works, not Ecclestone or NBC.

Now I'm sort of baffled. :P

By the way, SPEED Channel is in "more than 80,000,000 homes" in the U.S., while NBCSN is in "more than 79,000,000 homes." So it's a very similar reach there.

I'm confused. NBC isn't charging fans for Formula One. Your cable provider is charging you to get the channel, just like they did with SPEED. SPEED is not free and never was. It's moving from one cable network (which you pay for) to another (which you pay for).

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.

Yep I pay for Speed. It's part of my package. NBCSN is not however part of my package (typing that feels funny) so I'd have to order it. But I can't just cancel Speed and order NBCSN, because the only way to get rid of Speed is to downgrade to a lesser package, which NBCSN isn't part of.

Additionally, I have an "old" package that's not available anymore, but they're letting me keep my old price because I've been a customer since the beginning of time. If I change anything I'd have to pay for the new version of the package, plus the upgrade to the package which includes NBCSN. The wife will take some convincing to make this happen, especially since we just cancelled one of her add-on packages to cut the bill down.

Oh well... I wonder if NBC will pick up the old broadcast team, or if they'll have their own people. I just can't imagine F1 without Hobbs and Varsha.

No problem.

I don't think there's a single cable customer in the U.S. who is satisfied with the tiered packages system because it just gets so damn hard to get the one channel you need to watch a few hours of programming twenty weekends out of a year. Situations like yours aren't good.

The broadcast team itself could be anyone, but they are going to use the same format (three in the studio, one at the track). Varsha is still contracted to FOX for 2013, though how binding that is with F1 gone, I don't know. Hobbs and Matchett are free to leave. NBC has contacts with Leigh Diffey, Ralph Sheheen, and Greg Creamer as far as play-by-play guys go, and with Derek Daly and Calvin Fish as far as analysts go. You could make a frighteningly bad team with some of those. :P

Of course, NBC also employs Al Michaels for football...32 years ago he was on ABC leading Jackie Stewart into a segment with a model Monaco and some wretched background music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDDF2KA5H4

Of course, NBC also employs Al Michaels for football...32 years ago he was on ABC leading Jackie Stewart into a segment with a model Monaco and some wretched background music...

OMG! That music!! lolroll.gif

Woo! My worries are over.

I gave my provider a call today to see what my options were, because a competing company is digging up our neighborhood to lay fiber optic lines for TV and Internet (which all the other providers know, because they've had reps canvassing the area for the weeks leading up to the dig).

I sort of complained about having to change packages just to trade one channel for another, and that's when the girl on the phone told me that I should have been getting NBCSN all this time, because it's "in my package" (even though the website disagrees). So I waited while she punched some keys on her end, and voila! I now have NBCSN.

I'm not sure whether I was really supposed to have it, or whether this was a way of keeping me, but I don't really care. I'm just glad to be keeping my F1 coverage. thumb.gif

I really hope to see Mattchet move over.

He is the best part of the Speed team. He actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to the tech and always has an interesting story on hand about some tech thing.

Knowing NBC though I bet their team will consist of a former heismann trophy winner, a Journalist for SI and their pit lane reporter will be one of Donald Trump's pagent runner ups.

:lol:

I agree, Matchett's really important. If they could find a way to blindfold him when a McLaren is doing something, and keep the telestrator pen out of his hand, he'd be flawless. :P

Townsend Bell did a great job filling in for David Hobbs at Monza a few years back, and is now part of NBC's coverage of IndyCar. He'd be nice, but he's also very busy with that and a full-time factory Lotus drive in the ALMS.

Few younger broadcasters share the style Bob Varsha has, of only talking when necessary or when important, and allowing Hobbs and Matchett to tell us things we aren't seeing. Most of the young guys just shout constantly about what I can already see. It's a shame that the old generation of broadcasters will be replaced by radio on the television.

It will be interesting to see what happens, though. Fresh doesn't have to be bad, though a familiar face or two from SPEED would be great.

laugh.png

I agree, Matchett's really important. If they could find a way to blindfold him when a McLaren is doing something, and keep the telestrator pen out of his hand, he'd be flawless. tongue.png

Townsend Bell did a great job filling in for David Hobbs at Monza a few years back, and is now part of NBC's coverage of IndyCar. He'd be nice, but he's also very busy with that and a full-time factory Lotus drive in the ALMS.

Few younger broadcasters share the style Bob Varsha has, of only talking when necessary or when important, and allowing Hobbs and Matchett to tell us things we aren't seeing. Most of the young guys just shout constantly about what I can already see. It's a shame that the old generation of broadcasters will be replaced by radio on the television.

It will be interesting to see what happens, though. Fresh doesn't have to be bad, though a familiar face or two from SPEED would be great.

what? you dont like explinations like this:

telestrator.jpg

The SPEED Channel will cease to exist in June 2013. Why would Ecclestone accept a lower bid from a channel that was about to vanish? That's not greed, that's just how decisions work.

NBC and NBCSN will be good partners for Formula One in the U.S. It's not a flawless deal; I sympathize with you having to pay extra to get NBCSN because we had to pay extra for the last decade to get SPEED, but that's something to take out on how the U.S. cable system works, not Ecclestone or NBC.

Now I'm sort of baffled. tongue.png

[/qThe SPEED Channel will cease to exist in June 2013. Why would Ecclestone accept a lower bid from a channel that was about to vanish? That's not greed, that's just how decisions workThe SPEED Channel will cease to exist in June 2013. Why would Ecclestone accept a lower bid from a channel that was about to vanish? That's not greed, that's just how decisions work.

Thank you for your fair and accurate explanation of the format for viewing F1 races in the 2013 World Championship. It never ceases to amaze me, how Bernie Ecclestone is cast as the villain in the piece, whenever there is a development that does not pass muster with a certain breed of F1 Fan.

