Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Formula E

Liuzzi driving in Fromula E, who could ask for more?

I'm so looking forward to see these races.

Awesome! Liuzzi's a pretty quick driver. Him & the likes of Buemi & Sato should grab a few peoples attention to the series.

Not sure if you guys (and gals) have seen the latest on this:

Race Schedule: http://www.fiaformulae.com/calendar

Runs from September through to June inc. a race in Buenos Aires (thought of you Andres wink.png ) - so something to talk about during the off season (apart from guns, religion, global warming, how sh*t a driver <INSERT NAME> is?, etc and of course, Liuzzi... on no... wait, that won't work as Liuzzi is in there :o

Drivers (there are some interesting drivers in there, including <gasp> a girly!)... and THE STIG! (well a former Stig):

Daniel Abt (GER)

Christijan Albers (NLD)

Jaime Alguersuari (ESP)

Marco Andretti (USA)

Sébastien Bourdais (FRA)

Alex Brundle (GBR)

Sebastien Buemi (CHE)

Karun Chandhok (IND)

Ben Collins (GBR)

Conor Daly (USA)

Robert Doornbos (NLD)

Lucas di Grassi (BRA)

John R. Hildebrand Jr. (USA)

Ma Qing Hua (CHN)

Narain Karthikeyan (IND)

Christian Klien (AUT)

Katherine Legge (GBR)

Vitantonio Liuzzi (ITA)

Nicolas Minassian (FRA)

Franck Montagny (FRA)

Takuma Sato (JPN)

Bruno Senna (BRA)

Oriol Servia (ESP)

Adrien Tambay (FRA)

Wow I didn't read about the drivers' list. Great names! So far there's nothing I don't like about these series...I so want this to be as good as it seems on paper!

Wow I didn't read about the drivers' list. Great names! So far there's nothing I don't like about these series...I so want this to be as good as it seems on paper!

You're just excited 'cos Liuzzi has got a drive biggrin.png

Seriously, agree - looks interesting.

Only things which are a bit odd is that 1) they have two mandatory pit stops in which they will change cars and 2) there are 24 drivers but only 20 seats and all drivers get a drive (the teams pick and chose). But I guess this will liven things up a bit. Might even go to the race in London.

There's quite a bit of talent (apart from Marco smile.png ) in there....

I don't give a rat's hairy arse how the cars are powered. Put some racing drivers with big, shiny steel balls behind the wheel of a bunch of dusty VW beetles and I'll watch it. The quality of a race has always been dependent on the quality of the drivers, not the cars. This 'E' series has attracted a few good drivers so I say race on!

Lot's of familiar names, mostly because it appears to be the 'F1 rejects' series! Or is that already what Indycar is?

Tambay any relation to Patrick?

I don't give a rat's hairy arse how the cars are powered.

Rats' arses are hairy? ohmy.png And there was I thinking they were baldies smile.png

I agree. Will be interesting to see a mix of drivers using the same spec car....

edit as I messed up my apostrophes....

Lot's of familiar names, mostly because it appears to be the 'F1 rejects' series! Or is that already what Indycar is?

Oooh mee-oowww!!! :) Actually, I'll have you know that Indycar has rejects from a whole range of series :P:D

Seriously, I have a soft-spot for Indycar and there are some good drivers in there (apart from Paul Tracy :o )

I see we have a Brundle in there too. But will f1 teams see it as a relevant stepping stone to f1? I mean what if an F1 reject dominates the series, will he suddenly be seen as hot property again? Right now I'm thinking no. Kind of like how no-one cared who won A1GP.

Rats' arses are hairy? ohmy.png And there was I thinking they were baldies smile.png.

Ouch! Andres, are you gonna take this kind of treatment lying down?

I see we have a Brundle in there too. But will f1 teams see it as a relevant stepping stone to f1? I mean what if an F1 reject dominates the series, will he suddenly be seen as hot property again? Right now I'm thinking no. Kind of like how no-one cared who won A1GP.

Brundle? Really? Maybe I was too quick to praise the series.....

Only Lucas di Grassi and Daniel Abt actually have rides, both with the Abt team. The drivers' club is a bit confusing. You could hire someone not on that list, technically.

Added to it today were Jarno Trulli, Nick Heidfeld, Jérôme d'Ambrosio, and Sam Bird.

I don't think Formula E is intended to be a stepping stone to F1. If anything graduates, it will be the technology, or other concepts Formula E is trying out (budget cap in the future, certain fan engagement things). I'm convinced the FIA has set this up to A) get different parties into racing that weren't and B) test things out with almost zero risk to evaluate their potential in F1. I'm not sure any driver is really looking at it as a way to go to F1, though the cars will have a ton of torque out of the corners, for one similarity. Top speed will be very, very low, though (which I, myself, appreciate).

I would also doubt those now out of F1 are trying to use this to get back to F1 as much as they are just trying to continue having a career in racing. Consider all the F1 experience you might find at Le Mans, a big race in the motorsports community. None of those drivers usually return to F1, and none are really trying to. They just want to be paid to race and that's their opportunity.

That said, Nico Hülkenberg made his name in A1GP. Kamui Kobayashi returned to F1 from sports cars. Narain Karthikeyan and Kimi Räikkönen both raced in NASCAR's Truck division before coming back. So, if anyone here is trying to get to F1, where they are racing means less than how they are being financially backed.

Virgin Racing confirmed Jaime Alguersuari and Sam Bird.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/virgin-driver-annoucement

In my opinion, Alguersuari is the most capable driver in the Driver's Club (you can hire drivers from outside, but I assume most will come from the list as Alguersuari and Bird did), so I'm not surprised he is one of the first signed up.

I believe the only other confirmed drivers are Daniel Abt and Lucas di Grassi on the Abt team.

Oriol Servià is working with (may even have a stake in) Dragon Racing in a leadership role. He is also the chief U. S. recruiter for Formula E. He may race for Dragon, but he may not.

Also, the calendar was updated a little: Miami on March 14 and Los Angeles on April 4 now. Why is that significant? Well, IndyCar will be in St. Petersburg, Florida a week or two after Miami, and then Long Beach, California a few weeks after Los Angeles. One wonders if Andretti Autosport wanted them paired, or if Formula E is getting aggressive in competition.

May have also mentioned before, the failed Weehawken, New Jersey F1 race could become a Formula E event. I'm comfortable with that: the track was very, very, very fast with no run-off. Kind of unsafe. But a Formula E car has a top speed of about 130 mph, not 200. So, that's better.

Bruno Senna y Chandok sign for Mahindra team

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/311296/senna-chandhok-sign-for-mahindra/

Doesn't matter if they will be the best team. They will surely compete for the one with the nicest drivers :)

Except for the voting thing (and even that could work, who knows!), every news about this series makes me want to watch it right now. I am afraid it will be a big disappointment merely because my expectations are too high.

I just keep thinking A1 was hyped up a lot but once it started people quickly lost interest and very few people were watching it on TV - I can't help bearing this in mind when I think that Formula E looks exciting. I'll still watch if I can.

Formula E did some full race simulations at Donnington Park. A short video about that day, with some old faces and new ones (what happened with Jarno's old hairdo? You know, that ridiculous schoolgirl look?) Anyways, no idea how will it pan out with the "fanboost" and such, but it surely seems like it is going to be a hoot one way or another!

I don't mind the unorthodox approach as I don't expect it to replace F1. I just want it to be fun!