Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Tought It Was F1

This is rediculous, iam a mber of several forums and this flooded by basketball what a joke. This forum isn't really that active anyway but never the less there are some good topics on here. I come on here and find basketball. Iam surprised the mods have allowed it to sit here for nearly an hour. Think it's time to go back to my other forum. Thanks guys

Having spent time as a mod on another F1 forum, I can assure you keeping the spammers out and getting rid of their junk when they do slip in doesn't always happen as fast as you'd like. Mods can't be there 24/7 dealing with this stuff, they have lives too you know? ;)

Having spent time as a mod on another F1 forum, I can assure you keeping the spammers out and getting rid of their junk when they do slip in doesn't always happen as fast as you'd like. Mods can't be there 24/7 dealing with this stuff, they have lives too you know? ;)

I understand, then they need more mods,iam not having a go at them by any means as I know myself how time consuming the job can be. One forum iam on you can't even post anything like that,within 5 mins it would be gone. I love this forum I just think we need more mods if that's the case. Have we got any long time members that could and would step up?

Ric...there are five of us in all corners of the globe. I just signed on having just worked 40-hours straight...yes you read right, 6am yesterday to 10pm tonight. I'm ever so sorry I, or Eric, etc weren't at your beck and call. Take a chill pill. We're not like other forums whereby we all pretty much know each other on a personal level. Crack a joke and carry on.

Craig

having just worked 40-hours straight...yes you read right, 6am yesterday to 10pm tonight

Slacker! smile.png When I was your age I would work 72 hours straight with only a cup of cold gravel for sustenance... smile.png

Seriously, thanks for the good work :) know what a pain spam can be.

Ric...there are five of us in all corners of the globe. I just signed on having just worked 40-hours straight...yes you read right, 6am yesterday to 10pm tonight. I'm ever so sorry I, or Eric, etc weren't at your beck and call. Take a chill pill. We're not like other forums whereby we all pretty much know each other on a personal level. Crack a joke and carry on.

Craig

That is a long time to work, you go and get some rest now!! I note you logged on here before you got some rest, you're hooked my friend ;)

Slacker! smile.png When I was your age I would work 72 hours straight with only a cup of cold gravel for sustenance... smile.png

Oh please, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife. :)

Craig

Don't get offended mate, geez, all iam saying is obviously you need more mods, whats wrong with that? If iam going to be spoken to like this for trying to get rid of spammers and trying to just read and comment on the forum and get flooded by basketball jargon, ill leave. Not nice to get attitude over reporting spam. Or is that more important than a member trying to talk about a sport we love. I work 10hrs a day 6 days a week. I know where your coming from but other forums iam a member of dont take spam so lightly. Sorry if my response has offended but I feel offended just by reporting what I think is a legitimate concern. Sorry

You have no one but yourself to blame for the reaction, Webric. Don't act so hurt for the replies if you say you are leaving the forum because some spam was not deleted in 5 minutes but in an hour (oh, the tragedy!)

If that's enough to make you leave, then sorry but you do not seem so passionate about F1 after all. The spam was not enough to disrupt the forum and, as you say, this is a nice little quiet forum, even if we kept posting during the spam attack it wouldn't be hard to follow the few discussions open without much problem.

P.S: Hey Craig, good to see you :D

You have no one but yourself to blame for the reaction, Webric. Don't act so hurt for the replies if you say you are leaving the forum because some spam was not deleted in 5 minutes but in an hour (oh, the tragedy!)

If that's enough to make you leave, then sorry but you do not seem so passionate about F1 after all. The spam was not enough to disrupt the forum and, as you say, this is a nice little quiet forum, even if we kept posting during the spam attack it wouldn't be hard to follow the few discussions open without much problem.

