Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Spanish Grand Prix

Formula One returns this weekend for the Spanish Grand Prix. It is the country's lone race, now that the beautiful (but perhaps not popular) Valencia circuit is gone.

Sunday's race begins a popular stretch of the calendar that includes more traditional venues and brings with it new updates to the cars.

Pirelli will bring a harder hard-compound tire, which seems to be requested by Red Bull. It should also benefit Ferrari, among others.

Marussia learned from their mistake and will have Bianchi do FP1, with Chilton sitting for González. So, expect Bianchi to impress again.

I hope to enjoy another competitive race on Sunday.

Looking forward to a good race after a fraught general election.

Can Red Bull consolidate their lead?

Can Ferrari hit the ground running? Will Fernando cry on the podium?

Can Mercedes avoid tyre wear issues?

Can Lotus supply Kimi with enough ice-cream?

Can McLaren inherit some Red Bull performance now that they supply alternators to RBR? Will Button moan? Will Perez find a middle ground between his very digital display of aggression?

Can both Force Indias stay on track for at least the first 10 laps without being punted?

Can Sauber get noticed on camera?

Can Vergne get a clean race? Can Ricciardo find himself in a situation where it isn't possible to smile?

Can Williams stop being forgotten mid-race?

Can Bianchi have a race where he is not performing brilliantly? Can Max Chilton get a good hair day?

Can Caterham run faster laps than the medical car?

I await answers for these with much anticipation

Can Perez beat button again?

Can Grosjean get close to kimi?

Can webber push vettel out of the race?

It is the country's lone race, now that the beautiful (but perhaps not popular) Valencia circuit is gone.

Yes thank god, what a procession it was....

Can webber push vettel out of the race?

I can imagine you're ones of those fellas, while the race is proceeding, eyes wide open the size of tennis balls, mouth wide open, spit rolling down the sides of your mouth, yelling in anticipation while you go yes yes, please let it happen. You don't seem to breathe, the anticipation is unbearable!!! At the end of the race your face turn downcast like Webber at the Malazian podium, deep lines running from the side of your nose and curl downward around the corner of your mouth.... You will look like Webber looked, a caricuture-style cartoon character who wants to throw another tantrum, beaten by the other guy...

Yes thank god, what a procession it was....

Not last year...

I still think the layout, though unchallenging and unspectacular, provided opportunities for great battles. The corners were laid out perfectly for cars to pass and re-pass. Cutting over and under was very much promoted. It's not a "classic" by any means, but I think Bridgestone contributed more to the bore than the circuit did.

Plus, I admired that they only had 40,000 seats, instead of building some over-ambitious, gluttonous speedway to seat 120,000 and only serve 1/3 of them.

Not that it matters. It's done and not coming back, and we're left with this equally uninspiring (just less pretty) circuit.

Of course, I still think it will be a good race, because F1 races are the best kind in 2013.

Not last year...

I still think the layout, though unchallenging and unspectacular, provided opportunities for great battles. The corners were laid out perfectly for cars to pass and re-pass. Cutting over and under was very much promoted. It's not a "classic" by any means, but I think Bridgestone contributed more to the bore than the circuit did.

Plus, I admired that they only had 40,000 seats, instead of building some over-ambitious, gluttonous speedway to seat 120,000 and only serve 1/3 of them.

Not that it matters. It's done and not coming back, and we're left with this equally uninspiring (just less pretty) circuit.

Of course, I still think it will be a good race, because F1 races are the best kind in 2013.

I don't know, maybe I just hate street circuits...I hate the sight of it. Drivers going on about how Monaco also test the limits of an F1 driver and how demanding it is but I find it pretty unspectacular. Really boring. I have'nt missed a F1 race in ages and if I would, I probably skip Monaco. Alonso was spectacular at Valencia last year though, and I enjoyed his passing......

Just me I guess....

On the contrary, I think you speak for the majority in your views of Valencia and street courses in general. I do love Monaco, though, because it reminds me of how impossibly talented the drivers are (even if their talent is actually sort of stupid ;)).

Anyway, this weekend, I expect Red Bull to win. The team is just too good. Not only do they operate a level above all the other teams, they do so without making mistakes as regularly. Whether it's McLaren's 2012 pit stops, or Ferrari's horrible calls about not replacing damaged wings, there just seems to be a mess going on elsewhere at all times. Red Bull manage to avoid that, and yet it wouldn't even matter, as they're ahead before the others screw up. It's really impressive how they do it. So, I expect them to win. Ferrari just isn't a championship-winning organization anymore. DRS slots that open at the wrong time (and then stay open) had Mercedes totally slaughtered on this forum last year, and twice, Ferrari has failed to replace a damaged wing at the expense of a points-scoring result. It destroyed Massa's race in Bahrain given the lack of downforce. Maybe the fact Red Bull is out front helps; they don't have as many things to hit to damage right wins, and are never activating DRS since they're the leader. Still, that gap, more than anything, makes it hard to consider things even, despite the appearance that they are close.

That all said, I am interested to see what the cars are like after a few weeks to develop them. McLaren will find their form at some point this year, and that could really benefit whoever is leading the WDC and WCC at the time they do (the spoiler role...if Driver 1 needs to make up X points per race on Driver 2, but a McLaren driver is taking the maximum points, Driver 1's job becomes harder). Perhaps it won't quite be this weekend. Ferrari and Alonso might run reliably for once, too, which could be interesting. It's been hard to really figure out what the Ferrari is truly capable of, though I, for one, didn't think it could match Red Bull in Bahrain. People seem more concerned that Lotus and Mercedes might lose ground, as opposed to wondering if they'll gain any. I'll be the optimist and say they'll give Räikkönen and Hamilton enough to work with.

