Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Texas

82,710 spectators attended qualifying today. That's very impressive, though I think we all know year two attendance will be the telling figures.

One of those 82,710? Governor Rick Perry, who ran for a presidential nomination last year but ultimately lost. According to Adam Cooper on Twitter, Governor Perry saw the "Pepe Jeans" logo on Christian Horner's shirt and said, "nice to meet you, Pepe." biggrin.png

Vettel and Red Bull do it again, great job from them. Alonso's really done a lot from down the field, but you can only produce so much magic, especially with these tire compounds. If Alonso survives turn one, I guess anything can happen, but I think we'll be looking at a very deserving three-time champion tomorrow as Alonso comes home fifth or worse.

Expect harassment in 3, 2, 1.....

One of those 82,710? Governor Rick Perry, who ran for a presidential nomination last year but ultimately lost. According to Adam Cooper on Twitter, Governor Perry saw the "Pepe Jeans" logo on Christian Horner's shirt and said, "nice to meet you, Pepe." biggrin.png

Reminds me of the story from last year when Geri Halliwell turned up to the Monaco Grand Prix and asked Adrian Newey whether he was one of the guys who changed the tyres...

I'm not expecting carnage at the start despite what everyone else thinks. It'll be a clean start. But I am expecting that the championship will be mathematically over by the end of the race for Alonso, or only a point or two away from being so.

But Alonso's often produced magic on race day, so we'll see. Red Bull have had to go back to their dodgy 2012 spec alternators for this race, so it isn't a forgone conclusion.

Not expecting a thriller if I'm honest. Don't think the track will lead itself to lots of overtaking, and the overly conservative tyres mean there won't be much strategy either.

I only got a short glimpse of qualy, but was amazed at the track turnout. That place was packed to the hilt! I don't recall Turkey, China, Korea or any of those "new" circuits being packed like that. There was still vast empty stands. This is great for F1. Finally a good outcome for once for the US GP. I hated the Indy track and could never work out why they went there. If anything they should have just gone around the oval and let it be a unique race in the series.

Looking forward to the race. I can see already they aren't doing very well in showing us the elevation changes, but hopefully in time they will sort that out.

Yeah, the road course at Indianapolis is a pretty lame circuit. Still, attendance was great there, too; over 100,000 for the races until 2006 and 2007. Of course, that's under half full at the Speedway. The drop was due to the 2005 race with six cars, but you know, I'm not sure why it made a difference. Only nine cars finished in 2004 and 2006, so what makes a nine-car race any better than one with six? ;)

Anyway, I hope I'll be surprised with something interesting. I also hope I'll be surprised and find the time to watch it.

I wouldn't brag so much about attendance figures of the USGP and compare it with places like China and Turkey...

1) This is the first year for a new venue. Turkey was a huge success in their first year(s) as well. Considering that there wasn't even a hint of a Turkish driverthat's no smal feat. Ditto for Abu Dhani or Bahrein. Let's see how it goes.Besides, those countries have no tradition on any motorsport wahtsoever, unlike USA where ppl watches every kind of motorsport crappy variant they can imagine. From a country that can make a nation wide league of almost anything with wheels and an engine, the fact that people comes to watch a new addition such as F1 is not too telling unless it is really considered different from the USA K-Mart Shopping Cart (World)Series :P. If it is perceived just as a filler between NASCAR races, then it might make money, but will never be considered nothing more.

2) At least 50% of those attendants (and probably a great deal more) is Mexican/Venezuelan public. Even the Mexican President went there and said it was a Mexican GP, albeit one held in Austin. I wonder what will happen if Perez doesn't make it or if Maldonado leaves. Or simply when they stop being a novelty in their respective countries.

3) I have a serious tooth ache, I can barely see what I'm writing. I hope the race is entertaining and the pain killers I was given until my dentist appointment let me enjoy it with half my wits at least! :(

What???? R u sure?????

Yep. Since Monza they've been using 2011 spec which were fine, but apparently they've had to change back because they had too much mileage on them. So will be using them here, and in one week at Brazil.

Yep. Since Monza they've been using 2011 spec which were fine, but apparently they've had to change back because they had too much mileage on them. So will be using them here, and in one week at Brazil.

I see.......ok, this is going to be pretty stressfull for me, hope Vettel gets the championship this race

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA THIS IS JUST BRILLIANT, someone suggested this on jamesallen's site, and yes, I won't be suprised if they put this one through!!!

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/436124/Ferrari_could_change_Massas_gearbox/

Massa, the ultimate g-pig!!!! Shame on the poor little guy, shame on the sport that a team has to push thru a driver this way to gain some places and advantage... I actually hope that they go through with this, I would'nt expect anything less

That reminds me of RBR pitting Webber in the last race, a lap or 2 after telling him to let Vettel through. The closer we get to end of season the more pressure on the teams to use team orders and also an increased paranoia in the fans of conspiracy theories. So what will be our conclusion if Massa starts 6th and doesn't finish the race because of a broken gearbox? Just asking, to cover the 2% chance of that happening :P

That reminds me of RBR pitting Webber in the last race, a lap or 2 after telling him to let Vettel through. The closer we get to end of season the more pressure on the teams to use team orders and also an increased paranoia in the fans of conspiracy theories. So what will be our conclusion if Massa starts 6th and doesn't finish the race because of a broken gearbox? Just asking, to cover the 2% chance of that happening tongue.png

it seems to be confirmed....

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/436132/Massa_gets_penalty_Alonso_moves_to_clean_side/

Lot of people on the Twitter interwebs making out as if the penalty is confirmed. Apparently what Ferrari intend to do is just break the seal on Massa's gearbox to incur a penalty, seemingly for no other reason than Alonso's benefit. On the one hand, this seems like a really smart tactic and why not do everything you can to help Alonso, by putting him to the clean side of the grid? On the other, seems like a completely tasteless use of team orders (going even further than normal team orders, arguably) and doesn't sit too well with me. My biggest issue with this is that it just seems way too "cute", and getting too clever like this has a tendency of backfiring horribly.

My biggest issue with this is that it just seems way too "cute", and getting too clever like this has a tendency of backfiring horribly.

and backfire it will !!!

I actually can't believe that they would be so dumb and actually go thru with this..... shows the desperation....

At least Ferrari are being honest about the penalty I actually didn't expect that.

I liked your first response betterlaugh.png

Well, it looks like they accept the consequences this might bring....

Well.. dunno. It's still just as tasteless, I wanted to believe that they had a reason. Now if something bad happens to Alonso it will be considered "poetic justice" or something :S

Being frank about cheating the rules is just having a lot of nerve. Hello, we are Ferrari and what the other teams do in secret we do for all the world to see and don't even get a reprimand.