P.S: Hey Craig, good to see you :D

There were like 6 topics, how is that not enough? Sorry if I seem over the top, but I asked a mod to get rid of, which they did but I returned in an hour and more was there, this is just deterring me and maybe other members from replying. But anyway obviously you have to be on here for a while before any of your posts are taken seriously. Even if its against spam. Sorry for caring guys. That's not fair IMO. Sorry if I come of as a tool but this is the most passionate f1 forum I've come accross that's why it strikes me as offensive I guess. If you read my 2nd post it isn't offensive at all then I get slaughtered wtf? Come on guys this isn't fair I would understand if I was out of line but I don't think I was. And questioning my passion for the sport has nothing to do with spamming. Just forget I brought it up. All I think now is I have no right to report this sort of stuff. Sorry once again. Cheers

There were like 6 topics, how is that not enough? Sorry if I seem over the top, but I asked a mod to get rid of, which they did but I returned in an hour and more was there, this is just deterring me and maybe other members from replying. But anyway obviously you have to be on here for a while before any of your posts are taken seriously. Even if its against spam. Sorry for caring guys. That's not fair IMO. Sorry if I come of as a tool but this is the most passionate f1 forum I've come accross that's why it strikes me as offensive I guess. If you read my 2nd post it isn't offensive at all then I get slaughtered wtf? Come on guys this isn't fair I would understand if I was out of line but I don't think I was. And questioning my passion for the sport has nothing to do with spamming. Just forget I brought it up. All I think now is I have no right to report this sort of stuff. Sorry once again. Cheers

I think you were abit over-sensitive on this issue, when I read your first post I thought whatthehell. As you say, we are passionate and I personaly value the input you've brought here, so let's move on...

This is rediculous, iam a mber of several forums and this flooded by basketball what a joke. This forum isn't really that active anyway but never the less there are some good topics on here. I come on here and find basketball. Iam surprised the mods have allowed it to sit here for nearly an hour. Think it's time to go back to my other forum. Thanks guys

That's misleading language, I think. Allowed implies, to me, that someone saw it but left it. That is not the case. No one saw it and left it. As soon as I saw it, it, and the poster, were gone. I logged in for the sole purpose of deleting it.

If you have a suggestion as to what we can do, go ahead. In the constraints of reality, I see no way to make this work much better. There will always be "dead time" where everyone's work/sleep/family/social/school/etc. schedules intersect and not one of us can be here. I'm sorry that it works that way, but we have six people who have moderating powers on their account and that would mean each of us doing a "four-hour shift" for constant coverage. That's not happening for anyone. You'd need to make every active user a moderator and you'd still have "dead time;" I've seen this forum with zero people logged in.

The best we can do, I believe, is this:

1) Not click links in spam posts.

2) Not reply to spam posts; this bumps them to the top for everyone to see and drives more traffic to their links.

3) Delete the spam and spammer as soon as we see it.

Maybe there's more you can think of.

I don't think it's a question of your passion for F1. You have a right to report spam, or any other offense you see, to the moderators. All users have the right.

No user, however, has a right to making me quit school, quit my job, and abandon my family/friends/personal hygiene to be here 24/7. tongue.png

Truly, though, I take your posts, and everyone else's posts seriously. Taking posts seriously does not mean agreeing, or being able to offer a solution, though. I am sorry that it bothers you; none of us like spam. But what else can we do? When a moderator sees spam (and we never miss it), it gets deleted. That's how the system works. We can't proactively stop spam; we have to allow new users to register so that people like you, WebRic, can join the forum and make actual, good contributions, as you have since joining. Unfortunately, that registration process also means that spammers can sign up, but they get banned as soon as they are seen.

We can't see things when we're not here, and we can't be here any more than we are.

I hope you will stay with the forum and offer any advice you have for us. We do listen, we just can't always act on it. smile.png

That's misleading language, I think. Allowed implies, to me, that someone saw it but left it. That is not the case. No one saw it and left it. As soon as I saw it, it, and the poster, were gone. I logged in for the sole purpose of deleting it.

If you have a suggestion as to what we can do, go ahead. In the constraints of reality, I see no way to make this work much better. There will always be "dead time" where everyone's work/sleep/family/social/school/etc. schedules intersect and not one of us can be here. I'm sorry that it works that way, but we have six people who have moderating powers on their account and that would mean each of us doing a "four-hour shift" for constant coverage. That's not happening for anyone. You'd need to make every active user a moderator and you'd still have "dead time;" I've seen this forum with zero people logged in.

