Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

German Grand Prix 2013 (Nürburgring)

Mein Gott, ist das Rennen am Sonntag und kein Gewinde!

Warning: Duplicate threads will be shot.

I almost ended up going to this race but couldn't get a decent flight sad.png

Looks like an interesting one, hopefully politics/genuine safety concerns won't enter into it with drivers promising a boycott if safety requires it (as is their right and responsibility): http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108538

Discuss this and other aspects of the German GP here!! Not right here, I mean...you know..below..in your own posts. Here!!!

Since Pirelli will use last year tyre structure and this year rubber, it should work. Can't wait to see if the Mercedes are at par with rb. I'm sure the German manufacturer has some new elements for their national GP.

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Vettel

If they are releasing "Rush" in cinema's now that would be insensitive to Niki, on account of his horrific accident here in '76

Hope the Patchwork-Pirellis do the trick so we dont have safety issues, though the current track doesnt really feature too aggressive kerbing to exacerbate any inherent design/application problems they were facing back in blighty.

Mercedes will probably do their best to win the event. Given it's their home race and the constant threat of pulling out of F1 for the team. The way Nico and Ross are talking, they feel that they are WDC/WCC material and their campaign is in full swing at the moment. Lewis will have to stamp his mark soon.

Vettel has traditionally done quite poorly here. Looking forward to seeing fireworks from him, one way or another..

Vettel

Alonso

Webber

(Hamilton)

I'm on Vettel to break his "no German GP" and "no July" win curse.

Ach, das Deutscheland Poppentyrenfest mit der Spinnencrascherwagen GP!

I feel this time Seb will break the spell here, much to my regret.

Not far behind will be the totally non-tested Mercs and Alonso trying to get whatever falls from the table. Kimi might even steal that.

Not looking forward to it, actually!

Hope mark does well, repeat of 09 would be delightful

My best guess is this race belongs to either Webber or the Mercs. Would be happy to be proved wrong.

I'm on Vettel to break his "no German GP" and "no July" win curse.

I hope you're right!! :)

Vettel for the win I say.

@ rainmaster

Hope your wrong about merc but not webber

@ rainmaster

Hope your wrong about merc but not webber

Same here, actually. I suppose I wouldn't mind Lewis winning after being unlucky last weekend, either. So let's just say I'm happy for anyone to win who isn't Rosberg :P

Yeah well, have well all underestimated Rosberg? Is he better than we first thought? What if HE becomes sebs main rival, what will we think of hamo then?

Maybe Seb will win his first ever GP in July and Europe! he usually starts his run in the Far East. Looking at the long run pace from P2, there was little between RBR and Merc except Webber, to be honest. This is his turf and he should go well. The Maccas seem to have decent race pace and should get in front of Lotus and possibly Ferrari. If the rumours are right, Lotus have targeted Button if Kimi goes but McLaren will fight like hell. I have heard quite a different story. Namely, Alonso wants JB at Ferrari. To be honest, I really don't think any of the younger drivers can take care of the car consistently enough to prove themselves a valuable asset. Not yet, at least. In a great car, Jens is a podium contender at any track in all conditions. RBR won't win WCCs with Vergne or Ricciardo in the team for a while yet and Seb and Kimi will collide heavily despite the rhetoric. That's what I think.

The Mercedes had understeer this morning, so once this problem is corrected, they should have the fastest car.

I can see JB at Ferrari. But he is no no 2 driver and FA would feel the heat for sure.

The way I look at Button's career, the Brawn saga was simply one of those one in a lifetime flukes. I'm confident in my view that had Honda not withdrawn, then they would not have dominated that year even with their double diffuser innovation. The difference came down to the very unlikely pairing of the Merc engine and their chasis. The car wasn't designed for it, and had McLaren known how good a car they had, they never would have approved Merc to supply them. But it was a pity thing since they all thought they'd be back markers that year. Turns out it was a very great combination and won many races.

Thus Button had one great year, actually one great half a year then tailed off. The rest of his career has been so so. He had some good wins at McLaren but that's where I rate him, good not great.

I'd actually be happy for him however if he did goto Lotus or Ferrari. Lotus to me looks like it might be a good environment for him as well. McLaren at this rate will take several years to claw their way back. Paddy has already gone, I suspect Whitmarsh won't be there for many more years if things stay the same. You've got an idiot team mate in Perez, it just doesn't look that exciting at McLaren anymore. I still feel Ron needs to come back for 2 years or so to right the ship and get things back on track. Sauber came back out of his semi retirement once BMW pulled out to get their team back on track. Apart from this year what he did saved the team.

As for Button being a #2 driver, honestly who here things he will bet Alonso. Maybe he could, but the other thing to ask is how long will Alsono stay at Ferrari, and how long will Ferrari look at him with their rose tinted glasses. So maybe being a #2 for a year or two, then gives the opportunity to be the #1. For Button that would happen, for Massa... no. He's still be the #2.

