Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Monaco Gp - Pearl Of F1

Can anyone be luckier than the Red Bulls (Vettel) in this race? It doesn't seem so... but the season is long and hopefully they will go through rough times too. Sort of bummed for Kimi, but at least he got a chance to race at the very end. Pérez is the new Sato (and I definitely don't mean he's a crazy kamikaze driver with nothing better to do than ruin other people's racing, not at all). He provided the only fun moments of the race after all.

Great race by Nico, fully deserved. Vettel must be very happy with how the race went as well. Kimi made an outstanding comeback to get that final point, but I have a feeling he's gonna have some choice words reserved for Perez. One can be aggressive, but there was no way he could've pulled that move, so why go for a non-existing gap and destroy the race for both?

A pity that Kimi's race got ruined by an overenthusiastic Perez.

Good win by Rosberg. Didn't think Mercedes would make use of the pole. Was Hamilton to blame for missing out on podium? He apparently took it easy during the first pit.

Sutil & Perez did provide some entertainment though.

Hope Massa's ok.

I love Monaco. What a place for F1! The speed, the precision. There isn't a bad camera angle to use here. It's just so exciting to watch cars on this track, no matter what they do. Right on the edge, flying through corners...it's really the essence of this stuff. It's beautiful viewing, absolutely beautiful viewing.

Pérez had some excellent moves, but they were really overshadowed by the last few, which were all just miscalculated entirely. He'll get there; it's a shame.

Sutil was a pleasure to watch today. Fifth is a great result.

Button on the wounded Pérez, and their whole rivalry, is great entertainment. Hamilton's look at Webber in the same spot was fun.

It was just such a tense race, and every overtake was so special because you just can't predict when, where, and how it will happen on this circuit. Do I want every race to be like this? No, of course not; I love the strategy and I've enjoyed the form F1's taken recently. But for a weekend, wow, what a joy.

I think having a Mercedes leading is inherently exciting. Your instinctive reaction is to believe, "yeah, well, he'll fall out of the lead soon enough!" I wasn't convinced until he crossed the line that he'd hang on. Rosberg did a great job, and how opportunistic of Mercedes to win the race they were most suited to win. You can't throw that away, and they didn't. Rosberg's been very impressive against Hamilton this year, and that's fun to see.

If you think F1 is close only because of the tires, well, this race had a little bit of a different take on that situation. The tires weren't irrelevant; Räikkönen was flying at the end on fresh ones. However, their role was diminished, and still, here we are, so many cars, all so close. Don't discredit what these many teams have constructed, and how these many drivers have managed to race at a high level.

On a last note, I loved Vettel's last radio transmission.

Good on Nico for the win. But I think this will be a unique win for Merc as the tyre degradation issue, was well a non issue. And if they think Montreal will be similar, that race track was one of the first great races on the new tyre era, so unless they have re surfaced the track, expect to see the Mercs going backwards again.

Romain, you f***ing idiot. Time you got the chop my French fellow. It's quite possible he also ruined Kimi's race at that point, as Hamilton was already having tyre wear issues. Thus had they not had a yellow, Kimi potentially would have had a great chance in gaining a few places up the grid. But nope, he had to have a brain fart and ram Ricardio of the track. Whether Kimi goes to RBR next year or not, I can't see Lotus keeping this schmuck any longer.

Massa, well that was strange. Car issues both times? or dear in headlights and pausing/not reacting properly?

And Perez! OMG what a chump. I quite like seeing Button have a whinge over what Perez does to him, and most often he's got a point, but this idiot tried the banzai move 2-3 times too many today. Alonso was hard done by, buy he's got plenty of bad karma to receive so I don't cry for him. But he wrecked Kimi's race, and that's even after Bundle or Crofty, or the other MB saying that Kimi said over the radio that Perez was an idiot.

If they dropped that Japanese driver from the Aguri Suzuki team all those years ago for unsafe driving, then both Romain and Perez are heading in that direction.

Perez is a marked man now. I don't see him being at McLaren long term.

Perez is simply amazing. He is world champion material IMO. His overtaking were just amongst the best I've seen in 35 years of following f1. Again he really remains me of Gilles at his beginnings. Of course he pushed the envelop against limi, but hey young drivers make mistakes!

Vettels comment were ridiculous as always, saying the race was slow for his team. He should have acted like Perez and sutil and make things happen. We all know he could not because his car dies not like the pirellis.

Button was asleep at the wheel. I would not be surprised if he was replaced next year. It is now three race he is out driven by Perez.

I partially agree with JP here. Perez was great at times and not so great at some others, but he tried and when he was great he was sublime...and when he was bad he was Maldonado bad. Needs a lot of polishing and yes, he ruined Kimi's race (and upset Nando's and Button's among others!) but he is still green and..it's Monaco! Where ruining another driver's race is the norm. He showed his best and his worst. Let's see which way he follows more consistently.

The race...mmmh...seemed as it would be a wonderful strategic technical race boring for the casual spectator but gripping for the hardcore fan, or the opposite, a dramatic race filled with mishaps and fireworks. And it ended up being none.

