Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Fernando Alonso Tribute Thread: An Ode To A Once Fairly Good Driver

Not going to take the responsibility for raising the tone my friend. I pop by occasionally to see if anything interesting is brewing in these parts. No luck so far.

Crying shame actually. The racing yesterday was probably the most incredible I have seen in a long long time, and none of that DRS assisted Sh#t. Would have spawned about ten fascinating threads in the good old days.

So frustrating when an artist returns after too long a break and paints a bad painting, when previously they have brushed masterpieces. Still, I guess it's all about finding landscapes that inspire. Will do my best to show you some hidden valleys. Take care, my friend.

Oh well, let's join the fun! Hmmmm, after reading the first post again I realize it's not such a badly crafted piece of "work" after all. I would sum it up by saying written with a sublime mix of smoky undertone with BIG chunks of truth attached to it.

Do you mean like the fact that Vettel needed not one but three teammates plus and overrated old glory racing for him and letting him by to beat Alonso? I think he forgot to mention that...

Do you mean like the fact that Vettel needed not one but three teammates plus and overrated old glory racing for him and letting him by to beat Alonso? I think he forgot to mention that...

Worse still is the fact that Alonso has had to rely on Massa to gain a tow to overtake, then had two amateurish off track excursions, then had to push to overtake while he teammate was twiddling his fingers waiting for him to catch up...wait, I forget, he did mention that

Webber? Shumacher? Toro Rossos stumbling over each other to see who gets out of the way quicker?

whatever you want to believe, but the informed opinion has a clear view on who the better driver was this year; and it is not even close. You know well your brat child of a driver owes his titles to Newey... if not, let us know how he did against Alonso when the car didnt matter, i.e it rained... thought so, not even close.

Webber? Shumacher? Toro Rossos stumbling over each other to see who gets out of the way quicker?

whatever you want to believe, but the informed opinion has a clear view on who the better driver was this year; and it is not even close. You know well your brat child of a driver owes his titles to Newey... if not, let us know how he did against Alonso when the car didnt matter, i.e it rained... thought so, not even close.

There was something someone once said when Alonso won his first title while Kimi won the driver of the year award. It goes something like this. I have walked ten years from now into the future and looked back at the wall of champions! When I looked at the year 2012 I saw the name of the youngest 3 times consecutive world champion, the 1st loser all but forgotten... I hope this isn't too profound for you

profound? not at all; besides the point? entirely. I do not think i was disputing that fact that Vettel won; nor that nobody will care about who came second in 2012 ten years from now... however, asking you to follow a path of logical reasoning appears utterly pointless. your being unable to recognise facts staring you at the face says a lot about you. lets try again, could answer these simple questions for me?

How many drivers moved out of the way in Brazil to let Vettel through? and Alnso?

How did Vettel and Alonso compare in GPs where it reined this year?

take your time

profound? not at all; besides the point? entirely. I do not think i was disputing that fact that Vettel won; nor that nobody will care about who came second in 2012 ten years from now... however, asking you to follow a path of logical reasoning appears utterly pointless. your being unable to recognise facts staring you at the face says a lot about you. lets try again, could answer these simple questions for me?

How many drivers moved out of the way in Brazil to let Vettel through? and Alnso?

take your time

When u learn to spell the word rain or rained, as in past tense, correctly I might think of answering you. Right now the bed is calling. So, just to remind you once more, here for your amusement... Sebastian Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever.....

Nothing wrong with a bit of spleen venting. I disagree with every word, but thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thanks, Cav.

This is exactly how I feel.

When u learn to spell the word rain or rained, as in past tense, correctly I might think of answering you. Right now the bed is calling. So, just to remind you once more, here for your amusement... Sebastian Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever.....

Yes, yes, whatever dude, but when you are done cleaning the mess in your bed from your wet dreams, pls answer the questions.

Yes, yes, whatever dude, but when you are done cleaning the mess in your bed from your wet dreams, pls answer the questions.

Your questions are really irrelevant. The wunderkind has proven his worth, he has beaten an over-inflated driver who inherited 2 championships and cries mommy to the team principal when things does'nt go his way. One can but imagine how Alonso's failed championship attempt will break his spirits. Never will he reign again as champion, his time is passed and over.

But now...I leave you with good inspiring words to reflect upon.... Sebastian Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever. Heil Heil!!!

I hope you feel inspired!!!

1. Vettel won the championship

2. Alonso did not win the championship

3. Both had good support from their teams

4. It is impossible to say who the better driver is because F1 is a team sport

5. Vettel did not always have the best car

6. Alonso did not always have the best car.

7. Other things that try to dilute the petty arguments and mud slinging.

Your questions are really irrelevant. The wunderkind has proven his worth, he has beaten an over-inflated driver who inherited 2 championships and cries mommy to the team principal when things does'nt go his way. One can but imagine how Alonso's failed championship attempt will break his spirits. Never will he reign again as champion, his time is passed and over.

But now...I leave you with good inspiring words to reflect upon.... Sebastian Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever. Heil Heil!!!

You are way better than this. Please get a grip and write good things again. No wonder the excellent, objective wordsmiths only pop in on rare occasion.

In all seriousness, do not underestimate the impact of futile childish jibe on this once great forum, which was once full of juicy and inspiring thought, but now resembles a melon that's been sat in the desert for a number of weeks.

Please, continue.

1. Vettel won the championship

2. Alonso did not win the championship

3. Both had good support from their teams

4. It is impossible to say who the better driver is because F1 is a team sport

5. Vettel did not always have the best car

6. Alonso did not always have the best car.

7. Other things that try to dilute the petty arguments and mud slinging.

and I agree!

Who is this who derives great pleasure in petty arguments and mud-slinging??...they should be castrated!!!

