Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Kimi To Miss Final Two Races, And Have Back Surgery.

Oh, you guys.

When a driver like Maldonado or Pérez gets a ride, the forum explodes about how "pay drivers" are taking all the opportunities.

Now, a chance for Davide Valsecchi, one of the "lost generation" of junior formula champions, the very people (Wickens, Guerrieri, Pantano, et al) who were apparently "screwed," and everyone wants...Kovalainen?! Heidfeld?!

Come on. tongue.png

I'd just rather see a familiar face from a driver whose career was cut short, than another rookie I've never heard of that may or may not even been in F1 in 1-2 years time.

It was pretty evident to me after his accident he was done for and would never be back in F1. His hand is beyond stuffed, and won't ever function anywhere near close to normal again. With the confined c#ckpits, he might be able to kind of lock that hand into the steering wheel, and then do all the button pressing with his other hand, but he's hardly got any motor skills, rotation or anything it. I'm not even sure he can hold a cup in that hand. I feel very sorry for Kubica. I was never a fan of his, and was kind of p**sed off back in the day when he de-seated JV. He did have talent. Not sure about all this he was the best, and as good as Alonso and all that stuff. He wasn't in my view, and had only shown enough that he could have been maybe a driver on par with Button or Webber. I never saw a Vettel, Alonso or Kimi in him.

Yeah, but I truly don't think we saw the best of kubica, seemed in 2010 he was evolving nicely as a front running driver, then the accident happened, I don't think we saw the best of him at that point.

That's my point, you didn't see the best of him, none of us did. So how can people them claim he was a great, a guaranteed WDC in the making. He wasn't and didn't is the factual reality. He could of.... is where it ends for him. For what he achieved on the race track, how on earth can people claim he was one of the best, in the Alonso, Kimi, Vettel league of great. Not sure what you were watching, but I didn't see anything other than a good middle to higher in the pack F1 driver.

Man he showed glimpses of how fast he can actually be in 2010, if kimi was driving that Renault you could bet people would say how well he did to score the amount of points and podiums finishes he did.

laugh.png Ok, that was a good one!

But jokes aside, you know what I mean (I hope). And no, Lotus' financial problems do not excuse his behavior this entire year. I never thought much of Kimi. When he left in 2009 I thought he was lucky to leave being paid, considering that he was being thoroughly beaten by Massa (!). The "Kimi lost his mojo, but not his money" era.

Then he came back, and i was the first to admit that he was impressive, and even if I never understood all these kimiliebers and their love for a guy with the stare and charisma of a lobotomized cow, I didn't have much to object, precisely because there's nothing more harmless than a lobotomized cow tongue.png

So, the monosyllabic guy was fast and furious on track and was good to have him back.

But this year his performance again went down like in 2009 and, even worse, the iceman became the ice(ice) baby. So bad he was, in fact, that Hamilton's (yearly) existencial crisis went almost unnoticed. Not even Alonso having his ear tweaked was enough this year. I can't see how not fulfilling his contractual obligations is going to help him. He managed to turn Lotus financial problems into a huge PR disaster. But that's it. That only compounded the team's problems.

Ferrari chose the wrong Lotus driver.

Kimi did a great job in the Ferrari in 2009 especially in the end of the season, he scored the second most most points of all the drivers, bar Lewis who outscored him by one point. And Ferrari had stopped development in July already that year, the Ferrari just wasn't good that season.

As for this season, Kimi had a terrible strategy in India thanks to Permane, he could have been on podium if Lotus had given him a proper strategy right from the start. He did well in qualifying in Abu Dhabi only to be send to back of the grid. But people easily seem to forget that Kimi had just scored two podiums prior to these two races.

A delay in payment is not necessarily a breach of the contract and that's what clauses for late payments are for. In any case, not fulfilling his obligations is no legal or even rational way to make things right. Is merely a rather messy expression of frustration.

From a non-legal, but merely "common sensical" point of view: the team's financial problems were well known, affecting not only Kimi and object of furious negotiations to solve them which ended up in the Quantum agreement. They had a problem and they worked to solve it. Whether or not the problem could have been solved earlier/in a more efficient way none of us is in the best position to judge. But if they couldn't pay the lower staff's salaries, much less they would be able to pay Kimi's salary.

So all the hair pulling and the backstabbing and the overall extremely rude behavior from Kimi didnt get them a single cent closer to paying his money.

Again, what they did is bad and a commercial disaster, but a commercial issue and were open about it. What Kimi did was exactly what these people would say Alonso and Lewis (and Vettel!) do all the time.

It involves toys. wink.png

A delayed payment of 11 months is a bit much. Just look at Sauber for example, they have last payed Hulkenberg in May, just they immediately announced openly and publicly that they will not be able to pay him anymore, and they have released him from his contract, he is free to drive for whoever he wants or not to drive at all. There is no confusion about the Sauber situation.