The best we can do, I believe, is this:

1) Not click links in spam posts.

2) Not reply to spam posts; this bumps them to the top for everyone to see and drives more traffic to their links.

3) Delete the spam and spammer as soon as we see it.

Maybe there's more you can think of.

I don't think it's a question of your passion for F1. You have a right to report spam, or any other offense you see, to the moderators. All users have the right.

No user, however, has a right to making me quit school, quit my job, and abandon my family/friends/personal hygiene to be here 24/7. tongue.png

Truly, though, I take your posts, and everyone else's posts seriously. Taking posts seriously does not mean agreeing, or being able to offer a solution, though. I am sorry that it bothers you; none of us like spam. But what else can we do? When a moderator sees spam (and we never miss it), it gets deleted. That's how the system works. We can't proactively stop spam; we have to allow new users to register so that people like you, WebRic, can join the forum and make actual, good contributions, as you have since joining. Unfortunately, that registration process also means that spammers can sign up, but they get banned as soon as they are seen.

We can't see things when we're not here, and we can't be here any more than we are.

I hope you will stay with the forum and offer any advice you have for us. We do listen, we just can't always act on it. smile.png

Thank you very much for such a kind reply, I understand I might have gone about this the wrong way,but some responses I got wernt exactly helping. I got abit upset as I remeber when I joined I mentioned something about Vettel in a different thread and within 5 mins a fellow member is telling me to go to another thread for that particular comment. I was sitting here going ok I get told to go to another thread about this topic but spam is ok. That's how I took this situation. But since I've got such a good response and explaination, ill try be more patient towards this sort of thing. I don't want to leave, as I lurked for a while here and I joined because this is one of the few f1 forums where people actually know whats going on. I like reading all the posts and I hope we can move on from this. Thank you for an open minded reply, very much appreciated.

Okay, ways to keep spammers out that worked on the forum I was mod on.

There was a question to answer which deterred bots, a captcha which makes sure the person is human, though I understand some bots can get around those as well. The only other option that was really useful was making the new members be checked out by a mod before they allowed in. I realise that means more work but in the long run it is worth it, trust me. All you do is run their email address and/or their IP address through this site http://www.stopforumspam.com/ if they are a known spammer it will advise you of that fact and you simply delete them before they ever get a chance to spam the forum.

I hope some of that helps :)

@WebRic

I have a feeling I could have been the person who suggested you looked in another thread about Vettel when you joined, I wasn't trying to be rude or mean to you, more pointing out that what you were discussing was debated there and you might want to read it. If that came across as an insult to you then I apologise, that wasn't my intention in any way at all.

Oh and I wasn't having a go at you this morning about this thread either, just pointing out that sometimes it takes longer than everyone would like for these things to be dealt with and why. It was nothing personal honest.

Okay, ways to keep spammers out that worked on the forum I was mod on.

There was a question to answer which deterred bots, a captcha which makes sure the person is human, though I understand some bots can get around those as well. The only other option that was really useful was making the new members be checked out by a mod before they allowed in. I realise that means more work but in the long run it is worth it, trust me. All you do is run their email address and/or their IP address through this site http://www.stopforumspam.com/ if they are a known spammer it will advise you of that fact and you simply delete them before they ever get a chance to spam the forum.

I hope some of that helps :)

@WebRic

I have a feeling I could have been the person who suggested you looked in another thread about Vettel when you joined, I wasn't trying to be rude or mean to you, more pointing out that what you were discussing was debated there and you might want to read it. If that came across as an insult to you then I apologise, that wasn't my intention in any way at all.

Oh and I wasn't having a go at you this morning about this thread either, just pointing out that sometimes it takes longer than everyone would like for these things to be dealt with and why. It was nothing personal honest.

