Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Grand Prix Du Canada

It was a good race I thought, some actual racing happened and that's always a bonus. Of course Seb winning was always going to make me happy.

The booing during the interviews was unsportsmanlike and I didn't like that either.

The news on the marshall is awful, just awful. My thoughts are with his family and friends right now, what a tragedy.

Thats exactly whats happening...pity

It will be sad to see a team this good but fall apart because of Financial difficulty. Hope not. Team Lotus has brought excitement to F1 this season including Grosjean's , you know...

Looks like RBR is getting a hang of the tyres, very early in the season...lovely stuff

and not so lovely news for the othersmeh.png

I missed this live - I was in Sweden last week. For me, McLaren have to give up on this pig they have produced. A new car in the season before a whole new spec change was pure madness. The lacklustre performance of the marque this year has seriously harmed the the team and driven down the stock of it's drivers enormously. Just how Button and Perez continue from here is tough to figure. If Jenson doesn't see retirement looming large then he needs to get the team into shape. Either that, or move on. RBR continue to dominate, seemingly at will. Mercedes have a very fast car that cooks it's tyres while Ferrari alway seem to find a way to the podium. Lotus had a bad result but remain a huge threat. Great performance by Force India and STR.

Sorry to hear about the marshall's passing. Very sad, indeed. I, too, feel bad for the person operating the crane who will have to live with this despite being at no real fault. :(

Thanks, James, for clarifying the Alonso thing.

Ikyrotz, I'm thinking it was a "track conditions" light. It was yellow and red flashing on the other side (though just yellow on the one side) and under a Pirelli P-Zero banner, which always seems to signify a "track conditions" light. I'm not sure why it hasn't been made into a bigger deal; seems only NBC picked up on it. That's either keen by NBC, or moronic, in that everyone else knew it wasn't a caution (:P). At the time, there was no graphic for a local yellow (I saw the yellow light flashing when it happened live, and looked up for that), and there was no incident on that part of the track. I'd certainly love clarification there.

One other thing I need to see: van der Garde and Hülkenberg. van der Garde was issued a five-place grid penalty. When I saw it, it looked to me like Hülkenberg caused it. I think I saw it wrong, then. :lol:

(van der Garde was quite the mess. It was probably unprofessional, but David Hobbs just started laughing at him when he saw he was off again. I didn't disagree).

Sorry to hear about the track marshall. Sounds like an extremely unfortunate set of circumstances as these things so often are.

As to the race, it was nice to see drivers really pushing and some good battles, not least between Hamilton and Alonso. Hamilton apparently said that being hunted down by Alonso is like being chased by a bull :D

Bottas did about as much as could be expected given the car. At least he didn't make an idiot of himself on the first lap with everybody attacking him. Seems smart but at the moment he's in about the same position as the Hulk was in (maybe still is) after that pole position at Brazil. Needs some more good performances but I'm hopeful.

I always like to see the psychology of the drivers in the pre-podium room. Funny to see Alonso and Hamilton staring away from each other while Vettel confidently holds the centre ;) I suppose he did win, after all. As for the podium, never nice to see booing when Vettel committed no fouls but evidently Lewis and Alonso are both quite popular in Canada. There's no accounting for taste.

Sorry to hear about the marshall's passing. Very sad, indeed. I, too, feel bad for the person operating the crane who will have to live with this despite being at no real fault. sad.png

Thanks, James, for clarifying the Alonso thing.

Ikyrotz, I'm thinking it was a "track conditions" light. It was yellow and red flashing on the other side (though just yellow on the one side) and under a Pirelli P-Zero banner, which always seems to signify a "track conditions" light. I'm not sure why it hasn't been made into a bigger deal; seems only NBC picked up on it. That's either keen by NBC, or moronic, in that everyone else knew it wasn't a caution (tongue.png). At the time, there was no graphic for a local yellow (I saw the yellow light flashing when it happened live, and looked up for that), and there was no incident on that part of the track. I'd certainly love clarification there.

One other thing I need to see: van der Garde and Hülkenberg. van der Garde was issued a five-place grid penalty. When I saw it, it looked to me like Hülkenberg caused it. I think I saw it wrong, then. laugh.png

(van der Garde was quite the mess. It was probably unprofessional, but David Hobbs just started laughing at him when he saw he was off again. I didn't disagree).

I agree about VDG vs the Hulk, if somebody seemed at fault, it was Nico from here as well. About Alonso, I didn't noticed it here, neither did the TV guys and it seems FIA, the other teams, etc. have nothing to report as well. If there was a light it was either misinterpreted by NBC or an error.

As tragic as the accident of the marshall was, on the profesional level it does not blemish the high safety standards of nowadays F1 as it seems to have been a freak set of circumstances and not a safety flaw.

Finally, the dominant victory by Vettel make it seem more boring than the race actually was, we saw drivers racing it all out with "normal" number of pitstops at Canada of all places.

Where were the 7 pitstops we were promised?!?!

Oh, now there's no one complaining about Pirelli's "useless" tyres now that precious Herr-Fingerkinder has won in a dominant fashion? Cracks me up..

