Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

So When Will Pirelli Bring Better Tires ?

1. Will Pirelli be censured for changing tyre compounds without consultation or notice with and to customers and the FIA. Answer? No. It will bugger up Bernie's illegal backhander from them. 2. Will Pirelli lose their contract because they have already had a warning from WMSC and broke the rules again at Silverstone? No. It will bugger up Bernie's illegal backhander from them. Will Jean Todt allow Pirelli to do just what the hell they like in the future? Yes, because Bernie has the WMSC in his pocket and will continue to support the spineless frog. Will the sport be hugely damaged by the continuing farce regarding tyres and the FIA's complete failure to get a grip on it? Only a very stupid person would say it won't.

1. Will Pirelli be censured for changing tyre compounds without consultation or notice with and to customers and the FIA. Answer? No. It will bugger up Bernie's illegal backhander from them. 2. Will Pirelli lose their contract because they have already had a warning from WMSC and broke the rules again at Silverstone? No. It will bugger up Bernie's illegal backhander from them. Will Jean Todt allow Pirelli to do just what the hell they like in the future? Yes, because Bernie has the WMSC in his pocket and will continue to support the spineless frog. Will the sport be hugely damaged by the continuing farce regarding tyres and the FIA's complete failure to get a grip on it? Only a very stupid person would say it won't.

Have I missed something? Did Pirelli change the compound for the Silverstone Grand Prix?

So they're taking tyres with kevlar belts to Germany and then going back to the 2012 spec tyres after that for Hungary. Current drivers are going to be allowed to join the young driver tests and this has to be sorted out ASAP. It's amazing how seriously they're taking it now compared to just a few races ago isn't it?

As usual, it takes an accident or close to an accident to make things move. Fernando was really lucky this time.

Analysis from Autosport suggests a number of factors, mainly related to two areas of the circuit that could damage the tyre, and the fact Pirelli are using steel instead of kevlar in the tyre this year. http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108479

We didn't see these problems last year when they used kevlar, so perhaps if the proposed change to kevlar that was attempted for Canada had gone through, we wouldn't have seen these problems.

In any case if all of that's true I suppose it has to boil down to a Pirelli issue not a Pirelli plus Silverstone issue, because if the Silverstone kerbs wouldn't cut the tyres last year, then the kerbs are ultimately acceptable to race on. Therefore, it's up to Pirelli to bring a tyre that can race on them. They did that last year, they obviously got it wrong this year.

Of course, you can't actually lay all of that blame on Pirelli if you bother following F1 in any detail, because Pirelli don't exist in a system where they are fully in control of what tyres they bring. They are limited by a bunch of FIA regulations which don't help them, and the fact teams blocked changes to their tyres which likely would have prevented the problems in Silverstone.

Sub-par tyres? Yes, on safety grounds, now you can say it and it means something. Why? Sub-par regulation of tyres by the teams and the FIA. A higher level of fault, I would venture, than merely attempting to change a tyre from using a kevlar belt to a steel belt from one year to the next.

That analysis is worth treating with caution, of course. We still have to wait for Pirelli.

And for the next controversy: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108499

The FIA are allowing race drivers at the test, but they won't be able to carry out development work, only tyre work. So the FIA will be checking. That sounds problematic to me and I can't say I understand the logic of it. Maybe it's easy for FIA observers to know what a race driver and team are working on, it just doesn't sound like it is.

That analysis is worth treating with caution, of course. We still have to wait for Pirelli.

And for the next controversy: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108499

The FIA are allowing race drivers at the test, but they won't be able to carry out development work, only tyre work. So the FIA will be checking. That sounds problematic to me and I can't say I understand the logic of it. Maybe it's easy for FIA observers to know what a race driver and team are working on, it just doesn't sound like it is.

Is this the same FIA who had no idea about a 1000km test?? whistling.gif

Is this the same FIA who had no idea about a 1000km test?? whistling.gif

Hey! The FIA obsrevers at Barcelona said that they actually suspected something fishy when after three days none of the Merc and Pirelli team members had still came back from the bathroom!

Hey! The FIA obsrevers at Barcelona said that they actually suspected something fishy when after three days none of the Merc and Pirelli team members had still came back from the bathroom!

Was it when they got a tweet from Lewis saying he was in Florida?

Well, if we are going all conspiracy theoriest..... biggrin.png

That's a terrible theory....................he would have done it for the race, not free practice :lol:

Has there ever been any explanation why Pirelli moved from kevlar to steel belts this year? I presume the directive to make them less durable ony applied to the rubber of the tyre and not the actual construction.

Steel is a bit more ductile than kevlar. Thus it should have a variable effect on aerodynamics as the tyre deforms under stress

Steel is a bit more ductile than kevlar. Thus it should have a variable effect on aerodynamics as the tyre deforms under stress

Hmmm. I guess that's what Pirelli were trying to achieve then.

Is it ductility or malleability when in a tyre?

And expect Grabbie to pop up with the custard-filling proposition :lol:

And expect Grabbie to pop up with the custard-filling proposition laugh.png

Ah, well that is where you are wrong, as it is a little known fact that kevlar is actually made from woven fibres from the custard plant, indeed its latin name is kevlarus custardosis. So - ha! the tyres are full of custard :-P

Ah, well that is where you are wrong, as it is a little known fact that kevlar is actually made from woven fibres from the custard plant, indeed its latin name is kevlarus custardosis. So - ha! the tyres are full of custard :-P

Wow I didn't know that!

Talk about edutainment!

Wow I didn't know that!

Talk about edutainment!

Talk about brainfood! My head is starting to wobble after the post from Grab.............................. hey, whattaminute!!!

Hmmm. I guess that's what Pirelli were trying to achieve then.

Is it ductility or malleability when in a tyre?

And expect Grabbie to pop up with the custard-filling proposition laugh.png

The steel belt would be ductile which can give "elastic" properties.

Malleability would suggest that the tyre would change shape permanently when force is applied. But as the tyre goes back into its original shape upon removal of said force, we wouldn't call it malleable.

As for the custard lobby (what a wonderful idea- a lobby made of custard), Isn't Pirelli's inclusion of custard to the soft compound enogh? I mean, the sidewalls are yellow, aren't they?

Some people are so hard to please.. tongue.png

The steel belt would be ductile which can give "elastic" properties.

Malleability would suggest that the tyre would change shape permanently when force is applied. But as the tyre goes back into its original shape upon removal of said force, we wouldn't call it malleable.

As for the custard lobby (what a wonderful idea- a lobby made of custard), Isn't Pirelli's inclusion of custard to the soft compound enogh? I mean, the sidewalls are yellow, aren't they?

Some people are so hard to please.. tongue.png

Ah right, cool. I was thinking it would be a compressive stress, hence malleability, but 'elasticity' makes much more sense :lol:

Yeah, not a word of a lie. They grow near the gravy rivers and beside the jam bushes smile.png

No I know you are lying. Everybody knows jam does not come from bushes, but as a by-product of the jam butty mines.

Yeah, not a word of a lie. They grow near the gravy rivers and beside the jam bushes smile.png

No I know you are lying. Everybody knows jam does not come from bushes, but as a by-product of the jam butty mines.

Yes I am afraid I have to agree with Pabloh on this one, jam does come from the jam butty mines.

Does this mean cheese come from the moon as the moon is made of cheese.

Does this mean cheese come from the moon as the moon is made of cheese.

Really?? You still believe that?? Honestly, some people will believe anything :whistling: