Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

What Now For Massa?

He is following In Rubens steps, hope it doesn't end up the same way.

True although the difference now is that Williams have announced Mercedes engine supply and Pat Symonds joining the team, apparently Rob Smedley is likely to be coming too. They're finally making big changes.

p..s i've been to the Wiliams HQ. jealous? There's also a museum there. I sat next to Damon Hill's 1996 williams for a photo and immediately got shouted at by a security guard because I wasn't supposed to have gotten that close to it lol. And no I never got the photo :-(

He was the WDC points leader after the third race of 2010. He was still fast after Hungary 2009, and is still fast now. He's just not able to regularly match Alonso, and when he does, it seems to almost always be before the WDC is decided (such that he can't really interfere. Recall that had Ferrari moved Massa out of the way in one race in 2012 in which Massa out-scored Alonso, Alonso would have been the 2012 champion. Seriously). He lost the team's number one backing when a better driver came along to lead them, and he lost his confidence because of it.

The speed, though? The speed's still there.

Maybe so, buts its the consistency that he had, that's whats missing and is showing in the points standings. He is a splash on the pan compared to his former self. Can't blame him, the guy could have easily been killed. Especially when you can't see it happen, it would play in his mind that the possibility could strike again at any point. The only time he seems to have the speed is when he has something to fight for. 2010 German gp he was fast because he knew he had a good chance to win, every year now for the past 3 yrs, always improves once he has to drive for his seat again. This year, once again, on fire right when employers are looking to recruit. So yes the speed is still there, but only now and then.

Maybe so, buts its the consistency that he had, that's whats missing and is showing in the points standings. He is a splash on the pan compared to his former self. Can't blame him, the guy could have easily been killed. Especially when you can't see it happen, it would play in his mind that the possibility could strike again at any point. The only time he seems to have the speed is when he has something to fight for. 2010 German gp he was fast because he knew he had a good chance to win, every year now for the past 3 yrs, always improves once he has to drive for his seat again. This year, once again, on fire right when employers are looking to recruit. So yes the speed is still there, but only now and then.

I don't reckon it plays on his mind, it's been over 4 years and I don't think he would've resumed racing so soon after the incident if it was affecting his confidence in the car.

With massa I find sometimes that when he qualifies well and spends the first 10 laps fighting near the front, for whatever reason his strategy falters and he ends up losing places, whilst Alonso comes from behind him and ends up on the podium.

No conspiracy or anything like that but it saddens me when I'm enjoying seeing Massa fighting the leaders, to see him back down in 8th 25 laps later.

I agree though that these instances are too rare. In 07-09 he was consistent and now he is not. In fact last year he was verging on dreadful

2010 German GP he was fast???? You may or may not agree with the team orders saga back then, but Fernando WAS faster by him, thus the team orders in the first place. Massa was slower than both Alonso and Vettel. Not only that, he was locking tires all around the place and looking messy. You may say that in any case he deserved to stay in front and that Alonso had no right, or that he has, it's the same. But to say that Massa was fast is to rewrite history.

Massa was fast only on very uncommon ocassions. He might be the driver with most dignity in F1, even when playing second fiddle to Alonso, he might be the nicest guy as well, also very experienced. But fast? Good? In your dreams. Being fast once every blue moon is not being fast at all.

2010 German GP he was fast???? You may or may not agree with the team orders saga back then, but Fernando WAS faster by him, thus the team orders in the first place. Massa was slower than both Alonso and Vettel. Not only that, he was locking tires all around the place and looking messy. You may say that in any case he deserved to stay in front and that Alonso had no right, or that he has, it's the same. But to say that Massa was fast is to rewrite history.

Massa was fast only on very uncommon ocassions. He might be the driver with most dignity in F1, even when playing second fiddle to Alonso, he might be the nicest guy as well, also very experienced. But fast? Good? In your dreams. Being fast once every blue moon is not being fast at all.

Well,you make a pretty convincing point there.

My girlfriend said she gets hungry for italian food every time she overhears the commentator saying pastor maldonado.

Maldonado is just another Pedro Diniz. Here's hoping he goes away, as Diniz wisely did.

Grand Prix Winner Pastor Maldonado. Pedro Diniz was never higher than fifth place in fields with less competition.

Maldonado could have options with Lotus and Sauber, from what I've read. Lotus is contingent on Quantum; if the Quantum deal does not happen, Maldonado would have a better shot. I'm not sure if Sauber would be in addition to Sirotkin (or Petrov, if Sirotkin cannot obtain a Super License), or if it would be in lieu of that buyout (which, like Quantum, has some doubts around it).

Grosjean and Maldonado as teammates would be fascinating, and it would also set up Hülkenberg and Pérez as Force India partners, assuming Magnussen goes to McLaren. Considering we've had a lot of debates about those two here, it would be a lot of fun to see those two different styles together. Both are talented, and Force India is the kind of team where you can really show that ability: good enough that you can achieve results, but just small enough that a bad day isn't critical.

I'd like for it to play out that way, myself.

Grosjean and Maldonado as teammates would be fascinating, and it would also set up Hülkenberg and Pérez as Force India partners, assuming Magnussen goes to McLaren. Considering we've had a lot of debates about those two here, it would be a lot of fun to see those two different styles together. Both are talented, and Force India is the kind of team where you can really show that ability: good enough that you can achieve results, but just small enough that a bad day isn't critical.

I'd like for it to play out that way, myself.

Me too. Although it would pain me to see Paul Di Resta without a drive, because he deserves one. So does Sutil for that matter.

I reckon Romain would wipe the floor with Maldonado although to be honest it'd be easily the weakest driver line-up of the 'top' teams.

At the end of last season, the thoughts of Grosjean & Maldonado in the same team together would keep me awake all night in fear of the remaining drivers on the grid. That's slightly changed however. Grosjean has proved he's a responsible & mature driver. Maldonado however...

I'm ok with GRO. He's upped his game, and been respectful throughout this Lotus vs Kimi blowout. I hope he changes teams at some point to be honest, because I don't think he'll go much better in the Lotus than he has this year.

Quamtum. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Everytime I see that word I want to punch Lopez in the face. They are a bunch of frauds. They will sign no deal. There is no spoon deal.

How could they not step up to the plate to keep Kimi in the team. That's the big clue right there. They had ample time to get it done, and all we get out of them, is they have come on board after the India debacle. All that was, was them stepping in to help out Lopez in the PR side of things, and say all is well, whilst they do nothing to back it up.

Quantum is not going to happen, now or ever.

Whats is this love for Maldonado, I can't see how what is so good in this crash test dummy. He fluked his setup in Barcelona and said he could fight for the title after that win, and everyone seems to Beleive him, not that good at all IMO. A good number 2 but not a team leader, no way.

Not even a good number 2. Barrichello was a good number 2. Maldonado shouldnt be in F1.

Don't cry out Spain 2012 because I admit I have no answer for it! Since then he's been atrocious.

It was a fluke I put down to their being a different winner for the first what was it 7/8 races that year. All the teams were struggling to work out how the tyres were.

For me, it's not that he won a race... I mean Trulli won a race didn't he, but the fact he's not even come close to matching that. That's my gauge of how good he is.

I want him out of F1, but my other preferred option is I want him in the Lotus. Think of him as a trojan horse. He can go in there and pretty much kill off that pathetic team and put them out of their misery.

It was a fluke I put down to their being a different winner for the first what was it 7/8 races that year. All the teams were struggling to work out how the tyres were.

For me, it's not that he won a race... I mean Trulli won a race didn't he, but the fact he's not even come close to matching that. That's my gauge of how good he is.

I want him out of F1, but my other preferred option is I want him in the Lotus. Think of him as a trojan horse. He can go in there and pretty much kill off that pathetic team and put them out of their misery.

Lol yea it would be more entertaining having Maldonado in the Lotus, but at the same it'd annoy me because he doesn't deserve it.

Trulli kicked a$$ at monaco 2004! He deserved that win, & got pole position, even though I was so angry at the time because Jenson was all over his gearbox for the last 10 laps or so and couldnt get past. Admittedly I can't think of him almost winning since or before. Trulli was hard done by Briatore, he was beating Alonso all year and got dumped.

I see your point though. Although in my books Trulli was 10 times the driver (all-round) that Maldonado could ever be.

Lol yea it would be more entertaining having Maldonado in the Lotus, but at the same it'd annoy me because he doesn't deserve it.

Trulli kicked a$$ at monaco 2004! He deserved that win, & got pole position, even though I was so angry at the time because Jenson was all over his gearbox for the last 10 laps or so and couldnt get past. Admittedly I can't think of him almost winning since or before. Trulli was hard done by Briatore, he was beating Alonso all year and got dumped.

I see your point though. Although in my books Trulli was 10 times the driver (all-round) that Maldonado could ever be.

That's because he never won a race after Monaco '04. Got a few poles with Toyota but never had the race pace. I also remember that race very well. In fact it was that race and Schumacher on the top step of the podium which were my only memories of the 2004 season :P

Maldonado had a good car in 2012. He made the most of that on a few occasions, but typically over-drove and ruined his race while running in the points.

This year, Maldonado has avoided controversy on-track. His car's just so terrible that no one notices it. He's improved a lot, but the car's gotten far worse.

I think he'd surprise a lot of you at Lotus.

I hope he does.

No way, he is an idiot. Here he is months ago saying he would want to never leave Williams as he believes he has what it takes to turn them around, then he comes out and says he would rather go home than drive a "slow" car again, stating basically he deserves a better car, why? Because you won 1 gp and then say after that one fluke win that he can win the title. Bah!! The guy doesn't know what he wants, he needs to change his attitude and realise he is there solely on cash not on merit, simple as that,his lucky to be driving one, doesnt know how good he has got it, id swap my backbreaking, 6 days a week construction job with him. IMO Bottas has driven better than him this season.

Yeah that's why I mentioned it. Trulli only won a race, and he was considerablly better than Maldonado.

I think Maldonado is out of Williams because not only do they not rate him at all, and they have seem some top drivers go through that team, but I think honestly there is no more cash cow from his backers. Not in the range of $30m at least. I've heard various thigns from PDSVA have had have their funds frozen, or froze them themselves, to they are going just fine and there are not problems.

Ralf and Montoya were miles ahead of Maldonado. Heidfeld and Heikki I rate higher than him. I probably rate Bruno Senna as better as well, but I didn't pay much attention to him when he was in F1. Rubens, Massa, Trulli, even Fisi, I rate all as better drivers.

I still want to see him in the Lotus with Perez as a team mate. I mean what's not to love about that. Then we can all hate on BOTH drivers at the team all at once. It's so convenient.

Yeah but he is taking a spot of someone who deserves it more. I can't stand him, he looks like a muppet and just talks crap. Loves Williams, can win the championship after one win, hatesWilliams, would rather stay at home, hope to stay with Williams, glad he is leaving. That's what I mean, doesn't know what he is saying, just be greatful your doing a job all of us would love to do for FREE.

That's because he never won a race after Monaco '04. Got a few poles with Toyota but never had the race pace. I also remember that race very well. In fact it was that race and Schumacher on the top step of the podium which were my only memories of the 2004 season tongue.png

Don't forget Jenson's pole position at Imola!! Highlight of the year! And the Williams walrus-nose.

I still want to see him in the Lotus with Perez as a team mate. I mean what's not to love about that. Then we can all hate on BOTH drivers at the team all at once. It's so convenient.

Lol agree with you there.

Pastor is coming across as rather arrogant, see his comments in this bbc article. He has the gall to say he's brought more to williams than they have to him, despite him crashing their cars countless times. Ungrateful (for the opportunity) is an understatement. Good riddance! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24946741

Have a read of this jem...

It's in reference to Perez' arrogance. As for Maldonado's I saw that arrogance in him very early on. He's acting like an a**hole now, but he's always been one from what I can see. He brought nothing to Williams accept sponsorship money that wasn't his.

I'm glad both these guys will soon be out of the top teams and hopefully out of F1 for good... unless of course Lotus come knocking. Then I'll even buy their damn t-shirts again and watch in glee as they combust and hopefully go kaput.

Ah yes the Walrus. Have you guys actually noticed that some of the cars now almost resemble that look? It hit me this year actually. I was going, you know what the designs on some of the cars now, remind me a little of the walrus. I know they are not as wide as it was, but the outside uprights do look similar on some of the cars now.

I miss the Williams from the Ralf and Montoya era. They won races! They were fast, and that was probably the last genuine period of time Williams were a top top team.