Lotus just have themselves to thank for the position they are currently in. Kimi hasn't said much about his salary the whole year long, he was only open about the salary problems after the incident in India. The incident in India could have been avoided if they had only given Kimi a proper race strategy in that race. Clearly Kimi wasn't happy that they were insinuating that he was not a team-player, when he hasn't been paid all season long. http://www1.skysport...n-the-indian-gp

On top of that Lotus has lied and deceived the public continually, regarding the issue:

9 July 2013 - "It was paid late, yes," Boullier said.

Asked if Raikkonen's salary was now up to date, Boullier replied: "Yes."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mula1/23238016#

October 10 2013 - "Everybody has been paid. You can ask anyone in our company," said Boullier.

http://www.sportingl...com/formula1/ne ... otus-deals

The Quantum deal is nothing but a smokescreen, no money has materialized yet, and no money will properly ever materialize.

Paying lower staff salaries isn't exactly Kimi's responsibility as he isn't in charge of the budget. Lotus have actually spend millions this season on expensive marketing videos from Riley Scott for example. Perhaps they could have used that money better?

Even Kimi's back injury is because of a direct result of Lotus's actions. They didn't fasten his seat properly in Singapore. They barely mentioned anything about it, and was it not for the Mclaren doctor and Vettel's personal trainer, then Kimi would not have been able to race. Lotus didn't exactly show a lot of concern in that situation for their injured driver.

Kimi has had back problems before, In 2006 he had surgery on a hairline fracture in the vertebrae, in 2010 he had surgery on a herniated disc. After the Singapore incident he injured his rib, vertebra joint and the transverse joint. Alonso is having problems with his back after a 15g bump over a curb after Abu Dhabi. The incident that disqualified Kimi from qualifying was a 21g bump over the curbs, it could very well be that Kimi just aggravated the already existing injury. Kimi isn't really one who discuss these sort of things, when he broke his wrist just before the start of the 2012 season, he said his wrist was only a bit sore, it was only later that people learned that he had to receive an operation and that his wrist was actually broken. The back issue could more serious or more immanent then people release. Unlike Alonso or Lewis example, who always post what they are doing on twitter, Kimi just doesn't say much about these sort of things.

I've read that those comments about Boullier saying Kimi's salary was now all paid and up to date in July 2013, was actually Kimi's 2012 salary. So yes he is a liar and so is Lopez who is the real problem with Lotus.

I've been saying it for weeks, so it's nice to see someone else say it too. Quantum is a hoax. There is NO money, no deal, no contract with them. Lopez used them to conveniently distract and deflect the uproar after India and Kimi stating he hadn't been paid a single Euro in Abu Dhabi. They were a way to deflect things, as only one day later, they were suddenly back on the scene and ready to save the team. But is all BS and lies. Quantum are nothing more than a foil that Lopez uses when it's convenient.

Some good comments you make there Boudica about Kimi's injury. I didn't know he'd had that much problem with his back. I hope his operation is a success and he's fighting fit for the first tests next year.

Even Kimi's back injury is because of a direct result of Lotus's actions. They didn't fasten his seat properly in Singapore. They barely mentioned anything about it, and was it not for the Mclaren doctor and Vettel's personal trainer, then Kimi would not have been able to race. Lotus didn't exactly show a lot of concern in that situation for their injured driver.

Kimi has had back problems before, In 2006 he had surgery on a hairline fracture in the vertebrae, in 2010 he had surgery on a herniated disc. After the Singapore incident he injured his rib, vertebra joint and the transverse joint. Alonso is having problems with his back after a 15g bump over a curb after Abu Dhabi. The incident that disqualified Kimi from qualifying was a 21g bump over the curbs, it could very well be that Kimi just aggravated the already existing injury.

He helped him?

This usually is followed by one of my infamous walls of text, but...seriously:

Load of fanboi crap.

Other than that, have a long life.

Kovalainen being appointed as Kimi's replacement at Lotus is a bit surprising as he was still involved with the Caterham team who lost the Lotus banner to Genii & Lopez in some court case. Then again he's probably the best available candidate for the job. He's a solid driver. Reminds me of Trulli in some regards; never gonna be a world champion but is always someone you could rely on to get a few points & is well respected among the F1 paddock.

Even Kimi's back injury is because of a direct result of Lotus's actions. They didn't fasten his seat properly in Singapore.

What's the source of that information?? Hadn't heard that before.

Out of all the parties, Ferrari would I'm sure be the most informed as to the nature of his back injury. It could be really bad, it could be minor. I don't doubt he has one, it's just to the extent of it. Whether he used it as an excuse to walk about from Lotus, I don't think so however. When has Kimi ever not just said what he thinks, or done what he wants to do. He is able to be diplomatic as well and say things in a way that doesn't come across as a whinge or criticism. Alot of his supporters here have seen him just give straight up answers to things over the years. He doesn't mix his words or play games so to speak. He often really does speak his mind. Whereas Webber get's the tag of a straight shooter, and saying it like it is, Kimi is really more that way minus the whinging and back handedness of Webber.