Could have been worse, though. Vettel still has a knack to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Makes me hate him even more. Lewis seems to lack the confidence, having a Massa-like year? Rosberg was flawless, but still does not impresses me. Call me prejudiced. Webber, most anonymous podium ever! Poor lad. Kimi and Alonso (mostly Alonso) quite disappointing (and yes, I know Kimi was doing better until Perez but still). Button is steadily morphing from nice and likeable into whiney and unbearable. Makes Trulli and his "No grip! No grip!" yells sound like a lullaby.

What else? Oh, yes, Vergne is back! And Massa is ok! Wooohoo!

And Perez! OMG what a chump. I quite like seeing Button have a whinge over what Perez does to him, and most often he's got a point, but this idiot tried the banzai move 2-3 times too many today. Alonso was hard done by, buy he's got plenty of bad karma to receive so I don't cry for him. But he wrecked Kimi's race, and that's even after Bundle or Crofty, or the other MB saying that Kimi said over the radio that Perez was an idiot.

I wonder why this guy keeps getting away with it really, and that move on Alonso having to concede the position back, is just fundamentally WRONG . I mean what the hell was Alonso suppose to do??? CRASH!!! It cost Alonso 2 further places!!!

How on earth did Kimi get that single point?? Does anyone know what happened??

He overtook Hülkenberg on the final lap, but I don't know how/where.

He was flying on the fresh super-soft tires they put on in his final stop. He had set fastest lap (until Vettel took it), and he in the blink of timing and scoring at the bottom of the TV feed, he had gone from three tenths behind Hülkenberg to one tenth...then it cycled to the next set of drivers, and by the time it came back, he was P10. So, it was an overtake. He was just picking them off, and he was only a few tenths behind P9 at the finish.

I love Monaco. What a place for F1! The speed, the precision. There isn't a bad camera angle to use here. It's just so exciting to watch cars on this track, no matter what they do. Right on the edge, flying through corners...it's really the essence of this stuff. It's beautiful viewing, absolutely beautiful viewing.

my word Eric, if you really enjoyed this race then i don't know... F 1 cars are not built for tracks like these, it has far "outgrown" it. Not even words of grandeur or poetic rumblings can save it from what it really is, a farce!!!

He overtook Hülkenberg on the final lap, but I don't know how/where.

He was flying on the fresh super-soft tires they put on in his final stop. He had set fastest lap (until Vettel took it), and he in the blink of timing and scoring at the bottom of the TV feed, he had gone from three tenths behind Hülkenberg to one tenth...then it cycled to the next set of drivers, and by the time it came back, he was P10. So, it was an overtake. He was just picking them off, and he was only a few tenths behind P9 at the finish.

pity he did'nt have an extra lap or 2 in hand then...

How on earth did Kimi get that single point?? Does anyone know what happened??

I certainly would like to see Kimi's final 4 or 5 laps from his in-car camera. He was 16th when he came out the pits, so somehow he managed to overtake 6 cars in the final 6 or 7 laps, three of them in the final two laps. Bottas said he let Kimi by, assuming Kimi was in the lead and that he was being lapped, but I doubt that was the case with all of the other overtakes.

I certainly would like to see Kimi's final 4 or 5 laps from his in-car camera. He was 16th when he came out the pits, so somehow he managed to overtake 6 cars in the final 6 or 7 laps, three of them in the final two laps. Bottas said he let Kimi by, assuming Kimi was in the lead and that he was being lapped, but I doubt that was the case with all of the other overtakes.

LOL....classic!!!!

I think I am probably the only one over here who thinks Perez was hard done by Kimi. No matter what everybody says, Kimi closed the door when the McLaren was beside him. O.K. lets just call that a racing incident shan't we, and let it be.

Regarding his move on Alonso, he was ahead going into the corner. Alonso couldn't even make the turn - so out was he of his braking zone. If you "edited" Perez out of the picture, Alonso outbraked himself and had to contravene the regulations regarding race distance. Add to the fact that approaching the apex of the chicane, Perez was ahead, makes this a non-issue.

The thing that irks me is that if it were Kimi doing those sort of moves instead of Perez, many Kimi supporters here would be singing a different tune altogether.

Fact is, that Perez, Sutil and Di Resta were the few that dared to do something special today. The vibe I get here is that the drivers who merely drove to a delta time are the ones who did the best job.

What irony, especially after the complaints here that the tyres are taking away the essence of racing

I think I am probably the only one over here who thinks Perez was hard done by Kimi. No matter what everybody says, Kimi closed the door when the McLaren was beside him. O.K. lets just call that a racing incident shan't we, and let it be.

Regarding his move on Alonso, he was ahead going into the corner. Alonso couldn't even make the turn - so out was he of his braking zone. If you "edited" Perez out of the picture, Alonso outbraked himself and had to contravene the regulations regarding race distance. Add to the fact that approaching the apex of the chicane, Perez was ahead, makes this a non-issue.

The thing that irks me is that if it were Kimi doing those sort of moves instead of Perez, many Kimi supporters here would be singing a different tune altogether.

