Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

German Grand Prix 2013 (Nürburgring)

No it's Roland Ratzenberger,killed in Saturday qualify for the 1994 San Marino gp, a day before Senna was killed and Rubens Barrichello had a real bad accident in the Friday practice where he was nearly killed, but escaped with a broken nose. Very bad weekend for formula one that was. All or most of these changes we see today were implemented because of that tragic weekend.

Yes I know we lost two drivers that awful weekend and almost a third as well, I remember it all too well sadly. I thought he meant deaths in general since that race weekend is all. Clearly I misunderstood, my mistake.

Yes I know we lost two drivers that awful weekend and almost a third as well, I remember it all too well sadly. I thought he meant deaths in general since that race weekend is all. Clearly I misunderstood, my mistake.

Ill never forget that weekend as my hero Senna was taken away from us 3 days before my tenth birthday. I don't really believe in god but I remember that weekend like it was yesterday. I was gutted he hadn't scored any points yet in the 94 campaign I remeber sitting up late in bed just after he took pole and said "god all I want for my birthday is for senna to win". Obviously god himself had better plans for this incredible race driver.

Hmm, if you turned ten in 1994 that means you're the same age as my daughter.

It was a tragic weekend, you're right and the worst part is they played the replay of the crash over and over again, what none of us knew then was each time they did they were showing us his death pretty much. You never forget things like that do you?

Hmm, if you turned ten in 1994 that means you're the same age as my daughter.

It was a tragic weekend, you're right and the worst part is they played the replay of the crash over and over again, what none of us knew then was each time they did they were showing us his death pretty much. You never forget things like that do you?

Indeed. Although to be fair to the beeb, once they knew it was serious, they didn't show any footage of the crash or the scene at all. If you look on the net, there are plenty of other instances of footage taken while they were treating him, or trying to.

Indeed. Although to be fair to the beeb, once they knew it was serious, they didn't show any footage of the crash or the scene at all. If you look on the net, there are plenty of other instances of footage taken while they were treating him, or trying to.

You're right, I wasn't blaming the BBC in any way, it's just a fact of what happened isn't it? Makes me shudder each time I think about it too, but they couldn't have known at the time or they'd never have done it, that I am sure of. They always show replays of crashes and you can't blame them for that, it's their job to show us what has happened after all.

You're right, I wasn't blaming the BBC in any way, it's just a fact of what happened isn't it? Makes me shudder each time I think about it too, but they couldn't have known at the time or they'd never have done it, that I am sure of. They always show replays of crashes and you can't blame them for that, it's their job to show us what has happened after all.

It's just ironic how prof. Sid Watkins just the day before at the scene of Ratzenberger accident asked senna to leave and go fishing. Sid knew he was on borrowed time I think. I had a funny feeling when he hit the wall he was gone. My gut sank to the floor when I saw the aerial shot of him motionless in the car. I started crying and didnt sleep the whole night. Next day my mother thought I saw a ghost. When I told her what had happened she said "he was a racing driver these things happen". No IMO he wasn't JUST a racing driver, he was the best the sport has and will ever see IMO. Even though his statistics get beaten, in outright pace and sheer balls, senna was the best by far, he always tried to get better and better and he did. Miss ya Ayrton and r.i.p. mate.

I think we all cried when we saw it happen. What really makes me furious are the people who only watch the sport for the crashes, given we all know what can happen they are sick in the head I'd say. Any serious crash and you hold your breath until you know the driver is okay. Safety is so good these days I guess we've come to expect they will be fine, that is what makes so hard when they're not.

I agree, there is no one like Senna and there may never be anyone like him again. Would have been happy sitting by a river fishing like Sid Wtakins suggested? Somehow I doubt it, racing is in the blood and the soul, you can tell that by the way drivers move to other series when they are done with F1. Hell even Alex Zanardi is still racing after his horrific accident, he won a couple of golds in the hand cycling at the paralympics last year. So maybe I'm saying Senna went out the best way for him, even if it was way too soon, he never had to sit and watch from the sidelines, I think that is something he would have really hated.

My friend is a professional photographer and was in Monza that weekend. He had photographed Senna many times before over the years and said to a colleague before Senna went out for the race that something was not right. He took a beautiful photo of Senna looking very thoughtful just before he put his helmet on. One of the last helmet-off pics probably before he died.

A few years ago he sent me the pic. I must dig it out sometime and share it.