Bsm

I just hate cheats, that's all, and I think Watson described vettel very well, as well as the probable consequences of his actions.

You are defending vettel vigorously. So much so that I suspect the first sentence of your description might apply to you, for a different reason...

Bsm

I just hate cheats, that's all, and I think Watson described vettel very well, as well as the probable consequences of his actions.

You are defending vettel vigorously. So much so that I suspect the first sentence of your description might apply to you, for a different reason...

Nothing will happen JP, and if it does and Webbo runs Vettel off the road, the consequences for him will be dire, that's what i read into RBR drafting in the third driver immediately after Malazia. In short I really dont see Webbo having the guts to do it, to me the suggestion is just plain silly....

On the contrary, I think you speak for the majority in your views of Valencia and street courses in general. I do love Monaco, though, because it reminds me of how impossibly talented the drivers are (even if their talent is actually sort of stupid wink.png).

Anyway, this weekend, I expect Red Bull to win...

That all said, I am interested to see what the cars are like after a few weeks to develop them. McLaren will find their form at some point this year, and that could really benefit whoever is leading the WDC and WCC at the time they do (the spoiler role...if Driver 1 needs to make up X points per race on Driver 2, but a McLaren driver is taking the maximum points, Driver 1's job becomes harder). Perhaps it won't quite be this weekend. Ferrari and Alonso might run reliably for once, too, which could be interesting. It's been hard to really figure out what the Ferrari is truly capable of, though I, for one, didn't think it could match Red Bull in Bahrain. People seem more concerned that Lotus and Mercedes might lose ground, as opposed to wondering if they'll gain any. I'll be the optimist and say they'll give Räikkönen and Hamilton enough to work with.

Actually, I think Lotus will really do well this race and might just bag it, it will be interesting to note if they can do a 1-stopper and Kimi can qualify higher up the grid, thats the key....

Nothing will happen JP, and if it does and Webbo runs Vettel off the road, the consequences for him will be dire, that's what i read into RBR drafting in the third driver immediately after Malazia. In short I really dont see Webbo having the guts to do it, to me the suggestion is just plain silly....

Well, one never knows what an angry man can do. There are bad vibes in that team now and I would be surprised if nothing bad came out of it, may be not this week-end, but eventually this year, as Watson pointed out. May be they are going to pull Webber before it happens.

Well, one never knows what an angry man can do. There are bad vibes in that team now and I would be surprised if nothing bad came out of it, may be not this week-end, but eventually this year, as Watson pointed out. May be they are going to pull Webber before it happens.

BTW, that was a very one-sided view from Watson, conveniently forgetting about MW past transgressions

Malaysia was nearly two months ago, and Mark Webber's not going to do something to jeopardize his future just for fun. He would have done it long ago if he intended to. If you intentionally take someone out, especially a teammate, in today's F1, you will never get a drive again in anything other than NASCAR. Last I checked, that wasn't where Webber wanted to go.

Moreover, Webber's in charge of (or has been in charge of) the GPDA, is he not? It would be a massive contradiction to do anything silly, given that the GPDA mostly advocates for safety-related issues.

The drama is over at Red Bull, and the only thing that can bring Red Bull down comes from outside. It's Lotus, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Force India, Sauber, Williams, Marussia, Toro Rosso, and Caterham. I like Red Bull's chances in that mix...

Yay! Looking forward to el Grande Prixo Spanisho!

I assume you will be in attendance, given the close proximity of Spain to Argentina. You could practically walk there.

I assume you will be in attendance, given the close proximity of Spain to Argentina. You could practically walk there.

No way, Jose! Would miss my siesta time, not to mention that I'm not that good at the hat dance.

Massa,

I wish things were so simple. Even the most predictable humans are unpredictable. I hope you are right and that webber will just roll over, but i doubt it, and I wish he does not. If he does, may be he should be replaced sooner than later.

No way, Jose! Would miss my siesta time, not to mention that I'm not that good at the hat dance.

so what do you have to say about James Allison leaving our fav team Poochie?

There's the championship glory ambitions gone!

so what do you have to say about James Allison leaving our fav team Poochie?

There's the championship glory ambitions gone!

I was about to post about that! Just that I had to make a link, and that discouraged me :D

Yeah, it's sad news for me as well. Not sure what this means for the team!

Oh, and don't say "our". It's hard enough having to agree with you on some topics to have it rubbed on my face.

I was about to post about that! Just that I had to make a link, and that discouraged me biggrin.png

Yeah, it's sad news for me as well. Not sure what this means for the team!

It's a difficlut one yeah. I mean is Chester capable of pushing our Team Poochie froward. Let's hope this guy have the Midas touch, it will be difficult if our Team Poochie just stalls on the develoment front....

eish, not a nice thing to look forward, but the management need to make sure our Team Poochie at least can stay 3rd in the championship hunt, I'm expecting the big 2 (RBR and ferrari) to pull ahead. But we must not lose faith in our Team Poochie.....

So, they practiced.

Tomorrow, they will qualify, and on Sunday, they will race!

That's what I think, at least. Feel free to disagree.