No way is button as quick and consistant as alonso. No one currently in f1 is as quick as alonso, button IMO is just like webber. Everything has to be going well for him to win. This years Pirelli tyres, it should have been a good year for button as we know he is good at saving his tyres. That's buttons best attribute, his ability to drive so smoothly. But this year it's a different story. Webber and button would be a good pair at Mclaren. But honestly I see button retiring at Mclaren. As soon as alonso retires, seb will move to Ferrari. He won't do it while alonso is there, he is scared of kimi and IMO alonso is better, so no way seb will go there if fernando is there.

Perez is far from an idiot team mate. Where do you get that monkey? British press ?

Perez is far from an idiot team mate. Where do you get that monkey? British press ?

Well he isn't entirly the brightest candle out there in terms of thinking in the moment. From the same can as grosjean IMO. Kobayashi would have been a better pic IMO. Perez is way overrated.

Button needs a good car with characteristics to his liking to dominate? Rubbish!

Many have forgotten the Button of 2011. The one who beat his team mate in a car that was not dominant. The one season where blown diffusers (which he didn't like) made the difference?

I think you'll find that due to his smooth driving style he may not have the best skills to properly set up the car (cos he doesn't go over driving it and testing the limits as much as others tend to) and that is his main issue when you see some anonymous races from him. When he does things right, he does things as well as Fernando or Sebastian or Kimi. From setting best lap times to overtaking, it's all there.

If you think Button's just garden variety, I recommend you watch Brazil '09 and Canada '11 for starters.

KoolMonkey, if you say that Button was lucky in 2009, as it's clear you are suggesting, then you put in doubt every single world championship title. The contradiction exists in your argument when you refute Jean-Pierre's assertion that Vettel is lucky to have Newey for his 3 WDCs. What about Kimi, whose sole WDC many would say was due to the warring McLarens of '07. I for one, would say that every WDC driver deserves their championship that particular year. They had the opportunity to do it and they grabbed it, and that's a good enough reason for them becoming WDCs in my book.

Well he isn't entirly the brightest candle out there in terms of thinking in the moment. From the same can as grosjean IMO. Kobayashi would have been a better pic IMO. Perez is way overrated.

He may need some head-readjustment, but a dispassionate observer would take note that the ability is there, even if he lacks the judgement to execute it properly.

Button needs a good car with characteristics to his liking to dominate? Rubbish!

Many have forgotten the Button of 2011. The one who beat his team mate in a car that was not dominant. The one season where blown diffusers (which he didn't like) made the difference?

I think you'll find that due to his smooth driving style he may not have the best skills to properly set up the car (cos he doesn't go over driving it and testing the limits as much as others tend to) and that is his main issue when you see some anonymous races from him. When he does things right, he does things as well as Fernando or Sebastian or Kimi. From setting best lap times to overtaking, it's all there.

If you think Button's just garden variety, I recommend you watch Brazil '09 and Canada '11 for starters.

KoolMonkey, if you say that Button was lucky in 2009, as it's clear you are suggesting, then you put in doubt every single world championship title. The contradiction exists in your argument when you refute Jean-Pierre's assertion that Vettel is lucky to have Newey for his 3 WDCs. What about Kimi, whose sole WDC many would say was due to the warring McLarens of '07. I for one, would say that every WDC driver deserves their championship that particular year. They had the opportunity to do it and they grabbed it, and that's a good enough reason for them becoming WDCs in my book.

Fair call, but I remember in 2009 the issue Rubens had with them helping button more than him, I remeber he said he spoke to Ross and he said he would retire if it happened again. After that he beat jenson for the remainder of the season winning 2 races, he just scrapped into 4th place for the title in 2009, but never the less like you said, he still got it. But I had a funny feeling last year when I heard lewis was going to merc I said to my self, well there goes Mclaren's chances of winning next year, and so far I have been right. Just seems to lack the leadership skills to lead. Although what you mentioned about him not setting up the car due to not overdriving it, makes sense. But still to me he seems he is missing something. But I can never put my finger on it.

Yeah well, have well all underestimated Rosberg? Is he better than we first thought? What if HE becomes sebs main rival, what will we think of hamo then?

Well he was pretty fast in the Williams I always thought, well once he got his crashing phase anyway. He kept Schumacher honest on his come back and now he's doing the same with Hamilton, yeah, I think he was underestimated!

Well he was pretty fast in the Williams I always thought, well once he got his crashing phase anyway. He kept Schumacher honest on his come back and now he's doing the same with Hamilton, yeah, I think he was underestimated!

He still is IMO, everyone is expecting lewis to come back and own him. But what if he doesn't?

Our 3x consecutive german champion looks pumped up folks, the bitter taste of the loss victory still lingers, he's out for revenge!!!!

Only the car itself can stop him folks!!!!!