I think we all cried when we saw it happen. What really makes me furious are the people who only watch the sport for the crashes, given we all know what can happen they are sick in the head I'd say. Any serious crash and you hold your breath until you know the driver is okay. Safety is so good these days I guess we've come to expect they will be fine, that is what makes so hard when they're not.

I agree, there is no one like Senna and there may never be anyone like him again. Would have been happy sitting by a river fishing like Sid Wtakins suggested? Somehow I doubt it, racing is in the blood and the soul, you can tell that by the way drivers move to other series when they are done with F1. Hell even Alex Zanardi is still racing after his horrific accident, he won a couple of golds in the hand cycling at the paralympics last year. So maybe I'm saying Senna went out the best way for him, even if it was way too soon, he never had to sit and watch from the sidelines, I think that is something he would have really hated.

Well said, safety has come along way and f1 is probably the safest form of real fast racing. It's sad we had to loose someone before serious action was taken,but that happens all the time. If the safety wasn't improved, Mark Webber wouldn't have walked away scot free from his Valencia accident with kovalainen. Several incidents would have a different out come. So in a way thank you to senna who has changed this sport in more ways than one.

I wish I could pull out the post from Steve about the day Senna died, he summed it up perfectly. I remember just feeling a terrible sadness, life going on and it looked like almost no one around me was aware of this great man gone...

I wish I could pull out the post from Steve about the day Senna died, he summed it up perfectly. I remember just feeling a terrible sadness, life going on and it looked like almost no one around me was aware of this great man gone...

Absolutely, it's like that's was the end of formula one and how we're you going to be able to watch it now. But it happens and we deal with it the best we can and we will continue to watch if it happens again (god forbid) because like the drivers, us to have racing in our blood and share the same feeling of passion and commitment from our lounge room. As i beleive if your wacthing formula one, you have a die hard passion for this highly skilled fast pace racing,nothing compares to the buzz you can relate to, if you have ever drivin anything fast on its absolute limit. Your respect for these guys grows greater as you know your hunger to drive one is just as immense now.

Losing a loved one is really hard, we all know that. These drivers we don't actually know in the real life sense, but we do invite them into our homes every other weekend and we follow their highs and lows. Of course we don't actually know them in person, yet we feel like we do, we make a connection with them in a way and when something happens to them we do take it personally. That's how I see it anyway.

You didn't have to be a full on Senna fan to know exactly what the sport had lost that day, and it was a tragic waste of life, but then if safety changes were made that have saved other drivers since, maybe he also left behind a lasting legacy in that way as well as being the guy who was a legend on the track.

Losing a loved one is really hard, we all know that. These drivers we don't actually know in the real life sense, but we do invite them into our homes every other weekend and we follow their highs and lows. Of course we don't actually know them in person, yet we feel like we do, we make a connection with them in a way and when something happens to them we do take it personally. That's how I see it anyway.

You didn't have to be a full on Senna fan to know exactly what the sport had lost that day, and it was a tragic waste of life, but then if safety changes were made that have saved other drivers since, maybe he also left behind a lasting legacy in that way as well as being the guy who was a legend on the track.

Very well said. You didn't have to know much about f1 either to know who he was and just how good he was. Watching the 1993 European Gp,me being a young boy then thought how awesome senna could drive in the wet. But now iam older I realise I was witnessing possibly the greatest drive ever from any driver. Sometimes I wish I was the age iam now back then. It would make me appreciate him that much more.

Yes, sorry, I knew you weren't blaming the beeb at all, as you say, it was just the way it happened, unfortunately.

Funnily enough, I guess because I expected Senna to be ok, the actual crash didn't horrify me in that sense, but you sort of wince when anybody has a reasonable shunt in F1, anyway. Obviously, the aftermath was worse when you knew it was serious. However, the one that did horrify me was the Gerhard Berger crash when he was at Ferrari and it caught fire. You just seemed to be sitting there watching him on fire for an asbolute age before a marshall came, although in reality it probably wasn't.

Speaking of Berger. Apparently senna and Berger went to that corner one year in fear of a massive accident happening there and after analysing the area they realised nothing could be done about it as there was a river to close to the barrier. As you said pabloh the impact wasn't that bad, but you knew something was wrong as we didnt see him hop out the car, things were taking to long.

Speaking of Berger. Apparently senna and Berger went to that corner one year in fear of a massive accident happening there and after analysing the area they realised nothing could be done about it as there was a river to close to the barrier. As you said pabloh the impact wasn't that bad, but you knew something was wrong as we didnt see him hop out the car, things were taking to long.