Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

German Grand Prix 2013 (Nürburgring)

Or webber lol

My top3 in quali

Webber

Vettel

Hamilton

Outstanding lap by Lewis. Hope he goes on to win. Ferrari taking a gamble on tires lasting longer. Let's see if it works out for them. Happy Kimi's up there. Hope he gets a podium.

Outstanding lap by Lewis. Hope he goes on to win. Ferrari taking a gamble on tires lasting longer. Let's see if it works out for them. Happy Kimi's up there. Hope he gets a podium.

Agreed. Ferrari has taken a bit of a risk, IMO. Their pace was more or less identical to Kimi's, so they might've gotten the second row. Now, starting from fourth row on the slower tire, they may fall too far behind. On the other hand, might pay off very well too, of course, if the front runners have to pit very early, and drop to traffic.

Well lewis said for the first time in his career he has a car fast enough to battle vettel

Lewis' idea of "battling" with someone though means "clearly faster than". He's had a car fast enough to battle people in the past and simply come off 2nd best. You might have noticed, he tends to blame his car all the time... much more than any other driver, though he's pulled that back a bit this year.

I just hope Mercedes are really contenders now for the title, I just don't want seb to win again

Lewis' idea of "battling" with someone though means "clearly faster than". He's had a car fast enough to battle people in the past and simply come off 2nd best. You might have noticed, he tends to blame his car all the time... much more than any other driver, though he's pulled that back a bit this year.

I think that honour bestows Fernando, please dont take his traits away from him...

Button needs a good car with characteristics to his liking to dominate? Rubbish!

Many have forgotten the Button of 2011. The one who beat his team mate in a car that was not dominant. The one season where blown diffusers (which he didn't like) made the difference?

I think you'll find that due to his smooth driving style he may not have the best skills to properly set up the car (cos he doesn't go over driving it and testing the limits as much as others tend to) and that is his main issue when you see some anonymous races from him. When he does things right, he does things as well as Fernando or Sebastian or Kimi. From setting best lap times to overtaking, it's all there.

If you think Button's just garden variety, I recommend you watch Brazil '09 and Canada '11 for starters.

KoolMonkey, if you say that Button was lucky in 2009, as it's clear you are suggesting, then you put in doubt every single world championship title. The contradiction exists in your argument when you refute Jean-Pierre's assertion that Vettel is lucky to have Newey for his 3 WDCs. What about Kimi, whose sole WDC many would say was due to the warring McLarens of '07. I for one, would say that every WDC driver deserves their championship that particular year. They had the opportunity to do it and they grabbed it, and that's a good enough reason for them becoming WDCs in my book.

I have never stated that Button didn't deserve his WDC, I simply stated that there is not another example in recent history to compare it to. Honda built the 2009 car for the Honda engine. Yet they ended up dropping in an oversized Merc engine and romped away to everyones surprise. McLaren only agreed to give Brawn the Merc engine for that year due to them and the rest of the paddock thinking they were not going to place anywhere other than backmarkers. It's unheard of in todays F1 to not have car designs tied up at least a year before the seasons starts, so they were lucky in a very good way it all tied together in the end.

For all this talk of Button being the smoothest driver around, it's testamount to an urban myth now. It doesn't make any difference. If that was the case he would be winning every GP there is today due to being "smooth". It may have mattered in years past, but is showing no dividends right now and that is important as tyre wear right now is a major issue.

All you have done is try to prove that Button is better than a good driver, but he's not consistent enough to warrant the tag of a great driver to me. There are many examples of drivers putting in great drives here or there. Button is as good as Webber which for me means he's in the second tier of the current F1 drivers. The first being Vettel, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton. Nico is still second tier but if he keeps this up, he'll be first tier. Webber and Button are second tier. The rest of Massa, Hulk, Sutil are third tier. That's my view on this, I don't need to back it up, go look at numbers or scream about it. That's how I perceive things in the current world of F1. You'll disagree, and at the end of the day, I'm still going to enjoy watching F1.

Vettel IS lucky to have Newey, but so what, he still had to win, and did win in the car he was provided. Every WDC deserved their title. What you misunderstood is the fact I stated the Brawn car for 2009 was a fluke in today's modern F1. Thus Button benefited from it absolutely, and won the WDC. But it doesn't change my view that Button is still a good driver, and not a great. The same would hold true if Massa had won in 2008. I would still consider him good and not great. That is no contradiction to say that. No doubt you'll speed read and see the words you want to see and cry wolf again. I still hold the view that if Brawn did not have the Merc engine for that year, even with their Double Diffuser they would not have won as they did.

Concerning the RBR vs Newey argument. It's been debated, talked about and is a done deal in my opinion and something I'm not going to waste any more time on. Because the key factor here is if you don't like Vettel, nothing that is said will make a difference even if it's coherent, truthful and based on common sense. The hate and jealousy will always bubble to the top. Rather than applaud Vettel for his achievements, it will denigrate into oh he only won because of Newey. That is not contradictory when I state the Brawn 2009 car was a fluke.

Perez is far from an idiot team mate. Where do you get that monkey? British press ?

From observation of his actions. You don't come into a new team and proceed to p**s off your WDC team mate, and over the course of Monaco tangle with 2 other WDC's.