You are way better than this. Please get a grip and write good things again. No wonder the excellent, objective wordsmiths only pop in on rare occasion.

In all seriousness, do not underestimate the impact of futile childish jibe on this once great forum, which was once full of juicy and inspiring thought, but now resembles a melon that's been sat in the desert for a number of weeks.

Please, continue.

Come on Steve, just having fun...

I have said numerous times how impressive Alonso has driven this year, and I stand by it.

So now my questions are irrelevant? It was the whole point, to talk about racing. You are the one diverting the discussion to my spelling skills. So, I see you refuse to answer, but do not worry, we don’t need you too as the whole world knows the answers. Do I feel inspired by "Newey/Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever"? Nope.

But this does do it for me:

Yes, it is Alonso in Hungary 20006 (Before DRS and blown diffusers), and the red car being passed on the outside is Schumacher (Before DRS and blown diffusers). Show me anything even close to it from Vettel and I will have a new found respect for him, maybe even feel inspired.

And by the way, had Petrov done in Abu Dhabi what your great Schumacher did on Sunday, Newey/Vettel wouldn’t even have the three world championships that inspire you so much.

So now my questions are irrelevant? It was the whole point, to talk about racing. You are the one diverting the discussion to my spelling skills. So, I see you refuse to answer, but do not worry, we don’t need you too as the whole world knows the answers. Do I feel inspired by "Newey/Vettel, the youngest 3 times consecutive champion ever"? Nope.

And by the way, had Petrov done in Abu Dhabi what your great Schumacher did on Sunday, Newey/Vettel wouldn’t even have the three world championships that inspire you so much.

hehehehehehehe, ok enough now, I'm done entertaining you...

In any case, this debate will never really get us anywhere ipaneda, as I said I was just pushing buttons and abit of winding-up for old times sake and this is propably the only thing I meant in this thread...

There couldnt be more of poetic justice after they shoved Kimi aside. Luca and Stefano, I congratulate you....WELL DESERVED!

and this because I personally feel an injustice towards my favourite driver Kimi

But this does do it for me:

Yes, it is Alonso in Hungary 20006 (Before DRS and blown diffusers), and the red car being passed on the outside is Schumacher (Before DRS and blown diffusers). Show me anything even close to it from Vettel and I will have a new found respect for him, maybe even feel inspired.

You could say that if Alonso had just had the balls and skill to overtake Petrov, then Newey/Vettel would not have 3 world championships. Neither statement is correct, however. If Schumi did not want to interfere with the title battle in his last race ever in F1, I think he has earnt the right to do so. If you want to call that bitterness against Alonso, then you are more than welcome to do so.

Regarding overtakes, Vettel has made plenty this year. Maybe none look as spectacular, off the top of my head, but should not diminish from the skill involved. His overtake on Button in the last race, for example, was supremly skilful from both drivers. One overtake does not make a driver, otherwise we we ould be lamenting about Webber for his overtake on Alonso through Eau Rouge, again an example of tremendous skill from both drivers.

This does not detract from the fact that Alonso has been immense this year. When there has been a great battle for the title, there is always going to be a loser. It was Alonso this time, so what? It's disappointing if you are an Alonso fan, but surely you don't have to try and detract from Vettel's achievement to justify how good Alonso has been this year?

Regarding Vettel winning it, congratulations to him. I think I might have preferred Alonso to win it this year at the end (once Schumi, Hamilton, Kimi & Button were out of the running, of course :whistling:), but I wasn't too bothered either way. Vettel has been excellent this year too. Both him and Alonso have beaten their team mates quite extensively, which should counter any failure, preferential treatment arguments, etc that can be levelled at them.

There was something someone once said when Alonso won his first title while Kimi won the driver of the year award. It goes something like this. I have walked ten years from now into the future and looked back at the wall of champions! When I looked at the year 2012 I saw the name of the youngest 3 times consecutive world champion, the 1st loser all but forgotten... I hope this isn't too profound for you

I don't know if anyone else noticed that Webber actually finished ahead of Vettel, they didn't even needed to tell Webber to slow down and let Vettel by to defeat the dirty trick players.

take your time

Was taht question limited just to Brazil or the whole championship? cause I rememeber Perez moving aside for Alonso....

hehehehehehehe, ok enough now, I'm done entertaining you...

In any case, this debate will never really get us anywhere ipaneda, as I said I was just pushing buttons and abit of winding-up for old times sake and this is propably the only thing I meant in this thread...

and this because I personally feel an injustice towards my favourite driver Kimi

It hasn't gone unnoticed that Kimi finishing ahead of Alonso/Ferrari in Abu Dhabi has a certain irony to it.

It hasn't gone unnoticed that Kimi finishing ahead of Alonso/Ferrari in Abu Dhabi has a certain irony to it.

Yeah but he didn't finish ahead of him in the championship standings...

Yeah but he didn't finish ahead of him in the championship standings...

Aye, but you could say that Abu Dhabi result cost Alonso/Ferrari their WDC, if you were looking at it from a "Ferrari screwed Kimi" sort of way.

Aye, but you could say that Abu Dhabi result cost Alonso/Ferrari their WDC, if you were looking at it from a "Ferrari screwed Kimi" sort of way.

I see, yeah that makes me feel better, but only slightly lol

Well, hopefully the Coca-Cola deal is the start of good things for Lotus and Kimi in 2013. It seems they had a genuinely good concept for their car this year, they just didn't develop it that well or got sidetracked on other issues.

I read on JA's website that Lotus aren't aiming higher for next year, something about "a car that consistently takes podiums". Kimi did that pretty well this year (even if some races weren't amazing). It's the last thing I would expect from them, after all they are always trying to leave an impression of a team with fresh prospects and even if it's not 100% realistic they should keep a tone of optimism and improvement.

Team Poochie for the win!