Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

So When Will Pirelli Bring Better Tires ?

Furious Mateschitz meets with Ecclestone

Monday 13th May 2013, 13:42 by TF1T Staff

Dietrich_Mateschitz_2010_90.jpg

© Red Bull Racing, Getty Images

Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz held an hour-long meeting with Bernie Ecclestone immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix to express his anger at the current tyre situation which has gripped the sport.

The billionaire is believed to have demanded changes to the current tyres, despite a recent change to the hard compound prompted by complaints from Red Bull.

Mateschitz claims his team is being severly disadvantaged by the high wearing tyres which is forcing his drivers to lap slower than they ultimately could to save rubber.

"Real car racing looks different," he told Autosport after his meeting with Ecclestone. "Under the given circumstances, we can neither get the best out of our car nor our drivers.

"There is no more real qualifying and fighting for the pole, as everyone is just saving tyres for the race.

"If we would make the best of our car we would have to stop eight or ten times during a race, depending on the track."

With the majority of cars having to stop four times in Spain, once more than Pirelli's target, he says the Italian supplier has gone too aggressive with their compounds.

"Yes, it was the target to get more excitement into the races by more stops for tyre changes, but not that much," he added.

"This is now a different situation from the original intention."

Waaaah! We are leading the championship but baby Vettel is not winning every raacce by a country mile! Waaah! This is a farce! Wahhh!

:meh:

Awesome. They should use those types of tyres in the next race, they might go faster :whistling:

I don't know if it is just my jaded memory, but the tyres seemed ok last year. Aside from the odd race, where they may have got the compounds wrong, but I don't really think anything needed changing, if indeed it has. I know they did similar numbers of stops last year, but it seemed as though drivers were able to push much more and to do the same number of stops. Maybe it's just my perception.

i was right all along rule.gif

now pirreli admits and will change thier eraser-type sub-parr tires the_finger.gif

------

Formula One News » F1 2013 – Pirelli to change tyre compound from Canadian Grand Prix Posted on 14/05/2013

Pirelli-2.jpg

Pirelli who admitted 4 pit stops at the 2013 Spanish grand prix was too much have said they will change their tyre structures to incorporate some of the characteristics of the 2011/2012 tyres.

Paul Hembery of Pirelli told Autosport: “We never intended for there to be four-stop races, so we are going to make construction changes to the tyres.

“We will be taking some of the design of the 2013 tyres, but also some of the elements of the 2011 and 2012 products that served us so well during that period.

“We want to go back to having two or three stop races.”

“They have basically been stressing everything far too much, and probably we underestimated the performance, we cannot test with the current cars, and all we have access to is a 2010 Renault that laps four or five seconds slower than the current F1 cars do on a Sunday.

“So it was a combination of factors that have come together. We didn’t want to make too many dramatic changes, and we do not want to penalise those teams that have taken a design direction to look after the tyres.

“Equally, we had to do something to improve the situation.”

“The failures were visually spectacular, even though the tyre stayed inflated, it was a type of failure not seen in F1 before, and it was something we don’t like.

“It also helped stoke up opinions in the media, which influenced what the fans thought.”

Honestly, the tyre situation is getting ridiculous.

Drivers can't even do one full Quali lap at 100% let alone a race of 60+ laps with these tyres. The thing I don't understand is how Pirrelli ever thought it would be a good idea to go along with this whole "make the tyres fail for fun"" strategy. I'm no PR expert but even I can tell you the biggest looser is Pirrelli. Yesterday I bought new tyres for my car. I had the choice between four different sets. One from Micheline, one from Bridgestone, one from Goodyear and one from Pirrelli.

All cost within $25 for the entire set. All are practically the same performance wise, especially in San Diego where 95% of the time it is dry and the 5 days a year it rains summer tyres are perfectly fine. So really I had before me only one thing to choose from, and that was company name. So how do I choose. I for one sure don't go for the company who decides it is a good idea to supply tyres for the fastest road course cars in the world that disintegrate on live TV not once, but twice in the span of 24 hours.

Sure Pirrelli can say they were asked to make such tyres but at what point does that argument get outweighed by, "if the IFA tell you to jump off a bridge would you do it?" If I were Pirrelli CEO would fire Hembry because he is bringing Pirrelli into disrepute with his idiocy.

Honestly, the tyre situation is getting ridiculous.

Drivers can't even do one full Quali lap at 100% let alone a race of 60+ laps with these tyres. The thing I don't understand is how Pirrelli ever thought it would be a good idea to go along with this whole "make the tyres fail for fun"" strategy. I'm no PR expert but even I can tell you the biggest looser is Pirrelli. Yesterday I bought new tyres for my car. I had the choice between four different sets. One from Micheline, one from Bridgestone, one from Goodyear and one from Pirrelli.

All cost within $25 for the entire set. All are practically the same performance wise, especially in San Diego where 95% of the time it is dry and the 5 days a year it rains summer tyres are perfectly fine. So really I had before me only one thing to choose from, and that was company name. So how do I choose. I for one sure don't go for the company who decides it is a good idea to supply tyres for the fastest road course cars in the world that disintegrate on live TV not once, but twice in the span of 24 hours.

Sure Pirrelli can say they were asked to make such tyres but at what point does that argument get outweighed by, "if the IFA tell you to jump off a bridge would you do it?" If I were Pirrelli CEO would fire Hembry because he is bringing Pirrelli into disrepute with his idiocy.

Finally someone understands "tires and racing" around here icon2_flag.gif

What I don't get is the so called racing fans applauding the move to sabotage teams that designed their cars to within the specifications and tools supplied. Ferrari, lotus and F India did a good job at interpreting the data and making the best design calls available.

True, blaming Pirelli on safety concerns is justified, but advocating for different tyres just because your team made a mistake in figuring the best way around the problem is shameful. I just hope that teams and fans can grow up and take things on the chin instead of calling mummy to save them.

Once again, the tyre issue is due to the teams, not Pirelli

What I don't get is the so called racing fans applauding the move to sabotage teams that designed their cars to within the specifications and tools supplied. Ferrari, lotus and F India did a good job at interpreting the data and making the best design calls available.

True, blaming Pirelli on safety concerns is justified, but advocating for different tyres just because your team made a mistake in figuring the best way around the problem is shameful. I just hope that teams and fans can grow up and take things on the chin instead of calling mummy to save them.

Once again, the tyre issue is due to the teams, not Pirelli

WOw, I just made a very similar post on another thread. Are you me? :eusa_think:

WOw, I just made a very similar post on another thread. Are you me? eusa_think.gif

Not sure about that. But are you really you? Can you prove it? To yourself? eusa_think.gif

Not sure about that. But are you really you? Can you prove it? To yourself? eusa_think.gif

Good point. Let me see...if I am me then what number am I thinking of now?

7?

Ha! Loooooser!

Wait... eusa_think.gif

Is this an actual safety issue or is the championship not going according to script?

Who am I kidding. If rules of the game need to be changed once the season has gotten under way...

Old times.

EDIT: Can't type.

Andres, err... It takes a bit of explaining... I'm surprised mom didn't tell you....

Andres, err... It takes a bit of explaining... I'm surprised mom didn't tell you....

B-brother?!?!?

Mum never told me much, she usually just left the bucket with fish heads at the door in the attic without a word and then she would leave.

So we were told Pirelli would be taking the new tyres to Canada, seems they are but only to allow the teams two sets each for Friday practice. They will run the race on the same spec tyres as they've used all season. I could see this being an issue as it's a high tyre wear circuit as far as I recall. Of course if it rains then it will be a different story and the last two years it has so I think.

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107752