Webber does tell it how it is, what does he have to die like senna to be seen as just as outspoken and on the tip it is. I think he speaks his mind just like senna did. "Not bad for a number 2 driver"

"Seb will get protection as usual"

Whats whinging about that? That is the truth isn't it? And you know he has spoken out alot more than that. If he ever releases another book, it will open alot of eyes I thinks.

Webber does tell it how it is, what does he have to die like senna to be seen as just as outspoken and on the tip it is. I think he speaks his mind just like senna did. "Not bad for a number 2 driver"

"Seb will get protection as usual"

Whats whinging about that? That is the truth isn't it? And you know he has spoken out alot more than that. If he ever releases another book, it will open alot of eyes I thinks.

I'll just touch on this one point you made. The fact is Webber has and had more protection in RBR than Vettel ever did. Why? Because even if he had problems with Vettel, Horner, Newey and Marko, he was Mateschitz's boy! He had a friendly personal relationship with the über boss himself and thus it didn't matter what the others thought of him. That's how he got away with is insolence and antics in Silverstone and Brazil. Had he not been the teachers bosses pet, he probably would have found his a## on the scrap heap after Brazil 2012. So it's a bit rich coming from him, about Seb getting the usual protection.

Webber has made a good part of his career playing the underdog, the hard done by guy. I'm not saying what he sometimes says is not true, but there's an agenda there ALWAYS. Seb never aired the teams dirty laundry in public. Webber did whenever he got a chance. He openly backed Alonso over his own team mate in front of reporters a few times. He openly stated he wasn't going to be helping Vettel in his championship runs. Yes that is being honest, but it's also being other things too.

You can be outspoken and tell the truth and not have an axe to grind, or get critical or snarky about it. But Webber just can't seem to ever do that. After he announced he retirement, he for me because a way more likeable person. He stopped doing that BS and just looked to be be enjoying himself more, no matter what happened on the track.

But Webber was no more the victim or hero, than Vettel was the villian.

One thing I will say is that Mark Webber knows Seb Vettel on a personal level FAR more than any of us, and Mark thinks Seb is a little pr*ck. Ergo, Seb must be a little pr*ck and I will assume that to be truth biggrin.png

One thing I will say is that Mark Webber knows Seb Vettel on a personal level FAR more than any of us, and Mark thinks Seb is a little pr*ck. Ergo, Seb must be a little pr*ck and I will assume that to be truth biggrin.png

The guy who owns the construction company I work for is German. Had nothing and now he is one of of not the biggest construction company in Australia,earns $50mil a year and he has the exact same attitude, the way he speak and comes accross is exactly the same as Vettel and you know what? My boss is an absolute a$$hole, would sell his own mother if he could, worked his old man to the grave. Not saying Vettel is the same, but from my life experience so far, you meet certain people and can tell they will act similar to another type of person you have met before. The apple never falls far from the tree so to speak.

The guy who owns the construction company I work for is German. Had nothing and now he is one of of not the biggest construction company in Australia,earns $50mil a year and he has the exact same attitude, the way he speak and comes accross is exactly the same as Vettel and you know what? My boss is an absolute a$$hole, would sell his own mother if he could, worked his old man to the grave.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to convey but then I am blonde. My apologies.

I tend to believe more Marks recent words of praise for Vettel. I saw a recent episode of Top Gear that Webber was on. He was a d#ck basically, playing to the audience about how his Dad told him to never hit boys. This was in reference to him having a go at Vettel for Malaysia. Get real Mark. You chose to play that game in Silverstone and again almost take your team mate out in Brazil 2012. What's that old saying about those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Webber would know more about Vettel than us. Iam not trying to defend him here, but mark is a full grown man that is realistically, old enough to be a grandfather. Why would a bloke as his age even make remarks like that for unless he is really pi$$ed off? Doesn't make sense, you want as much support as you can get and not come of as a w4nker to the public. Well atleast I would be embarrassed with some of his comments made if I were him and they wernt true. Just doesnt make sense to rattle of like that when he knows he will never get what he wants, he comes accross more intelligent than that, so there for I think there is more than meets the eye in this situation. But thats just an opinion. Plus like I've said before iam not bragging or trying to prove my point but I work with Sam Michael's brother and he has said to my mate that Vettel is always the talk of the pit lane and its not because of his victories, he said he is quite rude and arrogant most of the time. But this is just information I have been told, it shouldn't be taken as guranteed, but just something to think about. Just makes me think because when you see webber being intervied and asked a question, he always pauses, it's like he is thinking of what to say and how to word it.

he has said to my mate that Vettel is always the talk of the pit lane and its not because of his victories, he said he is quite rude and arrogant most of the time. But this is just information I have been told, it shouldn't be taken as guranteed, but just something to think about. Just makes me think because when you see webber being intervied and asked a question, he always pauses, it's like he is thinking of what to say and how to word it.

On the other hand, we have people like James Allen saying that if people (especially those who don't like Vettel) actually met him, they'd find out that he's very likeable and friendly guy.