Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Monaco Gp - Pearl Of F1

Insider,

I commented that Perez made a mistake trying to pass kimi, and it was. Anyways, Perez does not have many mistakes so far this year in my book. In fact, he is amongst the best racers for the last three races. I'm fairly certain that the team bosses are happy with him. Can't wait to see what he'll do next time. Podium?

Perez failed to take on board the fact that Kimi was driving for WDC points which he isn't. That is the sort of judgement a top racer has to have. You need more than pure speed. He hasn't got it. He is a greenhorn under pressure from a team that is under pressure from it's shareholders and admirable legacy. A recipe for disaster. Both must improve dramatically to stay in the game. Ferrari see something in Kamui and that's great. He was definitely not ready for the scrapheap. The thirty-somethings are dominating the sport right now because they have the 'cools' it takes to be consistently competitive - you're born with that - you either have it or don't. Hearsay at the weekend claimed Button had stated he might not be around when Honda get there. Kimi looks like a shoe-in at RBR but will it work out for him? The Lotus financials were expected but I don't really see that as news. They will stay or go. Even with Kimi, they don't have enough sponsorship. Jenson could help and so could Webber. If Kimi goes, that combo could get them into the top three constructors which would help. Alonso could jump ship too - he is far from happy. There will be a mighty shake-up as we go into 2014, I believe but there is a long, long way to go this year and who knows what might happen.

summed it up perfectly...lovely stuff!!!

I don't see how anyone can defend Perez for the move on Raikonnen - that was not brave, good or ballsy by any measure.

Demonstrated his lack of experience - it was obvious that Kimi would not yield and aiming a car at an ever-decreasing space has only one consequence and it cost him his race.

He's got speed and potential but just needs to get a cooler head on his shoulders as otherwise he'll be spending more time on the bench watching the race on monitors. As I said earlier (and never thought I would say it) but Sutil pulled off some great overtakes too - without causing carnage, Perez should spend some time looking at what he did and learn....

There are some drivers who will yield and some who won't, it also depends on where they are on track. The move Perez made on Button was good, the move he made on Alonso less so as he left him with no real choice , go other than across the chicane or cause a big accident. Alonso can't afford a big accident so he had to cut across which got Perez the move, so in real terms it got Perez the pass even if it was cheeky.

Kimi was never going to go wide and give him space, he started the move from too far back and too late to make a case for being hard done by and saying that Kimi should have seen him and given him space. That was as optimisitic as the move Hamilton tried to make on Button in Canada last year, neither move was ever going to work and only going to end one way, even sitting on my sofa I could see it, so why couldn't he?

Nice to see that Massa's shunt was supension failure. Even Felipe at his worst doesn't make catastrophic errors twice if the same place.

I hope Kimi stays at Poochie. It's the perfect place for him as a person, even if they cannot give him (yet) a WDC car. Or can they? I think this car is very capable to tgive him a WDC, just not the way he likes it (by winning every race). It's an Alonso-like WDC car, to play the numbers game with.

There was an interview on Antena3 (you surely remember Nira Juanco :P) with Flavio and he was saying that with last year's Lotus Alonso would have absolutely gotten the championship. I'm not sure I agree (as if I ever would XD) but I do sometimes feel that Kimi is getting duller on-track. It's like overtaking gets harder and harder for him and all the merits for the good results are the car's. Maybe Alonso would be able to get more out of it and win this year (the car got better!) but it doesn't matter since the Ferrari also got better. So now we get to see who plays the numbers game best. If Kimi lost a bit of his mojo then he should be getting used to it and Alonso was always very good at that sort of competition. I hope Vettel doesn't run too far ahead and ruins the fun times.

