Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Monaco Gp - Pearl Of F1

Loads of news. Couldn't do anything earlier. I was watching lap times on my iPad and I ran the battery out. Kimi got into P10 with six outstanding laps, the last of which was a 1:17.392. No one has seen any footage of that though. Merc figure everyone knew they had stayed behind for testing tyres and the FIA sanctioned it. Pirelli claim they were gathering data for 2014/5. Perez's GP2 antics have made him no friends. It was a little desperate, I have to say. The move on Jenson was gold but he sacrificed much need points in a very reckless manner. Big rumour that Button will retire at the end of next season. Even bigger rumour that he is Lotus's first choice if Kimi goes to RBR next year. Grosjean may get canned we are told despite the fact that he is managed by the team. I doubt it. Big deal in the wind for Williams apparently with Mercedes power next year. It was a great day, a great race, I had a ball and thank my lucky stars that life has been this good to me.

Amen!

I had the F1 app on my phone and Kimi selected for the final 6 laps. Great to see some footage of his passes as it was clear he was blasting past these back markers. The app got a bit funny at the end and showed Kimi 10th, then 11th before the finish line. I was like oh noes, he's gone wide on a corner or into a runoff. But it corrected itself and showed him 10th again. If Kimi loses the WDC this year by the points difference between 5th and 10th, I'm personally going to war on Perez.

This is not the first time Perez has mouthed off the opposite of what has actually happened and Maldonado has done the same as well. These guys are so far in their own little world where they see things flipped on it's head. You only have to see all the cut chicanes to see Perez was coming into that corner way too quickly. And each time he was barley in control. Alonso paid the price for one, then he ran Kimi through the chicane, and then he tries again and smashes into him.

How many times have you heard Kimi having a go at someone or a team? It's very very rare. He never said a word against Hamilton when he smashed into the back of him in Canada. Nor Ferrari when they axed him from the team. So I take what he says against other drivers in a higher regard due to him very rarely speaking out. That to me has more gravity than a Button whinge, a Webber "telling it like it is" whinge and so on.

I havn't liked Perez since he stepped into the McLaren and deep down I wish Ron would come back and take control of that team. He wouldn't be tolerating this stuff at all. It wasn't a racing incident. He came in too hot (which he had done several times all day) and smashed into Kimi. The fact Kimi a few laps earlier said he was an idiot and that he thought Perez would crash into him says it all really.

How many times have you heard Kimi having a go at someone or a team? It's very very rare. He never said a word against Hamilton when he smashed into the back of him in Canada.

I do remember him calling Hamilton "puusilmä" (wooden eye) to Finnish press after that incident. ;)

Loads of news.

My envy has no limits... Great to hear what the rumors on the paddock are!

I stand corrected then. Perez reached too far on that one

Though it's funny that Kimi thinks of Perez negatively due to the outbraking and colliding at that particular area. It's not as if he hadn't seen some action there himself in the past

Though it's funny that Kimi thinks of Perez negatively due to the outbraking and colliding at that particular area. It's not as if he hadn't seen some action there himself in the past

For sure Kimi's has history with that chicane. However it wasn't after several near misses during the day, it was a one off incident. If this was Perez's only near miss or incident during the race, and it still resulted in the same scenario, then I wouldn't have issue with it. But it kept going on and on, and as soon as he was behind Kimi I had this horrid feeling he was going to ruin his race. The writing was on the wall, and most could see what was going to happen.

Both were similiar situations, with Kimi's previous one years ago and the one yesterday. However they are not the same. Kimi wasn't pulling that stuff all day long, and tempting fate to intervene. Perez was. Thus you have to say it was avoidable because he on several previous occasions due to his recklessness and lack of control pretty much did the same thing. Thus he didn't learn from each case, and kept doing it even though it was near miss after near miss.

