Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Alonso To Mclaren In 2015?

Read a story today that Mclaren are chasing fernando alonso for 2015. I dont know how much weight it holds but when you think about it, it makes way for Vettel who inetivably will join Ferrari in the "near" future. I always thought fernando would retire at Ferrari, what you think about this?

So far Whitmarsh has said that he wants or wanted Kimi, Alonso and Hammy. Then he said he's keen on a couple of youngsters. For gods sake - just sack Perez and worry about the other driver later. It seems like every day he's openly pondering who he could have instead of Perez. Jeez!!

Actually alot of us here have been saying Alonso won't retire at Ferrari. Far from it, I think if he doesn't jump ship and signup with a new team for next year, then in 2015 he will have something sorted. Thus he won't worry too much about Kimi next year, just like he did nothing in the Renault for 2 years after McLaren, knowing he was off to Ferrari.

Alonso has burned his Ferrari bridges already I think. He might still be there, but the gloss has worn off, he's not the chosen one, and they are preparing for a new chapter with Kimi, and probably Vettel in 2015. Buy then he might be a 5x WDC, and even if he never won another one, could spend several good years at Ferrari getting race wins and cementing his status as an all time great.

Ferrari are not a team who are acting as though Alonso is their long term future. I believe that's the reason they re-hired Kimi anyway to protect themselves, not if, but when Alonso leaves.

Vettel and Kimi together at Ferrari!!! Seriously that would be epic.

McLaren are sometimes stupid, but they don't stay stupid for too long. If they can get Alonso, they will try damn well hard to get him. Perez isn't their future. He's not liked by anyone outside his own country from what I can see. Button isn't going to win them much if anything, at least not in a mediocre car. I don't mind Button, I just don't think he's in the same league as the top 4. McLaren need someone they can rally around. Just look how Lotus took to having Kimi there. So Alonso in their team would have the same effect, and I think would be pretty awesome actually. Button could be the #2 or something.

And curse you Eddie. You clearly are on Bernie's speed dial aint ya, since you have all these tidbits of info you are just dying to share. And clearly anyone that tells you these "secrets" knows full well you are going to "leak" them like clockwork.

The writing is on the wall for Alonso. Luca scolded him too, so there is clearly alot more going on behind the scenes. And going from Alonso's manipulative history, from blackmailing Ron, to working with the stolen designs with PDR, to accusing Renault of not wanting him to win the WDC, he can turn like a piranha. It's not so grim as a certainty for me. He won't be at Ferrari in 2015, and I have a feeling won't even be there for 2014.

Actually alot of us here have been saying Alonso won't retire at Ferrari. Far from it, I think if he doesn't jump ship and signup with a new team for next year, then in 2015 he will have something sorted. Thus he won't worry too much about Kimi next year, just like he did nothing in the Renault for 2 years after McLaren, knowing he was off to Ferrari.

Alonso has burned his Ferrari bridges already I think. He might still be there, but the gloss has worn off, he's not the chosen one, and they are preparing for a new chapter with Kimi, and probably Vettel in 2015. Buy then he might be a 5x WDC, and even if he never won another one, could spend several good years at Ferrari getting race wins and cementing his status as an all time great.

Ferrari are not a team who are acting as though Alonso is their long term future. I believe that's the reason they re-hired Kimi anyway to protect themselves, not if, but when Alonso leaves.

McLaren are sometimes stupid, but they don't stay stupid for too long. If they can get Alonso, they will try damn well hard to get him. Perez isn't their future. He's not liked by anyone outside his own country from what I can see. Button isn't going to win them much if anything, at least not in a mediocre car. I don't mind Button, I just don't think he's in the same league as the top 4. McLaren need someone they can rally around. Just look how Lotus took to having Kimi there. So Alonso in their team would have the same effect, and I think would be pretty awesome actually. Button could be the #2 or something.

And curse you Eddie. You clearly are on Bernie's speed dial aint ya, since you have all these tidbits of info you are just dying to share. And clearly anyone that tells you these "secrets" knows full well you are going to "leak" them like clockwork.

The writing is on the wall for Alonso. Luca scolded him too, so there is clearly alot more going on behind the scenes. And going from Alonso's manipulative history, from blackmailing Ron, to working with the stolen designs with PDR, to accusing Renault of not wanting him to win the WDC, he can turn like a piranha. It's not so grim as a certainty for me. He won't be at Ferrari in 2015, and I have a feeling won't even be there for 2014.