There was an interview on Antena3 (you surely remember Nira Juanco tongue.png) with Flavio and he was saying that with last year's Lotus Alonso would have absolutely gotten the championship. I'm not sure I agree (as if I ever would XD) but I do sometimes feel that Kimi is getting duller on-track. It's like overtaking gets harder and harder for him and all the merits for the good results are the car's. Maybe Alonso would be able to get more out of it and win this year (the car got better!) but it doesn't matter since the Ferrari also got better. So now we get to see who plays the numbers game best. If Kimi lost a bit of his mojo then he should be getting used to it and Alonso was always very good at that sort of competition. I hope Vettel doesn't run too far ahead and ruins the fun times.

Kimi was like that last year freaky, but this year he does look more racier, but he still does'nt push the limits like he used to, maybe he just feel he has to play the percentage game now. There's some truth to how you feel, cause I definately also felt it...

I'm not sure I agree (as if I ever would XD) but I do sometimes feel that Kimi is getting duller on-track. It's like overtaking gets harder and harder for him and all the merits for the good results are the car's.

I'm a bit surprised you feel that way. In my opinion, Kimi has been one of the raciest drivers out there both this and last year, with lots of clean, surprising overtakes, especially outside DRS regions. The fact that he has done most overtakes during flying laps (not counting starts and re-starts) supports that feeling (Kimi has 25 overtakes, Mark 19 and Fernando and Felipe both 17 overtakes during flying laps).

Flavio would say Alonso would have won the WDC with any other car but the one he actually drove, so I'm not really giving him much credibility when it comes to such statements. ;)

I'm a bit surprised you feel that way. In my opinion, Kimi has been one of the raciest drivers out there both this and last year, with lots of clean, surprising overtakes, especially outside DRS regions. The fact that he has done most overtakes during flying laps (not counting starts and re-starts) supports that feeling (Kimi has 25 overtakes, Mark 19 and Fernando and Felipe both 17 overtakes during flying laps).

Flavio would say Alonso would have won the WDC with any other car but the one he actually drove, so I'm not really giving him much credibility when it comes to such statements. wink.png

Ikyrotz, as the most ardent Kimi fan, I believe he has'nt been the same since his comeback. It's not evident that the flat-out racer is there and we can take that as a good or bad thing as he's still very consistent

Kimi was like that last year freaky, but this year he does look more racier, but he still does'nt push the limits like he used to, maybe he just feel he has to play the percentage game now. There's some truth to how you feel, cause I definately also felt it...

It's interesting you say that as I feel the opposite this year - last year I felt that Kimi was not on form whereas this year I get the impression he is throwing himself into it more. The moment this struck me recently was watching track level footage of Kimi going over chicanes in Monaco and he was really chucking the car about... damnit Brad, you've turned me into a Kimi fan ohmy.pngtongue.png

Ikyrotz, as the most ardent Kimi fan, I believe he has'nt been the same since his comeback. It's not evident that the flat-out racer is there and we can take that as a good or bad thing as he's still very consistent

Take it as an excellent thing. His previous incarnation was that rubbish for everybody but the Kimi fans. He was fun at interviews, I know, by being robotic and rude but with certain candor (something that is missing nowadays, when he sounds as downright rude and quite the whinner, but thankfully still no PR guy). But as a racer? Fast was the only thing most people would have to say about him. And if being fast is very undervalued today, it was not the only vital quality to have back then. He was a sort of Massa, for teenagers in love...and Brad.

But now? Oh, boy he has grown! He is still fast, but also a much better overtaker, and a great strategist, not a Hunt, but a hunter....

I don't like his new personality in which he keeps treating everybody else like idiots and everybody think he is being funny when he is clearly not. But as a driver I rate him right now above Lewis Hamilton by a country mile, more complete than Vettel as well.

And yes, Alonso, Kimi and Lewis, the three look rather subdued. The pressure is on them this year and it's not easy. But Kimi is the one who seems to be handling himself better this year of the trio.

Well if the rumour is true and Kimi does go to Red Bull next year I think you'd see how fast he really can be. I am a Vettel fan, I've made that clear, but I'd like to see him and Kimi in the same team as it would push both of them even harder to do better I think.

