Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

2013 Preseason Predictions

It's a GPT tradition to start this earlier than anyone could make any reasonable prediction (rather than later, when we'd still make unreasonable predictions).

Vettel? Alonso? Räikkönen? Button? Someone else? Tell us everything you see happening in 2013.

There will be no 2013...the only prediction of note is that the world will end on 21st December this year....as predicted some several hundred years ago.

Spark Note: Did you know that the Mayan's predicted that a great bull would champion the world for three years?

There will be no 2013...the only prediction of note is that the world will end on 21st December this year....as predicted some several hundred years ago.

Spark Note: Did you know that the Mayan's predicted that a great bull would champion the world for three years?

Unfortunately they said it would be an aussie bull ...

and my tip must surely go to the only man who will win it ... Pic. They have a new project in place involving a space/time continum drive!

My two cents:

I see Ferrari being very strong. Massa, I have to admit, still has his place in this team and he seems to be back to his old form. He might even be in the fight for the threee first places of the WDC. He really impressed me in the last races.

They will have the best car, with Red Bull and Mac, and another team might join them at the top.

There will be no domination.

Going by logic (a sure way to fail), you'd have to say Mclaren and Red Bull have had the best interpretation of the rules this year, in terms of producing a fast car. Mclaren in particular have been really fast, and Red Bull have worked hard to claw back a lot of their speed after regulation changes aimed at slowing them down.

To me, that says that next year (given relatively stable regulations) should be a RB v Mclaren battle. Both of them need to improve their reliability, though, and I expect that to happen. Button will have to up his game a lot, especially in qualifying, if he wants to challenge Vettel. To be honest, unless Mclaren build a dominant car, I'd be surprised to see Button beat the Vettel/Red Bull combo.

Alonso needs a faster car in qualifying, plain and simple, and probably a faster one in the races too. Why? Because this year was the "lottery" year and next year the Pirelli's will be much more of a known quantity, it seems. That means less randomness and more people hitting their optimal performance, and therefore less opportunity for Alonso's skills to shine if he hasn't got a top 2 car. Unfortunately it also means probably a less exciting season for us, with fewer winners.

Mercedes? Given recent performance levels I'd be surprised to see a huge change. Hamilton will drag impressive results out of it but I don't expect him regularly on the podium.

Overall, with LH sidelined, question marks over whether Button can deliver another truly "top tier" season, I can only see that Vettel's 4th title looms large. Only Ferrari's design department can stop it...

Ferrari back Felipe Massa next year. They were quick to abandon a guy who won a championship; imagine what they'll do to a guy who lost one! ;)

Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull won't face the two big challenges of 2012: being unable to build any kind of advantage with the bizarre (wonderfully so) start to the season, and having the rules interpretations specifically targeted toward their car (okay, fine, they probably will face that challenge :lol:).

Basically, Vettel and Red Bull have won in three seasons which were totally different. I don't see a return to 2011's dominance, but I think they might be a little more comfortable in 2013. Will Ferrari and McLaren get off to such terrible starts? No. But will Vettel have such a stretch without a podium as he did this year? No. The solid results of teams like Mercedes, Sauber, Williams, etc. earlier in the season hurt Red Bull more than anyone because they don't normally have races where they are defeated by those particular teams, whereas McLaren and especially today's Ferrari are more prone to that. So, the "lottery" as it has been called created weirder circumstances for Red Bull than any other team.

Vettel wins it from Button. I'd expect to see at least five race winners (Vettel, Button, Räikkönen, Alonso, Webber). Wouldn't be surprised if Pérez got a win as the world plays witness to his studies, which will range from moments of brilliance to questions of why they didn't sign Our Paul (I wonder if di Resta will still be a top prospect if Scotland leaves the United Kingdom :P) or Hülkenberg. Hamilton will remind us why we ever cared about him at the start of it all, but he'll be doing so from a position that's not very great. The field is way too deep right now to rely on driver alone.

Basically, I don't disagree with George.

Given the cars are hardly changing, it might be more of the same.

Although I fear given the stability of the rules Red Bull will possibly have the advantage over everyone again. But only really Pirelli know. The tyres will once again dictate how close the championship is.

Expecting the Vettel/Alonso rivalry to continue. McLaren will be there or thereabouts, but won't win as many race as as they have this year. Perez may get a victory if things go well, perhaps one for Grosjean if he can complete the opening five laps without ****ing up. Be interesting to see if Hulkenberg can put in some strong performances too.

Also, am I right in saying James Key has moved to Toro Rosso? Given this year's Sauber was a Key design, they could perhaps take a step up. I'll continue to find it interesting to see how Ricciardo/Vergne compare - they have something to aim for in 2014 if Webber retires/Vettel moves on to Ferrari.

Bottas will be the revelation of the season and be proclaimed as the next future star.

Grosjean will not win a GP.

Massa will suck for the first 1/2 or 2/3 of the season for reasons unknown.

Massa will be forced to retire at the end of the season (more of a hope there).