It's ok, it has been solved now and thank you for your kind reply

No user, however, has a right to making me quit my ....personal hygiene to be here 24/7. tongue.png

Eric - You have personal hygiene? smile.png

Webric understand the frustration - spam is horrible detritus - I run a charity and our Wordpress website got bombarded with the most appalling spam - some of it was quite, well sick... I got 1,700 in one weekend. Thought I's cleared it, went back an hour later and there were 600 more. Put an anti-spam package, still got 100 in 24 hours. It was embarassing and damaged the image of my charity. So in the end moved the site to Google Sites and since then have been spam free. It's a never-ending job and seems particularly bad at the moment (not sure if some bot-net is going for it).

Eric, you and the other mods do a fantastic job and a big thank you is in order. I understand how difficult it is to do this especially when you have a day-job/life.

Webric, don't leave, I and others enjoy your posts. GPToday is a different forum from many/most. The people are great and at times may seem a bit harsh but it is small and perfectly formed (steady Paul!!! smile.png ) and worth staying around as there are some good and thoughtful people here. Oh yeah and then there's Andres biggrin.png

Seriously let's move on... the mods do work hard and the spam may not disappear as quickly as some other forums but then, for me the size and nature of the place makes it one that I come back to and it is all the richer for the range of peeps we have on here <group hug>

Oh please, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife. smile.png

LUXURY! :D Now we had it hard.......:)

I think we've all misunderstood WebRic. It's not that he hates spam, he just really hates basketball :P It's probably too much to ask the spammers to at least post their spam using F1 keywords!

Eric - You have personal hygiene? smile.png

Webric understand the frustration - spam is horrible detritus - I run a charity and our Wordpress website got bombarded with the most appalling spam - some of it was quite, well sick... I got 1,700 in one weekend. Thought I's cleared it, went back an hour later and there were 600 more. Put an anti-spam package, still got 100 in 24 hours. It was embarassing and damaged the image of my charity. So in the end moved the site to Google Sites and since then have been spam free. It's a never-ending job and seems particularly bad at the moment (not sure if some bot-net is going for it).

Eric, you and the other mods do a fantastic job and a big thank you is in order. I understand how difficult it is to do this especially when you have a day-job/life.

Webric, don't leave, I and others enjoy your posts. GPToday is a different forum from many/most. The people are great and at times may seem a bit harsh but it is small and perfectly formed (steady Paul!!! smile.png ) and worth staying around as there are some good and thoughtful people here. Oh yeah and then there's Andres biggrin.png

Seriously let's move on... the mods do work hard and the spam may not disappear as quickly as some other forums but then, for me the size and nature of the place makes it one that I come back to and it is all the richer for the range of peeps we have on here <group hug>

Sorry about that was having a bad weekend.

I think we've all misunderstood WebRic. It's not that he hates spam, he just really hates basketball :P It's probably too much to ask the spammers to at least post their spam using F1 keywords!

Sorry about that was having a bad weekend.

Oh no it's quite the opposite, I live basketball, I've played for 14yrs and at a state level. It's just iam on a NBA forum and this is for formula one. I started playing because my mother was a single mum and couldn't afford to fund me in karting as a child, I've also raced bmx for several years when I was younger too. No hard feelings guys, I love this forum and iam glad it's now sorted and I can keep reading all these awesome posts

Oh no it's quite the opposite, I live basketball, I've played for 14yrs and at a state level. It's just iam on a NBA forum and this is for formula one. I started playing because my mother was a single mum and couldn't afford to fund me in karting as a child, I've also raced bmx for several years when I was younger too. No hard feelings guys, I love this forum and iam glad it's now sorted and I can keep reading all these awesome posts

Aha. I see....................so you are on an NBA forum and you also joined this one. Before you joined we have never had basketball spam on this forum..................eusa_think.gif

Oh and if you can just let me know where you found some awesome posts on this forum, that would be great. I have been on here for years and never found anything decent from these reprobates whistling.gifeekout.gif

Phew. Need to calm down a little in here perhaps.... I haven't seen any spam so mods are obviously doing their job.

I used to post spam. Had to take it out of the tin first though.....