For all of Grosjean's issues and bad judgement calls, he's still had the balls to go to the other drivers and apologize. That is neither weak or showing you lack the killer edge. That is human and the right thing to do. All Perez did was convince no one his antics were anything other than a young driver not yet able to make the right calls, temper ones enthusiasm and learn from it. If you keep doing the same stupid, idiotic and dangerous passing move during a race, and expect you're going to come out the other side smelling of roses and Dom Pérignon then you're an idiot in my view. Better drivers would have learned quickly, not keep doing the same thing, and then try and blame others when it ends in tears and carbon fiber all strewn over the track.

From observation of his actions. You don't come into a new team and proceed to p**s off your WDC team mate, and over the course of Monaco tangle with 2 other WDC's.

For all of Grosjean's issues and bad judgement calls, he's still had the balls to go to the other drivers and apologize. That is neither weak or showing you lack the killer edge. That is human and the right thing to do. All Perez did was convince no one his antics were anything other than a young driver not yet able to make the right calls, temper ones enthusiasm and learn from it. If you keep doing the same stupid, idiotic and dangerous passing move during a race, and expect you're going to come out the other side smelling of roses and Dom Pérignon then you're an idiot in my view. Better drivers would have learned quickly, not keep doing the same thing, and then try and blame others when it ends in tears and carbon fiber all strewn over the track.

He did that? In my view, from what I read, he just bluntly blamed the other drivers for causing the collisions and taking no resposibility for it. You put it so mildly mate...

Vodka, ice-creams in the garage, rallying, snow-mobile racing, gorilla suit connoisseur, hitched to former miss Finland, James Hunt appeal, a vacant stare, talks like a Dalek, 1970s caps, Elton John glasses and some people call this guy boring? I wish we had more characters like him in F1

Who said this btw?

Sigh, Mercedes... from ESPNF1: More issues on Hamilton's car. The front right brake appears to have locked and is smoking. The mechanics are spraying some releasing agent on it but this is not a good.

Looks like Lotus wants to screw up Kimi's race again... Why would they call him to pits when he is still lapping faster than he does with harder tire?

Thank you NBC for going to a recap of the race while Kimi hounds and passes Lewis.... great going there... *sigh*

Great comeback from Lotus, but I fear they lost the victory by taking Kimi in way too early for his first pit stop. He was ahead Grosjean then, driving similar lap times, but by pitting so early, fell 10 seconds behind him. The safety car obviously erased all that, but the position was lost and, with it, most likely the crucial two seconds.

Good race. Nice to see a fight for the lead go all the way to the final lap.

Pity about the Mercs and for Webber. Hope the cameraman that got hit by Webber's wheel isn't in too bad shape and gets back to his feet soon. That was one big thump!

The penalty to Red Bull entry #2 will say everything about the FIA, to me. How they handle that situation will be telling and, based on the past, it won't be telling in a way that is, for me, positive. It really should be a loss of all WCC points from today so as to not penalize the drivers but to penalize Red Bull. A monetary fine should also be included. It's not acceptable, and I hope the FIA sends that message to them and to any other team that may find itself similarly situated.

I'm curious about the Bianchi incident, which needs to never happen again. Did the truck coming to get the Marussia make contact with it? That is the only thing I can think of that would have made the car roll back like that. They are so, so lucky. That would made me nauseous to see.

Ikyrotz, totally echo your thoughts on NBC today. It was the worst U.S. F1 broadcast since CBS in 2006. How they can have Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton and still leave you disappointed is a real art of horrible timing on recaps and the numerous ad breaks. I always flip to UniMás during the ad breaks, and flipped there during the recap because I suspected Räikkönen was about to make his move, so I got to see it live. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just leave it planted on UniMás for the whole race. The irony there, too, is that the broadcasters included Sergio Pérez' sister, father, and brother today, yet they were more unbiased about Sergio than Diffey is about Webber and Ricciardo! :D

Now, the race itself...yes, very good. Fun to watch. I was kind of surprised that Grosjean was not on Räikkönen's strategy, actually, because I felt Grosjean could have won the race if he had stayed out and gone to softs. I guess it's possible they wanted Räikkönen to jump Grosjean, and that's fair. Maybe they figured that with Grosjean, he had his chances and couldn't get by, so that was that. Still, I think Lotus get a win if Grosjean is the one who employs that strategy only because his wear on the softs was phenomenal and his pace was great today. It was close. This was good. DRS wasn't overstated, there were some fun battles, and a really close, tense result, trying to figure out what Lotus were going to do and then watching them do it.

Well, quite a lucky race from a safety point of view given the two chilling incidents today.

Aside from that, was quite an interesting race with many good battles and different strategies. Shame that Kimi couldn't make it but Vettel never seems to stay down too long; finally broke that home race/July race curse. Other than that, it's nice to have these races that are engrossing until the end. It wasn't always the case.

Edit: On the Bianchi thing, could it possibly have been the driver's fault the car rolled? If it was, I should think he needs some kind of penalty.

That pit incident really is a good reason to reintroduce race refueling. You never saw those kinds of incidents when they got to refuel the car because the wheel guys had much more time.

Yes fire is a danger but we have seen way more incidents with wheels not being properly attached than we ever saw fires. And we have more than twice as many races with refueling than with out it. I'm surprised we haven't seen more loose wheels. They always luckly fall off outside of the pits but this one finally came off in them.

Add refueling back in and the wheel guys can go about their business in a sane amount of time. The idea that you should change 4 wheels on a car in under 3 seconds and not have mistakes happen is kinda ludicrous imo.

Auto racing is not an antiseptic event. Dangerous things happen all the time in the pits and out on the track. Things break, mistakes are made and people can and do get hurt. It goes with the sport. Bringing back refueling won't mitigate that. If anything it will just reintroduce another potential hazard.