He certainly has been quite cautious at times with his overtakes, but I wouldn't call that being dull on-track. On the contrary, I think he has been one of the most interesting drivers to see race, since his overtakes (and there have been plenty, like I said above), are beautiful, calculated moves that typically take 2 to 3 corners to execute. He, Fernando and Lewis are in the category of their own in this regard.

I don't like his new personality in which he keeps treating everybody else like idiots and everybody think he is being funny when he is clearly not.

HEY! Where's the evidence of that???

He certainly has been quite cautious at times with his overtakes, but I wouldn't call that being dull on-track. On the contrary, I think he has been one of the most interesting drivers to see race, since his overtakes (and there have been plenty, like I said above), are beautiful, calculated moves that typically take 2 to 3 corners to execute. He, Fernando and Lewis are in the category of their own in this regard.

Vettel has done some really nice overtakes too, especially this year when he really had to...

I thought so two.

HEY! Where's the evidence of that???

"I know what I'm doing!" And, except for Kimiphyles, nobody else seemed to believe that he was not being rude to his engineer.

"Perez is an idiot!"

"Punch him in the face!"

Shall I go on? :P

As Mr.Shadow pointed out, hardly the behavior of an Iceman.

Hey, I have just praised Kimi for the first time in my life and you are still not happy? Who are you? Kimi? :P

I'm not sure it's at all a new personality for Kimi, whether you like it or not! I can't see that he's changed at all in his public persona. He was always like that with interviews right back to the "I was having a Sh#t" instead of watching Schumi's first retirement thingy. Is it "rude" to not care about someone else's retirement? Or to think someone else is an idiot and tell them?

On Perez: I think thinking Perez is an idiot is not a unique opinion, you know, since he has been driving like an idiot quite often lately. Nobody is actually punching him in the face. Was just a joke if you watch the interview. Well, at least the interviewer seemed to find it funny laugh.png

As for treating everybody like idiots, well, I think he treats the idiots like idiots. There seems to be plenty of respect between Kimi and many of the non-idiots in the paddock, including non-idiot drivers, engineers, team principals, and even some interviewers, etc. Indeed, he seems quite popular in the paddock, so I don't think he's going around treating everybody like they're on the bottom of his shoe.

Sorry, I could lose my annual membership of the Kimi fanclub if I didn't defend him at least once a month.

"I know what I'm doing!" And, except for Kimiphyles, nobody else seemed to believe that he was not being rude to his engineer.

http://kimiraikkonenspace.com/2012/11/05/over-excited-engineer-was-warned-about-kimi/

I hope this is settled now? Yes?whistling.gif

"Perez is an idiot!"

"Punch him in the face!"

Shall I go on? tongue.png

refer to Raiinmaster above

Hey, I have just praised Kimi for the first time in my life and you are still not happy? Who are you? Kimi? tongue.png

No, when you get to the belief that Kimi's something like a demi-god, then you'll be just finesnigger.gifwhistling.gif

I'm not sure it's at all a new personality for Kimi, whether you like it or not! I can't see that he's changed at all in his public persona. He was always like that with interviews right back to the "I was having a Sh#t" instead of watching Schumi's first retirement thingy. Is it "rude" to not care about someone else's retirement? Or to think someone else is an idiot and tell them?

On Perez: I think thinking Perez is an idiot is not a unique opinion, you know, since he has been driving like an idiot quite often lately. Nobody is actually punching him in the face. Was just a joke if you watch the interview. Well, at least the interviewer seemed to find it funny laugh.png

As for treating everybody like idiots, well, I think he treats the idiots like idiots. There seems to be plenty of respect between Kimi and many of the non-idiots in the paddock, including non-idiot drivers, engineers, team principals, and even some interviewers, etc. Indeed, he seems quite popular in the paddock, so I don't think he's going around treating everybody like they're on the bottom of his shoe.