Ferrari will make a better car for the start of the season but it still won't be "up there" because, let's face it, Red Bull has both the genius and the experience.

Hamilton will win a race (why not, just for kicks).

This for a start. I'm not sure I'd ever dare to guess on the outcome of the championship. Anyways, I hope Bottas is the revelation of the season (I need a new Finn to support in preparation for the future). And, I don't see what's so good about Di Resta. Hülkenberg has impressed me way more this season (just don't ask me when, the general impression doesn't lie :P)

I hope Lotus give Kimi at least the 2nd fastest car next year. If they do, he's in with a good chance.

Likewise, if Ferrari give Nando the same thing, it's a safe bet to see him winning #3.

McLaren is out of the picture, as Jenson's nowhere in Lewis's league. Horner is right about Macca not being that big a threat next year.

Since rules are more or less the same, it'll be one of Seb, Kimi & Nando.

I expect for 2013...

- a lot of fun with Hamilton in an indomitable Mercedes

- a good season for Button, another title for Vettel

- Massa's come back to the F1 drivers world

- Great Red Bull dominance as there won't be major changes

- McLaren best of the rest

- Alonso will lose faith in Ferrari if they are unable to produce a fast car soon

- Lotus will have a good car, Ferrari won't

- A boring championship with some good races like 2011

- Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Bottas, Maldonado, Pérez... Watch out!

Massa could end up in top 3 in WDC standings.

You mean at some point during the year, right? :whistling:

What's interesting to note is that we've seen 2 sides of Perez this year. For most of the year, the Button like anonymous, tyre saving, changeable condition relying pre Macca announcement Perez, and the Suzuka onwards post announcement agressive, pushing hard thus making more mistakes Perez.

Something tells me that branding him, as we do, as Button-like may not be the full story just quite yet...

Unless the Macca is dominant, which it will not be, it would be hard for Jenson to consistently challenge for the wins. The Joker in the pack next season I believe, would be Perez and I think he will play a role in making Vettel's 4th title either a stroll in the park, or a close battle.

Other wild cards would be Lotus (depends whether they retain their current performance -they should) and Hamilton (even if the car is crap- which it will be, probably tongue.png )

Ferarri will probably not bother too much about 2013. I think they would focus more on 2014 while making appropriate noises to the fans while culling a few heads over the winter

Then again, I could be wrong and Narain wins the championship with a dominant HRT tongue.png

Boring season.

Vettel will be champion again

Alonso will whine again

Hamilton will whine MORE because now he REALLY won't have a decent car

People still won't understand what Button says on his radio messages

Perez will win a race IF he can finish a race

No one will notice Glock is driving, as usual.

Boring season.

Vettel will be champion again

Alonso will whine again

Hamilton will whine MORE because now he REALLY won't have a decent car

People still won't understand what Button says on his radio messages

Perez will win a race IF he can finish a race

No one will notice Glock is driving, as usual.

And Alonso and Hamilton will again compliment each other and conspire to play mind-games against Vettel

then Alonso will again turn to Samurai philosophy to appease the fans, and for Hamilton it will be enough just to win another race ahead of vettel

Button of course will be nowhere...

I forgot one: Maldonado will keep on getting penalties every couple of races.

Let's see how wrong this looks in November 2013 (probably looks wrong to many of you already :lol:)...

1. Vettel

2. Button

3. Räikkönen

4. Alonso

5. Massa

6. Webber

7. Grosjean

8. Hamilton

9. Pérez

10. Hülkenberg

11. Maldonado

12. Rosberg

13. Bottas

14. di Resta

15. Force India (Sutil)

16. Vergne

17. Ricciardo

18. Gutiérrez

19. Caterham (Petrov)

20. Glock

21. Caterham (Pic)

22. Chilton

1. Red Bull

2. Ferrari

3. Lotus

4. McLaren

5. Mercedes

6. Williams

7. Force India

8. Sauber

9. Toro Rosso

10. Caterham

11. Marussia

looks quite acceptable to me, except id rank massa a little lower, at least below webber.

btw what happened to the forum name?

I like the new name. Maybe now that we're GPT, we'll trick new members into signing up, or more old members into returning. Though I guess when they see the forum feed on the sidebar on the main page, and see "Massa posted on a thread about freaking stock car racing" at the top, they'll stay away. :P

Still the same good site and forum. I just need to turn typing "gptoday.com" into the same thoughtless habit the old domain was for me, having typed it just about first thing every day for the last six years. :lol:

I like the new name. Maybe now that we're GPT, we'll trick new members into signing up, or more old members into returning. Though I guess when they see the forum feed on the sidebar on the main page, and see "Massa posted on a thread about freaking stock car racing" at the top, they'll stay away. tongue.png

Still the same good site and forum. I just need to turn typing "gptoday.com" into the same thoughtless habit the old domain was for me, having typed it just about first thing every day for the last six years. laugh.png

You need a bookmarks/favourites bar tongue.png Big time saver!

I like the new name, too.