Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Bahrain Grand Prix

Another weekend, another race. Three winners in three cars so far. I don't quite think Mercedes (or anyone else) is strong enough to add a fourth constructor this weekend, though we'll see what surprises can happen. It's been an enjoyable season so far. What do we all expect for the race?

They should cancel the race IMO. Too many crazies around there. May be the Boston (next door to me, in Montreal) tragedy is getting to me...

It does feel like I've fallen through some time portal back to 2012. Nothing has changed and the same things are being said by the same people.

It does seem like this race is more trouble than it is worth.

It does feel like I've fallen through some time portal back to 2012. Nothing has changed and the same things are being said by the same people.

It does seem like this race is more trouble than it is worth.

Quite like the circuit and it has given a few good races but the political backdrop is pretty grim.

They should cancel the race IMO. Too many crazies around there. May be the Boston (next door to me, in Montreal) tragedy is getting to me...

The Boston events made me think about the Bahrain Grand Prix, too. I guess with Boston being so close (used to live in the city, immediate family presently works there), it made all the things I hear about going on around the world a lot more real. They've fortunately run the races (F1, GP2, WEC) without issues, but I do question the risk involved in it. It can all go wrong in a "safe" place; that alone makes it hard to imagine going to ones with an elevated probability of an incident.

I guess I'll just assume the race is happening, and enjoy the race because it's happening. I definitely have more questions this time around than I did before, though, with my perspective a bit jarred by yesterday. It's no longer an abstraction, and I feel bad that I ever treated it as one.

Quite like the circuit and it has given a few good races but the political backdrop is pretty grim.

Yeah, I like the track too (I know others don't...but I think it has a lot of redeeming features). I guess I wish it had been built elsewhere.

Ah come on guys ('n' gals) you must be losing your touch, I was expecting at least one of you to say: "yes it's true, you do look like a giant penis...." biggrin.png

:lol:

Heikki Kovalainen rejoins Caterham as the reserve driver. He'll do the first free practice. It will be interesting to see if he can find anything in the car that Pic and van der Garde have not found. I don't even think Pic is by any means bad, so I wonder if the Caterham is just super inferior this year.

Rodolfo Gonzales will also make his F1 debut in FP1 for Marussia. The cheque must have cleared.

The guy has literally done nothing other than keep Dallara's spares department busy in the last few years of GP2...

This track has been good for the Ferraris so far.

However Red Bull did a good job last year.

The Lotus in Kimi's hands seem quite handy too.

What I'm saying is that I don't think anybody knows the form card going into the weekend, and don't look too much into qualifying pace to even begin to predict the outcome. But given recent evidence we can conclude

Mercedes will do well in qualifying, then march backwards slightly as is traditional with them

McLaren will probably finish 5th and 8th

Force India will at one point go up to 3rd at least, and then pit, simultaneously ruining kimi/alonso/sebastian's (who just pitted) strategy and also go on to a tyre choice that will guarantee disappointment to sutil/di rezzie

Jules Bianchi will continue to impress

The Lotus in Kimi's hands seem quite handy too.

If Kimi wins this one, he's in with a real chance for the championship I feel, he needs to wins another race early this year

Rodolfo Gonzales will also make his F1 debut in FP1 for Marussia. The cheque must have cleared.

The guy has literally done nothing other than keep Dallara's spares department busy in the last few years of GP2...

The thing that bothers me about it has less to do with González and more to do with the fact Marussia has two rookie drivers. They really don't need to be sitting Bianchi out for practices. He needs all the time he can get. GP2 laps at the circuit aren't F1 laps at the circuit. I don't care if Juan Manuel Fangio is getting in the car for FP1; Bianchi and Chilton both need the seat time. Note how Bianchi wasn't very fast in FP2; look at his FP1 times from the past three rounds and compare them to FP2. He takes FP1 to get comfortable, and then starts being awesome from FP2 onward. Now, he's a session back. I don't like that, because I always fall in love with whichever French junior formula graduate is the next big thing.

If Kimi wins this one, he's in with a real chance for the championship I feel, he needs to wins another race early this year

Yeah, agreed. You have to be opportunistic. Look at Button and Brawn, or Alonso in early 2006 before Schumacher really caught up. Win while the Lotus is a winning car, and gain on Red Bull while they're still working their way back up to the Red Bull we know we'll see soon enough. From there, you just hope Ferrari go back to using their own wind tunnel to furnish Alonso's future cars. :P

Really going to be a thrill if we can have Vettel, Räikkönen, and Alonso all in it for the title this year. Three champions, three different cars...

...but watch out for Mercedes and McLaren, when discussing the title. No, they will not win the championships. They won't be in the running for the championships at any point this year. But they could be spoilers. If you get to the last half of 2013 and Hamilton, Rosberg, Button, or Pérez can take wins (or even just spots on the podium), that makes it harder for whoever is P2 to gain points on P1 (obviously). I think that's part of what happened in 2009. Button and Brawn had the big lead, and then McLaren and Ferrari recovered to an extent that in the season's last half, they took the biggest prizes in races that would have been key for Vettel to win. Had McLaren and Ferrari stayed as weak as they started, would Button have won? Don't know. So, that's another big deal, I think. Mercedes and McLaren, if they improve, might decide it for the three big contenders, as opposed to the three deciding it amongst themselves.

Should be a good one.

Kimi may win Bahrain with the 2 Ferraris giving him a good chase

Welcome to the forum. The Lotus looked nice in Bahrain last year, too. A battle between Räikkönen and Alonso for the race win would be fun, since they were the kings when I first got into F1 (which happened to be with the Bahrain Grand Prix, my first race). Still, no matter what the time sheets say, I really have a hard time counting Vettel out of any race. Not after Abu Dhabi. Not after Brazil. Not after last weekend.

F1's so exciting. :)

Oh, no! They are actually laughing together! This sport is a farce. I am not going to watch it anymore and start collecting stamps.

FFS!

biggrin.png

We all know you already collect stamps.

Welcome to the forum. The Lotus looked nice in Bahrain last year, too. A battle between Räikkönen and Alonso for the race win would be fun, since they were the kings when I first got into F1 (which happened to be with the Bahrain Grand Prix, my first race). Still, no matter what the time sheets say, I really have a hard time counting Vettel out of any race. Not after Abu Dhabi. Not after Brazil. Not after last weekend.

F1's so exciting. smile.png

thbup.gif

I wish I had collected stamps. Those things have really gone up in price. Great investment.

My brother was a big stamp collector in the 80's, wondered what happened to his collection, I should follow upbiggrin.png