McLaren- please just concentrate on 2014 from now on. Just write off the year while your rivals push until the end of this one. You've already spent a lot of precious resources on this gamble that hasn't worked out. Seeing the car bouncing on the straights, anyone with a basic knowledge of fluid dynamics can see that airflow is being disrupted and not channeled to its intended directions and simply just creating pockets of drag everywhere on the car. Sometimes knowing when to stop flogging a dead horse and swallowing one's pride can be a courageous and dignified thing. Let your drivers do the best they can with what you have and also let them know you have something special lined up for them next year. I'm sure they will be able to cope with that.

It still was a good race to watch. Wouldn't call it boring at all. Fingerkinder did a perfect job and El-Monobrow and Roscoe's dad did well to maximise what they had. Even Felipinho-crash-tester gave a lot of excitement in his initial push to the front. Di Resta and Vergne put in star quality performances.

Sad news about the marshall. We rarely appreciate the danger these people expose themselves to voluntarily, to make sure others do not get hurt or killed. He, and others like him deserve our gratitude for their sacrifice.

If there was a light it was either misinterpreted by NBC or an error.

As tragic as the accident of the marshall was, on the profesional level it does not blemish the high safety standards of nowadays F1 as it seems to have been a freak set of circumstances and not a safety flaw.

Finally, the dominant victory by Vettel make it seem more boring than the race actually was, we saw drivers racing it all out with "normal" number of pitstops at Canada of all places.

The Alonso thing was a track surface light, sort of like Vettel in São Paulo. The front looked like it was a pure yellow one, but from the back you can see it is yellow/orange. All cleared up. So I have NBC not knowing the lights, and UniMás not knowing what a "safety car window" is, and me being a total lemming and not figuring either thing out for myself. :P

Agree with you on the other stuff, too.

Thought it was a great race, actually.

Where were the 7 pitstops we were promised?!?!

Oh, now there's no one complaining about Pirelli's "useless" tyres now that precious Herr-Fingerkinder has won in a dominant fashion? Cracks me up..

:lol: I know. That medium compound sure looked durable to me.

DRS is a little too strong sometimes, like Canada, but I actually like the fact it produces those "no you go first" kind of games. It's nice to see drivers thinking and trying to be tactical. Reminds me of the kind of tricks Rossi used to pull.

I also thought it was really cool to watch them battling at that level. It's a good argument against "DRS means no-skills overtake". Well, that was much about skills and brains.

I would have rather avoided a DRS in Canada, but there still was top level racing.

I think people is too focused on berating things and has forgotten how bad racing has been not just in the past few years, but in many instances even in the golden years.

My advice: enjoy, these are some very unique seasons in Formula 1. In a few years this will be remembered as a new golden age, trust me.

And as somebody else noted, a tribute to the current level of drivers is the fact that people is calling GVDG an idiot for providing the few bonheaded moves . And they weren't even worth a Safety car. Now go watch previous seasons and tell me how many van der gardesque moves you can count in each race.

I thought the DRS worked well because it led into two corners that allow for re-pass/battling. Both corners at the end of the DRS zones were corners in which inside becomes outside and outside becomes inside, so it was never a "free pass." No one got by on the straight, that I saw; all DRS overtakes were into 1 and 2 and actually in the corners. The only "simple" one was Alonso on Webber, because Webber was lacking front downforce (wing damage) and couldn't brake as late as Alonso, yet even then, Alonso was really hanging it out there and drove it in super hard. He kept it going very well. So, it was a great overtake, even against a wounded car.

I was surprised that DRS was so good, because the map of it made it seem like it'd be the Alabama Lottery in Talladega. Not so. Montréal is a good circuit, and good circuits tend to make DRS more measured, no matter what the FIA does.

JV comments about Kimi and Vettel I put down to jealousy. I wish he would stop with these comments before he erodes what respect I have left for him. He was a fantastic driver and his accomplishments might not be matched anytime soon. Who here even bothers with keeping up to date with IndyCar now!? How far has that series fallen, it's such a shame.

Anyway JV needs to put a sock in it. But I suspect he is now saying things he might not even believe himself to keem him in the news, and get the medias attention.

(Poor Jacques, actually. How anyone can be an F1 World Champion and an Indianapolis 500 winner, from two laps down no less, and get no respect at all is sort of baffling if you come from the perspective where all other champions of both F1 and the 500 are considered the best of the best. No one else, in modern times, has made the transition from CART/Indy to F1 so smoothly, and many were afforded good equipment, as well. There's your measure and balance for the post...or just wishy-washiness. Not sure. tongue.png)

In his williams days I think he got all the respect he deserved. Trouble started (as others have mentioned) with that BAR-adventure and publically stating that they were going to win their first ever race. Then in that race, he smacked into the wall. Then Jenson arrived and JV tried, and failed, trash-talk. He was also then put in the shade by the young upstart, and spent the next couple of seasons also getting his arse handed to him by 'lesser' team-mates. By that point (2005-2006), and an embarrassing period spent at Renault, a lot of that respect had waned.

But history books will be kinder because they will always show his extremely impressive motor-racing achievements