Very well said.

lovely lovely stuff!

You have the abilty to move me man, go write a bestseller book or something! But get it done damnit!

As I said in the other thread, we've had a role in doing this to ourselves by becoming headline-scanners and Twitter followers. It's so easy to spread misinformation when people are eagerly willing to consume it...

...not that this excuses a lack of journalistic integrity, because it doesn't. I'm not necessarily an Alonso supporter (in theory, I support everyone in F1, in the hopes that everyone driving well would make for a good race), but I cannot express how much I hope he stays at Ferrari and absolutely dominates Räikkönen. It's nothing against Räikkönen, of course; I like him equally to Alonso. I just want to see how people would react if Alonso didn't run away, or wasn't defeated. It's a lack of respect to Alonso as a driver (I understand people have concerns about him as a sportsman, and that's fine, but as a driver, in isolation of that) to always be assuming that he can't handle a situation to the point that we must constantly be speculating some dramatic exit from every team for which he races. I find that attitude no better than the one often-employed by the U.S. English-language commentators, which suggests that Alonso is the second best driver in the world behind Hülkenberg. They portray a race in which Alonso drives a Marussia to a 7-lap margin of victory, not one in which he drives a decent Ferrari to higher than where he qualified. Either way portrays Alonso in a way that demeans him; we either demean him by flat-out saying he can't handle Ferrari or Räikkönen or pressure or whatever, or we demean him by making him out to be able to walk on water such that when he doesn't he's a total letdown and "fair game" for incredible criticism.

Not that I feel bad for him, or think he cares. I just wonder what environment we (we not really being anyone...just being a word, I guess...that's so careless of me...) created both in general for journalism, and specifically for Alonso, that invites all this.

Not that I feel bad for him, or think he cares. I just wonder what environment we (we not really being anyone...just being a word, I guess...that's so careless of me...) created both in general for journalism, and specifically for Alonso, that invites all this.

It's the troll inside us all when it come to sports. Actually, it's pretty depressing if it weren't for my suspicion that it is somehow healthy that people vents these feelings and hatred on sports, rather than on other spheres of life.

Edited a long rambling explanation on the good things about Nando that people chose to ignore but it's useless. They will be dismissed as fanboyism :D

They are there, though.

It's no good complaining about the gutter press and continuing to read gutter press websites. Okay, maybe nobody who complains is actually reading the stories or visiting the URL's regularly and they simply hear about the story and comment here (like I am, in this case), but that is my starting point on the "gutter press" issue.

As for what I can gather from the story: it was merely a confirmation of the obvious. Any team would be looking to sign Alonso if the circumstances were right. That the question is even being asked is indicative of a percieved tension between Alonso and Ferrari which has at least some basis in reality, including a public scorning from LdM and a complete reversal of strategy regarding driver policy (something which Alonso may well be unhappy with as most other drivers would be if they went from having a team centred around them to bringing in another strong driver). Add that to the fact Ferrari haven't given Alonso a WDC winning car, which is the main underlying issue behind all of this, and you can at least see why the question is reasonable from the media's POV. I agree some of the headlines and conclusions may be sensationalist, but that's the media perogative. Media sensationalism and poor journalism is a dangerous thing in other areas, like politics, but not so much in sports, and shouldn't be something for anyone who sees through it to actually be too concerned about. Do you really care that there are people who lap up bad F1 journalism to confirm their pre-existing opinions? I think it's a shame but I don't.

In terms of the story, I do think it's a fanciful rumour about 2014 but then again, stranger things have happened. But I expect Alonso at Ferrari in 2014. 2015 is a much more valid question. That's because contracts don't mean anything (esp. in F1) and Mclaren-Honda might be the start of a powerful combination that might be more attractive than Ferrari in 2015 and the only option available to Alonso. That will all depend on how Ferrari's new engine turns out and how competitive Raikkonen is against Alonso. I personally think the determining factor for whether Alonso stays at Ferrari in 2015 is the strength of the 2014 package/percieved strength of the 2015 package, rather than any issues with Raikkonen. I think Alonso will have Raikkonen covered on track, and their maturity and experience should help off the track, should any flare ups occur. That said, Raikkonen's performance could be a factor too.

It's a logical move for Alonso but I'd rather have a Red Bull under my butt. Vettel will move on, eventually but he will have Schumacher's record in his sights and he won't achieve it at Ferrari. McLaren have yet to sign Button to an extension beyond 2014. Anything could happen.