Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

2013 24 Hours Of Le Mans

It's an Audi one-two-three at the moment, followed by the two Toyotas. The #7 dropped back on the restart, but Davidson took the lead in the #8 after the Audis stopped. He has dropped back thanks to a slow pit stop however.

Some very sad new floating around relating to the earlier crash.

I'll wait before posting anything.

The ACO has released a statement. Contrary to reports earlier today, Allan Simonsen has sadly died following injuries sustained in the crash at Terte Rouge.

Shocked, and feel sick. This race doesn't matter any more.

The ACO has released a statement. Contrary to reports earlier today, Allan Simonsen has sadly died following injuries sustained in the crash at Terte Rouge.

Shocked, and feel sick. This race doesn't matter any more.

man, thats sad, was that the guy that avoided the spinning Ferrari?? Did'nt see the accident but saw the repairs to the fence that went on for ages...

Yes, he was. Unclear as to what, exactly, happened. Whether something broke on his car, or whether he got nerfed from behind by the Corvette, or simply made a driver error in the tricky conditions and lost it on his own.

But whatever, the outcome is the same.

Yes, he was. Unclear as to what, exactly, happened. Whether something broke on his car, or whether he got nerfed from behind by the Corvette, or simply made a driver error in the tricky conditions and lost it on his own.

But whatever, the outcome is the same.

There was no contact with another car. There is on-board from the #74 in addition to the #73, though I find the whole thing sickening to watch. But I saw it earlier, before I knew the outcome, and there was no contact.

Anyway, wow. :(

Another fatality in racing. It's amazing that the Simonsen family requested AMR finish the race because I sure can't take it anymore. I need a break from auto racing. These deaths are just too much for me. That the Simonsen family made that request of AMR is a positive sign. I hope peace comes their way.

This sport's just too much for me. :(

I'm very sorry to hear about this loss. Le Mans is probably the greatest race in the world, but no doubt also one of the most dangerous.

I'm very sorry to hear about this loss. Le Mans is probably the greatest race in the world, but no doubt also one of the most dangerous.

I think we tend to underestimate or just get complacent to the speed these guys carry, in any motorsport. TV slows it down for us...sortoff. It is also testament to the great care F1 has taken to ensure driver safety in a sport with greater control and we take things for granted... Le Mans is just way different and you really cant patch all the holes...

ah, the lead car is out again, after having a tyre failure and dragging the thing back to the pits. 41 minutes fixing delay, got some work to do

Always loved the night-racing part

There was no contact with another car. There is on-board from the #74 in addition to the #73, though I find the whole thing sickening to watch. But I saw it earlier, before I knew the outcome, and there was no contact.

Anyway, wow. sad.png

Another fatality in racing. It's amazing that the Simonsen family requested AMR finish the race because I sure can't take it anymore. I need a break from auto racing. These deaths are just too much for me. That the Simonsen family made that request of AMR is a positive sign. I hope peace comes their way.

This sport's just too much for me. sad.png

Eric,

I know this is going to sound harsh, but if motorsport is too much for you, then so too should anything be involving a car. More people are going to die going to die driving to work in the next hour than there will be fatalities in motorsport for the whole year.

Difference here being is that the schmuck driving to work doesn't expect to be killed in a car smash. He is neither prepared mentally for it, nor does he drive a car offering any form of real surviviability. The race car driver that gets into a race car knows full well that they might not get back out again. It is a risk that they take. It is a risk that their families let them take.

When I get into the c#ckpit of my car, I sometimes very briefly think about it, and think about my daughter. But I still strap in, and lock and load 125Hp to my back, quite literally.

If NASA had stopped when they had the fire on the launch pad, then you'd have never have had the Space Shuttles.

You can't stop doing or liking something becuase someone, somewhere, gets hurt or killed. That's just life.

It doesn't make their loss of life meaningless, but don't make what they did meaningless, otherwise you make them meaningless.

Was shocked to hear the news on Allan's death.

One more mark of shame. If tetre rouge had a tyre barrier ahead of the steel barriers we would still have him around. According to testimony from the #74 Corvette driver at the time (on Eurosport coverage) he didn't come into contact with any other car. What seems to have happened is Allan stepped onto the kerb/outside the line and the car went from under him backwards into the barrier. Anyway, no use speculating the causes now before the ACO does their investigation into the matter. I hope they will be thorough and find the causes, whether its a driver error or a mechanical issue as well as to find a way to make the race safer.

Meanwhile in LMP1, reliability seems to be a surprising issue for all the participants

So the 2 Audi's had a problem, one a tyre failure and one electronics, things were going so well, sailing in the top 3 positions...yeah, got some work to do

Eric,

I know this is going to sound harsh, but if motorsport is too much for you, then so too should anything be involving a car. More people are going to die going to die driving to work in the next hour than there will be fatalities in motorsport for the whole year.

Difference here being is that the schmuck driving to work doesn't expect to be killed in a car smash. He is neither prepared mentally for it, nor does he drive a car offering any form of real surviviability. The race car driver that gets into a race car knows full well that they might not get back out again. It is a risk that they take. It is a risk that their families let them take.

When I get into the c#ckpit of my car, I sometimes very briefly think about it, and think about my daughter. But I still strap in, and lock and load 125Hp to my back, quite literally.

If NASA had stopped when they had the fire on the launch pad, then you'd have never have had the Space Shuttles.

You can't stop doing or liking something becuase someone, somewhere, gets hurt or killed. That's just life.

It doesn't make their loss of life meaningless, but don't make what they did meaningless, otherwise you make them meaningless.

+1

It sucks, and the race continues, but it means little to me right now.

I've been trying not to think about it too much as I've been reporting on the race for another site, but it is hard not to. It is hard to comprehend given the huge accidents that McNish/Rockenfeller (2011) and Davidson (2012) have all had here. They survived. Davidson suffered back injuries, but is thankfully still with us...my point is all this time people thought a fatality would be through an airborne prototype accident, and then this happens in the GT class...

It's a dangerous race, but when the last fatality at this track took place in 1997 (a car crashed in practice) and the last fatality in race conditions took place in I think 1986, and it is easy to get complacent and think that these things don't happen any more.

For what it is worth, the race is pretty exciting right now given Audis problems. But whoever wins, there won't be the traditional celebrations.

Just hoping for an Aston Martin win now.

Pretty impressive form from Toyota. Not many expected them to be this close to the Audis.

LMP2, the one category everyone expected to be tight, seems to be the most prdictable so far. Also that car 49's owner needs to get his head checked. Swerving across the track was so very dangerous. Special mention to the pit crew of the 51 Italian Ferrari. That pit release was just outright ridiculous

GTE Pro - sad for Aston, but happy for Manthey. Plus the American cars may not be so quick, but boy are they solid and reliable.

Less than 2 hours to go

And Patrick Dempsey may have all the wrong sort of attention upon him, but he is doing very well so far. Proof positive he's a racing driver, and not much of an actortongue.png

#7 Toyota crashes out of fourth place at Porsche Curves in heavy rain.

GTE Pro battle for the lead nose to tail!

What drama we've suddenly got!

It is pouring down right now. Safety car out for multiple incidents on circuit.

An hour and ten to go...difficult to know whether this'll end under safety car or not.

Despite climbing out the car and taking his helmet off, Lapierre has dragged the #7 back to the pits.

The rain seems to have abated for a moment, but the track is soaking wet.

Race finally is about to get going for a last half hour of action. But we might not be done with the rain yet.