Sorry, I could lose my annual membership of the Kimi fanclub if I didn't defend him at least once a month.

http://kimiraikkonen...ned-about-kimi/

https://plus.google....sts/U84vdhC5r4g

I hope this is settled now? Yes?whistling.gif

refer to Raiinmaster above

No, when you get to the belief that Kimi's something like a demi-god, then you'll be just finesnigger.gifwhistling.gif

Sory but there is a confusion here: whether he has the right or not to be annoyed is irrelevant. The criticism is that he is not the Iceman anymore. That he gets angry and snappy now.

He was like that before? Maybe, I used to think that he was funny with his "taking a Sh#t" comments back then. Now, they don't sound funny. As I said, I watched American Top Gear the past days. Well, the old Kimi sounded like Top Gear UK and the new one like Top Gear USA :P

No confusion at all! Was just discussing how justified his actions were - that relates to whether they are acceptable or not.

As for the change, well, he definitely got angry in the past, too! Like that photographer incident. The iceman thing was entirely our creation, not his. So we were wrong about him being an unemotional robot and he is actually a person who gets annoyed when a photographer gets in his face, or another driver ruins his race, or a journalist asks something stupid. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that our perceptions of people we don't know are always too simple. Whether you find his comments funny is a different thing altogether, fair enough.

I guess the punching in the face comment isn't surprising since Kimi is a James Hunt fan. It's sort of funny that drivers used to actually throw punches and now it's terrible if they even mention another driver getting punched :lol:

Now, let's not discuss this any further or somebody might get punched in the face (hopefully Andres).

No confusion at all! Was just discussing how justified his actions were - that relates to whether they are acceptable or not.

As for the change, well, he definitely got angry in the past, too! Like that photographer incident. The iceman thing was entirely our creation, not his. So we were wrong about him being an unemotional robot and he is actually a person who gets annoyed when a photographer gets in his face, or another driver ruins his race, or a journalist asks something stupid. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that our perceptions of people we don't know are always too simple. Whether you find his comments funny is a different thing altogether, fair enough.

I guess the punching in the face comment isn't surprising since Kimi is a James Hunt fan. It's sort of funny that drivers used to actually throw punches and now it's terrible if they even mention another driver getting punched laugh.png

Now, let's not discuss this any further or somebody might get punched in the face (hopefully Andres).

:lol: You wish!

And for the record I don't think there's anything terrible in what he said, but neither makes me more sympathetic towards him.

For example, Brad keeps saying that Vettel is the best. I don't think he should be shot immediately for saying that! I would merely disagree with him.

And then shoot him.

I guess the punching in the face comment isn't surprising since Kimi is a James Hunt fan. It's sort of funny that drivers used to actually throw punches and now it's terrible if they even mention another driver getting punched laugh.png

I grant you this:1) He just finished the race and his emotions were running high 2)Formula 1 drivers have to possess an amount of aggression and we should not have expectations of them being all calm diplomats.

However, commiting assault or calling for it when talking to reporters reflects negatively on him and of his team as well. I don't have a problem with him thinking it (I'd probably think the same thing if I were in his shoes, for the matter) nor do I have a problem with him calling any driver an idiot. But there are certain rules when dealing with reporters whose jobs are to sell a story/sensationalist piece/scandal. Just realise that there is a filter between what you think and what you say. He knew they were going to milk the bejesus out of it until the next race comes along.

Personally I see him differently now after he said that. I know he is a fun loving guy and all, just that now I percieve his attitude to be someone who suffers from a problem of not being very capable of expressing himself articulately and as a result the venting of any frustration is done a bit clumsily.

Basically: excellent driver, fun loving guy, deep seated communication problems, short temper

One other thing to note: Perez stayed calm and never replied with another stupid remark, unless he did and I did not ear about it.

The guy is not easily intimated and has massive confidence in himself; two great qualities for a race driver.

One other thing to note: Perez stayed calm and never replied with another stupid remark, unless he did and I did not ear about it.

The guy is not easily intimated and has massive confidence in himself; two great qualities for a race driver.

oh he did reply with ANOTHER stupid remark...that it was'nt his but Kimi's fault...