Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Are Williams A Spent Force In F1

I must say it is sad to see such a great team well and truly behind the 8 ball like Williams have been. We all know what they are capable of from past history but for whatever reasons they just don't seem to be able to get it all together. I would like to think that Williams will climb back up the ladder next year to be contenders for the title, that would be good for the sport and for the viewing public.

Not much money = not much chance. If they could secure a deal like they had with Bimmer, then maybe they will have a chance again. But to be at the level of McLaren, Ferrari and RBR takes a lot of money.

I put it down to all these regulation changes over the years that have hurts teams like Williams. The were basically dominant from 1980 up till 1998. When the first lot or changes came in.

I'd love to see Williams improve, mostly because I'm interested in Maldonado and Bottas as drivers. However, I would think that if their role in F1 changes, it will be getting to run Mercedes' young drivers at a reduced engine cost (such as Sauber has in the past). Maybe a Juncadella or a Wickens or a Merhi or a Vietoris (sounds like Hartley will be a sports car guy for life, now alleged to be joining Webber at Porsche's P1 program). To be honest, that would solve little; they already have a perfectly competent driver lineup...

I just don't see how they come back. Like HandyNZL says, a partnership with a manufacturer would make a difference, but we'd actually need interest from a new one. Honda could have had just about any team; they went with McLaren. Until BMW et al become more than just rumor, it's hard to see that opportunity for Williams. Even then, if a new supplier joined, would that supplier choose Williams? Why not the more-competent-and-once-the-BMW-team Sauber?