Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

The Off Season Thread

Different fans cope with the winter break for motorsport differently than others. For me, I personally love going through YouTube and re-watching some action, some from recently, others from not so recently. I thought to pass time by till it all starts again, it might be a good idea to have a thread to post your favourite racing videos.

Here are some of my favourites:

By the time a thread full of embedded videos loads for some of us, the off-season will be over. ;)

Here's a great one from 1994. I grew up watching USAC Thunder; started the week I was born, apparently. Some really thrilling driving from P.J. Jones in this 15 minute race, and a good battle at the end. A year earlier, Jones won the Daytona 24 and set the Lime Rock track record (which still stands) in a Group C IMSA GTP Eagle Toyota. Pretty badass, I would think, to drive the world's coolest sports cars and USAC midgets (Jones raced literally everything in this country). His father is exactly who you think.

No coincidence, I think, that a race like that was exciting. You had 6-cylinder engines and 8-cylinder engines, Goodyear tires and Hoosier tires, all kinds of different chassis (visibly different, too), etc. USAC's awesome stuff.

This is one of my all-time favorite races. I wish the entire thing had been uploaded because there was more to it than just the end. What do you know? Another race where you had different engines, chassis, tires, etc. Weird... ;)

The official ALMS YouTube channel has some great stuff on it. This is part one from this year's Sebring race:

And the V8 Supercars channel also uploads races in full:

:lol: Really no way to stop those BTCC guys if they want to get through, is there?

Here's a full race, 90 minutes and change. A real classic from the greatest era of American championship racing. Contains Nigel Mansell.

A video to remind us just how woderfuol this last season was. To find this kind and quality of action in past "legendary" seasons you will need to consolidate at least a couple, and add some badass hardcore music to make it look fierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6IVvlXfvfOc

Indeed. Damn fine wheel control in some of them. People tend to dismiss them on the grounds of "bah, just another DRS overtake", which is true for many, but still you have plenty of balls out there. And in the "golden eighties", for example, if you had a turbo-powered car, racing against a normally aspirated car was almost invariably as hard to overtake as racing with an RB8 with DRS available all track against your mother's bycicle. If you take the wheels of her bycicle first.

There were exceptions (famous ones ;)) of course, but you know what I mean (I hope!)

Nice to see this thread is full of good videos already.

I personally like some of GoPro's motorsport videos. This one in particular is very nice:

Some great videos here, the Patrese and his wife one especially! I like watching old races and was happy to see the official MotoGP YouTube channel upload the 1996 Spanish GP the other day (can you imagine FOM ever doing that?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkAKN1I-784

Also, stumbled across this rather odd meeting:

Also, stumbled across this rather odd meeting:

I already knew the Patrese video and is one of my favorites. But I loved the Tatcher vs Prost :lol: For a guy that drove a very fragile car at 300+ km/h on dangerous conditions without flinching, watching him scared Sh#tless by the Iron Lady is funny at so many levels! Talk abou awkward moments!

Oh, and who is the guy with so much hair and oily smile we can see talking to Tatcher at first? Becuse I cannot think of anybody like that at McLaren...:P