Loads of news. Couldn't do anything earlier. I was watching lap times on my iPad and I ran the battery out. Kimi got into P10 with six outstanding laps, the last of which was a 1:17.392. No one has seen any footage of that though. Merc figure everyone knew they had stayed behind for testing tyres and the FIA sanctioned it. Pirelli claim they were gathering data for 2014/5. Perez's GP2 antics have made him no friends. It was a little desperate, I have to say. The move on Jenson was gold but he sacrificed much need points in a very reckless manner. Big rumour that Button will retire at the end of next season. Even bigger rumour that he is Lotus's first choice if Kimi goes to RBR next year. Grosjean may get canned we are told despite the fact that he is managed by the team. I doubt it. Big deal in the wind for Williams apparently with Mercedes power next year. It was a great day, a great race, I had a ball and thank my lucky stars that life has been this good to me.

Thanks for the updates Sean!!

lol, I'll never forget the one with Sutil

Having now seen footage from Sky in the after show, Kimi's speed advantage over the back end of the field was massive. Had to fly back via Paris and spent the wee small hours watching the recording I made. I have to say, Lotus are extremely confident that Kimi will stay and Honda will try to persuade McLaren to offer Button a new deal beyond 2015. He is still a 'favourite son' in Tokyo. To be honest, though Jenson has lost none of his skill or speed, the tyre issue seems to have drained him mentally. That, and a crappy car have got his mind wandering, I believe. He is focused on race day but with another unknown package on the way for next year, I feel he will be looking for a change or the door. I thought Perez was a poor signing for the Woking mob and still do. He reminds me of Montoya - quick and rash - brilliant and dumb. I talked to a whole host of people about the dilemma Macca find themselves in and most say that Whitmarsh must go. Martin is a lovely guy and a shrewd operator but the Perez signing and the team's rapid decline this year have seen his stock with the shareholders dwindle. I got a good look at the car on Saturday morning from various vantage points in the swimming pool area and it looked better than it had all season but it lacks basic speed and seems rigid and unwieldy. It's a dog, to be fair. Of the younger pilots, I saw little that was impressive. They are all quick - Guitterez, Vergne, Bottas, Van Der Garde - but no one looks 'dangerous' with the possible exception of Hulkenberg who is currently sulking a great deal and has taken a backward step in my book. He needs the No.2 seat at Ferrari, Lotus or RBR to really shine. A last word on the Pirelli/Testgate saga. Pirelli did NOT consult with other teams, as per the rules and the FIA say they only sanctioned the principal, NOT the detail and as the Swedes say, 'there is a dead dog buried somewhere there'. Though inexperienced, Hankook could fill the role if Pirelli throw a wobbler or are punished by the FIA. The Korean outfit are now active in DTM and F3 and highly ambitious. Bernie was entertaining the top brass this weekend and is keen to get them involved.

How on earth did Kimi get that single point?? Does anyone know what happened??

They showed Kimi's banzai lap at the end of the highlights show on the BBC, Gutierrez and Bottas both seemed to think they were being lapped by the way they jumped out of the way of him and he just uplled a great move on Hulkenberg.

What a race though, well incident packed event is more accurate given how little racing their actually was. The fact Vettel did a lap that was a full two seconds faster than anyone near the end speaks volumes about how they were driving to protect tyres the whole damn race.

So no safety cars this whole season then three in one race and a red flag! I'm not sure about Perez, he's either brilliant for making the moves he does or an idiot. Loved the way Kimi sized him up, he reckons some of the moves are stupid and when asked if the drivers would be having a word with him he said it wouldn't help and that maybe someone should punch him in the face. That's so Kimi!!

Grosjean had four crashes in three days and deserves his 10 place grid penalty in Canada if you ask me. Nasty crash for both Massa and Maldonado I thought and I felt bad for Ricciardo too when he got crashed into.

Of course Merc could yet be in big trouble for doing a tyre test with Pirelli with current drivers in a current car, that's totally against the rules isn't it? I can see why Red Bull and Ferrari protested that as well.

