Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Sergio Perez - Hero Or Villain ?

Given that his plan was to pass both drivers, and it didn't work out in either case, all that is left from those moves is:

- Forcing competitor off-track to avoid collision

- Cutting the chicane for completely missing braking point, and at the same time forcing competitor off-track to avoid collision

- Collide with competitor.

Not a very good record, IMO. He had one good move in the race, the second attempt on Button. All the rest were nothing to be proud of. The other Mexican in the race was much more successful!

Please see may answer to the Quit one.

It was not dirty I assure you. Sorry if it sounded dirty.

I like what I saw in Monaco and in the two previous races. IMHO he has got alltitude and superior habilities, but hey, I could be wrong and we'll see at the end of the year where he stands.

:lol: No, I was making a joke about what I said what you said didn't sound dirty. (I hope!)

I understand you like Perez and he has indeed showed some glimpses of talent. BUt you must also understand that we have seen many young promises like him before and many never got past the young promise stage (think of Kamui, Heidfeld and Sato in recent years). Can he be the next Schumacher? Sure, why not? Is he now? Not a chance. He is not even at Heidfeld's level. So you should udnderstand that it won't be easy for you to make many converts to the Church of Perez. :D

It's difficult to say anything about this that isn't (or at least should be) completely obvious.

Of course, everybody wants drivers who want to race and overtake. But there are two parts in judging something: the trying part and the actual result. It's really great that Perez tries and his mistakes are nothing that many drivers haven't been through since there have been racing drivers. But to actually be rated well? You have to look at the results part. So far, so unimpressive.

The comparison with Gilles works in the same sort of way. They both tried. The difference is Gilles had results and what's more, the respect of his competitors. The thing that is working against Perez is the fact that the trying part is the easy part; it's the results part that gets you. Historically, many drivers had a racing spirit and wanted to battle. Not that many of them became any good, even fewer champions, almost none legends. Perez's success/failure ratio is not very good, at the moment. Which is not much of a prejudice against him, other than what was said above, about what he might achieve. Just means at the moment it is silly to proclaim him great as it would be silly to write him off.

I still tend to think Perez can be a strong driver in the future and I think his capacity to learn is better than Grosjean's or Maldonado's, but I can hold that view whilst admitting his performance at Monaco was nothing but a good impression of a bull in a china shop.

As for Raikkonen's punching comment, for the last time, it was a joke! Can I say for the record I don't actually want Andres to get assaulted, either. Maybe some terrible STD, but not assaulted.

Edit:- I failed.

Again, analysis differ depending who you ask. In this forum, Perez is "clearly" in impressive and did nothing special which would be sign of better things to come. Here in Montreal, and in my view, what he already achieved is enough to show that he has got habilities beyond a average guy like Heidfeld for example.

1. Good set of skills: a) His overtaking habilities are sensational (I know you disagree, but it is my analysis); B) He can preserve tires as well anyone (4 pit stops against 5 for Button a few weeks ago and he was much stronger than button in the last portion of the race-only stayed behind because of team order, which was a shame IMO); c) he is very strong on the wet.

2. These skills, not luck, allowed him to outdrivecbutton in the last three races, eventhough button is a top 5 driver.

3. He showed signs of things to come last year and was hired by one of the best ever f1 team, whose people know what they are doing, even if some are doubting their choice of Perez. I think it was a great choice and they be rewarded sooner than later for it.

I think I repeated myself enough on this subject and I would not want to bore you with my one sided opinion, so i will let Perez do the talking on the track for now.

Again, analysis differ depending who you ask. In this forum, Perez is "clearly" in impressive and did nothing special which would be sign of better things to come. Here in Montreal, and in my view, what he already achieved is enough to show that he has got habilities beyond a average guy like Heidfeld for example.

1. Good set of skills: a) His overtaking habilities are sensational (I know you disagree, but it is my analysis); B) he can preserve tires as well anyone (4 pit stops against 5 for Button a few weeks ago and he was much stronger than button in the last portion of the race-only stayed behind because of team order, which was a shame IMO); c) he is very strong on the wet.

2. These skills, not luck, allowed him to outdrivecbutton in the last three races, eventhough button is a top 5 driver.

3. He showed signs of things to come last year and was hired by one of the best ever f1 team, whose people know what they are doing, even if some are doubting their choice of Perez. I think it was a great choice and they be rewarded sooner than later for it.

I think I repeated myself enough on this subject and I would not want to bore you with my one sided opinion, so i will let Perez do the talking on the track for now.

1. Good set of skills: a) His overtaking habilities are sensational (I know you disagree, but it is my analysis); B) he can preserve tires as well anyone (4 pit stops against 5 for Button a few weeks ago and he was much stronger than button in the last portion of the race-only stayed behind because of team order, which was a shame IMO); c) he is very strong on the wet.

Its abilities....not habilities... thumb.gif

And clicking three times doesn't make it so either :P

Thanks for the English lesson; I'm still learning.

Sorry for the triple post. I was back from a party last night...

The problem with discussing all these drivers like Pérez, Grosjean, or whomever, is that we have this weird assumption that there's an endless supply of people who could replace them and do a better job.

In my opinion, there isn't.

Give them time and enjoy the exciting moments. I think we set our expectations too high during that time period in which Hamilton, Vettel, and Kubica all debuted, making instant impressions. Somewhere in that, we figured that must be how all young drivers take to F1. That's just not the case. We aren't used to waiting for drivers to learn because the last crop of learners took no time at all.

