Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

The Mercedes/pirelli Tyre Test Saga

And...Merc got a mere reprimand and a ban at the forthcoming YDT just as Merc asked. Which proves that I am an even lousier lawyer than all those at the IT. :D

So, they were found guilty, but it wasn't such a big deal? I guess we will have to wait for the full transcription to know. I am glad for the drivers, but kind of disappointed for the team. I think they deserved a harsher punishment.

And...Merc got a mere reprimand and a ban at the forthcoming YDT just as Merc asked. Which proves that I am an even lousier lawyer than all those at the IT. biggrin.png

So, they were found guilty, but it wasn't such a big deal? I guess we will have to wait for the full transcription to know. I am glad for the drivers, but kind of disappointed for the team. I think they deserved a harsher punishment.

Probably hinges on this -

It took into account that the FIA had given "qualified approval" to the test.

Probably hinges on this -

It took into account that the FIA had given "qualified approval" to the test.

So then the FIA's version that it was just a phone call without any specific details is wrong, and Merc must have provided something more condemning for FIA.

I guess Horner and probably Ferrari will cry for blood here.

Yeah seems a very lenient punishment. How much data can a team really get from a young driver test? Perhaps more than I imagine. At least that's another rule clarified - if you're going to test at all, in any way, make sure the whole world knows about it first!

Now for Nico & Lewis to get bombarded at the silverstone press conference, only for both to provide robotic 'the matter is closed' replies

So then the FIA's version that it was just a phone call without any specific details is wrong, and Merc must have provided something more condemning for FIA.

I guess Horner and probably Ferrari will cry for blood here.

Hard to say, but it doesn't sound like FIA's prosecution or defence, whichever it is, was any more robust than Merc's, reading between the lines.

I hope they come off scott-free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Brad Go Brad Go Brad!!!!!!!!

Hey, thats me!!!

Go Brad Go Brad Go Brad!!!!!!!!

Hey, thats me!!!

:lol: You buffoon! They did not get scot free, mind you.

So...Merc is found guilty of testing with a current car with current drivers 2 months ago. As a punishment, they are forbidden to take part in a test in which no current drivers are allowed and keep their 2 months advantage over the rest.

There must really be something else. Otherwise, it's plain stupid.

Martin Brundle has tweeted that this was all 'something about nothing' and that every team would happily trade a young driver test for a 3-day pre-race test

Martin Brundle has tweeted that this was all 'something about nothing' and that every team would happily trade a young driver test for a 3-day pre-race test

Indeed. Sounds like a guy found guilty of robbing $1,000,000 were sentenced to a reprimand and a $250,000 fine...

Indeed. Sounds like a guy found guilty of robbing $1,000,000 were sentenced to a reprimand and a $250,000 fine...

It's all in the technicalities, rather like OJ Simpson :lol:

Wow, I can't believe how lightly they got let off. I mean where is the punshiment compared to what they gained? I bet Mercedes will be laughing all the way back to their headquarters. How much more guilty can you be? Yet this is all that happens to you? I am sure we're going to see a rash of rule breaking now if that's how it's going to work out.

Do Mercedes really have a young driver program? bulls##t outcome, politically motivated, council clearly nobbled, not a lot different from what Lauda proposed. If it had been McLaren they would have been castigated.

Do Mercedes really have a young driver program?

Yes.

They have three F1 prospects in DTM who are part of their young driver program. Vietoris, Wickens, and Merhi. They've been working with Schumacher and all have F1 ambitions. It's the di Resta path, I suppose. Not that they ever use the young driver test for those guys; it's always been Sam Bird, I think.

They also have Hartley

Ah, yeah. They did sign him, didn't they? Sort of weird for him to be racing a Nissan LMP2 and a Ford Daytona Prototype, but I guess there's nothing better for him to do.

He is in the simulator, and he did the young driver test last year.

Personally I think he is better suited to prototype racing. Hopefully he has a good Le Mans this year.