Having now seen footage from Sky in the after show, Kimi's speed advantage over the back end of the field was massive. Had to fly back via Paris and spent the wee small hours watching the recording I made. I have to say, Lotus are extremely confident that Kimi will stay and Honda will try to persuade McLaren to offer Button a new deal beyond 2015. He is still a 'favourite son' in Tokyo. To be honest, though Jenson has lost none of his skill or speed, the tyre issue seems to have drained him mentally. That, and a crappy car have got his mind wandering, I believe. He is focused on race day but with another unknown package on the way for next year, I feel he will be looking for a change or the door. I thought Perez was a poor signing for the Woking mob and still do. He reminds me of Montoya - quick and rash - brilliant and dumb. I talked to a whole host of people about the dilemma Macca find themselves in and most say that Whitmarsh must go. Martin is a lovely guy and a shrewd operator but the Perez signing and the team's rapid decline this year have seen his stock with the shareholders dwindle. I got a good look at the car on Saturday morning from various vantage points in the swimming pool area and it looked better than it had all season but it lacks basic speed and seems rigid and unwieldy. It's a dog, to be fair. Of the younger pilots, I saw little that was impressive. They are all quick - Guitterez, Vergne, Bottas, Van Der Garde - but no one looks 'dangerous' with the possible exception of Hulkenberg who is currently sulking a great deal and has taken a backward step in my book. He needs the No.2 seat at Ferrari, Lotus or RBR to really shine. A last word on the Pirelli/Testgate saga. Pirelli did NOT consult with other teams, as per the rules and the FIA say they only sanctioned the principal, NOT the detail and as the Swedes say, 'there is a dead dog buried somewhere there'. Though inexperienced, Hankook could fill the role if Pirelli throw a wobbler or are punished by the FIA. The Korean outfit are now active in DTM and F3 and highly ambitious. Bernie was entertaining the top brass this weekend and is keen to get them involved.

I thought exactly the same while watching Perez. You want some guy from even more recent times which would pull those antics? Kamui. Then why everybody drooled when Kamui muscled his way pushing everybody around and now are calling for a lynching of Perez?

First, because Kamui never had a car good enough to be anything else but that funny guy in the midfield.

Second, because he never managed to mess with everyone's favorites in a single race. He might have done this same but to midfield guys, perhaps one of the big names but no more. Perez on the other side took his ballsy but dumb moves to the very untouchable gods: Kimi, Alonso, Button...

He needs to improve a lot more to be really good (I wasn't too fond of Kamui nor Montoya, actually), but here's hoping that he manages to keep upsetting the gods whithout necessarily destroying them in the process. In any case I prefer that to his latest drives.

McLaren is completely lost. Button is unrecognizable, and Whitmarsh is taking too much flak which is a shame because he seems like a nice guy.

Re: tires. I think the other objectin is that they were not allowed to use a current car. I think Pirelli is growing increasingly frustrated that every move they do ends up being a PR disaster.

I hope Kimi stays at Poochie. It's the perfect place for him as a person, even if they cannot give him (yet) a WDC car. Or can they? I think this car is very capable to tgive him a WDC, just not the way he likes it (by winning every race). It's an Alonso-like WDC car, to play the numbers game with.

We can analyse and disagree all we want, the fact remains that in Monaco only three guys had the attitude and the talent to really race and it is a shame all the others agreed to look at the scenery. Without the three racers, the race would have been a non race, boring to death. So people who are way too conservative in their analysis of the race- saying that Perez or Sutil were too aggressive and should have looked ar the scenery as well - might ask themselves if F1 is really for them. This is f1 for Christ sake, not curling!

(I admit I occasionally look at curling!)

Interesting paddocks "news" there Insider. I've already seen a headline today saying Lotus are in financial trouble and have lost a ton of money. That does not bode well for them keeping Kimi. Losing Alison too might have more to the tale I think. They are good, but Kimi will only win a WDC with them via consistency like Alonso did in 2005. He should still be in the hunt, but thanks to the dodge mexican he took a massive hit in the points.

I think Whimarsh's days are numbered, and who knows maybe Ron is up for the task of steadying the ship. Sauber came back to sort out his team, and then passed on the torch again. Though if Whitmarsh does get the axe, it would be strange as then had Paddy Lowe stayed, he probably would have been next in line. But had he stayed on, I suspect they would not have so much of a dog right now. But I also put alot of that on Perez and Button's shoulders. If Button needs a perfect car to excel or get anywhere, then you could say the same for any modern driver who isn't an idiot couldn't you. I mean Maldonado won a race, need I say more.

