Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2014 Lap Times

How do you think the new 2014 cars will fair lap time wise compared to this year?

Isn't the intention to go a little bit slower? I know they scrapped the more dramatic aerodynamic changes, so perhaps lap times will be stable.

Someone else would know better than I would. The only thing worth considering is that the 2014 tires may be entirely different, and that, too, will make a difference.

well this year they have been about 3 seconds a lap slower in the race than last year, and last year they were about 2 seconds a lap on average slower than 2011. So I would say that next year it will be another 3 or so seconds on average.

Now remember that is an average lap time for the race. On a single quali lap run many of the guys are just as fast if not faster this year than last or 2011 but when pacing for an entire race they are significantly slower. If you had an HRT from last year on last years tyres driving in a race this year they would be fighting for the lead. So with the 2014 regs and whatever crap perrelli brings next year if they are even still in then I would say a 2013 spec Caterham's speed over the entire race is the target.

Aren't the engines going to be less powerful next year? If that is case surely the cars will have to be slower unless they can make up for it in other ways, but that's a big ask.

I heard they will be slower. So. Yay :(

Well that what I originally heard but I read somewhere that they might be actually more powerful than first expected. Alain Prost said its a totally different car to drive when the turbo is introduced, turbo lag is one thing they will have to learn to cope with and adjust through throttle application on exit of corners. I was sceptical about all this in the beginning, thinking the cars would sound horrible. But from listening to the Renault sound clip they released, it sounds quite nice actually, still sounds quite similar to how they sound now, just not as high pitched. I honestly can't wait for next season now and I hope it brings a new challenger to the top.

Actually, turbo lag shouldn't be as big of a deal as you think.

They are using a special energy recovery supercharger-type thing (I'm not the most technical guy, sorry) to try to eliminate lag. It's called "e-turbo" and some of the auto manufacturers out there want it in road cars to get rid of turbo lag and be more efficient.

It depresses me that cars will once again be getting slower.

In my view, they should remain the same, and possibly be a bit faster, not slower. Going slower is not considered "progress" in any form of motorsport.

At this rate, it won't be long before F1 is no longer the fastest form of circuit racing. With the current tyres/fuel levels at the start of a race, etc, lap times that LMP1s turn are not that far adrift, which is amazing really when they are a lot heavier than a Formula One car is.

It depresses me that cars will once again be getting slower.

In my view, they should remain the same, and possibly be a bit faster, not slower. Going slower is not considered "progress" in any form of motorsport.

At this rate, it won't be long before F1 is no longer the fastest form of circuit racing. With the current tyres/fuel levels at the start of a race, etc, lap times that LMP1s turn are not that far adrift, which is amazing really when they are a lot heavier than a Formula One car is.

Couldn't agree more, but I read somewhere that the new engines are more powerful than first thought. If that's the case, it might be not much different, as the seasons go by the will get faster. It's a respectably a new thing for everybody. I think you will see a few good old engine explosions like back in the good old day. How long has it been since you saw a car like jules bianchi's marussia go up in flames like that. Been a while.

I think you will see a few good old engine explosions like back in the good old day. How long has it been since you saw a car like jules bianchi's marussia go up in flames like that. Been a while.

I'm trying to find a polite way to reply to this while expressing my strong disagreement, but I'm lacking the tact today. So just know that in no form of reality will I ever accept "engine explosions" as a good thing that we need more of. No way.

I'm trying to find a polite way to reply to this while expressing my strong disagreement, but I'm lacking the tact today. So just know that in no form of reality will I ever accept "engine explosions" as a good thing that we need more of. No way.

Also the fact that these engines have been designed to do 5 races (i think) unlike the 315km they used to be designed for will mean that seeing lots of failures like on Sunday will be rare. The engines are also "homologated". I put it in quotes because all it really means is that teams need FIA aprooval to do anything to them but the FIA approves practically anything that the teams say is in the cause of safety or reliability even if a "side-effect" is better performance.

Initial esitmates have been ramped up in recent days, they're now predicted to produce around 700hp from the engine/turbos, plus the 161hp ERS, producing up to 900hp during qualifying at full power, so more powerful than today's engines. Interestingly, the teams have apparently managed to produce much more downforce from the new chassis regulations than the FIA expected, and so cornering speeds are now predicted to be only slightly down on this year's. The engines will produce around 600nm of torque, almost twice as much as this year's and Pirelli are almost certainly going to insist on wider rear tyres as they are concerned the current tyres wouldn't cope, so better traction there too. The cars themselves will be heavier, but will carry 50kg less fuel in the race. Renault have also said in the last few days that they expect the cars to be around a second slower at the start of the year, but by the end of it they may actually end up being faster.

Interesting times smile.png

- Dan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23493372

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/460402/Renault_chief_thinks_2014_cars_to_be_faster/

Well it did throw a wild card into the mix when engines went grenading back in the days of yore - leading car looking good then ka-blammo. I'm not aware there were any casualties as a result, apart from a little hurt pride. And yes, I do believe there will be a few exploders next year.

I suspect they'll be a bit quicker than they are currently. And trickier. If Massa's still around I look forward to the first wet race of 2014.

I suspect they'll be a bit quicker than they are currently. And trickier. If Massa's still around I look forward to the first wet race of 2014.

Yep, my thoughts too. They'll claw back the aero loss. This, combined with more grunt will make them faster than this year.

As for Massa in the wet; I have got Bolero ringing in my ears for some reason.....

Are we measuring speed in years now?

I drove to the shops at approximately 1995 the other day. In the main though, I pootle around at 1952.

well this year they have been about 3 seconds a lap slower in the race than last year,

Well i just (yesterday) compared times (race, fastest lap and qualiy pole times) of races of 2013 with 2012, and 2013 had been faster on average a few tenths of a second.

Well i just (yesterday) compared times (race, fastest lap and qualiy pole times) of races of 2013 with 2012, and 2013 had been faster on average a few tenths of a second.

What was the fastest season ever? Was it 2004 or would it be from the turbo days?

Yea I remeber them lapping Albert park that year at 1:24, man that's quick

Yea I remeber them lapping Albert park that year at 1:24, man that's quick

They were still going at 2 p.m.

I remember 2004 Brazil when all 26 cars in practice were lapping faster than the current lap record.

In the race, 1st and 2nd averaged the whole race faster than the old lap record.

I remember 2004 Brazil when all 26 cars in practice were lapping faster than the current lap record.

In the race, 1st and 2nd averaged the whole race faster than the old lap record.

That's crazy, miss the v10 days, the sound was awesome.

That's crazy, miss the v10 days, the sound was awesome.

Ah yes, 2004; grooved tyres, ugly flaps and winglets. The old days were always better....