The reference to Mr. Ecclestone in vulgar terms is a powerful exhibition of the complete lack of dignity, self respect and simple manners, and is inevitably the result of substandard upbringing, intellectual challenge and deficit, with ignorance as the predominant modus ioperandi.

:lol: F1 FANatic, nice one. I like to keep track of how long it takes them to circle a Race Control message...

Though as much as I kid, the broadcast on SPEED was great today. I hope they'll do a nice little thing at the end of the Brazilian Grand Prix to send SPEED's coverage off. Those three, as well as Windsor and Posey for me, are a big part of that early-ish (or actually early for those of you on the West Coast) morning-race-viewing experience you get as one of the few hundred thousand U.S. American F1 fans.

I'll even miss Montel Williams hawking pay day loans, and the silly blonde girl rushing to buy a new laptop when her genius father can fix it with the click of a button on some shady website. :P

NBC Sports Network has hired David Hobbs and Steve Matchett for their 2013 coverage.

The play-by-play will be done by...

Leigh Diffey. angry.pngno.giffrusty.gifsad.pngmad.gif

Just great. We get the races shouted to us by a phys ed teacher. I feel like Diffey's entire notes for a race are just a sheet of clichés.

Bob Varsha is one of the few commentators left who understands that the viewer can see what's on the TV and doesn't need a narrator. This isn't radio. You don't have to be loud and you don't have to be descriptive. Varsha lets Hobbs and Matchett tell you things you can't see or didn't realize, and never makes "stupid" comments. They enhance the pictures, rather than yell about them, which is Leigh Diffey's style. If you see a McLaren and a Red Bull in the shot, well guess what, Leigh will make sure you know he did, too.

I wish they would add a Spanish-language U.S. broadcast now; they did for NASCAR and it's been so much better. :lol:

I feel for you, Eric.

Right now I'm in the UK and I stream whatever I can get, and watching a Polish/Portuguese/whatever there is broadcast feels really peaceful. There's someone blabbering all the time but you never notice since you don't understand anyway. The contrast was a couple of weeks ago in Spain, watching Abu Dhabi. Everything that transpired during that race was somehow connected to Alonso. And wait, if it turns out that it wasn't, how come we don't get Alonso in the shot? And that considering that this guy has been in F1 about as long as Alonso and has actually improved over the years. Give me a Polish TV anytime! :lol:

So I imagine that getting a broadcasting team you like changed is quite a bit worse than my experience... But I know you'll make the most of it, or at least we'll always have the mute button :D

Speaking of commentators with the right "level" for the game, big Darrell Eastlake has to be the best. He commentates Australian NRL (Rugby League) and he practically whispers in the general play by play but IF SOMEONE IS MAKING A BREAK AND MIGHT SCORE WELL THEN HE RAMPS IT UP AND THEN they get tackled on the try line and the ball rolls out of play....

Hey NBC,

you have a great oppertunity here. I used to find Steve's use of the yellow pen kinda annoying. BUt over the last few races it has gotten really funny. Can you please spring the like ten extra dollars and buy him another? I want to see what that man can telestrate with one pen in each hand.

Sincerly,

An F1 fan who finds telestrator art by the comentator more enjoyable than today's F1 action on track.

Some updates:

The entire NBC team will be in Barcelona this week for testing. They will be preparing a pre-season show to air on a later date.

All nineteen races will be televised live for what I believe is the first time in United States history. Even the four races on NBC (Montréal, Abu Dhabi, Austin, and São Paulo) will be live, which is a departure from Ecclestone's past requirement that they be aired in the East Cost afternoon (two of the four are live in that time, while São Paulo is a pre-noon affair. Abu Dhabi has an 8:00 AM start time on this side of the country).

Qualifying will be live on NBCSN every weekend, while one free practice (no idea which) will be aired as well. Live streaming is still on for all 19 races on NBC Sports Extra, which I used today to watch Hockey Day in America.

Will they have yellow tracks too? Or is that just a NASCAR thing (which I presume is because the rednecks now have colour TVs)

Only when Steve Matchett colors them that way. ;)

The network with the yellow tracks is the one that actually lost the F1 rights. Now we're on the network with Bob Costas, who has more carbon fiber in his face than an F1 car does in its components. Perfect match, and maybe we'll get an F1 Day in America to coincide with Austin...

F1 Countdown will air on NBCSN on Thursday, March 7, at 9:00 PM Eastern. It is a half-hour show. It will re-air if you cannot watch it or record it at that time.

Something SPEED wouldn't have done, so that's cool.

You didn't miss much. :P

Here's the full schedule for F1 on NBC. I believe everything will be streamed live on their website, but I'd have to check (FP1 and FP3 are definitely being streamed).

Monaco, Canada, United States, and Brazil will air live on NBC. Britain will air live on CNBC. All others will air live on NBCSN.

The schedule lists Belgium and Hungary as being aired at 7:30 PM as opposed to 7:30 AM; however, it says they are live, so I assume this was a typo.

Certain practice and qualifying sessions will be not be aired live, just delayed. Britain's qualifying is among them, and does not yet have a network. All others air on NBCSN. Austin qualifying is listed as live, but at 6:30 PM, it most definitely is not.

So, there appears to be a few mistakes, and a few disappointments. I'm excited for NBC's coverage, but tape-delayed qualifying is a downgrade from SPEED.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Aww gee, sure does beat coverage here in Kiwiland. We only get FP1, FP2, FP3, Qually and the Race, and all live too.

Oh, no wait. I stuffed that up didn't I?

Sure are benefits living in a land of 4-million...harhar.gif