Button to Lotus does have a nice ring to it. And Kimi to RBR has to now be a real option. I've seen even Webber talking about smaller teams, Ferrari again, so I think he knows his days are numbered at that team too.

I can't stand Webber, but I'd love to see him at Ferrari with Alonso. Button at Lotus, Massa back at Sauber and I'm not sure who at McLaren.

As for the grommets, well none of them are impressing really. Send the Hulk to McLaren maybe. Perez he's got to go. Even before his stupid antics yesterday, I never felt he was a good choice. Honestly a really stupid decision by McLaren and one of many it seems.

I hate seeing them decline after Hamilton left, as though him leaving has caused all of this, or that he had a crystal ball etc. etc. Would have been nice for that silver spooned brat to have experienced a couple of really hard seasons just to then realize how privileged he has been during his time in F1. Go Nico. Am loving that he is beating Hamilton, but I feel somewhat sad actually that Schumi didn't stick around for another year to see the results of the 3 hard years he put into that team. Would have been nice to see him win at Monaco or just win again. He didn't deserve all the criticisms during his comeback. But he did deserve them before he retired.

On the contrary, I think the only one good thing Mac have for the future is Perez now that they let Louis go. Time will tell if Perez was such a "bad idea" as several forumites here seem to think. msn-wink.gif

On the contrary, I think the only one good thing Mac have for the future is Perez now that they let Louis go. Time will tell if Perez was such a "bad idea" as several forumites here seem to think. msn-wink.gif

Totally agree.

If you see it from a McL point of view, their season is in tatters. No clear headway into fighting for race victory, a dog of a car and an air of hopelessness during the perceived difficult period until 2015 which may be either a disaster or a rebirth.

The only consolation is they have a driver willing to approach each and every race with a fighting spirit. After all the flak this season's had with the tyres situation, I'm glad that some drivers on the grid are going out and showing that true racing is alive. Yes, Perez may be unexperienced and slightly rash, but I rather see him trying something different than doing another performance that echoes his Malaysian GP outing. When your team is in a period of depression witha bleak outlook, it's nice to know that there are still people who are willing to put their reputation on the line in to keep the faith with those who remember the ethoes of that team's founder.

Not in any way trying to defend the actions that are blatantly wrong, but it's nice to know that there's someone who still believes that true racers never die, no matter what the consequences to their own legacy.

Totally agree.

If you see it from a McL point of view, their season is in tatters. No clear headway into fighting for race victory, a dog of a car and an air of hopelessness during the perceived difficult period until 2015 which may be either a disaster or a rebirth.

The only consolation is they have a driver willing to approach each and every race with a fighting spirit. After all the flak this season's had with the tyres situation, I'm glad that some drivers on the grid are going out and showing that true racing is alive. Yes, Perez may be unexperienced and slightly rash, but I rather see him trying something different than doing another performance that echoes his Malaysian GP outing. When your team is in a period of depression witha bleak outlook, it's nice to know that there are still people who are willing to put their reputation on the line in to keep the faith with those who remember the ethoes of that team's founder.

Not in any way trying to defend the actions that are blatantly wrong, but it's nice to know that there's someone who still believes that true racers never die, no matter what the consequences to their own legacy.

Perez failed to take on board the fact that Kimi was driving for WDC points which he isn't. That is the sort of judgement a top racer has to have. You need more than pure speed. He hasn't got it. He is a greenhorn under pressure from a team that is under pressure from it's shareholders and admirable legacy. A recipe for disaster. Both must improve dramatically to stay in the game. Ferrari see something in Kamui and that's great. He was definitely not ready for the scrapheap. The thirty-somethings are dominating the sport right now because they have the 'cools' it takes to be consistently competitive - you're born with that - you either have it or don't. Hearsay at the weekend claimed Button had stated he might not be around when Honda get there. Kimi looks like a shoe-in at RBR but will it work out for him? The Lotus financials were expected but I don't really see that as news. They will stay or go. Even with Kimi, they don't have enough sponsorship. Jenson could help and so could Webber. If Kimi goes, that combo could get them into the top three constructors which would help. Alonso could jump ship too - he is far from happy. There will be a mighty shake-up as we go into 2014, I believe but there is a long, long way to go this year and who knows what might happen.