Fact is, that Perez, Sutil and Di Resta were the few that dared to do something special today. The vibe I get here is that the drivers who merely drove to a delta time are the ones who did the best job.

What irony, especially after the complaints here that the tyres are taking away the essence of racing

By the same assumption....I think you need to edit Perez out of the Kimi incident and see who's in front

By the same assumption....I think you need to edit Perez out of the Kimi incident and see who's in front

Doesn't matter because the regs state that if the car is alongside, there must be one car width space given

Doesn't matter because the regs state that if the car is alongside, there must be one car width space given

Perez was nowhere near alongside, and just a few laps prior, while trying to make the same move, not only did he force Kimi to cut the chicane, he outbroke himself so badly that he cut the chicane as well. Not moves of someone who knows how to make controlled passes.

Kimi did not close the door, he was clearly just following his race line and simply refused to be bullied by Perez to give him room he had not earned. Overtaking is easy, if all you have to do is to outbrake everyone (including yourself) and assume the responsibility of avoiding collisions to others. Great overtakers, like Alonso, Lewis and Kimi, know how to pass without bulldozing others off the track, new recruits like Perez, Maldonado and Grosjean have yet to learn that skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_V78VgLaKI

He was alongside Kimi????....Kimi turns in in the racing line not having a clue that Perez is where he is....or are you seeing what you want to see??

EDIT Perez out here and you'll see

The way I saw it, and still do see it: Pérez came in too late for Räikkönen to know, and Räikkönen just turned in for the corner the normal way. The track narrows, it kinks, there's a turn, and it happens quickly. I felt it was a racing incident. Pérez went for something that wasn't going to be there very long, and Räikkönen just kept chugging along into the space he had a right to be in. There was fault to be assigned to be both, but for me, it canceled out. Pérez was aggressive (in a great, great way for many times, then it got ragged) and Räikkönen could have expected it to happen. Still, I don't think you can ask Pérez to not try to get a spot, and I don't think you can ask Räikkönen to anticipate things like that, as if he did, his only option would be to not turn into the corner, and, I don't know, turning into the corner is sort of important in F1. ;)

Button was special, too, with his pass on Alonso, I thought.

You do highlight something interesting, too. I miss it all, as a bumbling clown who just likes all the races, no matter what. :P

my word Eric, if you really enjoyed this race then i don't know... F 1 cars are not built for tracks like these, it has far "outgrown" it. Not even words of grandeur or poetic rumblings can save it from what it really is, a farce!!!

We'll have to disagree, then. I love the fact that F1 has outgrown it. Would I want this every weekend? No, of course not. But I like to indulge in it once a year. The mismatch of car and track makes for a great challenge on the driver, and when those rare overtakes do happen, boy is it spectacular! It's over-the-top, it's so, so, so fast (too fast, even), and every once in a while, the tension is broken by something beautiful. I mean that sincerely. I love it. What can I say? I'm a big F1 fan. F1 could fart, and I'd probably tell you it smells nice, so yeah, there's bias. But I enjoyed this morning a ton.

We'll have to disagree, then. I love the fact that F1 has outgrown it. Would I want this every weekend? No, of course not. But I like to indulge in it once a year. The mismatch of car and track makes for a great challenge on the driver, and when those rare overtakes do happen, boy is it spectacular! It's over-the-top, it's so, so, so fast (too fast, even), and every once in a while, the tension is broken by something beautiful. I mean that sincerely. I love it. What can I say? I'm a big F1 fan. F1 could fart, and I'd probably tell you it smells nice, so yeah, there's bias. But I enjoyed this morning a ton.

I cringe when I see theat circuit name on the calendar, it's THE circuit i wish they just get over with and move on.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed...to me it's just awful

By the way, I believe this regulation is often misunderstood. The regulation, AFAIK, says that if the driver goes off the racing line in a defensive move, and then returns to the racing line, he must leave at least one cars width of space. Kimi did not leave the racing line at any point, so this obviously does not apply.

For convenience, went and looked for the regulations, and as far as I can see, these two points are of relevance:

"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."

"Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason."

The first point doesn't apply because of the reasons I stated above, and second doesn't apply since Kimi and Sergio were already at the braking zone, and there obviously was more than a cars width of space on the preceding straight.

Loads of news. Couldn't do anything earlier. I was watching lap times on my iPad and I ran the battery out. Kimi got into P10 with six outstanding laps, the last of which was a 1:17.392. No one has seen any footage of that though. Merc figure everyone knew they had stayed behind for testing tyres and the FIA sanctioned it. Pirelli claim they were gathering data for 2014/5. Perez's GP2 antics have made him no friends. It was a little desperate, I have to say. The move on Jenson was gold but he sacrificed much need points in a very reckless manner. Big rumour that Button will retire at the end of next season. Even bigger rumour that he is Lotus's first choice if Kimi goes to RBR next year. Grosjean may get canned we are told despite the fact that he is managed by the team. I doubt it. Big deal in the wind for Williams apparently with Mercedes power next year. It was a great day, a great race, I had a ball and thank my lucky stars that life has been this good to me.