The only other thing I would offer is that GP2 really owes it to the racing community to figure out what its driving standards are. I've caught some of the races this year, and it seems to me that there's always some kind of controversy (none of which is helped by Will Buxton, who freaks out any time anyone goes wide and demands an investigation, only to be soothed by Jérôme d'Ambrosio).

The kind of driving he is doing, and the calibre of drivers he is p**sing off... I just worry that he doesn't have the talent to back up his tough talk. We'll see I guess, but I wouldn't be jumping out of my skin if someone told me I would be driving with him as a teammate.

The kind of driving he is doing, and the calibre of drivers he is p**sing off... I just worry that he doesn't have the talent to back up his tough talk. We'll see I guess, but I wouldn't be jumping out of my skin if someone told me I would be driving with him as a teammate.

Maybe he's a little desperate for recognition for now. I say he can drive but needs to be a little bit patient. "Controlled-aggressiveness" if you will , may help him a little. Learn the car more, work with his team/mate and drive with a little more respect to others.

In Canada though he did controlled his aggressiveness and again beat Button - good job !

It's important Perez beats Button in a bad car, because beating Button in a bad car is a hell of a lot easier than beating him in a good one.

It's important Perez beats Button in a bad car, because beating Button in a bad car is a hell of a lot easier than beating him in a good one.

It will be interesting to see how he does against Button as the car improved with time. I'm sure the car will be better in the UK. This is one of the best teams and I'm sure they will be back soon.

I think Perez could match Jenson in any car.

Jenson is carp outside his very narrow comfort zone with the cars. But give JB a car that suits him and IMHO he could be even better than Vettel. Perez has a broader working range, so I expect to come on top of Jenon most of the time, but so far there's nothing Sergio has done to prove me he can reach the levels that Jenson can and had reached in the past.

Still, it's a matter of a guy that has 1/1000 chances of having the right car for him to deliver a master race vs a guy with 2/5 chances of having an average to good race.

With a good McLaren car this would have been an interesting match. With the abysmal car they have, it is a rather poor choice of drivers for this moment.

The irony: I think Button would have crushed Nico at Merc, and Lewis would have done so much more with this dog of a car that is the McLaren. Still, best for Lewis not to be right now at Macca as even if he would have made it so much better for the car, the other way around is not true so he would look even worse than Roscoe by now.

Jenson is carp outside his very narrow comfort zone with the cars. But give JB a car that suits him and IMHO he could be even better than Vettel. Perez has a broader working range, so I expect to come on top of Jenon most of the time, but so far there's nothing Sergio has done to prove me he can reach the levels that Jenson can and had reached in the past.

Really? That would mean better than Alonso too, cause Vettel is currently the nr1 driver in F1

It will be interesting to see how he does against Button as the car improved with time. I'm sure the car will be better in the UK. This is one of the best teams and I'm sure they will be back soon.

I think Perez could match Jenson in any car.

Yep, it'll be interesting to see. It wouldn't surprise me if he could, but it's definitely a harder challenge since Button is generally not great in bad cars.

Still, it's a matter of a guy that has 1/1000 chances of having the right car for him to deliver a master race vs a guy with 2/5 chances of having an average to good race.

With a good McLaren car this would have been an interesting match. With the abysmal car they have, it is a rather poor choice of drivers for this moment.

The irony: I think Button would have crushed Nico at Merc, and Lewis would have done so much more with this dog of a car that is the McLaren. Still, best for Lewis not to be right now at Macca as even if he would have made it so much better for the car, the other way around is not true so he would look even worse than Roscoe by now.

Agreed.

Only contentious part being about Vettel and Button. Of course, Button could be faster than Vettel in a great car. He just wouldn't be over a season, not in a million years tongue.png Vettel is too quick for him, too smart, too well prepared, and for my money, more complete these days too.

Really? That would mean better than Alonso too, cause Vettel is currently the nr1 driver in F1

Errr..yeah, right...if that's what you think :P

Only contentious part being about Vettel and Button. Of course, Button could be faster than Vettel in a great car. He just wouldn't be over a season, not in a million years tongue.png Vettel is too quick for him, too smart, too well prepared, and for my money, more complete these days too.

Errr..yeah, right...if that's what you think tongue.png

see, you guys get right to the point with so much shorter postwhistling.gif

Yep, it'll be interesting to see. It wouldn't surprise me if he could, but it's definitely a harder challenge since Button is generally not great in bad cars.

Agreed.

Yeah, you both got me. I got a little bit carried away trying to explain that Jenson can be better. But yes, Seb is better.

Sigh.

Yeah, you both got me. I got a little bit carried away trying to explain that Jenson can be better. But yes, Seb is better.

Sigh.

laugh.png Happens to the best of us

In fact, i think button would beat vettel in the same car over a year. Here are my to five and vettel is 5th.

Fernando, Lewis, kimi, button, vettel.

Sigh.

The truth hurts sometimes don't it? ;)

The truth hurts sometimes don't it? wink.png

Bah, you know what they say:

Revenge is a dish best served out of some food cannon that shoots out the food with enough force to kill. Also, the food is poisoned.

Or something like that.

In fact, i think button would beat vettel in the same car over a year. Here are my to five and vettel is 5th.

Fernando, Lewis, kimi, button, vettel.

I don't see how but each his own cool22.gif