Perez failed to take on board the fact that Kimi was driving for WDC points which he isn't. That is the sort of judgement a top racer has to have. You need more than pure speed. He hasn't got it. He is a greenhorn under pressure from a team that is under pressure from it's shareholders and admirable legacy. A recipe for disaster. Both must improve dramatically to stay in the game. Ferrari see something in Kamui and that's great. He was definitely not ready for the scrapheap. The thirty-somethings are dominating the sport right now because they have the 'cools' it takes to be consistently competitive - you're born with that - you either have it or don't. Hearsay at the weekend claimed Button had stated he might not be around when Honda get there. Kimi looks like a shoe-in at RBR but will it work out for him? The Lotus financials were expected but I don't really see that as news. They will stay or go. Even with Kimi, they don't have enough sponsorship. Jenson could help and so could Webber. If Kimi goes, that combo could get them into the top three constructors which would help. Alonso could jump ship too - he is far from happy. There will be a mighty shake-up as we go into 2014, I believe but there is a long, long way to go this year and who knows what might happen.

He was fighting for 6th place a beleive and did not care if Kimi was fighting for point or not, and I agree with his judgement. This is not 5 o'clock tea... He thought he could take him, but made a mistake. No one talks about the masterful manoeuvre he pulled on Button, and it was masterful. Very few drivers could have pulled it off, but he did.

I remember when Gilles came along, many said the same negative things several forumites are saying now about Perez. Let see what the futur holds...

He was fighting for 6th place a beleive and did not care if Kimi was fighting for point or not, and I agree with his judgement. This is not 5 o'clock tea... He thought he could take him, but made a mistake. No one talks about the masterful manoeuvre he pulled on Button, and it was masterful. Very few drivers could have pulled it off, but he did.

I remember when Gilles came along, many said the same negative things several forumites are saying now about Perez. Let see what the futur holds...

I commented that the move on Button was 'gold' and it was but you only make so many mistakes and then you're history. At this level you have to 'read' what the other driver may do - Kimi would never yield at that part of the circuit, at that point in the race - you need to know that. I never have tea at 5 'o' clock.......

Eric, since you're the one with all the time on your hands to work out statistical nonsense, can you work out what the points that Hamilton and Nico would both have, had Ross Brawn not been an idiot and let Nico pass Lewis back in Malaysia? Cheers, little ears.

As for Perez..yeah, dumb move on Kimi, but at least he was trying. As someone once said "you can tidy up speed, but you can't speed up tidy". This is waht Macca see's in him, and he will come good in time, I feel.

As for Martin Whitmarsh..it's not him that designs the car, determines the weight balances etc etc...he's just the head on the pratt perch that is there to take the flak. Would you tell Frank Williams and Patrick Head to leave WIlliams? No.

And Sean, old matey...whats the buzz on the GP2 drivers amongst the F1 people? Who are they watching? Two podiums for Mitch on a track he's never been on before, and Colletti seems a good racer too. Frijns seems good as well, though not such a good weekend for him this weekend. Grosjean out, Valsecchi in?

Eric, since you're the one with all the time on your hands to work out statistical nonsense, can you work out what the points that Hamilton and Nico would both have, had Ross Brawn not been an idiot and let Nico pass Lewis back in Malaysia? Cheers, little ears.

I'm not Little ears, but this seemed a fairly easy task :) , If Rosberg had passed Hamilton in Malaysia (Assuming he went no further), Rosberg would have 50 Points, And Hamilton - 59 (As Opposed 47 / 62 today)

What I'm more intrigued about - does anybody have enough free time on their hands to do a Hamilton \ Team-mate comparison from '07 onwards, both Qualy and Race ? I'm a Rosberg fan, and its nice to see that I havent been delusional all these years, but I do try and remind myself every now and then - this is a car that Hamilton had little input into, so not an apples-apples comparison just yet ...